Dubai-bound 2015

Northport

Sat Mar 07, 2015 2:26 pm

Pat Cummings ‏@DubaiRaceNight 26m
Hearing Vercingetorix suffered a career-ending injury in Jebel Hatta - ligament-related. Not a life-threatening issue, will be a stallion.

Definitely changes the picture for the Dubai Turf
weeeeeeeee
tachyon

Sat Mar 07, 2015 8:07 pm

Northport wrote:Pat Cummings ‏@DubaiRaceNight 26m
Hearing Vercingetorix suffered a career-ending injury in Jebel Hatta - ligament-related. Not a life-threatening issue, will be a stallion.

Definitely changes the picture for the Dubai Turf
Vercingetorix has run his last race.
It's a major disappointment.
He won seven of ten starts, including two Gr1’s and two Gr2 races. He was Gr1-placed twice.
Hope he will do well at stud.

http://mikedekockracing.com/wp/index.ph ... d-retired/
Horsebagger

Sat Mar 07, 2015 10:00 pm

Gotta imagine the off odds on California Chrome just took a hit. He at least made Shared Belief work his last out, and should be tough if he gets his trip in Dubai.
Big Ten

Sat Mar 07, 2015 11:02 pm

I have good vibes that California Chrome will dominate the race and collect that $6M check. Without Shared Belief in the race, I have a strong faith in him to win it. The only other horse who can beat CC other than SB is really Bayern.

It is true that he ran hard last out to Shared Belief. The separation was huge from the 3rd place finisher similar to his dominant wins in last year's Derby preps if you take out SB in the race.

My only concerns isn't if he can win the DWC, but will he ever return to racing at all? I don't really believe in a Dubai after-effect jinx. More of the we just collected $6M complacency/let's rest him effect from his connections. Money talks before another one of those injury annoucement most people will believe before he gets sent to stud. There ia gut feeling to me that this could be Chromie's last race. It is similar to what happened to Roses In May in 2005. He loses to Saint Liam in the Donn only to win the DWC easily and then never heard from again. Silver Charm never won a G1 after DWC.

If this ends up being California Chrome's last race or last win, then I hope he goes out in style! Go Chromie! He really was the first spark since Zenyatta to really get me back into the sport. I hope he ends his career on a high note with Shared Belief, Dortmund, Firing Line, Texas Red, and the sons from Zenyatta and Rachel filling the void once he is gone.
Rock Hard Ten. Free House. Soul Of The Matter. Lit de Justice. Zenyatta. Justify. Cigar. Ghostzapper. Lava Man. Silver Charm.
Northport

Sat Mar 07, 2015 11:14 pm

Well, I think that takes the award for most ominous post I've ever seen on the board
weeeeeeeee
BlindLucky

Sun Mar 08, 2015 5:09 pm

How about NOT Dubai-bound? Saw a tweet that Hoppertunity will skip Dubai and get a freshening instead.
Photos from my racing travels: ThoroughbredJourney.com
Somnambulist

Sun Mar 08, 2015 6:05 pm

Big Ten wrote:I have good vibes that California Chrome will dominate the race and collect that $6M check. Without Shared Belief in the race, I have a strong faith in him to win it. The only other horse who can beat CC other than SB is really Bayern.

It is true that he ran hard last out to Shared Belief. The separation was huge from the 3rd place finisher similar to his dominant wins in last year's Derby preps if you take out SB in the race.

My only concerns isn't if he can win the DWC, but will he ever return to racing at all? I don't really believe in a Dubai after-effect jinx. More of the we just collected $6M complacency/let's rest him effect from his connections. Money talks before another one of those injury annoucement most people will believe before he gets sent to stud. There ia gut feeling to me that this could be Chromie's last race. It is similar to what happened to Roses In May in 2005. He loses to Saint Liam in the Donn only to win the DWC easily and then never heard from again. Silver Charm never won a G1 after DWC.

If this ends up being California Chrome's last race or last win, then I hope he goes out in style! Go Chromie! He really was the first spark since Zenyatta to really get me back into the sport. I hope he ends his career on a high note with Shared Belief, Dortmund, Firing Line, Texas Red, and the sons from Zenyatta and Rachel filling the void once he is gone.
Roses in May was hurt around May-June of that year. You expect him to get hurt too?

