WISE DAN in colic surgery

BornToWin

Sun May 18, 2014 5:29 pm

He looks good. A tribute to the skill of his people. He wouldn't be able to pass a twisted gut. What causes this in horses?
second_glance

Mon May 19, 2014 5:14 pm

Dan could leave the clinic on Wednesday. LoPresti hasn't decided yet whether he will go to his stall at Keeneland or to LoPresti's farm.

http://www.drf.com/news/wise-dan-could- ... -wednesday
EquineAnne

Mon May 19, 2014 7:39 pm

Happy to read he is doing well.
PJMIII

Tue May 20, 2014 7:13 am

second_glance wrote:Dan could leave the clinic on Wednesday. LoPresti hasn't decided yet whether he will go to his stall at Keeneland or to LoPresti's farm.

http://www.drf.com/news/wise-dan-could- ... -wednesday
That's great to hear.
Blue Jeans

Tue May 20, 2014 11:18 am

Let him go where there's lots of fresh air and sunshine! Keep him moving .... and not just standing around. No, I'm not a vet, so don't ask. :D
Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear or a fool from any direction. ~ Cowboy saying

There is something about riding down the street on a prancing horse that makes you feel like something, even when you ain't a thing. ~ Will Rogers
Blue Jeans

Wed May 21, 2014 4:08 pm

Yahoo! Wise Dan is back on a farm ... and looks wonderful!

Video of his homecoming .... :D

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/ ... ay-21-2014
Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear or a fool from any direction. ~ Cowboy saying

There is something about riding down the street on a prancing horse that makes you feel like something, even when you ain't a thing. ~ Will Rogers
islandgirl45

Wed May 21, 2014 4:31 pm

Wow, he looks great for what he's been through. Did they say he only lost 5 to 10 pounds?
"A people that values its privileges above its principles soon loses both."
~President Dwight Eisenhower
Kelly Kip

Wed May 21, 2014 4:35 pm

Blue Jeans wrote:Let him go where there's lots of fresh air and sunshine! Keep him moving .... and not just standing around. No, I'm not a vet, so don't ask. :D
Obviously, no...you're NOT a vet. He should NOT keep moving..he will get limited had walking/grazing, but NO turn out for at least 30 days, probably more. Major abdominal surgery is not condusive to turn-out.

:roll:
Blue Jeans

Thu May 22, 2014 8:29 am

Kelly Kip wrote:
Blue Jeans wrote:Let him go where there's lots of fresh air and sunshine! Keep him moving .... and not just standing around. No, I'm not a vet, so don't ask. :D
Obviously, no...you're NOT a vet. He should NOT keep moving..he will get limited had walking/grazing, but NO turn out for at least 30 days, probably more. Major abdominal surgery is not condusive to turn-out.

You, again! Please don't start your crapola with me, okay? :roll:

One more thing, any dumba$$ would know "moving" doesn't mean running around a race track! Okay, smarta$$?

ETA: BTW, you're the reason I posted I was not a vet due to your prior nasty comments to other posters. Just who do you think you are? Where's your vet license?
Last edited by Blue Jeans on Thu May 22, 2014 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Blue Jeans

Thu May 22, 2014 8:49 am

From B-H: Most recent article on Wise Dan

Wise Dan, who weighed 1,195 pounds before his surgery for a flipped small intestine, weighs between 1,185 and 1,190 now, having lost only 5-10 pounds.

"What happened was, basically, when they laid him down on the table and they turned him upside down to prep him, they think somewhere between the prep and when they went into surgery, that it righted itself and went back to where it needed to be," said LoPresti, who has trained the 7-year-old Wiseman's Ferry gelding to 10 grade I wins among his 21 victories from 29 starts overall.

"When they ultrasounded him (before surgery) they could see the inflamed area was getting larger, but when they opened him up, everything was right. They could tell where it was, but everything looked really good. As far as colic goes, it was the best case scenario; they just opened him up and sewed him back up. It was kind of like an exploratory thing."

Read more on BloodHorse.com: http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/ ... z32RqOyGGw

larrythek

Thu May 22, 2014 1:13 pm

Welcome Home Champ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
WiseDanReturnsHome05212014AE298.jpg
WiseDanReturnsHome05212014AE298.jpg (30.87 KiB) Viewed 1815 times
Delamont

Thu May 22, 2014 2:28 pm

Amen!
Kelly Kip

Thu May 22, 2014 4:01 pm

Blue Jeans wrote:
Kelly Kip wrote:

You, again! Please don't start your crapola with me, okay?

Just who do you think you are? Where's your vet license?
No, I'm not a VET, but I do have 30 years experience in dealing with various surgical recoveries, including multiple colic surgeries. The last thing WD needs is to "move", just the opposite, in fact. And, no, there are people who come to this site to seek knowledge. Some of the crap I've seen spouted here is downright scary, but is BAD advice.
So, unless you have hands-on knowledge, please don't impart your "opinion". Someone might think you actually know something :lol:
Blue Jeans

Thu May 22, 2014 5:01 pm

Blue Jeans wrote:
Kelly Kip wrote:

You, again! Please don't start your crapola with me, okay? :roll:

One more thing, any dumba$$ would know "moving" doesn't mean running around a race track! Okay, smarta$$?

ETA: BTW, you're the reason I posted I was not a vet due to your prior nasty comments to other posters. Just who do you think you are? Where's your vet license?
Kelly Kip, since you left out my entire message to you (obviously, picked what you wished!). Here is my last message to you concerning this matter ....
You have 30 years of bull, that's what you have! I had nearly 30 years of medical experience ... with a license to do so. Having that horse out of a stall and in a farm setting .... and "moving" around is the best treatment for him. This is a case of good ol' common sense .... and WD is in wonderful hands. You're trying to make a mountain out of a molehill, which is all you're good at. Now go start another fight ... because you're just itching to start trouble. Butt out, buttinsky! :twisted:

luvthesales

Thu May 22, 2014 6:10 pm

With all due respect, Kelly Kip is correct in how colic surgeries are handled and the amount of stall rest/limited movement.
Life At Zen

Thu May 22, 2014 6:11 pm

luvthesales wrote:With all due respect, Kelly Kip is correct in how colic surgeries are handled and the amount of stall rest/limited movement.
I second that. Horses are different compared to humans...
Once upon a time there was a horse named Kelso.
But only once. ~Joe Hirsch
Ballerina

Thu May 22, 2014 6:40 pm

Allspice

Thu May 22, 2014 7:27 pm

Good to see him doing well.
EquineAnne

Thu May 22, 2014 7:55 pm

larrythek wrote:Welcome Home Champ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
WiseDanReturnsHome05212014AE298.jpg
He sure looks good. To this untrained eye.
harvestmoon

Thu May 22, 2014 7:55 pm

Blue Jeans wrote: Kelly Kip, since you left out my entire message to you (obviously, picked what you wished!). Here is my last message to you concerning this matter ....
You have 30 years of bull, that's what you have! I had nearly 30 years of medical experience ... with a license to do so. Having that horse out of a stall and in a farm setting .... and "moving" around is the best treatment for him. This is a case of good ol' common sense .... and WD is in wonderful hands. You're trying to make a mountain out of a molehill, which is all you're good at. Now go start another fight ... because you're just itching to start trouble. Butt out, buttinsky! :twisted:
This is a public forum. How is she "butting" in?

She does not have 30 years of bull. Far from it. What she says is spot on. Of course Wise Dan is in good hands - and those good hands will know to restrict his movement for a while.