Congratulations re: BreedersCup 2018

stark

Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:25 pm

Congratulations if you've followed a horse during the year and they are making it to the big dance where you will be cheering and even betting on the outcome.

For me......I gots nobody this year that I'm sitting on the edge of my seat waiting for.

Who do you gots?

Good luck.
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
Mylute

Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:22 pm

IMHO this is the best Classic assembled in some years. This entire Breeders Cup is one of the best.

But I'm really not sure...tons of quality but so many factors that make it wide open.

Thunder Snow?
"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it."
~ Robin Williams 1951 - 2̶0̶1̶4̶ ∞
stark

Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:28 pm

Mylute wrote:
IMHO this is the best Classic assembled in some years. This entire Breeders Cup is one of the best.

But I'm really not sure...tons of quality but so many factors that make it wide open.

Thunder Snow?
Simple question.......who will be the betting favorite in the Classic?

https://twitter.com/andyserling/status/ ... 5178696704
Curtis

Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:07 pm

Mylute wrote:

Thunder Snow?
The most competitive or the best? In the whole vast configuration of all things thoroughbred, I don’t see anyone pointing to the Classic all that memorable outside of the context of this year.
Curtis

Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:17 pm

stark wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:28 pm
Mylute wrote:

Thunder Snow?
Simple question.......who will be the betting favorite in the Classic?

https://twitter.com/andyserling/status/ ... 5178696704
Accelerate will be a fairly tepid favorite over West Coast, I believe. After Saturday, I’m partial to West Coast marginally over Thunder Snow. I think the two the latter split in the JCGC are bounce candidates for the Classic with the winner bouncing higher—provided he makes his way off the Vet’s List—than The Composer. I don’t think Diversify will make the race. If Mind Your Biscuits were mine, I’d put him in the Dirt Mile. If he’s still going good after that, the Cigar Mile followed by the Pegasus before he hits the shed.
stark

Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:48 pm

Curtis,
I think you've got the right two on top, but in reverse order.

The name recognition along with their training records will make Baffert's WestCoast the fan's betting favorite over Sadler's Accelerate, especially since the race is not in California.

Pretty sure the Vegas steam, the Sheet's wiseguys etc. will all be pinning their hopes on WestCoast as the one with the most upside potential.
Senator L

Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:20 pm

Yoshida for me. Always liked this horse and trained by Mott. I wonder if Ortiz
will get the mount. Rosario and Franco have been on recently. He'll give a
good account of himself and I'm going to get a square price 8-)
No one has ever bet enough on a winning horse.
Richard Sasuly
Curtis

Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:56 pm

stark wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:48 pm
Curtis,
I think you've got the right two on top, but in reverse order.

The name recognition along with their training records will make Baffert's WestCoast the fan's betting favorite over Sadler's Accelerate, especially since the race is not in California.

Pretty sure the Vegas steam, the Sheet's wiseguys etc. will all be pinning their hopes on WestCoast as the one with the most upside potential.
You could be right and I don’t think there will be much between them maybe 7/5 and 8/5. I wish that West Coast had another race in him. I liked his race, Saturday but he looked short. I’m sure he got quite a bit out of it. Accelerate has had gate issues before, but not like that. He could be over the top. Sadler will win one of these after shipping at some point. I’m not so sure Stellar Wind wasn’t the best in the 2015 Distaff. I can’t take Accelerate as the favorite though, even second favorite for that matter.
BaroqueAgain1

Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:44 pm

I don't think I've seen a Classic with so many nice foreign-bred/based/trained horses possibly running. It looks like Mendelssohn, Thunder Snow and Yoshida are definitely targeting the race, but I haven't read what Gronkowski's status is. And is Gosden still teasing the idea of Roaring Lion heading to The Colonies for the BC? :?
If Justify was still running, maybe this Classic would have been a potential 'best,' but it's still looking like a helluva race.
Fingers crossed that everyone who's still around for the race stays healthy. :P
Treve

Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:57 pm

Of course I've been on my boy Mendelssohn all year so I'm hoping for a monster effort in the Classic (and hoping he can take the whole thing).
It's also nice to see Yoshida coming in so well. I too believe MYBs belongs more in the Dirt Mile or the Sprint.
I think the Distaff will be an exciting race this year as well.
A filly named Ruffian...

Eine Stute namens Danedream...

