Dubai-bound 2015

User avatar
CoronadosQuest
Posts: 1635
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:44 pm

Sun Mar 22, 2015 4:07 pm

Life At Zen wrote:Do they allow for a handler in the gate for the American horses? I can't remember. Chrome needs someone to keep his attention focused in front of him...
I don't believe they do. I watched a few Dubai races from last year and didnt see anybody in the gate with the horses.
luvsgeldings
Posts: 985
Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:18 pm
Location: SoCal

Sun Mar 22, 2015 4:45 pm

great point about the gate with Chrome - yikes - as if I wasn't worried enough - I never thought about that - Victor has his work cut out for him at the start of this race - although, I can't say I remember the gate thing being an issue with Chrome in his last several races - in any case.... best of luck to our California boy - I really want to see him win this thing - but for sure, will be rooting for both Chrome and Lea in this race.
SuperStarVincent
Posts: 160
Joined: Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:51 pm

Sun Mar 22, 2015 5:35 pm

The Bloodhorse is reporting that Ron the Greek is out. Down to 8.
Admin
Posts: 1828
Joined: Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:35 pm

Sun Mar 22, 2015 5:35 pm

dustino140 wrote: When I read the Sheikh's quotes, I didn't take them as the American media and public has. All he was really saying is that the dirt there is still very different then the dirt tracks the US horses are accustomed to and all of the US horses (not just Chrome) may not necessarily find it to their liking, as is being assumed.
But because "the underfoot is stiffer"? We have some tracks here where the horses' hooves rattle, so I'm just not sure what he's talking about. I hope it's not pavement with a couple inches of sand on top.
"This is how we roll in the Shire." -- Leonard
Admin
Posts: 1828
Joined: Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:35 pm

Sun Mar 22, 2015 5:42 pm

Flanders wrote: Yes he should stay home. Regardless of how California Chrome runs, he will in most likely offend a whole country and embarrass another. You think it is socially acceptable to make a beheading joke, which I assume is what he was trying to do? People have lost their jobs for stuff like that. Why shouldn't he have to accept the consequences of talking without thinking?
Why and who lost their job for pointing out the very real terrorism threat that exists in the Middle East? Maybe repeating a joke that no doubt is making the rounds by people going over there wasn't the best thing to say to the press, but it's a valid concern. The UAE isn't ISIL's favorite neighbor right now, I'd guess, so what better way of hitting America and the UAE than target the DWC?
"This is how we roll in the Shire." -- Leonard
islandgirl45
Posts: 517
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:46 pm

Sun Mar 22, 2015 5:55 pm

Admin wrote:
Flanders wrote: Yes he should stay home. Regardless of how California Chrome runs, he will in most likely offend a whole country and embarrass another. You think it is socially acceptable to make a beheading joke, which I assume is what he was trying to do? People have lost their jobs for stuff like that. Why shouldn't he have to accept the consequences of talking without thinking?
Why and who lost their job for pointing out the very real terrorism threat that exists in the Middle East? Maybe repeating a joke that no doubt is making the rounds by people going over there wasn't the best thing to say to the press, but it's a valid concern. The UAE isn't ISIL's favorite neighbor right now, I'd guess, so what better way of hitting America and the UAE than target the DWC?
That would be awful. Let's pray the races take place without incident.
"A people that values its privileges above its principles soon loses both."
~President Dwight Eisenhower
mimi6920
Posts: 504
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:39 pm

Sun Mar 22, 2015 6:36 pm

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/ ... -world-cup

Ron the Greek missing the DWC due to injury

F**K!!!!!!!!!
BlindLucky
Posts: 3314
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:22 am
Location: North Carolina
Contact:

Sun Mar 22, 2015 7:02 pm

mimi6920 wrote:http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/ ... -world-cup

Ron the Greek missing the DWC due to injury

F**K!!!!!!!!!
According to that, a "late invitation" extended to Long River? :lol:
Photos from my racing travels: ThoroughbredJourney.com
User avatar
dustino140
Posts: 5206
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2013 4:51 pm

Sun Mar 22, 2015 7:45 pm

From the American side of things, and in the international commingled pools, what do you think the odds will be on California Chrome, as compared to Lea? I really don't see a lot that separates those two horses, but I keep hearing about California Chrome and hear little, comparatively, about Lea. If one is 4/5 and one is 5/2, that's a big overlay on the latter. I think a strong case could be made that Lea should be favored, honestly.
User avatar
dustino140
Posts: 5206
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2013 4:51 pm

Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:22 pm

Tessablue wrote:Anyone else here seriously looking forward to seeing round 3 of Maftool vs. Mubtaahij in the UAE Derby? Maybe it's just because the idea of de Kock sending a horse to the Derby completely blows my mind, but I really think Mubtaahij in particular has the chance to be a major player.
I can't say I'm seriously looking forward to it, but I think it'd be good exposure for the sport if they could attract a proven dirt-loving international horse in the race. Plus, I'd like to hear Tara Lipinski and Johnny Weir stumble over the name Mubtaahij.
Tessablue
Posts: 4017
Joined: Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:05 pm

Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:36 pm

dustino140 wrote:
Tessablue wrote:Anyone else here seriously looking forward to seeing round 3 of Maftool vs. Mubtaahij in the UAE Derby? Maybe it's just because the idea of de Kock sending a horse to the Derby completely blows my mind, but I really think Mubtaahij in particular has the chance to be a major player.
I can't say I'm seriously looking forward to it, but I think it'd be good exposure for the sport if they could attract a proven dirt-loving international horse in the race. Plus, I'd like to hear Tara Lipinski and Johnny Weir stumble over the name Mubtaahij.
Ha, good point! I'm looking forward to it both for the Derby implications and the race itself- both horses ran tremendous races in those first two matchups and I'm eager to see who takes the rubber match. Add in the fact that either horse would probably be a real competitor in Kentucky, and it'll hopefully be a highlight of the day.

Posting their first two races for those who haven't seen them:

UAE 2000 Guineas Trial (Maftool misses the break and doesn't threaten the winner, but still comes running after a very wide trip): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcGRHm1zQr8
UAE 2000 Guineas (fantastic stretch duel): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8VXDNueLJc

And Mubtaahij's last start, when he easily ran by the (older and undefeated) Uruguayan phenom Sir Fever going 9.5f: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERn8eUQzdY0
User avatar
ElPrado2
Posts: 2194
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:45 pm

Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:01 am

Plus, I'd like to hear Tara Lipinski and Johnny Weir stumble over the name Mubtaahij.

That alone would be worth listening to. :lol:
BaroqueAgain1
Posts: 10525
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:16 pm

Mon Mar 23, 2015 2:11 pm

Do you really think someone named Lipinski, and a guy who spent time training in Russia (learning that consonant-heavy language) would actually have problems pronouncing unusual names? :lol:
Catalina
Posts: 3664
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:08 pm
Location: South Texas

Mon Mar 23, 2015 3:38 pm

Not to overlook that both of them spent a lot of time around international competitors from all over.
User avatar
dustino140
Posts: 5206
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2013 4:51 pm

Mon Mar 23, 2015 4:17 pm

Catalina wrote:Not to overlook that both of them spent a lot of time around international competitors from all over.
If I ever start to take things as seriously as you, please feel free to put me out of my misery. Kudos, though, your streak of commenting on everything is still current.
BlindLucky
Posts: 3314
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:22 am
Location: North Carolina
Contact:

Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:15 pm

A compilation of notes and quotes on a lot of the horses running Saturday in Dubai, sorted by the race in which they're entered:

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/ ... s-march-23
Photos from my racing travels: ThoroughbredJourney.com
User avatar
dustino140
Posts: 5206
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2013 4:51 pm

Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:28 pm

Thanks for sharing. Tough update for Rich Tapestry -
Rich Tapestry—Trainer Michael Chang said: "He wasn't in top form when he arrived. The vet said he lost weight and was a bit dehydrated. "He has traveled to Dubai and America before and never had this problem but he seems to be recovering OK and I am hoping we can get him onto the main track on Tuesday morning for trackwork."
BlindLucky
Posts: 3314
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:22 am
Location: North Carolina
Contact:

Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:32 pm

Looks like tomorrow morning will be busy on the track. A lot of the recent shippers will be out of quarantine and making their first appearances.
Photos from my racing travels: ThoroughbredJourney.com
Invasor
Posts: 203
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:14 am

Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:29 am

Laura King ‏@LauraKingDXB

An unequivocal 'no' from Graham Motion when asked if (lack of) medication was an issue for Main Sequence. That's good enough for me!

Pat Cummings ‏@DubaiRaceNight

All the talk about the Americans back on dirt at Meydan, their turf chances legitimate this year. Mshawish in Turf, Main Sequence in Sheema
User avatar
pointgivenfan
Posts: 948
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:59 am

Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:01 am

Frankly I'd be shocked if Mshawish pulled it off.
"I am the man who with the utmost daring discovered what had been discovered before." - G.K. Chesterton, Orthodoxy.
Avatar: Goldikova - 2010 Prix de la Foret, copyright yours truly. =)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/timstephansen/
Post Reply