Fillies and Mares - 2018

Mylute

Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:03 am

ElPrado2 wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:23 am
Any truth to the story that both Abel Tazmin and Vale Dori have been retired? I think I saw it on Paulick.
I'm screaming in pain from a fall last week, and bad back is involved. Any spelling mistakes I have come from no concentration. Put a hand in front of me right now and I would bite it.
Yes they have been. Vale Dori is being bred to Justify but nothing on Abel Tasman.

Get well soon, my guy.
"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it."
~ Robin Williams 1951 - 2̶0̶1̶4̶ ∞
ElPrado2

Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:32 pm

I'm not sure if anyone else has noted these ladies yet, so I will...
Queen of Bermuda (IRE) is now with Graham Motion.
The Mackem Bullet (IRE) will reside with Wesley Ward.
Princess Yaiza (IRE) goes to stay with Christophe Clement.
Starine

Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:42 pm

Also... ex-claimer Vasilika won again. For the eighth consecutive time.

Vasilika Keeps Win Streak Alive in Goldikova
https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... -goldikova
BaroqueAgain1

Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:44 pm

Bellafina was in season during the BC Juvy Fillies.
https://www.paulickreport.com/news/bree ... es-effort/
ElPrado2

Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:03 am

Poor girl. Running with cramps.
BaroqueAgain1

Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:18 am

Do mares experience anything like human females do physically? Is estrus the same as menses? :?
ElPrado2

Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:37 am

Affirmative.
I've known mares that were sweetness and light all over the place... stand there and bat eyes at you all day if you want them to...come in season--the back hooves are whistling past your ears.If they didn't meet in your head.
I owned one. Dr Jekyll and Ms Hyde. She would leave her buddies standing in the pasture and run straight to me, thrusting her head at my arms to be hugged. In season....she would be the center of every mare squabble and stand out in the middle of the field and pout at feed time.
Sparrow Castle

Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:07 pm

Marty McGee@DRFMcGee
3h3 hours ago
Was fun to think about it, but the @PegasusWorldCup is a no-go for the surefire 3yo filly champ of 2018, Monomoy Girl, who left @bradcoxracing Monday for a brief freshening in Ocala. Maybe the G1 Apple Blossom @OaklawnRacing a 1st start back. More soon on http://www.drf.com .
Sparrow Castle

Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:19 pm

Joe Herrick's Lovely Finish was a bridesmaid again. Next time...

Lovely Finish finished 2nd beaten by 4 3/4 lengths, on December 1, 2018, at DEL MAR in Race 2.
Off odds: 20.60
Your comments for this horse were: 2015 F Marino Marini - Corazon de Leo, by Flame Thrower; Joe Herrick; suffered burns at SLR
http://www.equibase.com/static/chart/pd ... 18USA2.pdf

(No word on Tribal Ann who was pulled up, vanned off.)
Sparrow Castle

Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:24 am

Lovely article about Lovely Finish and Joe Herrick in the Washington Post. I can't believe it's been almost a year since that horror at SLR...and the fires keep coming.

Through the flames
One year ago, fire tore through an equine center near San Diego, killing 46 horses. This filly, and her trainer, are helping each other heal.
Story by Joe Tone Photos by Sandy Huffaker
The days were bad enough. He woke around dawn, a hazard of both his job and the pain. On the “good” days, the nurses just changed his bandages, an annoying half-hour ordeal; on the bad ones, the doctors scrubbed his wounds, a process so painful it required a steady IV of painkillers. Otherwise he spent the days waiting for visitors to bring food, anything but hospital food, and to bring updates about Lovely’s condition. Through it all, he did his least favorite thing, the thing he’d spent his life trying to avoid. He sat.

The days were bad enough, but it was nighttime that Joe Herrick thought might kill him. The visitors went home. The hospital went quiet. Joe ran out of things to keep him from falling asleep. So he fell, and there he was again, night after night, trapped in some jumbled, hazy replay of the worst day of his life, a vivid hellscape of broken horse bones, smoking flesh and falling fireballs.

Which is why, after 12 nights in the hospital, Joe decided he’d had enough. When he first arrived, doctors told him he’d be there for months. Later, when they determined that he somehow didn’t need skin grafts, they told him he’d be there for weeks. Now, after just 12 days, he was telling them: I’m done.

His kids came that morning, as they did every morning. But instead of feeding and comforting him, they packed his things and got a tutorial on how to treat his wounds. They figured they would drive him home, where his dog and his horses might help fend off the nightmares. But Joe had another idea.
More: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/spo ... ther-heal/
Izvestia

Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:31 pm

That was quite the rally by Uni yesterday in the Matriarch. I hope she stays in training next year!
WarBiscuit

Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:04 pm

Anyone else around here follow Vertical Oak? She won again today in the Garland of Roses Stakes at Aqueduct. Doing her late daddy, Giant Oak,proud!

WarBiscuit
"One horse-laugh is worth ten thousand syllogisms. It is not only more effective; it is also vastly more intelligent." H.L. Mencken
ThreeMustangs

Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:39 pm

WarBiscuit wrote:
Anyone else around here follow Vertical Oak? She won again today in the Garland of Roses Stakes at Aqueduct. Doing her late daddy, Giant Oak,proud!

WarBiscuit
Happy to see her do so well. Who would have thought the Mighty Oakster’s best runner would be a sprinter?
Sparrow Castle

Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:17 pm

ThreeMustangs wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:39 pm
WarBiscuit wrote:

WarBiscuit
Happy to see her do so well. Who would have thought the Mighty Oakster’s best runner would be a sprinter?
I'm happy to see this too. It was so fun to follow him here and so sad to lose him so young.