Une pouliche se nommant Trêve...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

And a Queen named Beholder
Starine

Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:27 pm

Where do you guys see Catholic Boy sitting against this bunch? I'm so intrigued by him.
Northport

Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:01 pm

I don't know if this will be the best classic, but it will certainly be competitive and diverse.

Mendelssohn
Thunder Snow
Accelerate
West Coast
Diversify
Toast of New York
Yoshida
Catholic Boy
potentially, Roaring Lion, Mind Your Biscuits, Bravazo
etc.

I haven't really evaluated any of the other divisions, and the Mile got a lot less interesting with Alpha Centauri retired, but Classic is definitely... open!
weeeeeeeee
stark

Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:32 pm

Treve wrote:
Of course I've been on my boy Mendelssohn all year so I'm hoping for a monster effort in the Classic (and hoping he can take the whole thing).

That's exactly the kind of stuff I was thinking of when starting this thread.
I have a hunch you are in the minority by having a favorite all year leading up to the big dance, congrats and enjoy the show.
Izvestia

Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:53 pm

Whitmore and Midnight Bisou
BaroqueAgain1

Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:25 am

After Imperial Hint's imperious win in the Vosburgh, I'm picking the Little Pocket Rocket for the Sprint. 8-)
ElPrado2

Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:29 am

O'Brien is flying over with a herd for the turf fans. Some other Euro trainers will show up. Last I heard, Roaring Lion is still coming. I still need to sort out the Asian entries, that Win and You're In group will keep auxiliary gates looking like its Derby day. Brazil and Argentina look like they should be flying some up here.
I don't expect Oz or NZ to send anything, time change plus season difference may be too much.
thinair

Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:48 am

Curtis wrote:

Accelerate will be a fairly tepid favorite over West Coast, I believe. After Saturday, I’m partial to West Coast marginally over Thunder Snow. I think the two the latter split in the JCGC are bounce candidates for the Classic with the winner bouncing higher—provided he makes his way off the Vet’s List—than The Composer. I don’t think Diversify will make the race. If Mind Your Biscuits were mine, I’d put him in the Dirt Mile. If he’s still going good after that, the Cigar Mile followed by the Pegasus before he hits the shed.

Mind Your Biscuits was sold for stud purposes to Japanese interests and is gone after the BC.
Treve

Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:12 am

stark wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:32 pm
Treve wrote:

That's exactly the kind of stuff I was thinking of when starting this thread.
I have a hunch you are in the minority by having a favorite all year leading up to the big dance, congrats and enjoy the show.
Thank you... it's such a crapshoot with this sport sometimes. But I suppose it's always a good feeling when your belief in a horse seems rewarded. Classic Empire never did get a chance to show exactly how good I thought he could be.
No doubt Haskin must be excited about Catholic Boy who was number 1 early on on his Derby list before injury.
A filly named Ruffian...

Eine Stute namens Danedream...

Une pouliche se nommant Trêve...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

And a Queen named Beholder
Mylute

Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:02 pm

Since Elate is out, and Abel Tasman is probably sick, I'm hoping Monomoy Girl will take the Distaff. She's a horse that has been a consistent favorite of mine all year and I still believe in her.

I also really like Oscar Performance for the Mile, and if Roaring Lion goes, for the Turf. It would be a great way for Oscar to end his career.

I'm not sure about the juvenile races, but I am a fan of Mind Control. Sippican Harbor and Serengeti Empress are looking like likely winners. Nitrous is being pointed to the Indian Summer on turf so it'll be interesting to see where he goes from there.

As for the Juvenile Turf...Sprint I really want Shang Shang Shang to win it.

EDIT: Autocorrect made "Turf" into "Turf Mile" for some reason.
Last edited by Mylute on Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it."
~ Robin Williams 1951 - 2̶0̶1̶4̶ ∞
Curtis

Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:29 pm

thinair wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:48 am
Curtis wrote:

Mind Your Biscuits was sold for stud purposes to Japanese interests and is gone after the BC.
Thanks, I knew about the sale to Japan. I noticed the last few races he’s run under the Yoshida Family’s silks. I didn’t know about the conditions for retirement. If he were mine I’d still go the Dirt Mile route with him. Losing the Classic isn’t going to hurt anything—if he were to lose—as he’s not considered to be a 10f type. The connections probably want to get an Eclipse so they have to either shorten way up and run him in the Sprint or gamble and try the Classic and I’m not sure a win in there would get him an award. So in the end,, I’d try to send him out a winner in the Dirt Mile.