Steve Coburn..Worst Person In The World List

Rick1323

Sun Jun 08, 2014 9:26 pm

Turul wrote:
Rick1323 wrote:Maybe this will sink in this time. The last 3 TC winners were Secretariat, Slew and Affirmed. Does Chrome belong in that group even if he did win the Belmont? The TC is HARD.....is it supposed to be hard.........
Yes he does. At the time when these horses won, they were not immortalized yet. That comes with time.
No he doesn't. The TC validated already great careers filled with big wins, track records, even wins against older horses. If Chrome even gets near a track record I will be amazed, he simply isn't all that fast, nor is his generation of 3YOs........
Everyone come home sound.....
Turul

Sun Jun 08, 2014 9:29 pm

Rick1323 wrote:
Turul wrote:
Rick1323 wrote:Maybe this will sink in this time. The last 3 TC winners were Secretariat, Slew and Affirmed. Does Chrome belong in that group even if he did win the Belmont? The TC is HARD.....is it supposed to be hard.........
Yes he does. At the time when these horses won, they were not immortalized yet. That comes with time.
No he doesn't. The TC validated already great careers filled with big wins, track records, even wins against older horses. If Chrome even gets near a track record I will be amazed, he simply isn't all that fast, nor is his generation of 3YOs........
That is your personal opinion that I disagree with. Do I have the right to that?
Looking into the eyes of Cigar was a life changing experience.
Miss Woodford

Sun Jun 08, 2014 9:33 pm

Rick1323 wrote:
Turul wrote:
LOL, tell us about Sir Barton's great career prior to the Triple Crown. Or Omaha's. Or Assault's.
a Flying Brick

Sun Jun 08, 2014 9:55 pm

let's try to keep to more modern day horses.
CoronadosQuest

Sun Jun 08, 2014 9:55 pm

I think if a horse was to run the schedule Affirmed ran prior to the Derby, today, people would be throwing a FIT over the lack of rest between races.

Hollywood Park 4/16/1978 8 Hollywood Derby - Gr. 1 1
Santa Anita 4/2/1978 8 Santa Anita Derby - Gr. 1 1
Santa Anita 3/18/1978 8 San Felipe Handicap - Gr. 2 1
Santa Anita 3/8/1978 6 Allowance 1
Laurel Park 10/29/1977 8 Laurel Futurity - Gr. 1 1
Belmont Park 10/15/1977 6 Champagne Stakes - Gr. 1 2
Belmont Park 9/10/1977 8 Futurity Stakes - Gr. 1 1
Saratoga 8/27/1977 8 Hopeful Stakes - Gr. 1 1
Saratoga 8/17/1977 8 Sanford Stakes - Gr. 2 1
Hollywood Park 7/23/1977 5 Hollywood Juvenile Championship Stakes - Gr. 2 1
Belmont Park 7/6/1977 8 Great American Stakes 2
Belmont Park 6/15/1977 8 Youthful Stakes 1
Belmont Park 5/24/1977 4 Maiden Special Weight 1
Tessablue

Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:09 pm

Rick1323 wrote:
Turul wrote:
Second-fastest San Felipe ever, tied for second-fastest SA Derby ever. Let's not act as though the Belmont retroactively made him a slow horse. Chrome was undefeated on the season with five stakes wins; his resume to this point would have fit in pretty comfortably among those of other TC winners.

The idea that most or all of the previous TC winners had already been anointed as great ones is a common fallacy. Count Fleet wasn't considered "great" until the Belmont. He never ran another race and somehow he's always rated the third-best horse of the century. Hindsight is everything, and Chrome still has plenty of time to put together a fantastic career. He's already put together a very good one.
Barnfour

Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:13 pm

Turul wrote:
Please don't put Chrome in the same breath as Secretariat, Slew and Affirmed......that sounds as stupid as the owner of the overrated horse~
“The heaviest penalty for declining to the rule is to be ruled by someone inferior to yourself.”
― Plato, The Republic
Turul

Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:20 pm

Barnfour wrote:
Turul wrote:
Please don't put Chrome in the same breath as Secretariat, Slew and Affirmed......that sounds as stupid as the owner of the overrated horse~
I wouldn't call anyone stupid here. Would you care looking in the mirror?
Looking into the eyes of Cigar was a life changing experience.
Curtis

Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:35 pm

Tessablue wrote:
The idea that most or all of the previous TC winners had already been anointed as great ones is a common fallacy. Count Fleet wasn't considered "great" until the Belmont. He never ran another race and somehow he's always rated the third-best horse of the century. Hindsight is everything, and Chrome still has plenty of time to put together a fantastic career. He's already put together a very good one.
I don't think I remember ever seeing a list that rank Count Fleet ahead of, in no particular order, Man O' War, Citation or Secretariat. I could be wrong but even if there is a list out there I don't think it is common to rank him in the top three. As for Chrome he still has plenty of work to do to catch Spectacular Bid who is widely regarded as the best Derby/Preakness winner to not win the Triple Crown.
Tessablue

Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:41 pm

Curtis wrote:
Tessablue wrote:
I don't think I remember ever seeing a list that rank Count Fleet ahead of, in no particular order, Man O' War, Citation or Secretariat. I could be wrong but even if there is a list out there I don't think it is common to rank him in the top three. As for Chrome he still has plenty of work to do to catch Spectacular Bid who is widely regarded as the best Derby/Preakness winner to not win the Triple Crown.
Meant to say fourth, my bad. Not sure why Chrome has to catch Bid specifically; Bid's resume was unmatched by most horses in modern history, TC winners or not.
BaroqueAgain1

Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:01 pm

Thank you.
I really try to not make judgements about a horse based on how I might feel about the human connections. It's not the horse's fault if his owner is a con artist, a foreign tyrant...or a dumb ass who can't edit his remarks.
'Chrome is a very good horse, and IMHO, would have finished much better...maybe even have won...if he wasn't trying to run with a big, bloody hunk of flesh torn out of his foot. Try ripping off half of the back of your heel and see how far you can run at top speed.
But...it is what it is. Now, all we can do is hope he returns to the races later this summer. and shows the skeptics that the King Glorious, San Felipe, Santa Anita Derby, Kentucky Derby and Preakness weren't flukes. :roll: :lol:
halo

Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:56 am

Turul wrote:He doubled down today:

"It wouldn't be fair if I played basketball with a child in a wheelchair because I got an unfair advantage," Coburn said. "If your horse is good enough to run in the Belmont, where was he in the Kentucky Derby and Preakness? It says Triple Crown, not one out of two, one out of three or two out of three."

I like him. He is not your typical politically correct individual. Once in a while it is refreshing to hear a different voice.
That analogy makes no sense. A better comparison is with golfs grand slam. Four different stand alone events. Not all people play all events. It's a huge accomplishment to win any of them on their own. Winning all 4 is a historical event. As is the triple crown. Winning the derby doesn't guarantee the owner will want to run in the Preakness and Belmont either. Ask the owner of spend a buck. Unfortunately that dumb ass owner doesn't understand the essence of the triple crown.
carole

Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:16 am

*sigh* it was bound to happen, Twitter now has an account called..
Steve Coburn Logic (@dumbassowner)

Here's a tweet for tasters:
Steve Coburn Logic @dumbassowner · 13h
How can Lebron James be allowed to play tonight? He sat out the 4th quarter Thursday night!!! #coward #cheater
carole

Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:23 am

Ahaha this tweet made me laugh! :lol:
David Grening ‏@DRFGrening 17h
California Chrome needed a nasal strip. His owner needs a tongue tie.
harvestmoon

Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:44 am

Turul wrote:
Barnfour wrote:
I wouldn't call anyone stupid here. Would you care looking in the mirror?
You don't find Barnfour's candor refreshing? ;)
perfectsoul

Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:02 am

Good grief, enough already! And not just you, but everyone else who is taking such joy in piling on. It's bad enough to keep piling and piling and piling on the owner, but the horse doesn't deserve this.

Some of you are saying and acting worse than the owner you're complaining about.
This^ exactly. You people need to go outside and get some fresh air.
Last edited by perfectsoul on Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
CoronadosQuest

Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:40 am

He is on Good Morning America right now apologizing.

Jay Privman ‏@DRFPrivman 1m
Coburn: "I need to apologize to the world. I sincerely apologize...I'm gonna do better." #Belmont
serenassong

Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:44 am

CoronadosQuest wrote:He is on Good Morning America right now apologizing.

Jay Privman ‏@DRFPrivman 1m
Coburn: "I need to apologize to the world. I sincerely apologize...I'm gonna do better." #Belmont
Hindsight can be a powerful thing. It does take some intestinal fortitude to admit that. Giving credit where credit is due.
"I reject your reality, and substitute my own!"- Mythbusters
"Oh, What fresh Hell is this?!"- Sheldon Cooper(quoted from Dorothy Parker)- Big Bang Theory
"Sometimes I think he's the King of Stupid" - Old Man- Pawn Stars
CoronadosQuest

Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:46 am

Jay Privman ‏@DRFPrivman 5m
Coburn: "I needed to do this. I needed to do it because I was wrong." Was accompanied by wife Carolyn just now on "GMA." #Belmont

He apologized to Art Sherman too.
HardSpun32

Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:01 am

Apollo wrote:
Rick1323 wrote:Let's see the last 3 TC winners are Secretariat, Slew and Affirmed. Do any of those who faltered since in the Belmont belong in that list? Maybe Smarty if he won, but not Chrome or any of the others........
Spectacular Bid belongs. I still regret rooting against him that day. I was worried the Triple Crown had become too watered down and all the recent names other than Secretariat would blend into obscurity. Little did I know...

But I agree, none of the other recent ones are of that caliber. That's why I've rooted against virtually every one of them. I did root for California Chrome today, and I was pulling for Sunday Silence. That's it.
This goes back to one of your older posts in a different thread. I still want to know why you think they should parade Birdstone for beating Smarty. Why was Smarty not worthy? But you rooted for Chrome? Really?

No disrespect or insults...Let's debate. It was several years ago, but I also know there was another person on this thread who was a Smarty hater and a Slew fan who didn’t want another undefeated TC winner and called Smarty a pig. I could call him out, but I’m waiting for that genius to back up that claim and if he reads this, he’ll know it’s about him.
Last edited by HardSpun32 on Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.