California Chrome

Ridan_Remembered

Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:07 am

peeptoad wrote:http://www.drf.com/news/california-chro ... llion-duty

No injury, deemed healthy and ready for stud duty...
"No injury" is not quite accurate. He didn't have a bone chip, but as he was cooling out after the race his right knee did swell and he was definitely sore in it. He was sound at the walk, but off at the jog. They believe he twisted and sprained the knee sometime before the start, because he balked loading and NEVER did that before his entire career.

They gave Chrome some bute, which helped him be comfortable overnight and for the trip to Kentucky.

Don't know if any of you have had a badly sprained knee, but I have. It's extremely painful...in my case I could barely walk and it took months before all discomfort went away. In my opinion, they are very, very lucky the sprain didn't turn into something worse during the race.
BornToWin

Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:51 am

It appears the owners don't value the horse much. Talking about sending him out to race between stud duty and after two subsequent losses... Add to it what seems like a gloss job of his injured knee. An injury noted by his trainer after the race. All of this bleeds the positives his owners cultivated since the purchase.

"Rats" one newly inducted HoF trainer calls race horses. Rats.

Maybe enough pain meds will reduce the inflammation so he doesn't feel the pain when he goes to work today. Or he dies trying. He walks and jogs "healthy" now. we are told.

If the horse was hurt before the race (reports of stress before the race, trouble loading, etc. )then sent out because of the race--who made that call? Who is responsible? Was this about a successful event (was it?) or betting? Or maybe it is typical of race horses so his people didn't think much about it? An off day rather than an injured leg. What's the story about the chiropractor who bungled Chrome's treatment? Real? Fantasy? Intentional? Accident? Contributed or not?

The jockey is the hero. He took care of the horse past the line and reduced the risk of a catastrophic breakdown on camera. Also got the horse a piece of the prize money (and himself) though not the big money.

Good luck Chrome. Against the odds you were extraordinary.
Somnambulist

Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:57 am

While I agree that they aren't going to tell us the truth, it's hardly that extreme.

Jesus Christ I live on NSAIDs.
"Life's no piece of cake, mind you, but the recipe's my own to fool with."
peeptoad

Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:03 am

Ridan_Remembered wrote:
peeptoad wrote:http://www.drf.com/news/california-chro ... llion-duty

No injury, deemed healthy and ready for stud duty...
"No injury" is not quite accurate. He didn't have a bone chip, but as he was cooling out after the race his right knee did swell and he was definitely sore in it. He was sound at the walk, but off at the jog. They believe he twisted and sprained the knee sometime before the start, because he balked loading and NEVER did that before his entire career.

They gave Chrome some bute, which helped him be comfortable overnight and for the trip to Kentucky.

Don't know if any of you have had a badly sprained knee, but I have. It's extremely painful...in my case I could barely walk and it took months before all discomfort went away. In my opinion, they are very, very lucky the sprain didn't turn into something worse during the race.
Just reporting the facts... per the article.
sweettalk

Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:19 am

BornToWin wrote:It appears the owners don't value the horse much. Talking about sending him out to race between stud duty and after two subsequent losses...
to be fair if I remember right the bcc was his best race beyer wise, ir rags, or something. victor blames himself for the loss and he may have stopped riding him too early (id have to rewatch) but arrogate is a monster. finishing second to him is nothing to be ashamed of.

that said, I really dont think hes gonna want anything to do with racing once he starts breeding, and hes one horse where I think "what more do you want him to do" can apply. is the bcc really that important?
Izvestia

Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:38 am

I think of poor Wake At Noon as an example of what not to do. Albeit WAN retired to stud and was proved infertile, so they brought him back to race. He broke down.
Taylor Made can't possibly be on board with this ridiculousness. Don't they usually bulk up from being turned out and bred? Their testosterone takes over. Doesn't seem smart to do that to a horse.
As for the knee - was it just an excuse to save face? I think *if* he truly hurt his knee it was during the race, I don't think they would have run him injured. I also think that 58 and change workout could've done him in.
What is important to remember is that Arrogate is a superior horse. The horse demolished them.
sweettalk

Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:06 pm

the knee was def during the race/immediately before. as they hit the stretch, he was weaving around over a couple of lanes (until he fell out of frame, at least, and i did read somewhere here that he switched leads a few times too). this, from a horse who ran fine when his saddle was around his waist. i don't think it's a phantom injury that they concocted to excuse away his performance, it just happened at exactly the wrong time (as if there's ever a good time).
luvsgeldings

Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:46 pm

I have always thought Chrome was a smart horse - something wasn't right with him during that race - he took care of himself knowing he wasn't right - and I am glad he did - that victor started asking him and got no response, that was the first clue - thank goodness the horse was smart enough to take it easy on himself.
Treve

Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:50 pm

BornToWin wrote:Talking about sending him out to race between stud duty and after two subsequent losses...
I'm glad I am not the only one who had forgotten Chrome ran a race between the BCC and the Pegasus, which he did win. :lol:

Not that it makes this any less of a terrible idea.
A filly named Ruffian...

Eine Stute namens Danedream...

