Kelso Handicap (Grade II)

islandgirl45

Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:57 pm

Belmont Park - Saturday, September 28, 2013Race 6 - 3:41 PM
STAKES
Kelso H. (Grade II)

Purse $400,000. A Handicap For Three Year Olds And Upward. By invitation only with no subscription fees. The purse to be divided 60% to the winner, 20% to second, 10% to third, 5% to fourth, 3% to fifth and 2% divided equally among remaining finishers. The Kelso Handicap has been selected as one of the Breeders' Cup. One Mile.

PP Horse Jockey Wgt Trainer
1 Easter Gift (KY) M E Smith 116 C C Brown
2 Graydar (KY) E S Prado 120 T A Pletcher
3 Praetereo (KY) J Alvarado 114 D Jacobson
4 Jackson Bend (FL) J Castellano 118 S I Gold
5 Hymn Book (KY) J R Velazquez 116 C R McGaughey III
6 Souper Speedy (FL) J Lezcano 115 T Albertrani
7 Brujo de Olleros (BRZ) A Garcia 115 R C Mettee

A - Coupled Entries - Easter Gift, Jackson Bend
"A people that values its privileges above its principles soon loses both."
~President Dwight Eisenhower
Kennedy

Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:28 am

I think that Graydar is ultimately the best horse in this race but I will try to beat him under these specific conditions.

I'm not sure how vulnerable he really is but for me there is enough doubt there to look for a better angle. Graydar has only been less than brilliant in one race in his life and it came at this track, at this distance off a very similar layoff. Now the one caveat that should be mentioned is that at the time he was making just his second lifetime start so the loss could have been as much immaturity as anything else. But the horse has been overwhelming in every other circumstance.

I think I may be able to get a touch of value with Souper Speedy. His lack of stakes success will likely see him a bit forgotten behind Grayday, the entry and maybe even Hymn Book. But Souper Speedy loves Belmont and the distance is just right for him. I think he can either set the pace or adapt to whatever comes if someone else tries to get in front. I don't expect the pace to be very hot and my thought is that he and Graydar will control the front end and go slow enough to negate the threat of the closers. From there I'm simply hoping that Graydar isn't at his brilliant best.

Souper Speedy
Graydar
Easter Gift
dustino140

Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:17 am

Good to see the most unsound horse in America, Graydar, back. 5 starts, 5 layoff lines, never run back in quicker than 49 days, average layoff of 107 days between starts. He'll be a wonderful addition to the gene pool.

Shame, too, because the horse has freakish talent and frankly, his ceiling could be higher than anyone's running later in the JCGC.
peeptoad

Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:26 am

dustino140 wrote:Good to see the most unsound horse in America, Graydar, back. 5 starts, 5 layoff lines, never run back in quicker than 49 days, average layoff of 107 days between starts. He'll be a wonderful addition to the gene pool.

Shame, too, because the horse has freakish talent and frankly, his ceiling could be higher than anyone's running later in the JCGC.
Lol. I was just looking at this one and thinking the same thing. He has the same number of layoff lines as he does races in his career. He's also by far the most consistently fast in the race, however the one race he didn't win and didn't run a triple digit BSF was his lone race at Belmont. Have to think maybe some other issue was going on that day since he's won every other race he's run in by open lengths, however if there is the slightest chance he doesn't care for Big Sandy, then I might be tempted to play against... or just pass the race (which was my original intention).
Hoist The Flag

Sat Sep 28, 2013 3:49 pm

Graydar wins the Kelso
Hoist the Flag was the best horse I ever rode, by far... It wasn't Seattle Slew.
Jean Cruguet
carole

Sat Sep 28, 2013 3:51 pm

Hoist The Flag wrote:Graydar wins the Kelso
Yay a happy result tonight, after that disappointing Beldame
Curlin

Sat Sep 28, 2013 4:17 pm

He looked like he won that race on class. Really needed the race after the layoff.
second_glance

Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:33 pm

103 BSF