In memoriam 2018

BaroqueAgain1
Posts: 9532
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:16 pm

Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:10 pm

I just watched the replay on Bloodhorse and it looked like Tiago was really laying in to Waya Ed, trying to get him to move up to the leaders. And so he did...right into what looked like a clipped-heels incident, sending the horse head over heels.
Poor Waya Ed. :(
User avatar
Dusty
Posts: 587
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:51 pm
Location: Dana Point, Ca
Contact:

Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:08 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:I just watched the replay on Bloodhorse and it looked like Tiago was really laying in to Waya Ed, trying to get him to move up to the leaders. And so he did...right into what looked like a clipped-heels incident, sending the horse head over heels.
Poor Waya Ed. :(
I am so very upset - Rest well Waya Ed - did not deserve that ending - my God
May they run with the WIND
Catalina
Posts: 3155
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:08 pm
Location: South Texas

Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:39 pm

Dusty wrote:
BaroqueAgain1 wrote:I just watched the replay on Bloodhorse and it looked like Tiago was really laying in to Waya Ed, trying to get him to move up to the leaders. And so he did...right into what looked like a clipped-heels incident, sending the horse head over heels.
Poor Waya Ed. :(
I am so very upset - Rest well Waya Ed - did not deserve that ending - my God
Likewise. And it's just sheer luck it didn't bring down the other horse, too.

So now what happens? Do the stewards look if there was an actual hole that Tiago was trying to squeeze in or did he just hope something would open up? In the latter case, does Tiago get days (starting from when he is back to riding)?
User avatar
Flanders
Posts: 2706
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:01 pm

Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:17 pm

I tried to watch the head on view to see what happened but Twinspires cut it. The 5 horse wasn't keeping a straight path but I couldn't see if he actually went further out. The chart says the stewards did an inquiry and found no other runner responsible for the incident.
This was from the Bloodhorse, "After a review of the race replay from multiple angles, the stewards at Santa Anita suspect Waya Ed clipped heels while trying to split horses in the stretch, but they could not be sure."
Catalina
Posts: 3155
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:08 pm
Location: South Texas

Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:01 pm

Flanders wrote:I tried to watch the head on view to see what happened but Twinspires cut it. The 5 horse wasn't keeping a straight path but I couldn't see if he actually went further out. The chart says the stewards did an inquiry and found no other runner responsible for the incident.
This was from the Bloodhorse, "After a review of the race replay from multiple angles, the stewards at Santa Anita suspect Waya Ed clipped heels while trying to split horses in the stretch, but they could not be sure."
If nothing else, the stewards should know after the autopsy. It still should be reckless riding, and as such carry enough of a penalty to get the jockey's attention.
WarBiscuit
Posts: 1263
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:40 pm
Location: Mount Clemens, MI / Hawks Nest, WV

Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:49 pm

RIP Northern Afleet...
"One horse-laugh is worth ten thousand syllogisms. It is not only more effective; it is also vastly more intelligent." H.L. Mencken
User avatar
Prairie Bayou
Posts: 584
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:29 am
Location: Reisterstown, Maryland
Contact:

Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:30 pm

Who's Your Daddy (3/23/97-6/4/18), by Smarten out of Miss Flutie Brown (by Salutely)
Merryland's awesome teaser has moved on to gallop and chase mares in Heaven. Before "retiring" to be our teaser he stood at stud in Maryland and sired 36 foals! RIP sweet boy
"AND ALYSHEBA AMERICA'S HORSE HAS DONE IT!!!" ~ Tom Durkin 1988 Breeder's Cup Classic
User avatar
ThreeMustangs
Posts: 1391
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:37 pm
Location: Florida

Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:11 pm

Prairie Bayou wrote:Who's Your Daddy (3/23/97-6/4/18), by Smarten out of Miss Flutie Brown (by Salutely)
Merryland's awesome teaser has moved on to gallop and chase mares in Heaven. Before "retiring" to be our teaser he stood at stud in Maryland and sired 36 foals! RIP sweet boy
I hope he catches a few.