Une pouliche se nommant Trêve...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

And a Queen named Beholder
mariasmon

Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:55 pm

The same folks who returned George Washington to the races due to lack of fertility also brought Starspangledbanner back safely. George Washington was actually racing at a high level when he returned, placing in Gr. 1 races. Starspangledbanner didn't place in any races during his comeback. Fortunately, he was able to resume stud duty with greater success/fertility. Who knows what might've happened with George had he not been fatally injured. There are new techniques now. But these valuable individuals didn't leave stud and race again just for fun.
tranquilo

Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:05 pm

The link that mentions putting him back in training says it came from an interview before the Pegasus. I'm sure him coming back sore brought them back to earth if they were actually serious about it. I'm assuming it ain't gonna happen.
mariasmon

Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:13 pm

tranquilo wrote:The link that mentions putting him back in training says it came from an interview before the Pegasus. I'm sure him coming back sore brought them back to earth if they were actually serious about it. I'm assuming it ain't gonna happen.
Let's hope so. I won't use the whole "nothing left to prove" line, but Chrome has done enough. He never won the BC Classic, but he won the Derby, Preakness and DWC and plenty of others in between. I think Taylor Made will make smart choices for him, but Martin is a loose cannon. Who is running the Chrome show now?
Curtis

Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:41 pm

middleground wrote:Assault returned to racing after he proved sterile. He won some nice races, including the Brooklyn H., which would have been a big deal in that era.
Precisionist did similar. His comeback race was one of the more highly entertaining races I've ever seen and I can't remember for sure who won it. Precisionist went down to his nose at the break--turning Chris McCarron into a Flying Wallenda--Precisionist then righted himself to finish many lengths in front of the official winner while beautifully jumping over the photo finish mirror's reflection. Later that summer with Chris securely in the irons, he set an 8f track record at Del Mar that, I believe, still stands.
Last edited by Curtis on Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sparrow Castle

Wed Feb 01, 2017 4:19 pm

TO CHROME AND HIS TEAM: HOW YOU MADE ME FEEL
The heart and mind process imminent endings before they actually happen. There are reflections, a fondness for the past tense, a sense of distancing the self from the event, because when heart and mind know an ending is upon them, they rehearse.

But eyes and mind are different, as they must be, since the eyes live in an eternal present. On January 29, 2017 California Chrome left his stall on the Gulfstream shed row to begin a new career at Taylor Made in Kentucky. Eyes and hearts watched him go for the final time, saw the empty stall, began to register the absence.
https://thevaulthorseracing.wordpress.c ... e-me-feel/
sweettalk

Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:58 pm

mariasmon wrote:I won't use the whole "nothing left to prove" line, but Chrome has done enough.
that's really what i meant - he's a dual classic winner, he's been to dubai twice with a place and a win, he's won on turf (regardless of who it was against), i think his pac classic was a very good race, he was 3rd in a VERY tight bcc, then 2nd to arrogate (a horse i'd have a hard time being upset towards for beating me)... what do they still want from him? a win over ice in horse-skates? :lol:

i feel a lot better knowing that was prior to the pegasus. saying all that AFTER would just... not be what i'd expect from them. even before is iffy, but now it reads more like saying "we'll think about it" to your kids so they stop asking you. now the race happened, he came out of it uncomfortable, they are (at least i imagine they are) closing that door.
Diver52

Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:01 pm

But Precisionist was virtually sterile, wasn't he? We're hoping Chrome has better swimmers!
I ran marathons. I saw the Taj Mahal by Moonlight. I drove Highway 1 in a convertible. I petted Zenyatta.
Curtis

Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:51 pm

Diver52 wrote:But Precisionist was virtually sterile, wasn't he? We're hoping Chrome has better swimmers!
That's why I mentioned it in reference to Assault, two brilliant performers who proved to be all but or completely sterile and came back to run at a top level. To my knowledge, neither horse covered the amount of mares that Chrome is scheduled to cover. I think Chrome needs to stay retired and if he doesn't do well enough to stay in KY that a farm can afford to bring him to CA. It's the first and only time my thinking--I haven't looked at that site recently but I use the term loosely--will be in line with Bring Chrome Home. ;)
Treve

Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:40 pm

There's a huge difference though between bringing back a sterile horse you don't intend to return to stud and ergo conflict with a racing schedule, and trying to race a horse between stud seasons. I think that's mostly what people find crazy. It would be possible if the JC allowed artificial insemination which is what allows sport stallions in other breeds to continue performing year round at the top level of their sport, but since that is not the case I don't see it being a fair schedule on the horse to demand both breeding and racing, unless they limited one or both.
A filly named Ruffian...

Eine Stute namens Danedream...

Une pouliche se nommant Trêve...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

And a Queen named Beholder
Curtis

Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:47 pm

Hence the statement, I think Chrome needs to stay retired. And to be clear, I mean retired from racing.
Miss Woodford

Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:04 pm

Izvestia wrote:I think of poor Wake At Noon as an example of what not to do. Albeit WAN retired to stud and was proved infertile, so they brought him back to race. He broke down.
Taylor Made can't possibly be on board with this ridiculousness. Don't they usually bulk up from being turned out and bred? Their testosterone takes over. Doesn't seem smart to do that to a horse.
As for the knee - was it just an excuse to save face? I think *if* he truly hurt his knee it was during the race, I don't think they would have run him injured. I also think that 58 and change workout could've done him in.
What is important to remember is that Arrogate is a superior horse. The horse demolished them.
They only "bulk up" if you overfeed them like Claiborne does. In the sporthorse world horses have stallion careers and show careers at the same time. But again, they aren't breeding 200 mares and the mares they do breed are mostly via AI.