Belmont Gold Cup Invitational S.

With Anticipation

Sun Jun 01, 2014 7:23 pm

Belmont Park - Friday, June 6, 2014
Race 10 - Post Time - 6:10 PM
Belmont Gold Cup Invitational S.

STAKES. Purse $200,000. For Four Year Olds And Upward. By invitation only with no fees. The purse to be divided as follows $110,000 to the owner of the winner, $40,000 to second, $24,000 to third, $12,000 to fourth, $6,000 to fifth, $4,000 to sixth with the remaining $4,000 divided equally amongst the remaining finishers. Weights, 123 Lbs. Non-winners of $200,000 at a mile or over in 2013-14 allowed 2 Lbs.; of a Graded Sweepstake in 2013-14, 4 Lbs.; of two races other than maiden, claiming or starter at a mile or over in 2014, 6 Lbs.; such a race in 2014, 8 Lbs. A presentation will be made to the winning owner. Two Miles. (Widener Turf)

1 Wings of Fortune (KY) 4/C L J L Vargas 117 M K Montoya
2 Sky Blazer (KY) 6/G L R Maragh 117 B Tagg
3 Charming Kitten (KY) 4/C L J R Velazquez 119 T A Pletcher
4 Reflecting (KY) 5/H L J Rosario 115 C R McGaughey III
5 Spy in the Sky (KY) 10/G L J Bravo 115 J M Day
6 Irish Mission (ON) 5/M L I Ortiz, Jr. 110 C Clement
7 Auld Alliance (IRE) 4/F L J Castellano 112 H G Motion
8 Draw Two (KY) 4/C L E S Prado 117 H G Motion
9 Eagle Poise (KY) 8/G L A O Solis 115 H G Motion
10 Comes the Dream (KY) 4/G J Alvarado 115 G Weaver
11 Twilight Eclipse (KY) 5/G L J Lezcano 121 T Albertrani
12 Mambo Man (KY) 5/G L G L Stevens 119 R Diodoro
dustino140

Sun Jun 01, 2014 7:30 pm

2 miles on the turf. Any guesses on how many of these will be mercifully eased?
horsefan

Sun Jun 01, 2014 7:33 pm

It's great to see distance races. I wish there were more in the US and perhaps breeders will breed for endurance.
Miss Woodford

Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:03 pm

The old guy Spy in the Sky is a multiple-G1 winning steeplechaser. This is practically a sprint for him. On May 11th he was 2nd in a 2 mile amateur training flat race at Willowdale in a bog (they swam it in 5:52 and change) which doesn't show up on his PPs.
dustino140

Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:25 pm

Miss Woodford wrote:The old guy Spy in the Sky is a multiple-G1 winning steeplechaser. This is practically a sprint for him. On May 11th he was 2nd in a 2 mile amateur training flat race at Willowdale in a bog (they swam it in 5:52 and change) which doesn't show up on his PPs.
His last flat race was really good.

It's silly to have races like this. Bettors won't like it because you can't handicap a race with horses trying to run significantly too far for them and you could have essentially carded the same race as a 9f allowance for a fraction of the cost. At least 1 of them is a stakes winner this year, but hey, it's a 12 horse field - what would you expect? There's this rumor going around that people 'love' distance races. And yet anytime a track cards one, nobody shows up, nobody bets it and mediocre horses run for too much money.
Curtis

Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:29 pm

dustino140 wrote:
Miss Woodford wrote:The old guy Spy in the Sky is a multiple-G1 winning steeplechaser. This is practically a sprint for him. On May 11th he was 2nd in a 2 mile amateur training flat race at Willowdale in a bog (they swam it in 5:52 and change) which doesn't show up on his PPs.

It's silly to have races like this. Bettors won't like it because you can't handicap a race with horses trying to run significantly too far for them and you could have essentially carded the same race as a 9f allowance for a fraction of the cost. At least 1 of them is a stakes winner this year, but hey, it's a 12 horse field - what would you expect? There's this rumor going around that people 'love' distance races. And yet anytime a track cards one, nobody shows up, nobody bets it and mediocre horses run for too much money.
While you're risking spraining your tongue pressing it firmly against your cheek, the rumor is probably true. However nobody isn't a big bettor which helps make the rest of your argument. As liberal as I am I am also wary as well as weary of PC shenanigans and this type of race is just that, in my opinion. When complaints are made that such races aren't carded, this race can be referenced. It's a manufactured race that on it's own probably won't influence any breeding program. For distance racing to matter it has to attract the upper echelon horses who are going after year end championships not the too slow for prime time players. Gone, for now, are the days that a horse like Forego wins importantly--twice--at 7f and later at 16f during the same year. Not to say we haven't produced horses lately that can run like Forego, we just wouldn't know it because we don't ask them to do it. However there's this, in the future in a bar not so far, far away, someone will win a bet if they can name the last horse NYRA invited to a stakes race based on a win at Turf Paradise. This race is worth carding if only for that. ;)
Miss Woodford

Wed Jun 04, 2014 2:27 am

dustino140 wrote:

Significantly too far? 9 of the 12 horses have won or placed at 12f or further. Notably, Mambo Man won the 1 7/8 mile Hasta La Vista H. in his last start.
As for "mediocre horses" running for too much money, for a non-graded stakes race this is a very good field. You may recall that Twilight Eclipse won the G2 Mac Diarmida in his most recent start on American soil. Eagle Poise is a solid graded stakes horse. The Sovereign Award winner Irish Mission recently finished 3rd in the G2 Sheepshead Bay. And of course Spy in the Sky is a 2 time G1 stakes winner, although he's been very inconsistent in the last few years.
dustino140

Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:54 am

Miss Woodford wrote: Significantly too far? 9 of the 12 horses have won or placed at 12f or further. Notably, Mambo Man won the 1 7/8 mile Hasta La Vista H. in his last start.
As for "mediocre horses" running for too much money, for a non-graded stakes race this is a very good field. You may recall that Twilight Eclipse won the G2 Mac Diarmida in his most recent start on American soil. Eagle Poise is a solid graded stakes horse. The Sovereign Award winner Irish Mission recently finished 3rd in the G2 Sheepshead Bay. And of course Spy in the Sky is a 2 time G1 stakes winner, although he's been very inconsistent in the last few years.
Yes, significantly too far. You do realize difference in distance is the same between a 1 1/2 mile race and a 2 mile race as it is a 6 furlong race and a 1 1/4 mile race, right?

I like how you regurgitate the past performances as if I don't know how to read them.
Senator L

Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:06 am

I like filly. Getting in at 110 lbs can't hurt either
No one has ever bet enough on a winning horse.
Richard Sasuly
arkle

Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:34 am

dustino140 wrote:
Yes, significantly too far. You do realize difference in distance is the same between a 1 1/2 mile race and a 2 mile race as it is a 6 furlong race and a 1 1/4 mile race, right?
That is actually an incredibly dumb comparison. The difference between a 6f turf sprint and a 10f turf race (decidedly middle distance) is massive, they are litterally worlds apart. By comparison a 12f grass horse extending to 2 miles is no where near the same stretch. You would only have to look at the 25-30 horse field that runs in the Melbourne Cup every year, or the Tenno Sho, most of the runners would have prepped in 9f, 10f and 12f races.

I know you are only trolling, but wouldn't want the impressionables reading on the sidelines to be led astray.
dustino140

Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:38 am

arkle wrote:
dustino140 wrote:
That is actually an incredibly dumb comparison. The difference between a 6f turf sprint and a 10f turf race (decidedly middle distance) is massive, they are litterally worlds apart. By comparison a 12f grass horse extending to 2 miles is no where near the same stretch. You would only have to look at the 25-30 horse field that runs in the Melbourne Cup every year, or the Tenno Sho, most of the runners would have prepped in 9f, 10f and 12f races.

I know you are only trolling, but wouldn't want the impressionables reading on the sidelines to be led astray.
So what you're saying is the difference between 12f and 16f is not the same difference between 6f and 10f? My only comment was that the spread (4f) is the same. Don't try to read more into it.

My guess is that 2-3 of the 12 here are eased because they simply can't run that far under any circumstance. I would argue that your comparison to the Melbourne Cup, Tenno Sho, etc. doesn't quite fit because the horses targeting those races are, at least for the most part, elite. Nobody is ever going to confuse these allowance horses with being elite, and watching some of these try to run 2 miles is going to be a debacle.
Horsebagger

Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:09 am

arkle wrote:.......but wouldn't want the impressionables reading on the sidelines to be led astray.
Being a policeman for that would be a heavy lift for any one person to handle.
arkle

Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:54 am

dustino140 wrote:
arkle wrote:
dustino140 wrote:

So what you're saying is the difference between 12f and 16f is not the same difference between 6f and 10f? My only comment was that the spread (4f) is the same. Don't try to read more into it.

My guess is that 2-3 of the 12 here are eased because they simply can't run that far under any circumstance. I would argue that your comparison to the Melbourne Cup, Tenno Sho, etc. doesn't quite fit because the horses targeting those races are, at least for the most part, elite. Nobody is ever going to confuse these allowance horses with being elite, and watching some of these try to run 2 miles is going to be a debacle.
They run 2mile turf races everyday of the week around the world, for class 5/6 horse (read $5k claimers). 2 mile races are not the exclusive domain of elite horses. The horses that run in those will generally also run in 10/12/14f races.
You will rarely see a 5/6f sprinter running in a 10f race.

Barring injury I bet no horses in the Belmont GC will be eased.
Now if it were a 2mile Dirt race, then that would be a different kettle of fish. But a 2mile turf race will be run at a canter for the first 10/12f and I wouldn't be surprised if there is a blanket finish.
dustino140

Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:58 am

arkle wrote:
They run 2mile turf races everyday of the week around the world, for class 5/6 horse (read $5k claimers).
Couldn't care less what they do elsewhere, but they don't do it here.
Miss Woodford

Fri Jun 06, 2014 5:59 pm

Spy in the Sky is the longest shot on the board right now at 39-1... got stuck behind horses.

NBCSN is actually doing the full post parade/selections/race coverage, pretty cool to see.
second_glance

Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:15 pm

Charming Kitten under a great ride from Johnny V.
Northport

Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:16 pm

Well that wasn't nearly as painful as I thought it would be. Nice run by Reflecting
weeeeeeeee
Somnambulist

Northport wrote:Well that wasn't nearly as painful as I thought it would be. Nice run by Reflecting
Too bad he had no room.
Miss Woodford

Todd Pletcher wins a 2 mile race. :shock:
BaroqueAgain1

Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:27 pm

I think Kitten's Joy/El Prado/Sadler's Wells gets much of the credit for that. :lol:
Maybe I'm easily amused...but I thought that was a very entertaining race. ;) And I think only Mambo Man was eased slightly...still crossed the wire, but distanced.
Also, if I remember what the TVG guys said was the record for the distance on the Widner (3:30-something?), Charming Kitten may have just earned a track record for his resume. :o