American Pharoah

Somnambulist

Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:05 am

thinair wrote:One of the best things about my job is I have a very good excuse not to have to go to things like that on the truly important days:-)
Want an assistant for the day?

What would I do without my smart phone...
Tessablue

Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:13 pm

Somnambulist wrote:
swale1984 wrote: same here. I go into the Derby looking for a TC horse. I am sure he can gut out 10F. I don't think he's got the pedigree or foundation to get the Belmont.

I think, of all of the top point horses, International Star is a huge threat. He's a grinding type that gutted out every victory in Louisiana, while AP had the Rebel and Arkansas Derby handed to him on a platter.
International Star is slooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow. Too slow. This is Ramsey's best hope to date, but when Kitten Kitten has run every other year that isn't saying much.

I think this crop is too deep for a TC winner this year. I really do hope I'm wrong; I'm not getting younger.
I'm actually pretty sure that his final quarter last out was the fastest/among the fastest of the major preps, and his late pace figures were definitely the highest by a pretty far margin. He closed really well and hasn't really caught a non-slow pace all spring (and no closer is getting a high BSF running into a 1:38 mile), so who knows. Tossing Ramseys in the Derby is so reflexive that taking this one seriously actually feels kind of odd and unnatural.

Agree that the crop is very deep, or at least appears to be (2006 never forget), but who knows- none of them have really faced each other so it's hard to say if one really does stand out above the rest. Not gonna get my hopes up, though.
ElPrado2

Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:58 pm

I think this year we are just going to have to follow all the works and see who is really taking to the track. Animal Kingdom as an example. No one thought he would devour the track like he did once he got there, but he LOVED the track.
BlindLucky

Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:38 pm

I just saw a blurb in a video from HRN that said AP's tail was chewed off as a yearling by Mr. Z and El Kabeir, I guess they were kept together.
Photos from my racing travels: ThoroughbredJourney.com
Diver52

Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:00 pm

BlindLucky wrote:I just saw a blurb in a video from HRN that said AP's tail was chewed off as a yearling by Mr. Z and El Kabeir, I guess they were kept together.
Its PAYBACK time, guys. :twisted:
I ran marathons. I saw the Taj Mahal by Moonlight. I drove Highway 1 in a convertible. I petted Zenyatta.
Northport

Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:44 pm

BlindLucky wrote:I just saw a blurb in a video from HRN that said AP's tail was chewed off as a yearling by Mr. Z and El Kabeir, I guess they were kept together.
I wonder if Mr. Z recognized it when AP was galloping away from him at Oaklawn :lol:
weeeeeeeee
Hoist The Flag

Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:08 am

American Pharoah arriving at Churchill:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7fR6I-wheg#t=86
Hoist the Flag was the best horse I ever rode, by far... It wasn't Seattle Slew.
Jean Cruguet
Izvestia

Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:17 am

I love the way he is built. He's very nicely proportioned, good sized, nice muscling, etc. He seems like a cool customer too. Good minds go a long way!
Kay16

Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:54 pm

Izvestia wrote:I love the way he is built. He's very nicely proportioned, good sized, nice muscling, etc. He seems like a cool customer too. Good minds go a long way!

His connections and I've read other people around the barn who work with him have said quite a few times he's a very intelligent horse. He does look it.
Insane Crazy

Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:48 pm

Objectively, I really like this horse for the long-term. He's a nice looking animal, seems like a smart/cool dude, wows the crowd when he runs, and he has a cute physical quirk (the tail) that I find quite endearing.

Subjectively, I feel an instinctive need to dislike him. It's like I can feel a door closing in my brain when I start to clamber on the bandwagon. I think it's a reaction to the number of Derby hype horses I've tried to like, only to see them totally flop on the big day, or to get injured (knock on wood!) before they can really prove themselves. Since I know it's happening I can tell myself to stop, but it doesn't always work. I obviously have no problem with a couple other hype horses, so who knows -- maybe it's the 2yo champ connection. Derby season emotions are fickle but intense.

I hope the best for this dude, though. I'd love to see him rise to his full glory throughout the whole year, not just Derby day!
Not a wholesome trottin' race, no, but a race where they sit down right on the horse!
Like to see some stuck-up jockey boy sittin' on Dan Patch? Make your blood boil? Well, I should say!
Kay16

Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:21 pm

Story behind the misspelling of his name.

http://www.courier-journal.com/story/sp ... /26124733/
Diver52

Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:22 pm

Its getting to the time when seeing a horse's thread suddenly jump to the top makes one's heart sink. . .glad this was just a backstory!
I ran marathons. I saw the Taj Mahal by Moonlight. I drove Highway 1 in a convertible. I petted Zenyatta.
Kay16

Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:28 pm

Diver52 wrote:Its getting to the time when seeing a horse's thread suddenly jump to the top makes one's heart sink. . .glad this was just a backstory!

Sorry :P
BaroqueAgain1

Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:22 pm

Sorry, but that Courier-Journal link is a trainwreck. You can't read the article without getting bombarded by ads, or some ad/survey that you have to fill out to read the rest of the article. Grr...no thanks. :evil:
Kay16

Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:28 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:Sorry, but that Courier-Journal link is a trainwreck. You can't read the article without getting bombarded by ads, or some ad/survey that you have to fill out to read the rest of the article. Grr...no thanks. :evil:

I didn't have a problem. Just click on an answer (any) and it goes away and you can read the article. (might have to do it twice)
Personal Ensign

Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:33 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:Sorry, but that Courier-Journal link is a trainwreck. You can't read the article without getting bombarded by ads, or some ad/survey that you have to fill out to read the rest of the article. Grr...no thanks. :evil:
What browser are you using because I didn't get bombarded by ads or ad/survey when I went to the article, I'm using Firefox
There are other things that I could do, but there's really nothing that I love as much as horse racing. Chantal Sutherland

-Formerly LadyWeaver-
Kay16

Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:37 pm

Personal Ensign wrote:
What browser are you using because I didn't get bombarded by ads or ad/survey when I went to the article, I'm using Firefox

Same here. That or google chrome I've never had a problem.
ElPrado2

Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:42 pm

With firefox there are add ons that block all ads. Every stinking one of them.
Retrospectiv

Thu Apr 23, 2015 2:36 pm

Full brother, already named Irish Pharoah.

Talk about opposites in the chrome department!

"It's been my policy to view the Internet not as an 'information highway', but as an electronic asylum filled with babbling loonies."
Somnambulist

Thu Apr 23, 2015 2:42 pm

Quite the badonkadonk on him.