Jockey/Trainer News - 2018

BaroqueAgain1

Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:44 am

ATV's don't seem to be the safest form of transportation. :roll:
And I find it appalling when I read of minor children being injured (or worse :() while operating an ATV.
BaroqueAgain1

Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:35 pm

I think TBC was down when a bad spill occurred at Del Mar. Apprentice Assael Espinoza cut off Irish Spring, causing him to clip heels and fall, and another horse fell across Irish Spring. Two riders went to the hospital, with Cory Nakatani suffering injuries that require surgery and will keep him out for months.
Irish Spring died.
Assael made the rounds to apologize to the riders and the trainer of Irish Spring. Then he proceeded to appeal the ten-day suspension the stewards gave him for reckless riding. :roll:
I found this article on my Yahoo News page today.
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sd-sp-de ... story.html#
The incident was bad enough in itself (a horse killed and a rider out for months with serious injury), but Assael's tone-deaf decision to appeal his suspension has apparently pushed it into national news coverage.
Irish Spring's owner is outraged. IMHO, the young rider is giving the impression that all his apologies were meaningless.
But....trainers are still giving him mounts; five yesterday, IIRC. :oops: :(
luvsgeldings

Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:19 pm

baroque, thank you for posting that article - I had been wondering about the owners of poor innocent Irish Spring - I have been furious about this incident since it happened - and I share the outrage that the owner of Irish Spring expressed in that article.

I also just read that a judge has granted a stay to the jocks 10 day suspension.

I am heartbroken for that poor horse. heartbroken for the people who loved him.

that horse should have walked back to his barn after that race, to the people who care about him. he didn't get to do that.

it makes me absolutely sick - all of it.
stark

Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:50 pm

I remember being on track at SA back in 2003 the day Pincay was interfered with by an apprentice jock coming down the hill. Not only did it end his career as the Dr's feared for his life, but lawsuits took several years to settle with the track and ambulance company for at least several million dollars. To this day, I have trouble watching the horses as they cross the dirt at the top of the stretch from the downhill course.

As for CNak.....Two separate issues here
1) the unfortunate accident by a rookie jockey that cost a horse his life and endangered the life of another jockey, there's plenty there to be mad/sad about.

2) the agent and the courts ruling for a stay, that they will hear the case at a later date, and both you and I know he'd rather miss LosAl than DelMar.

That said, there isn't a court in America, for any kind of infraction up to and including murder where delays aren't asked for a granted on a regular basis. Its pretty much standard operating procedure, business as usual.

Right now, in my opinion, I think the only thing to do is say a prayer for CNak and hope he returns to riding someday or at the very least is able to walk around healthy next year.
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
BaroqueAgain1

Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:23 am

I understand that this delay is standard procedure and legally available to Assael. What bothers me is that he appealed the suspension at all.
The tour he made to visit both injured riders and the trainer of Irish Spring, so he could apologize and express remorse, now feels kind of fake.
He's taken steps that will allow him to ride at the prestigious Del Mar, in races with hefty purses. In the meantime, CNak gets to sit at home, trying to recover from serious injuries, unable to ride for those hefty purses. :roll:
Remorse? What remorse?
Espinoza wanted to be called Assael instead of Asa. I think I'm going to change his name again, from Assael to Ass(hole). :evil:
luvsgeldings

Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:11 am

baroque.... I hear you on that!!

and stark.... I know what you mean about the turf/dirt crossover at santa anita - my husband and I were there that day also - since then, I look away most times as horses approach that surface change too.
stark

Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:08 am

Update on Victor Espinoza.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-vic ... story.html

p.s. the video TVG showed yesterday about Victor was something special.
Diver52

Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:59 am

After seeing that video, I wouldn't be surprised if Victor calls it a career. He still sounds shaken.
I ran marathons. I saw the Taj Mahal by Moonlight. I drove Highway 1 in a convertible. I petted Zenyatta.
BaroqueAgain1

Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:17 pm

Let's have a big round of applause for Drayden Van Dyke, who won a record-tying seven races at Del Mar today. Most impressively, he did it with only eight mounts, while Victor Espinoza, who also rode seven winners at the surfside track in 2006, did it with ten mounts.
Today's wins included a come-from-behind victory by Catapult in the G2 Del Mar Mile Handicap.
Looks like Mike Smith's protege has stepped out of his mentor's shadow in a big way. ;)
BaroqueAgain1

Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:00 pm

Ruidoso Downs Bans Trainer After Four-Win Day In All American Derby Trials
On Sunday at Ruidoso Downs in New Mexico, trainer Josue Ponce sent out four runners in trial races for the rich All American Quarter Horse Derby. All four starters won, with three of the winners among the 10 fastest times, qualifying them for the Sept. 2 finals of the Grade 1, $1,237,604 fixture run over 440 yards.
On Monday, Ponce received a letter from Jeff True, president and general manager of All American Ruidoso Downs, LLC – the track's owner – telling him he was no longer welcome to stable or race horses there for the balance of the 2018 meeting.
True told the Paulick Report that two of the four horses saddled by Ponce were vanned off the racetrack after their trial race and that the other two were “in distress” and required immediate attention.

