Shared Belief

Old Bones

Thu Dec 03, 2015 7:04 pm

I'm heartbroken. A little horse with huge talent. We wanted you back and you were trying. Condolences to all who were close to Shared Belief.
katmandu

Thu Dec 03, 2015 7:06 pm

What a shock. I get on BH to get a little afternoon relief at work and let out a loud, "OH NO". . . . .

What a loss to his connections and the racing world.

Gosh, he was just a little fella, you'd never know it to watch him run.
peeptoad

Thu Dec 03, 2015 7:10 pm

Wow, this is absolutely shocking and tragic news. :( I was so looking forward to seeing come back off the layoff... RIP Shared Belief.
Happy Endings

Thu Dec 03, 2015 7:24 pm

I did the OH NO outloud thing, too. Along with an audible gasp! On the commuter train, surrounded by strangers. No one who would understand my dismay. So saddened by this news. What causes a horse's intestines to rupture, anyway? Seems to happen more often than one would expect and steals them from us with such sudden and heartless speed. Like a punch to the gut. Yikes. So sorry for the connections who must be heartbroken tonight. Very sad day. :-(
I found my sneakers!
Life At Zen

Thu Dec 03, 2015 7:35 pm

Fucking speechless. This is horrible.
Once upon a time there was a horse named Kelso.
But only once. ~Joe Hirsch
Ballerina

Thu Dec 03, 2015 7:40 pm

serenassong wrote:I feel like my heart has been ripped out- I can't stop crying.
I immediately thought of you - knowing what a huge fan you are of this horse. So very sad. I'm just so sorry for everyone, including myself, who loved this little big guy. What promise goes unfulfilled.
Northport

Thu Dec 03, 2015 7:50 pm

The tears haven't come yet but I think I am still in shock. What a blow to the industry to lose a gelding that was so incredibly talented. The sky really was the limit with Shared Belief, I still can't believe it.
weeeeeeeee
susan

Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:37 pm

Just came in to pay my respects ... In over fifty years of watching the proverbial highs and lows of racing, this rates high up on the lows ...

For me this star- crossed dark firecracker of a horse was the best of the past couple of years, bar none . Fast long and short, and bristling with sass and electricity wrapped in a sooty sleek little package, as good as he seemed to be, I expected we had not even seen his best--a rare sort I even more rarely described as a monster.

The racing gods surely dealt him bad cards recently, and ultimately the worst hand .

Surreal, shocking, infinitely sad. and damn unfair .

A bitter goodbye to the little comet ...
CoronadosQuest

Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:43 pm

https://www.facebook.com/Mike-Smith-Hal ... 3/?fref=nf
Mike Smith Hall of Fame Jockey
4 hrs · Arcadia, CA ·
I can’t stop crying right now. Shared Belief was one of the greatest and most special horses that I have ever ridden. Every day I woke up looking forward to being reunited with him. I am so thankful that I got to be part of his life. My thoughts and prayers go out to the connections as I know they are hurting too. RIP Champ.
Izvestia

Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:33 pm

susan wrote:Just came in to pay my respects ... In over fifty years of watching the proverbial highs and lows of racing, this rates high up on the lows ...

For me this star- crossed dark firecracker of a horse was the best of the past couple of years, bar none . Fast long and short, and bristling with sass and electricity wrapped in a sooty sleek little package, as good as he seemed to be, I expected we had not even seen his best--a rare sort I even more rarely described as a monster.

The racing gods surely dealt him bad cards recently, and ultimately the worst hand .

Surreal, shocking, infinitely sad. and damn unfair .

A bitter goodbye to the little comet ...
Susan, that was a perfect description of him. Such a sad day.
Starine

Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:36 pm

I don't have the words right now, other than to say how shocked and saddened I am by this news. Certainly was not expecting to see that when I checked the Blood-Horse site a few hours ago.
Carotene

Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:47 pm

Others have put their thoughts down much more eloquently than I could, so I will just add that reading this on BH a moment ago, brought tears to my eyes.

My deepest condolences to his connections and fans. RIP little guy. :(

Jenn
Formerly Play the King
shenanigans

Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:37 pm

It's hard for me to find the words right now: stunned, shocked, heartbroken. Such a wonderful horse, such a gallant fighter. My condolences to all his connections: I cannot imagine how much they are hurting right now. This is just devastating.
Della

Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:48 am

So many eloquent posts. All I can come up is the proverbial "punch in the gut" when I read this horrible news. Shared Belief was the real deal - the little Big Horse. I was so looking forward to seeing him get back to form.

On Tuesday evening, I attended a lecture at New Bolton (UPenn's large animal hospital) on colic, and they emphasized how important it was to get to the hospital fast if it looked bad. I know that Shared Belief had the best eyes looking out for him, and there would have been no delay getting him the best treatment so this must have been a devastating case to have taken him so quickly. I can't imagine the hurt and sadness his people must be feeling.

RIP Shared Belief - you were a champion.
Ridan_Remembered

Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:13 am

These horses provide relief and respite from a human world filled with ever more terrible crazies. Even the cheapest claimers are beautiful, selfless and just plain wonderful. So when a tragedy like this strikes, no words adequately describe my heartache. But this isn't about me, it's about Shared Belief. Rest in peace, little guy. You were among the most gallant and talented of the great geldings I've been privileged to see race. Thank you for what you gave to us.
djnorth

Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:03 am

So sad and Mike Smith's FB post was especially heartbreaking. (So many jockeys do love these horses. They trust them with their lives.) It sounds a little like Dullahan. Everything's fine and by the time signs show, it's too late. Damn.
Tessablue

Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:19 am

Oh no... I was just looking up a couple days ago whether a horse had ever won G1s at 2, 3, 4, and 5 while thinking about what a pleasure it would be to watch Shared Belief compete for the next few years. This is horrible. Can't even imagine what the connections are feeling right now :(
Kurenai
Site Admin

Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:59 am

When I woke up today, the realization hit me even harder the 2nd time. Yesterday was such a shock. I loved him as a 2 year old. I loved how much of a goof ball he was. And I always believed that he could have been the one to run AP down in the BC (yes I thought that highly of him). He had such a huge heart in his tiny frame. He was like a pocket rocket.

I'm not one to cry easily and experienced already so much in this sport that I think I developed a "hardened shell" enough to deal with things like that. Despite never seeing him in person, he somehow swindled by the wall (maybe because he was small he managed to do that). This really hit me hard, so much that I'm sitting here kinda numb (which is worse for me personally than shedding tears). I think that's partly because I thought he would be around for years to come.
islandgirl45

Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:12 pm

What horrible news this morning, that brought tears to my eyes. I was so looking forward to SB's return, and feel awful for the connections who were gutted by this tragic happening.
"A people that values its privileges above its principles soon loses both."
~President Dwight Eisenhower
RuffiantoRags

Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:36 pm

All I can do is shake my head in disbelief, and hope he can run like the wind in horse heaven!