Another Pletcher bites the dust

Izvestia

Wed Jun 11, 2014 2:36 pm

Commissioner out with ankle chip...

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/ ... le-surgery
LostADream

Wed Jun 11, 2014 2:39 pm

Simple and fairly common surgery, if he recovers normally he'll be back by fall and still make the BC.
harvestmoon

Wed Jun 11, 2014 2:40 pm

Would hardly call that "biting the dust".

Not a huge deal. I look forward to his fall campaign.
Izvestia

Wed Jun 11, 2014 2:49 pm

Constitution- hairline fracture (also common)
Danza- "not 100%" (previous injury was a knee)
Intense Holiday- condylar fracture (see above)
Commissioner- ankle chip
Hartford- "minor leg injury"
Anchor Down- shin (common)
Corfu- retired, why?
Onlyforyou- broke down, euthanized
Lucky For You- broke down, euthanized

An injury is an injury.
dustino140

Wed Jun 11, 2014 2:52 pm

Izvestia wrote:Constitution- hairline fracture (also common)
Commissioner- ankle chip
Corfu- retired, why?

An injury is an injury.
Cool, he has more high profile horses than anyone else. Do you have anything that isn't anecdotal that supports that horses are injured at a higher rate than other trainers?
Rick1323

Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:07 pm

Pletcher is an easy target. But there has never been a Trainer close to his level of achievement on a day to day basis..........he and his operation are monsters of the Godzilla variety. I'm astounded when playing Saratoga and a Pletcher firster goes off at less than 2-1 nearly every day.....and often times wins by open lengths. I'm not his biggest fan, but I do have to admire what he manages to accomplish on so many different levels............
Everyone come home sound.....
Izvestia

Wed Jun 11, 2014 4:50 pm

There we go again. Fine and dandy that he's the leading trainer of all time, over Lukas, who has also had his fair share of butcher comments. They go through horses like candy. I do not bow down to his success. Yeah yeah, I realize he trains for some high profile people and gets stud deals and big name horses, but it's a business for him, not about the horses. Hence, horses being treated like leased cars. Use it up, smash it up, get another. Sure, I agree he has an impressive record of 2-year-olds at Saratoga, but a lot of them win big and disappear. Where the heck do they go? It's disturbing that so many of his horses get injured under him after 6 starts and zipped off to stud.

People are talking about the breed's fragility now, what's wrong with today's training methods, and why can't we get a horse that is tough enough to win the Triple Crown over 5 weeks - so why don't we change it? Is there that much of a disconnect?

Mott's a high profile trainer, does he have a list of injured/dead? Brown? Mandella?
Izvestia

Wed Jun 11, 2014 4:51 pm

dustino140 wrote:
Commissioner- ankle chip
Corfu- retired, why?

An injury is an injury.
Cool, he has more high profile horses than anyone else. Do you have anything that isn't anecdotal that supports that horses are injured at a higher rate than other trainers?
And really, isn't it embarrassing to have so many high profile horses break down? Is that actually something to brag about?
dustino140

Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:14 pm

Izvestia wrote:
dustino140 wrote:
Commissioner- ankle chip
Corfu- retired, why?

An injury is an injury.
And really, isn't it embarrassing to have so many high profile horses break down? Is that actually something to brag about?
I doubt he's embarrassed and it doesn't seem to hurt his business. I think it's a strong endorsement that the people who dump millions into this game stick with him. It just seems it's a fact that Pletcher has 8 high-quality horses for every 1 that an 'average' trainer gets. When allowance and claiming horses get hurt, nobody notices.
Psychotic Parakeet

Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:44 pm

Could have sworn that I read somewhere that Hartford is no longer alive.
I wanna do bad things with you.
Izvestia

Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:04 pm

Psychotic Parakeet wrote:Could have sworn that I read somewhere that Hartford is no longer alive.
Ugh. This exactly proves my point. Like the brilliant Dustino said, "it doesn't seem to hurt his business". It's sad that this guy is celebrated in this sport. Because money talks. And the horses are just "business".

I am sure he has horses that aren't on the national scene breaking down too.
dustino140

Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:22 pm

Izvestia wrote:
Psychotic Parakeet wrote:Could have sworn that I read somewhere that Hartford is no longer alive.
Ugh. This exactly proves my point. Like the brilliant Dustino said, "it doesn't seem to hurt his business". It's sad that this guy is celebrated in this sport. Because money talks. And the horses are just "business".

I am sure he has horses that aren't on the national scene breaking down too.
I agree. I am brilliant.
second_glance

Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:59 pm

I've been asking around and all I've heard is that he's been recovering from an injury at Stonestreet. Still checking, though.