Ben's Cat

Prairie Bayou

Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:42 pm

Here are some photos of him in his final start. Happy retirement Ben! I wish you were closer but I'm glad I've seen you so many times.

"AND ALYSHEBA AMERICA'S HORSE HAS DONE IT!!!" ~ Tom Durkin 1988 Breeder's Cup Classic
bare it all

Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:24 pm

Am I the only one who's envious of the lucky lady who received that call?? He's a lovely, lovely horse. I bet quiet as a mouse under saddle, too.
Catalina

Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:13 pm

WarBiscuit wrote: I was wondering what that noise was this morning - and I realized that it was a collective sigh of relief from just about everybody here at TBC, and all over the land.
WarBiscuit
So glad this old warrior is finally retired!
Charlie

Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:43 pm

I don't understand all the disdain for his connections? Calling them money hungry and all that. If Bens Cat was a horse in poor condition who looked miserable that would be different, but he looks better than most.

Just because he is 11 doesn't mean anything. He isn't going to "die" any easier than the younger guys you beg trainers to keep on the track.

He deserves his retirement but his connections do not deserve any hate.
Last edited by Charlie on Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Somnambulist

Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:53 pm

Charlie wrote:I don't understand all the disdain for his connections? Calling them money hungry and all that. If Bens Cat was a horse in poor condition who looked miserable that would be different, but he looks better than most.

Just because he is 11 doesn't mean anything. He isn't going to "die" any easier than the younger guys you beg trainers to keep on the track.

He deserves his retirement but his connections to no deserve any hate.
Old bitties need something to do. Why deprive them.
"Life's no piece of cake, mind you, but the recipe's my own to fool with."
sweettalk

Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:07 pm

Charlie wrote:I don't understand all the disdain for his connections? Calling them money hungry and all that. If Bens Cat was a horse in poor condition who looked miserable that would be different, but he looks better than most.

i think it was the wording KL used. "as long as he's picking up a check, we're gonna keep running him" (paraphrasing but it was close to that). it didn't sound real good, at all, but i'm not sure he meant it like that.
WarBiscuit

Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:47 pm

sweettalk wrote:

i think it was the wording KL used. "as long as he's picking up a check, we're gonna keep running him" (paraphrasing but it was close to that). it didn't sound real good, at all, but i'm not sure he meant it like that.
Anyone who knows King Leatherbury understands that the well being and safety of Ben's Cat was at no time less than paramount. You would be hard pressed to
find a horse than was better taken care of, or more well managed in his career than BC. Stand back and take a look at how many of these horses end up, and you'll wish that there were more people like Leatherbury around today...

WarBiscuit
"One horse-laugh is worth ten thousand syllogisms. It is not only more effective; it is also vastly more intelligent." H.L. Mencken
CoronadosQuest

Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:04 pm

I am actually surprised he wasn't being retired to Old Friends. Not a bad shocked but shocked since everybody and their brother (that isn't a broodmare or stallion) seems to retire there. Hope he has many happy years with the Welkers :)
Miss Woodford

Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:07 pm

CoronadosQuest wrote:I am actually surprised he wasn't being retired to Old Friends. Not a bad shocked but shocked since everybody and their brother (that isn't a broodmare or stallion) seems to retire there. Hope he has many happy years with the Welkers :)
A horse like him might well get bored living at a "retirement farm". Sounds like Ben's Cat will be keeping active.
"Ben might find his way to some local things too," Welker said. "I'll figure out what he wants, and we'll let him do those things. If he wants to go for trail rides or be a hunter/jumper, he'll have the chance. It's time for The Cat to be treated like a king, no pun intended."
sweettalk

Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:54 pm

WarBiscuit wrote:
sweettalk wrote:

Anyone who knows King Leatherbury understands that the well being and safety of Ben's Cat was at no time less than paramount. You would be hard pressed to
find a horse than was better taken care of, or more well managed in his career than BC. Stand back and take a look at how many of these horses end up, and you'll wish that there were more people like Leatherbury around today...

WarBiscuit
oh, i wasn't agreeing that he deserved it, just that, i think that's why some ppl got upset
Charlie

Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:23 pm

sweettalk wrote:

I just took that as long as he runs well, if he is picking up a check he is running well and still enjoying his job.
Last edited by Charlie on Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Charlie

Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:24 pm

Somnambulist wrote:

Old bitties need something to do. Why deprive them.

True, true.
Prairie Bayou

Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:46 am

Miss Woodford wrote:
CoronadosQuest wrote:I am actually surprised he wasn't being retired to Old Friends. Not a bad shocked but shocked since everybody and their brother (that isn't a broodmare or stallion) seems to retire there. Hope he has many happy years with the Welkers :)
A horse like him might well get bored living at a "retirement farm". Sounds like Ben's Cat will be keeping active.
"Ben might find his way to some local things too," Welker said. "I'll figure out what he wants, and we'll let him do those things. If he wants to go for trail rides or be a hunter/jumper, he'll have the chance. It's time for The Cat to be treated like a king, no pun intended."
He loves his job. I don't see him enjoying being turned out 24/7. Two of his brothers are lead ponies. I know he is happiest when he has something to do. Personally I'm glad he's not going to OF. Not every horse is suited for that lifestyle. Stallions and broodmares learn to accept it but they also have a job to do when they are not turned out. Geldings don't. Horses are meant to have company in the wild and geldings seem to do better when they have something to do.
"AND ALYSHEBA AMERICA'S HORSE HAS DONE IT!!!" ~ Tom Durkin 1988 Breeder's Cup Classic
stark

Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:55 pm

I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
WarBiscuit

Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:46 pm

Nice BH article too. Sounds like Ben's Cat is going to be just fine.

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/ ... tucky-home

WarBiscuit
"One horse-laugh is worth ten thousand syllogisms. It is not only more effective; it is also vastly more intelligent." H.L. Mencken
BornToWin

Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:16 am

He looks wonderful in the videos. And 11 isn't really old for a saddle horse. For Ben it probably seems like a break. They all go to a farm for a rest and then settle in. I appreciated the comment by his new owner that he didn't need a "second career". That he'd had one career and just being a horse is enough now.

All good.
serenassong

Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:20 pm

Not sure if I want to believe this or not- but saw posted on a FB racing page that Ben's Cat was operated on for emergency colic surgery yesterday- lasted at least 4 hours from someone who was there

:(
Im really hoping this is some kind of misinformation, but if not- prayers to him.
"I reject your reality, and substitute my own!"- Mythbusters
"Oh, What fresh Hell is this?!"- Sheldon Cooper(quoted from Dorothy Parker)- Big Bang Theory
"Sometimes I think he's the King of Stupid" - Old Man- Pawn Stars
BaroqueAgain1

Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:03 pm

Horses can often colic when their environment changes suddenly. Maybe his feed was different, or the grass in his turnout, or his regular routine being gone, or any number of things that could add up to a colic attack.
Hoping he's going to be OK. It wouldn't be fair that he raced for so long...and then gets sick as soon as he's retired. :(
Somnambulist

Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:33 pm

It's Facebook. I wouldn't read into it.
"Life's no piece of cake, mind you, but the recipe's my own to fool with."
serenassong

Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:50 pm

Somnambulist wrote:It's Facebook. I wouldn't read into it.
That's why im hoping this "firsthand" report is wrong- but I am concerned for him.
"I reject your reality, and substitute my own!"- Mythbusters
"Oh, What fresh Hell is this?!"- Sheldon Cooper(quoted from Dorothy Parker)- Big Bang Theory
"Sometimes I think he's the King of Stupid" - Old Man- Pawn Stars