Rick Dutrow Appeal Hearing Set for March 16

BlindLucky

Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:04 pm

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/ ... z3UIfzdBNW
A federal judge has scheduled a March 16 hearing in trainer Rick Dutrow Jr.'s appeal of the action by New York regulators in which his license was revoked for 10 years.

The latest hearing is an appeal of a decision last July by U.S. District Judge Sandra L. Townes in which she ruled the federal court did not have jurisdiction over Dutrow's lawsuit and that it was a case for state courts except when shown that the plaintiff's (Dutrow's) constitutional rights have been violated.
Photos from my racing travels: ThoroughbredJourney.com
Rick1323

Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:10 pm

I hope he catches a break. He is more stupid than evil....and he was the designated scapegoat.....
Everyone come home sound.....
BaroqueAgain1

Fri Mar 13, 2015 11:45 pm

It's true...I think being too outspoken and unapologetic made Rick a target. Yeah, he had too many positives, and that made him a perfect scapegoat, but...
I don't remember reading stuff about Dutrow that indicated he was treating his horses badly. He's supposed to be a good horseman, according to some in the business.
I've never read about him hiring anyone who used a nail or buzzer on one of his horses. Or gluing a horse's deteriorating hoof back together just so he could make a race. Or that horses in his stable developed fatal liver illnesses, or dropped dead of cardiac issues.
IIRC, his drug positives haven't been for cobalt or dermorphin, and I don't think he has a rep for running them until they break. Or sneaking used-up racers out the back in a van headed for Canada.
Damn...I think I miss Rick. :?
Bookman

Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:17 am

BaroqueAgain1 wrote: I've never read about him hiring anyone who used a nail or buzzer on one of his horses. Or gluing a horse's deteriorating hoof back together just so he could make a race. Or that horses in his stable developed fatal liver illnesses, or dropped dead of cardiac issues.
IIRC, his drug positives haven't been for cobalt or dermorphin, and I don't think he has a rep for running them until they break. Or sneaking used-up racers out the back in a van headed for Canada.
Damn...I think I miss Rick. :?
Or heel nerving a horse, then selling him off to race at lower ranks like one of the "good guys" did.
“I wish you could run the races with no jocks and just put chickens on ’em.” - Billy Gowan
stark

Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:28 am

Bookman wrote:
Or heel nerving a horse, then selling him off to race at lower ranks like one of the "good guys" did.
If that's the Pope story you're referring to, I wish we could hear from the other side, as we all know there's always two sides to a story and I think we only heard from the accusers?
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
Ballerina

Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:33 am

Bring Rick back. He's a big mouth, but so what. He's a great horseman, and I haven't heard of horses breaking down on the track or horses being abused. How the heck does Jacobson manage to keep his license?!~
Bookman

Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:55 am

stark wrote:
If that's the Pope story you're referring to, I wish we could hear from the other side, as we all know there's always two sides to a story and I think we only heard from the accusers?
Nope, Mandella. You can search for more, but here are a couple of links. I guess, the "heel nerving" procedure is up for discussion, but the disclosure? Ethics are important.

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/ ... el-nerving
http://www.drf.com/news/cant-go-wrong-full-disclosure
Ballerina wrote:Bring Rick back. He's a big mouth, but so what. He's a great horseman, and I haven't heard of horses breaking down on the track or horses being abused. How the heck does Jacobson manage to keep his license?!~
I agree. I suppose that Rick just ticked off one too many official. People have brought up stats regarding overages in the past by "top" trainers, but they are more polished than Dutrow and say nice things in front of the cameras.
“I wish you could run the races with no jocks and just put chickens on ’em.” - Billy Gowan
Starine

Sun Mar 15, 2015 12:28 pm

I don't really feel sorry for him. A dog can bite so many times before he is put down.
Tessablue

Sun Mar 15, 2015 12:36 pm

Bring him back, then ask him to give other trainers tips on how to keep their horses from dying. Seems some of them have trouble getting the hang of it.
Ballerina

Sun Mar 15, 2015 12:51 pm

Tessablue wrote:Bring him back, then ask him to give other trainers tips on how to keep their horses from dying. Seems some of them have trouble getting the hang of it.
Bookman

Sun Mar 15, 2015 2:56 pm

Tessablue wrote:Bring him back, then ask him to give other trainers tips on how to keep their horses from dying. Seems some of them have trouble getting the hang of it.
He could hold classes, but would the "White Hair Wonder" and Teflon Todd attend?

@starine, yep let's give anyone with 3 strikes the out. See how many remain.
Starine

Sun Mar 15, 2015 3:02 pm

Bookman wrote:@starine, yep let's give anyone with 3 strikes the out. See how many remain.
31 pages of violations goes way beyond 3 strikes.
Bookman

Sun Mar 15, 2015 3:11 pm

Starine wrote:
Where do you see "31 pages". Please link.

What do you feel would be a good threshold between keep and get rid of?[/quote]
Bookman

Sun Mar 15, 2015 3:11 pm

Bookman wrote:
Starine wrote:
Where do you see "31 pages"? Please link.

What do you feel would be a good threshold between keep and get rid of?
[/quote]
Starine

Sun Mar 15, 2015 3:13 pm

Bookman wrote:
Starine wrote:
Where do you see "31 pages". Please link.
My apologies: It's actually 33.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B265yM ... view?pli=1
dustino140

Sun Mar 15, 2015 3:26 pm

After reading "Failure to have foal papers" about a dozen times in that link (and other like violations), it seems many of Dutrow's issues could've been solved by employing a diligent housekeeper.
Catalina

Sun Mar 15, 2015 3:28 pm

Rick1323 wrote:I hope he catches a break. He is more stupid than evil....and he was the designated scapegoat.....
Hope he does, too. He seems a far better horseman than so very many.
dustino140

Sun Mar 15, 2015 3:31 pm

Catalina wrote:
Rick1323 wrote:I hope he catches a break. He is more stupid than evil....and he was the designated scapegoat.....
Hope he does, too. He seems a far better horseman than so very many.
The issue I have is not with kicking Dutrow out, per se, but it's every time that other trainers with 'questionable' resumes are still welcome in NY. Either kick them out or have Dutrow back. I don't see how you can have it both ways. Frankly, I'd prefer the former.
Catalina

Sun Mar 15, 2015 3:48 pm

Starine wrote:
Bookman wrote:@starine, yep let's give anyone with 3 strikes the out. See how many remain.
Those 31 pages weren't just violations (a lot of which were plain stupid), but they also included entries on fines paid for violations listed in separate entries.
Kurenai
Site Admin

Sun Mar 15, 2015 5:03 pm

Compared to what's been going on recently (horses dropping dead etc etc), I sure wish Dutrow would be back. I never really liked him, but never thought he treats his horses badly. He was a victim of his loud mouth (or honesty, remember the comment about steroids). Asmussen, Baffert & Co have all their violations too, yet they aren't banned. Either all or nobody IMO. So yeah, I'm actually rooting for him to make it back to the track.