Someone at SI has lost his mind....

dustino140

Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:47 am

Admin wrote:
dustino140 wrote: You make seem like SI having an 'inaccurate' list is the end of the world. The reality is that the list was probably thrown together in minutes by somebody who doesn't know (or care) much about the sport, and it was thrown together right around the time Zenyatta's career wrapped up. So, this isn't even a new list.

It doesn't make for an interesting piece for SI if the names that people may recognize (Rags to Riches, Azeri, Zenyatta, Rachel Alexandra) aren't listed prominently, so of course they're going to stretch the truth. SI isn't trying to put out an educational piece to teach people about the history of horse racing. They're putting out a piece that showcases some nice fillies that its readers may have heard of.

But back to your comment about 'People who read it and don't know much about horse racing will believe it's accurate,' I can't come up with one reason why telling them that a filly they may have seen running in the Belmont a few years ago is 'better' than a filly that ran 75 years ago that nobody has heard of, is a bad thing. At least this way you give people the opportunity to connect with the names on the list. Few people probably read this anyway. Fewer people would've stayed engaged and interested if all of the horses on it had been dead for 50 years.

The fervor with which people are dissecting the list is simply confusing to me because the list was created as an entertainment piece for non-racing fans, not an educational tool for racing purists. Taking it out of the context in which it was created, to me, is a poor choice.
"Fervor" and "end of the world"? You're reading emotions into words that aren't there.

And it does matter that the leading sports magazine actually does some research and puts together a good list of whatever top 10 athletes it decides to showcase. It's called responsible journalism, and yeah, some of us actually think that some out there should hold themselves to high standards.
You should write a letter to the editor if you're this bothered by it. You may need to do some research to see who was the editor 3 or 4 years ago, though.
dustino140

Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:52 am

Admin wrote: Can you quit it, please? We can all write letters to editors and tracks and trainers about everything we talk about here. This is called a forum or discussion board. I find what you want to talk about boring many times, so I don't engage in the convo. That's what you should do instead of this.
If I must. If it's any consolation, I also find what I talk about boring many times, as well ;)

I still don't understand why Lady Tak isn't on the list.
Barnfour

Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:06 am

luvsgeldings wrote:i have some issues with some on the list - but certainly not with their number one choice - she came within a head of being considered one of the greatest horses of either gender - Zenyatta deserves that number one spot - she carried higher weight in some races than most males carry these days - she won more grade 1's than any other female american racehorse - she was unbeaten as a 3, 4, and 5 year old - and except for her very last race, she won every race as a 6 year old too - not many horses of either sex have done that or have raced as long and carried that winning form - it would have been a travesty to have any other american female racehorse ahead of her on this list.
A TRAVESTY???? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

(a) You never saw Ruffian

(b) I'll bet ya you live West of the Mississippi

(c) You watch too many of the talking heads on TVG
“The heaviest penalty for declining to the rule is to be ruled by someone inferior to yourself.”
― Plato, The Republic
Barnfour

Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:16 am

About Ruffian:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruffian_(horse)

She earned the nickname "Queen of the Fillies", after being voted the Eclipse Award for Outstanding Two-Year-Old Filly in 1974 and winning the Filly Triple Crown (now called the Triple Tiara) in 1975. Ruffian was undefeated in her first ten races, covering distances from 5.5 furlongs (1.1 km) to 1.5 miles (2.4 km), with an average winning margin of 81⁄3 lengths. She won her maiden race in record time by 15 lengths. She was on the lead at every point of call in every race she ever ran. She set a new stakes record in each of the eight stakes races which she won. She had also equaled two track records. Ruffian's jockey Jacinto Vasquez was asked in an interview if it was hard to get in the lead at the beginning of races. He replied, "No, Ruffian sets her own pace and gets there on her own". Ruffian won the Sorority Stakes (setting a new stakes record) on a freshly popped splint, which, although not a serious injury, was painful, and enough to take the edge off of most horses.

All but one of Ruffian's records remain unbroken. The only exception is her Mother Goose Stakes record, which she raced in 1:47.80 and won by 131⁄2 lengths.
“The heaviest penalty for declining to the rule is to be ruled by someone inferior to yourself.”
― Plato, The Republic
Somnambulist

Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:28 pm

Personally I find the notion of "the best ever" to be a cloyingly romantic and kind of annoying.

There's only one way to prove it, and barring divine intervention and the revival of horses we ain't ever gonna know.
halo

Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:09 pm

luvsgeldings wrote:i have some issues with some on the list - but certainly not with their number one choice - she came within a head of being considered one of the greatest horses of either gender - Zenyatta deserves that number one spot - she carried higher weight in some races than most males carry these days - she won more grade 1's than any other female american racehorse - she was unbeaten as a 3, 4, and 5 year old - and except for her very last race, she won every race as a 6 year old too - not many horses of either sex have done that or have raced as long and carried that winning form - it would have been a travesty to have any other american female racehorse ahead of her on this list.
You are obviously very young with little scope of what American racing has been. Zenyatta isnt even close to being the greatest horse of either gender, and on a true list of Top Ten females, she might make that list.
Kay16

Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:44 pm

Admin wrote:
Life At Zen wrote:
Somnambulist wrote:What's wrong with it?
I'm sure the objection is to Zenyatta at #1.
Actually, my biggest objection is Rags to Riches making the list. Both Havre de Grace and Blind Luck were better fillies (just keeping in the recent timeframe that this list seems heavily skewed with).

