Humorous News of the Day: Romans versus Indian Charlie

Extragear

Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:11 pm

BlindLucky wrote:
Extragear wrote:Not a big fan of Indian Charlie but NYRA and Keeneland banning him from their tracks is absolutely RIDICULOUS.
He isn't banned, his newsletter is.
Great. So these not-for-profits that run gambling are now the morality police. For years NYRA had these backstretch workers living in AWFUL conditions, and I suspect they still do, but now they are all concerned with comments from a satirical rag. Unreal. What frauds. Privatize yourself NYRA and Keeneland and ban whatever you want. But as long as you are continuing with this fraudulent not-for-profit garbage, you should not be restricting people's first amendment rights under some fake outrage nonsense.
Bookman

Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:18 pm

BlindLucky wrote:
Extragear wrote:Not a big fan of Indian Charlie but NYRA and Keeneland banning him from their tracks is absolutely RIDICULOUS.
I was going to disagree with you, but according to this article it was his rag that was banned. Did Keeneland also ban him or his rag? I'm on a phone driving in traffic so it's hard to search. The first time I read his rag was at a Keenland sale.

http://nypost.com/2014/05/04/nyra-bans- ... m-grounds/
“I wish you could run the races with no jocks and just put chickens on ’em.” - Billy Gowan
Extragear

Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:25 pm

Bookman wrote:
BlindLucky wrote:
I was going to disagree with you, but according to this article it was his rag that was banned. Did Keeneland also ban him or his rag? I'm on a phone driving in traffic so it's hard to search. The first time I read his rag was at a Keenland sale.

Technically they can't ban him. He has done nothing that would allow him to banned from their tracks. His newsletter is FREE too, so they can try to stop it from being distributed but good luck with that. Keeneland won't advertise in it and NYRA doesn't anyway. I saw Barry Irwin (probably him) on Paulick Report say NYRA used to pay him. Who knows. All I know is that tracks that routinely look the other way at poor working conditions for workers (and the legality of the workers) getting upset over a comment about Mexicans is laughable. Don't get me wrong, if a comment came from an executive or even an owner, you can suspend them, but a writer of a satirical rag? Isn't that what he does, make fun of everyone? Pressure advertisers to make it go away. Fine. But banning any written publication is very dangerous stuff. This is America and we have a First Amendment and the PC police are OUT OF CONTROL. Half of these idiots are probably offended by the Indian part of Indian Charlie. Same idiots that want the Redskins to change their name. Most of them are rich white liberal idiots.
second_glance

Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:31 pm

Bookman wrote:
BlindLucky wrote:

According to the C-J, he is not personally banned at any of the tracks not allowing distribution of his newsletter. See end of article: http://www.courier-journal.com/story/sp ... /11404283/
horsefan

Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:14 pm

Bookman wrote:
BlindLucky wrote:

You are on a phone driving in traffic while posting on this site?
Bookman

Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:48 am

horsefan wrote:
You are on a phone driving in traffic while posting on this site?
Actually, I was stopped in a horrendous stop and slow traffic jam, which cleared up shortly after I posted.

Thanks for your concern about my safety and the safety of others on the road.
“I wish you could run the races with no jocks and just put chickens on ’em.” - Billy Gowan
serenassong

Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:25 am

katmandu wrote:Apparently it was Tammy who saved the day. This is even funnier.

http://www.courier-journal.com/story/sp ... /11404283/

She's a tough cookie. All those years of galloping horses.

So, IC threw the first punch? Don't know how tall he is, but that seems kinda foolish with Dale being as tall as he is. Fight is stopped by an ex-boxer and IC lips off again and round 2.

The next issue of IC should be more than entertaining.
"I reject your reality, and substitute my own!"- Mythbusters
"Oh, What fresh Hell is this?!"- Sheldon Cooper(quoted from Dorothy Parker)- Big Bang Theory
"Sometimes I think he's the King of Stupid" - Old Man- Pawn Stars
dustino140

Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:48 am

serenassong wrote:
So, IC threw the first punch? Don't know how tall he is, but that seems kinda foolish with Dale being as tall as he is. Fight is stopped by an ex-boxer and IC lips off again and round 2.
He is, by no means, small. I would have paid to see this and am only disappointed there is no leaked iPhone video of it.
mariasmon

Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:40 am

dustino140 wrote:
serenassong wrote:
He is, by no means, small. I would have paid to see this and am only disappointed there is no leaked iPhone video of it.
Word.
second_glance

Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:28 pm

Romans Racing Stables, Inc
3 mins ·
With reference to the events that have transpired, I would like to assure Churchill Downs and my fans, that I look forward to moving on, and putting this unfortunate event behind me. I am focusing instead on an exciting weekend of racing, and shopping for new trousers in a smaller size.
mariasmon

Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:29 pm

second_glance wrote:Romans Racing Stables, Inc
3 mins ·
With reference to the events that have transpired, I would like to assure Churchill Downs and my fans, that I look forward to moving on, and putting this unfortunate event behind me. I am focusing instead on an exciting weekend of racing, and shopping for new trousers in a smaller size.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Kurenai
Site Admin

Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:30 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Love the trousers comment.
second_glance

Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:33 pm

"Eddie Musselman, publisher of the irreverent backside opinion newsletter Indian Charlie, is not allowed on Churchill Downs property pending resolution of the case surrounding his fight Thursday morning with trainer Dale Romans.

Churchill spokesman John Asher confirmed Friday morning that Musselman can't be at the track either on the backside for training or grandstand for the races until the matter goes through administrative channels.

No such action was taken against Romans."

http://www.portclintonnewsherald.com/us ... =sportsmod
dustino140

Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:04 pm

Indian Charlie is not having a good 2014...
Kurenai
Site Admin

Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:34 pm

Sean Kerr of 5R Racehorse Stables bought and shipped Mr. Romans some nice suspenders with horseys on them. :lol: My guess is he'll get a lot of those the next few days. :lol:
gravano

Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:32 pm

dustino140 wrote:Indian Charlie is not having a good 2014...
We'll see. No such thing as bad press right?
dustino140

Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:55 pm

gravano wrote:
dustino140 wrote:Indian Charlie is not having a good 2014...
We'll see. No such thing as bad press right?
It is when you lose the majority of your advertisers and aren't allowed to distribute where you normally would.
gravano

Sat Jun 28, 2014 9:48 am

Very true.
I'm surprised it's not an online-only broadside.
Extragear

Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:53 am

gravano wrote:Very true.
I'm surprised it's not an online-only broadside.
The advertisements that work are for sales. People sitting around with a lot of time on their hands reading through the rag with advertisements for various Hips. Probably does get individuals to take second looks at horses. Who knows? Lot of free time on racetracks and at sales though and this publication gets read just because it is there. Fairly confident you will see it at all the sales.
drylee

Sat Jun 28, 2014 4:06 pm

Bet of the day

10th @ Churchill. "Tempers Flair". Tr. D Romans

If she was by Indian Charlie I'd bet the house