In memoriam 2018

Ridan_Remembered

Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:09 pm

Izvestia wrote:Aww, how sad. He was such a special horse. My heart aches for his humans. They did the right thing, but it’s so heartbreaking. RIP Metro
Another article about Metro...this one from Paulick Report: https://www.paulickreport.com/horse-car ... lications/
Prairie Bayou

Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:08 pm

Silviniaco Conti

His final victory.
Sad news via @PFNicholls.
Silviniaco Conti has died following an accident while team chasing on Sunday.
Starts: 36
Wins: 16
Two King Georges
Two Betfair Chases
Two Betfred Bowls
One legend.
#RIP
"AND ALYSHEBA AMERICA'S HORSE HAS DONE IT!!!" ~ Tom Durkin 1988 Breeder's Cup Classic
sweettalk

Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:50 pm

RUSSIAN GREEK was pulled up and euth'd at mahoning on april 2.
Sparrow Castle

Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:03 pm

Steve Byk @Steve_Byk
41m41 minutes ago
With tributes pouring in from his readers and colleagues, am late to the disconsolate news of Bill Nack's passing. He was a delight to read and a privilege to know. Enjoy his piece at the @PovichCenter's wonderful 'Still No Cheering in the Press Box' ~
http://povichcenter.org/still-no-cheeri ... index.html

Another piece about Nack's famous tribute to Secretariat in Sports Illustrated...
"Why’s this so good?" No. 76: William Nack and "Pure Heart"
I still remember where I was—sitting in a dive bar in Fort Lauderdale, Fla., trying to tune out the noise from the beach bums and a jukebox blaring Madonna and the Bangles—when I read these words:

Just before noon the horse was led haltingly into a van next to the stallion barn, and there a concentrated barbiturate was injected into his jugular….

And I still remember how I felt as I read the words—exhilarated and chastened. At the time, I was a 25-year-old reporter doing grunt work for little pay in the Broward bureau of the Miami Herald, writing about fires, Medicare scams and city commission meetings.

….Forty-five seconds later there was a crash as the stallion collapsed. His body was trucked immediately to Lexington, Kentucky, where Dr. Thomas Swerczek, a professor of veterinary science at the University of Kentucky, performed the necropsy. All of the horse’s vital organs were normal in size except for the heart.

Perfect. After reading that opening paragraph—and the entire piece, “Pure Heart,” published in the June 4, 1990, edition of Sports Illustrated—I knew two things: I’d never in my life write anything that spectacular. And I wanted to spend the rest of my life trying.
http://niemanstoryboard.org/stories/why ... ure-heart/

Edited to add the DRF story:
http://www.drf.com/news/secretariat-bio ... ck-dies-77
short_lead

Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:22 pm

Rest in peace, Mr. Nack.

Damn, brought tears to my eyes reading about Ruffian's demise and the video that went with it, that Mr. Nack narrated. Not a good start to the day. :cry:
Ballerina

Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:17 pm

One of the great love stories - PURE HEART by Bill Nack. Waxing eloquent.

R.I.P., sir, and thank you for putting those beautiful words together. I read it every year on Big Red's birthday. I know you're with him now.
Last edited by Ballerina on Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sparrow Castle

Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:10 pm

There will be lots of tribute articles posted about Bill Nack's passing but this is the one by Tim Layden, his worthy racing beat successor at SI, is the one I was waiting for.

Remembering William Nack: A Passionate, Personable Master of His Craft
He was sitting in the darkness, silhouetted by the blue light from a first-generation portable computer, while nearby we all drank deeply from glasses and bottles and cans and talked a little too loudly about the events of the day and the evening. It was the summer of 1981, at a house party in Saratoga Springs. The Travers had been run that day, and the celebration of that horse race had carried into the summer night. We were finished with our work, but in a cramped study off the kitchen, Bill Nack was still doing his. I stood outside the door and watched as Bill typed, wondering what genius might be unfolding in his words. He was 40 years old, three years into a remarkable 23-year career at Sports Illustrated. I was 25, a local newspaper writer, dabbling in horse racing coverage. Bill called me in and asked for a clarification on a quote from that afternoon. I haltingly provided it, and Bill thanked me. I stole a peek at his screen.

Before the night was over, Bill would finish his work and join us on the deck. He made the night better, like he made every night better, filling the humid air with stories about Bill Shoemaker and Woody Stevens and Secretariat. Of course, about Secretariat. In the small hours, Bill put one arm on the railing, raised his chin and recited—no, performed—the last page of The Great Gatsby, not for the first time, or the last. It was stunning and fun, and it was magical.
More: https://www.si.com/sports-illustrated/2 ... d-obituary
Ballerina

Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:59 am

Bill Nack narrating a video on Ruffian and Barbaro - speaking or writing, he was eloquent.

https://ruclip.com/video/-XrdTrdcRHY/ru ... -nack.html
Catalina

Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:44 pm

Ballerina wrote:Bill Nack narrating a video on Ruffian and Barbaro - speaking or writing, he was eloquent.

https://ruclip.com/video/-XrdTrdcRHY/ru ... -nack.html
Yes, he was.
firehorse

Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:13 pm

sweettalk wrote:RUSSIAN GREEK was pulled up and euth'd at mahoning on april 2.
Another honest horse run into the ground.
Prairie Bayou

Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:57 pm

"AND ALYSHEBA AMERICA'S HORSE HAS DONE IT!!!" ~ Tom Durkin 1988 Breeder's Cup Classic
Prairie Bayou

Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:36 pm

BaroqueAgain1

Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:16 pm

What a loss. :(
I will never forget the throwdown he had with Tiznow in the 2000 BC Classic. And I guess we better appreciate Tiznow while we still have him, since he's only a year younger.
I'm sorry that we lost the great writer Bill Nack last Friday, because a great horse like Giant's Causeway deserves to have an homage written by Nack.
Prairie Bayou

Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:13 pm

Sparrow Castle

Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:09 pm

Within a half hour, we lost two very fine racehorses today. Condolences to their connections and fans, of which there are many.

Nicole Russo @DRFRusso
2m2 minutes ago
Sad to report that Bullard's Alley has been euthanized, per #Keeneland officials. Sustained a lateral condyle fracture of left hind in the Elkhorn. 6YO gelding a multiple graded winner, highlighted by last year's G1 Canadian International. Was just shy of $1M in earnings.

Jeremy Balan Verified account @BH_JBalan
12m12 minutes ago
Ten Blessings has been euthanized, according to the stewards. Fractured both sesamoids in left front during the Kona Gold.
Izvestia

Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:36 pm

very sad day in racing ☹️
RIP to Bullards Alley and Ten Blessings.
Catalina

Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:16 am

Gone far too soon. May they both RIP.
TapitsGal

Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:17 pm

Afleet Again. Colic
Catalina

Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:14 am

TapitsGal wrote:Afleet Again. Colic
In Korea?
Sparrow Castle

Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:23 am

Catalina wrote:
TapitsGal wrote:Afleet Again. Colic
In Korea?
Yes.

AFLEET AGAIN, 2011 BREEDERS’ CUP MARATHON WINNER, HAS DIED
Afleet Again, longest shot on the board when winning the Breeders’ Cup Marathon at Churchill Downs in 2011, has died at Stud in Korea. The 11-year-old was struck down with colic and passed away on April 12th.
More: https://korearacing.live/2018/04/21/afl ... -has-died/