Read more: https://www.paulickreport.com/news/the- ... by-trials/

The article is pretty disturbing in itself but, if you can wade through the Comments after it, you may find yourself in furious territory. :shock: :evil:
There is rot in the world of Quarterhorse racing, and I hope it can be excised.
Mylute

Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:29 pm

Quarter racing needs an exorcism. Call a priest.
"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it."
~ Robin Williams 1951 - 2̶0̶1̶4̶ ∞
stark

Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:30 pm

Stewards @GulfstreamPark have handed jockey Tony Maragh a 60-day suspension and a $1,000 fine, both Fla. maximums, for "not persevering" with his mount Sunday in the 4th race. A further internal investigation by the track is ongoing. Full story soon on http://www.drf.com .
lurkey mclurker

Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:46 pm

G @LongBallToNoOne

Very much worth a watch ........
Japan TV Special on Christophe Lemaire and how he ended up in Japan etc
Lemaire just won the 2018 edition of Japan's World All Star Jockey competition 8-)

The vid includes footage from Northern Horse Park's recent jockey competition where they worked with NHP's Happy Pony Show & had a pony jumping contest along with Joao Moreira & Yutaka Take :lol:

(The subtitles - English auto-translate, anyway - are hilarious though, esp when he switches to actually speaking English!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1lCRCYRRfU
Delamont

Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:21 pm

Subtitles are in Japanese....but cool anyway.
lurkey mclurker

Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:59 pm

(If you turn on closed captioning, you can then click the "settings" wheel icon and select "auto-translate" & the language of your choice.)
stark

Sun Aug 26, 2018 6:02 pm

Strange happenings a'brewin with KentD and the 4th race Saturday at Del Mar.

First things first.....
Stewards are fining KentD for overuse of the whip in the stretch run.
and then this.....
Stewards are investigating KentD riding his horse all the way to wire when he got nipped for the place spot.

Wow, trying too hard at the top of the stretch and not trying hard enough at the wire, what would Czarina say?
BaroqueAgain1

Sun Aug 26, 2018 6:49 pm

I haven't seen the video, so I can't speak to this particular incident, but...
...If Kent says that he had already gotten everything he could from the horse, then maybe we should err on the side of taking care of the horse first. This sport is not helped by the sight of a rider whipping the hair off a horse who is done. :oops:
Starine

Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:19 pm

Four Years After ‘Bizarre Incident,’ Jockey Angel Suarez Back In The Saddle
https://www.paulickreport.com/news/peop ... he-saddle/
Dusty

Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:01 am

stark wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 6:02 pm
Strange happenings a'brewin with KentD and the 4th race Saturday at Del Mar.

First things first.....
Stewards are fining KentD for overuse of the whip in the stretch run.
and then this.....
Stewards are investigating KentD riding his horse all the way to wire when he got nipped for the place spot.

Wow, trying too hard at the top of the stretch and not trying hard enough at the wire, what would Czarina say?
I saw NO overuse of the whip - but he did stop riding (noticeably) But how can the stewards say 0 he tried too hard and then not enough....this will be a mess
May they run with the WIND
Dusty

Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:04 am

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:00 pm
Ruidoso Downs Bans Trainer After Four-Win Day In All American Derby Trials
On Sunday at Ruidoso Downs in New Mexico, trainer Josue Ponce sent out four runners in trial races for the rich All American Quarter Horse Derby. All four starters won, with three of the winners among the 10 fastest times, qualifying them for the Sept. 2 finals of the Grade 1, $1,237,604 fixture run over 440 yards.
On Monday, Ponce received a letter from Jeff True, president and general manager of All American Ruidoso Downs, LLC – the track's owner – telling him he was no longer welcome to stable or race horses there for the balance of the 2018 meeting.
True told the Paulick Report that two of the four horses saddled by Ponce were vanned off the racetrack after their trial race and that the other two were “in distress” and required immediate attention.

Read more: https://www.paulickreport.com/news/the- ... by-trials/

The article is pretty disturbing in itself but, if you can wade through the Comments after it, you may find yourself in furious territory. :shock: :evil:
There is rot in the world of Quarterhorse racing, and I hope it can be excised.
Very disturbing - hats off to the folks at Ruidoso for doing the right thing = very odd all winners could not make it to the winners circle......
May they run with the WIND