My head hurts from reading most of this.
tachyon

Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:42 am

Christophe Soumillon, who guided Epiphaneia to the Japan Cup victory on turf, will ride him again in the DWC on dirt.
Northport

Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:29 am

Not really thoroughbred related, but the entire UAE Equestrian Federation has been suspended by FEI for it's ongoing maltreatment of it's endurance horses. Not directly related to the Maktoum family but probably puts a bit of a hitch in one of Sheikh Mohammed's most popular past times.

http://www.horsecollaborative.com/fei-s ... legations/
weeeeeeeee
BaroqueAgain1

Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:31 pm

Paulick linked to an article from The Telegraph. Really scandalous...and it's likely that there is more to come.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/olympi ... races.html
BaroqueAgain1

Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:40 pm

Northport

Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:50 pm

This is quickly going from one of the best DWC lineups to one of the most 'meh'. If Hokko Tarumae really takes to the surface he has a chance, but besides that it is Chrome's race to lose.
weeeeeeeee
Kay16

Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:54 pm

Northport wrote:This is quickly going from one of the best DWC lineups to one of the most 'meh'. If Hokko Tarumae really takes to the surface he has a chance, but besides that it is Chrome's race to lose.

I didn't know it was ever considered one of the best DWC line ups?
Northport

Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:02 pm

At the beginning of the year possibles were, Chrome, Bayern, Tonalist, Lea, Constitution, Toast of New York, Sir Fever, African Story, Epiphaneia, Hokko Tarumae etc. Now we are down to Chrome, Lea, African Story, Epiphaneia, Hokko Tarumae... maybe Ron the Greek and Candy Boy and others? Winners of all 3 TC races, Classic 1-2-3 finishers, Uruguay Triple Crown winner, Dubai World Cup winner, Japan Cup winner, and other G1 winners on dirt. To me, at least, the former list would have been one of the best fields assembled.
weeeeeeeee
Invasor

Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:18 pm

Northport wrote:This is quickly going from one of the best DWC lineups to one of the most 'meh'. If Hokko Tarumae really takes to the surface he has a chance, but besides that it is Chrome's race to lose.
California Chrome has shown some propensity to dislike dirt kickback. I´m affraid he won't like the deep sand track. The DWC will be a cake walk for Lea (IMO).
dustino140

Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:20 pm

Northport wrote:At the beginning of the year possibles were, Chrome, Bayern, Tonalist, Lea, Constitution, Toast of New York, Sir Fever, African Story, Epiphaneia, Hokko Tarumae etc. Now we are down to Chrome, Lea, African Story, Epiphaneia, Hokko Tarumae... maybe Ron the Greek and Candy Boy and others? Winners of all 3 TC races, Classic 1-2-3 finishers, Uruguay Triple Crown winner, Dubai World Cup winner, Japan Cup winner, and other G1 winners on dirt. To me, at least, the former list would have been one of the best fields assembled.
Well that's why you don't handicap races when they're 3 months away ;)
Northport

Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:30 pm

What can I say, it's been slow couple of months over here in the Canadian tundra :lol:
weeeeeeeee
LBM

Fri Mar 13, 2015 6:25 am

California Chrome has shown some propensity to dislike dirt kickback.[/b] I´m affraid he won't like the deep sand track. The DWC will be a cake walk for Lea (IMO).
I don't see why he is going to face any kickback. There are a lot of come from behind horses in the field and one possible front runners (Tamarkuz) has got stamina doubts. The track is riding much faster lately and it will be aimed to be fast on the day so time records are set. I can see CC sitting prominently and winning this.
tachyon

Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:53 am

Golden Barows(USA) will be ridden by Ryan Moore in the UAE Derby.
dustino140

Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:00 am

LBM wrote:
California Chrome has shown some propensity to dislike dirt kickback.[/b] I´m affraid he won't like the deep sand track. The DWC will be a cake walk for Lea (IMO).
I don't see why he is going to face any kickback. There are a lot of come from behind horses in the field and one possible front runners (Tamarkuz) has got stamina doubts. The track is riding much faster lately and it will be aimed to be fast on the day so time records are set. I can see CC sitting prominently and winning this.
I agree. Unless something goes wrong, the plan will be for CC to not have a horse directly in front of him at any point of the race.