Ruffian should be 1, but at least the choice of Zenyatta is arguable.
While I agree Rags to Riches shouldn't be any where near a top 10 fillies of all time list, neither should Havre de Grace or Blind Luck and I don't think you can definitively say they were "better" fillies than Rags to Riches. And as good as those fillies were and these fillies were I also wouldn't put Rachel Alexandra (one good year beating horses like Mine that Bird Macho Again, and the even slower crop of fillies just doesn't cut it for me) or Azeri (she may have proved herself a top 10 filly or mare if she had faced males or done more when she wasn't past her peak) in the top 10.

Ruffian
Lady's Secret
Shuvee
Zenyatta
Gallant Bloom
Personal Ensign
Gallorette
Beldame
Twilight Tear
Busher
Go for Wand
Bayakoa

Whether it be because of their undeniable brilliance and record smashing ability or their beating of top males and serious durability those fillies/mares are at the top IMO.
Rick1323

Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:57 pm

Why should SI be held to higher standards than "professional racing publications"...........
Everyone come home sound.....
Somnambulist

Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:59 pm

Rick1323 wrote:Why should SI be held to higher standards than "professional racing publications"...........
They're getting paid?

I forgot this is America. We don't care about work ethic anymore.
Rick1323

Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:11 pm

Somnambulist wrote:
Rick1323 wrote:Why should SI be held to higher standards than "professional racing publications"...........
They're getting paid?

I forgot this is America. We don't care about work ethic anymore.
People who write about this game for a living are no better than those at SI. When it comes to journalism, SI does some real reporting on mainstream sports. I find it hard to be critical of an out of date fluff piece ............
Everyone come home sound.....
Somnambulist

Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:25 pm

It's a lull in racing. What else can it filled with? Everyone's favorite wine?

I personally don't mind that much, even if this particular list had been brought up before.
horsefan

Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:57 pm

Buena Vista (JPN) Earnings: $17,018,548
Vodka (JPN) Earnings: $13,147,826
horsefan

Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:01 pm

Gentildonna (JPN) Earnings: $15,978,745
horsefan

Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:03 pm

horsefan wrote:Gentildonna (JPN) Earnings: $15,978,745
Every owner's dream horse, she has earned over $1MIL per start.
Matt Converse

Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:53 pm

What about Goldikova? She ran against males all the time. Seems like she ran a tougher schedule than anyone on this list.
luvsgeldings

Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:45 am

ahhhh of course - you say you agree with zen taking the number one spot, and people get all personal with ya - well yeah i do agree with her taking the top spot - and yeah i do live west of the mississippi - oh and i am 55 by the way - - i know what i saw and i saw greatness in that mare - year after year - she wasn't some one year wonder - that horse NEVER ran a bad race - and she could have had plenty of excuses to get beat with her running style - but she bobbed and weaved... and she ran around and past horses - and she would come home like a freight train - every time - no quit in her - i have the utmost respect for zenyatta - i consider it an honor that i was able to watch her run in person so many times, for so many years. it was a beautiful and glorious thing to witness.
EquineAnne

Thu Jun 26, 2014 5:40 am

luvsgeldings wrote:ahhhh of course - you say you agree with zen taking the number one spot, and people get all personal with ya - well yeah i do agree with her taking the top spot - and yeah i do live west of the mississippi - oh and i am 55 by the way - - i know what i saw and i saw greatness in that mare - year after year - she wasn't some one year wonder - that horse NEVER ran a bad race - and she could have had plenty of excuses to get beat with her running style - but she bobbed and weaved... and she ran around and past horses - and she would come home like a freight train - every time - no quit in her - i have the utmost respect for zenyatta - i consider it an honor that i was able to watch her run in person so many times, for so many years. it was a beautiful and glorious thing to witness.
hear, hear.
BornToWin

Thu Jun 26, 2014 6:34 am

luvsgeldings wrote:ahhhh of course - you say you agree with zen taking the number one spot, and people get all personal with ya - well yeah i do agree with her taking the top spot - and yeah i do live west of the mississippi - oh and i am 55 by the way - - i know what i saw and i saw greatness in that mare - year after year - she wasn't some one year wonder - that horse NEVER ran a bad race - and she could have had plenty of excuses to get beat with her running style - but she bobbed and weaved... and she ran around and past horses - and she would come home like a freight train - every time - no quit in her - i have the utmost respect for zenyatta - i consider it an honor that i was able to watch her run in person so many times, for so many years. it was a beautiful and glorious thing to witness.
Bravo!
Somnambulist

Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:15 am

Senior in high school beatin' up on preschoolers was the MO of her career.

I personally love BBQ sauce, but just because it's my favorite doesn't mean it's the best.
Spahny

Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:51 am

I suspected this thread was started to open up knock Zenyatta season 2014.

I'm not particulary interested in knocking great race horses. I don't especially get my jollies ridiculing them for the company they kept. I'm certainly not interested in knocking a great filly like Ruffian. She was fast as hell and left too soon. Sort of like Landaluce.

Ruffian was great. No doubt. But, you know, just for the hell of it... Who did she beat?