American Pharoah

dustino140

Mon May 16, 2016 12:50 pm

Evidently it was a very limited run and most stores have only seen 1 or 2 of the bottles.
Insane Crazy

Mon May 16, 2016 12:51 pm

Treve wrote:
Insane Crazy wrote:According to my TimeHop (and past-me's requisite losing of her shit once the rain started), Pharoah's Preakness was one year ago today! How time flies.
I think that Preakness has to be one of my all-time favourites if only because of the sheer madness of it. Insanity as they approached the gates. The lightning strikes in the background. The Horizontal raining. If I had read it in a book or seen it in a film I would have thought it was over-dramaticised. :lol:
My friend and I had an ongoing joke about writing a Pharoah movie, so when the rain was on the radar we thought that could be really dramatic in a film. The fact that it actually unfolded more intensely than we could've ever dreamed is STILL incredible to me. I remember getting goosebumps as Maryland, My Maryland started up and the rain came down so hard you could barely see the horses. Good stuff from the racing gods that day.
Not a wholesome trottin' race, no, but a race where they sit down right on the horse!
Like to see some stuck-up jockey boy sittin' on Dan Patch? Make your blood boil? Well, I should say!
dustino140

Mon May 16, 2016 12:53 pm

Insane Crazy wrote:
Treve wrote:
Insane Crazy wrote:According to my TimeHop (and past-me's requisite losing of her shit once the rain started), Pharoah's Preakness was one year ago today! How time flies.
I think that Preakness has to be one of my all-time favourites if only because of the sheer madness of it. Insanity as they approached the gates. The lightning strikes in the background. The Horizontal raining. If I had read it in a book or seen it in a film I would have thought it was over-dramaticised. :lol:
My friend and I had an ongoing joke about writing a Pharoah movie, so when the rain was on the radar we thought that could be really dramatic in a film. The fact that it actually unfolded more intensely than we could've ever dreamed is STILL incredible to me. I remember getting goosebumps as Maryland, My Maryland started up and the rain came down so hard you could barely see the horses. Good stuff from the racing gods that day.
From my vantage point it was less than ideal.
peeptoad

Mon May 16, 2016 12:53 pm

dustino140 wrote:Evidently it was a very limited run and most stores have only seen 1 or 2 of the bottles.
That's what I was about to post... it must have really limited numbers. I got a hold of one of the Derby Woodford bottles last year, but they had it in the first store I tried ( it was a liquor "warehouse" though and they only had 3 of them).
I did just send an email to Maker's to see if there was another reason no NE state has it.
Insane Crazy

Mon May 16, 2016 12:54 pm

dustino140 wrote:From my vantage point it was less than ideal.
I sympathize after the hell hole that was spending all day in the rain at Orb's Derby, but I stand by my point. :D
Not a wholesome trottin' race, no, but a race where they sit down right on the horse!
Like to see some stuck-up jockey boy sittin' on Dan Patch? Make your blood boil? Well, I should say!
Man o Taz

Mon May 16, 2016 1:02 pm

dustino140 wrote: From my vantage point it was less than ideal.
Was that from a wagering standpoint or a inability to find cover standpoint?

I took it on the chin with both.
And Allah took a handful of southerly wind, blew His breath over it, and created the horse.... Thou shall fly without wings, and conquer without any sword. Oh, horse.
-Bedouin Legend

Give to Old Friends, or your favorite local horse rescue.
dustino140

Mon May 16, 2016 4:20 pm

Man o Taz wrote:
dustino140 wrote: From my vantage point it was less than ideal.
Was that from a wagering standpoint or a inability to find cover standpoint?

I took it on the chin with both.
There is a picture circulating somewhere out there of me standing in the winner's circle right after the race in a suit that looks like it had just visited the bottom of the Chesapeake. I think it took three days to dry.

As for the race, I needed Divining Rod to hold second.
BaroqueAgain1

Mon Jun 20, 2016 3:15 pm

I know that stuff about AP should probably be moving over to Stallion News, but this isn't exactly news...just really funny. :P
http://www.gocomics.com/tankmcnamara/2016/06/19
Man o Taz

Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:05 pm

dustino140 wrote:Evidently it was a very limited run and most stores have only seen 1 or 2 of the bottles.
Yes. Some more obscure liquor stores may still have bottles.

I just got one as a gift recently.
And Allah took a handful of southerly wind, blew His breath over it, and created the horse.... Thou shall fly without wings, and conquer without any sword. Oh, horse.
-Bedouin Legend

Give to Old Friends, or your favorite local horse rescue.
stark

Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:15 pm

Triple Crown winner American Pharoah will shuttle to Coolmore Australia for the 2017 southern hemisphere breeding season, it was announced March 1. He will depart Kentucky in July and return to the United States at the end of the year.

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/ ... ium=social
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
perfectsoul

Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:52 pm

stark wrote:Triple Crown winner American Pharoah will shuttle to Coolmore Australia for the 2017 southern hemisphere breeding season, it was announced March 1. He will depart Kentucky in July and return to the United States at the end of the year.

Well..It is Coolmore, so not surprised. Can't blame them really. They dropped a bundle on him and want to see a good return on the investment.
Ridan_Remembered

Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:45 pm

I wish they wouldn't shuttle him, but realize it's a business and, much as I personally don't think this way, the horses are the product. He seems to be siring very good-looking foals.
Treve

Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:54 pm

perfectsoul wrote:
stark wrote:Triple Crown winner American Pharoah will shuttle to Coolmore Australia for the 2017 southern hemisphere breeding season, it was announced March 1. He will depart Kentucky in July and return to the United States at the end of the year.

Well..It is Coolmore, so not surprised. Can't blame them really. They dropped a bundle on him and want to see a good return on the investment.
Depending on how many from his first North American crop are successfully born, stand and nurse this year they might recoup their initial investment and then some. However given that this is Coolmore, unless he becomes Galileo-like in his success as a sire (he won't) and hence became too valuable to ship, they wouldn't pass up the chance to stand him during the Southern Hemisphere season if he'd be well received in the market down under, especially since his foals have thus far been pretty attractive.

It is a little too bad though because it doesn't allow many opportunities for visitors on his down time I guess.
A filly named Ruffian...

Eine Stute namens Danedream...

Une pouliche se nommant Trêve...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

And a Queen named Beholder
Northport

Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:12 pm

He is also a nice outcross of the Danehill swamped blood in Australia.
weeeeeeeee
Starine

Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:18 pm

I'm excited to see which mares will be sent to him down there.
sweettalk

Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:41 am

i'd like to join the "understand, but don't agree/have reservations" club. good luck to him down there.
Calypso

Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:52 am

sweettalk wrote:i'd like to join the "understand, but don't agree/have reservations" club. good luck to him down there.
I second this.
Soylent green is....tasty!!!