In memoriam 2018

BaroqueAgain1

Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:09 pm

I was watching that race and saw the filly suddenly start bucking while backing up through the field. It's too bad that she apparently kept trying to run after dumping her rider...that inevitably causes more damage to an injured leg. :(
Mylute

Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:16 pm

"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it."
~ Robin Williams 1951 - 2̶0̶1̶4̶ ∞
Izvestia

Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:27 pm

Really sad news about Violette, he was a helluva horseman. May he RIP Condolences to his family and friends.
Mylute

Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:53 pm

Paddy O'Prado
Unfortunately, Paddy O'Prado's final crop of North American foals of 2018 will be his last. The son of El Prado died in a paddock accident prior to this year's breeding season and never got the chance to a cover a mare at Evicmen Harasi, according to an officer with the Jockey Club of Turkey.
https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... rados-last
BaroqueAgain1

Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:08 pm

Oh no. :( He was one of my favorite sons of the great sire El Prado.
And getting this news SO long after his death is one of the reasons why I'm never happy to see stallions sold to places like Turkey or Korea. Just too hard to keep an eye on them.
RugbyGirl

Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:46 pm

Looking through the Korean studbook obituaries RACONTEUR (A P Indy) is reported as passed on 05 September 2018
031274-l.jpg
Ask me any questions you have about New Zealand and Australia racing
RugbyGirl

Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:59 pm

Another obituary from Korea is CIELO GOLD (Conquistador Cielo) who is reported to have passed on 25 July 2018 of a heart attack
023493-l.jpg
Sparrow Castle

Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:36 pm

Jay Privman
@DRFPrivman
1h1 hour ago
Jay Privman Retweeted Jay Privman
Also Mopotism in 1:26.20 for Distaff. Right after she worked, 2yo of O'Neill's, the maiden Tariq, collapsed while walking from apparent cardiac event while about to exit track after working 5f. @sambitoperu was up, appeared to escape injury. RIP
Mylute

Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:24 pm

Sparrow Castle

Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:55 pm

Mylute wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:24 pm
Nothin’ Leica Dane Laid to Rest

https://www.breednet.com.au/news/5551/N ... d-to-Rest-
May he rest in peace and green pastures. What a lovely obit. I had to chuckle a bit at this part.
A big powerful colt that matured early, his tough constitution and robust attitude to life has seen him outlive the other members of the 'big four', Filante checking out in 2008, while Saintly and Octagonal departed in 2016… he always was the best stayer!

Nothin' Leica Dane will be fondly remembered by all who knew him and is survived by his best friend Sir Laurence, who is still going at the amazing age of 32!
Sparrow Castle

Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:13 pm

The grandfather of racing partnerships. Rest well, Mr. Campbell, you won't be forgotten.

Cot Campbell Passes Away
Cot Campbell, founder of Dogwood Stable, passed away Saturday afternoon at his home in Aiken, South Carolina. He was 90. Campbell was a pioneer in racing partnerships and Dogwood runners included Classic winners Palace Malice, winner of the 2013 GI Belmont S., and 1990 GI Preakness S. winner Summer Squall. Campbell was inducted into the Hall of Fame at the National Museum of Racing in August.
http://www.thoroughbreddailynews.com/co ... asses-away
Cot Campbell | Christie DeBernardis
WarBiscuit

Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:55 pm

Sparrow Castle wrote:
The grandfather of racing partnerships. Rest well, Mr. Campbell, you won't be forgotten.

Cot Campbell Passes Away
Cot Campbell, founder of Dogwood Stable, passed away Saturday afternoon at his home in Aiken, South Carolina. He was 90. Campbell was a pioneer in racing partnerships and Dogwood runners included Classic winners Palace Malice, winner of the 2013 GI Belmont S., and 1990 GI Preakness S. winner Summer Squall. Campbell was inducted into the Hall of Fame at the National Museum of Racing in August.
Very sorry to hear this news about Mr. Campbell, but what a wonderful and long life. His place in the racing pantheon is secure. I would recommend to all of those who have not read his books to pick them up if you have the chance. I found his writing to be some of the best in the equine book realm. Captivating - just like the grand gentleman himself. Rest easy indeed, Mr. Campbell.

WarBiscuit
"One horse-laugh is worth ten thousand syllogisms. It is not only more effective; it is also vastly more intelligent." H.L. Mencken
Sparrow Castle

Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:04 am

WarBiscuit wrote:
Sparrow Castle wrote:

Cot Campbell Passes Away
Very sorry to hear this news about Mr. Campbell, but what a wonderful and long life. His place in the racing pantheon is secure. I would recommend to all of those who have not read his books to pick them up if you have the chance. I found his writing to be some of the best in the equine book realm. Captivating - just like the grand gentleman himself. Rest easy indeed, Mr. Campbell.

WarBiscuit
I've read all his books and completely agree, funny ones too. There're lots of tribute articles about him out there now, but somehow this one written by Joe Clancy in August 2013 before Palace Malice won the Belmont just seemed to capture what I remember most about him. Warning - take Joe's advice.

Masters Lesson
I wrote it for this month's Mid-Atlantic Thoroughbred, and it started as a simple idea: "See if you can get Cot Campbell to talk about what he was feeling after the Kentucky Derby, but before the Belmont. Ask him what Mike Freeman would have told him, what all those guys back home in Aiken would have told him."

I talked it over with Sean, hatched a plan, then made the call. Campbell listened, thought a beat, then said "I'll get back to you." We missed each other a few times and just when I thought the story idea would sink, he called back with some notes. The rest twisted and turned afterward - with some background from Dogwood Stable's Jack Sadler - and wound up with what you see below. Put on your old-school racing hat, suspend your disbelief and let it sink in a little. Thanks Mr. Campbell.
https://thisishorseracing.com/news/inde ... ers-lesson
Mylute

Sun Oct 28, 2018 2:29 pm

Kingsbarns Dies at Stud From Colic Aged Eight

https://www.racingpost.com/news/racing- ... ght/331871

~ Passed away back in May.
lurkey mclurker

Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:31 pm

WarBiscuit wrote:
Sparrow Castle wrote:

Cot Campbell Passes Away

WarBiscuit
Amen. <3
RugbyGirl

Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:49 am

2005 South African Horse Of the Year National Colour has died while giving birth in Australia. Still owned in South Africa she spent her breeding career visiting the best stallions in Australia. Two of her sons have won G1 races in South Africa earning her a local Broodmare Of the Year title in New South Wales Australia

She won 8 races in South Africa and Dubai and ran 2nd in the G1 Nunthorpe Stakes in England. Clearly much loved by her owners here is the statement on her passing
"It’s very sad news for us. National Colour was a beacon of hope and excellence for Chris and Erich van Niekerk, Sean Tarry and Klawervlei. We mourn her passing and we celebrate her brilliance as a racehorse and broodmare. May she gallop freely in the greenest pastures, into eternity.”
images-4.jpg
BaroqueAgain1

Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:04 am

That's sad. :(
I hope her foal survived.
RugbyGirl

Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:10 am

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:04 am
That's sad. :(
I hope her foal survived.
Oops should have mentioned it did a grey filly by Snitzel.
Mylute

Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:33 pm

Set Them Free, Dam of Giacomo and Tiago, Dies At Age 28

https://www.paulickreport.com/news/bloo ... at-age-28/
Sparrow Castle

Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:42 pm

Mylute wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:33 pm
Set Them Free, Dam of Giacomo and Tiago, Dies At Age 28

https://www.paulickreport.com/news/bloo ... at-age-28/
God bless the broodmares. Rest easy, Set Them Free.