Smarten and Salutely—used to see those names all the time in pedigrees in the “Baltimore Sun’s” charts back in the 80s and 90s.
WaquoitNBroadBrush
Posts: 1092
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:22 am

Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:31 am

Prairie Bayou wrote:Who's Your Daddy (3/23/97-6/4/18), by Smarten out of Miss Flutie Brown (by Salutely)
Merryland's awesome teaser has moved on to gallop and chase mares in Heaven. Before "retiring" to be our teaser he stood at stud in Maryland and sired 36 foals! RIP sweet boy
Not being a true horse person, maybe I'm over-anthromorphizing here, but do teasers enjoy their work or do they show signs of frustration over constantly not being allowed to cover the mares? How are they to handle away from the "job"? I think I can say with little fear of contradiction that, if human breeding were conducted in the manner of equine breeding, you'd find few if any males of our species willing to become professional teasers, especially if they weren't allowed private sex lives.
User avatar
Flanders
Posts: 2706
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:01 pm

Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:25 am

WaquoitNBroadBrush wrote:
Prairie Bayou wrote:Who's Your Daddy (3/23/97-6/4/18), by Smarten out of Miss Flutie Brown (by Salutely)
Merryland's awesome teaser has moved on to gallop and chase mares in Heaven. Before "retiring" to be our teaser he stood at stud in Maryland and sired 36 foals! RIP sweet boy
Not being a true horse person, maybe I'm over-anthromorphizing here, but do teasers enjoy their work or do they show signs of frustration over constantly not being allowed to cover the mares? How are they to handle away from the "job"? I think I can say with little fear of contradiction that, if human breeding were conducted in the manner of equine breeding, you'd find few if any males of our species willing to become professional teasers, especially if they weren't allowed private sex lives.
Some farms allow their teasers to cover other mares, so they don't get frustrated. I've seen photos of the foals of, I believe, Winstar's teaser.
TapitsGal
Posts: 790
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:03 pm

Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:42 pm

Denman euthanized due to deteriorating stifles
User avatar
ThreeMustangs
Posts: 1391
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:37 pm
Location: Florida

Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:00 pm

TapitsGal wrote:Denman euthanized due to deteriorating stifles
I like to think that Kauto Star was waiting for him on the other side to show him the ropes. Such grand old chasers they were.
User avatar
Prairie Bayou
Posts: 584
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:29 am
Location: Reisterstown, Maryland
Contact:

Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:50 pm

"AND ALYSHEBA AMERICA'S HORSE HAS DONE IT!!!" ~ Tom Durkin 1988 Breeder's Cup Classic
Catalina
Posts: 3155
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:08 pm
Location: South Texas

Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:47 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:I hate those under tack speed fests that two-year-olds are made to do. :evil:
And so, do all the horses going through e.g. the "Ocala 2YO in training auction" get breezed at the auction? Or if not, how is it determined who does and who does not?
User avatar
Flanders
Posts: 2706
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:01 pm

Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:06 pm

Catalina wrote:
BaroqueAgain1 wrote:I hate those under tack speed fests that two-year-olds are made to do. :evil:
And so, do all the horses going through e.g. the "Ocala 2YO in training auction" get breezed at the auction? Or if not, how is it determined who does and who does not?
I believe its up to the seller but they have to either breeze or gallop. There was an article earlier this year about a consignor who didn't want his horses breezed. They were only going to gallop.
Catalina
Posts: 3155
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:08 pm
Location: South Texas

Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:19 pm

Flanders wrote:
Catalina wrote:
BaroqueAgain1 wrote:I hate those under tack speed fests that two-year-olds are made to do. :evil:
And so, do all the horses going through e.g. the "Ocala 2YO in training auction" get breezed at the auction? Or if not, how is it determined who does and who does not?
I believe its up to the seller but they have to either breeze or gallop. There was an article earlier this year about a consignor who didn't want his horses breezed. They were only going to gallop.
I'm glad to hear there's at least a little sanity in all this.
User avatar
Ballerina
Posts: 3045
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:22 pm
Location: Chesapeake, VA & Saratoga, NY

Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:49 pm

Montauk injured during workout - euthanized. :cry:
Catalina
Posts: 3155
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:08 pm
Location: South Texas

Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:33 pm

Ballerina wrote:Montauk injured during workout - euthanized. :cry:
And, breaking a shoulder seems uncommon, without a fall. RIP Montauk.
User avatar
Sparrow Castle
Posts: 4713
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:44 pm

Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:50 pm

Since he's well-known in our industry, I'm posting this here. Such a horrible tragedy, I can't even imagine the pain and grief. Prayers for the family.

@TracksideTalk
I just can’t imagine.... my deepest sympathies to @MillerBode & his family RIPEmmy
Image

Olympic skier Bode Miller’s toddler daughter drowns in pool
The 19-month-old daughter of U.S. Olympic skier Bode Miller drowned in a Southern California swimming pool, authorities said Monday.

Emeline Miller died at an Orange County hospital Sunday, the day after paramedics tried unsuccessfully to revive her after the drowning incident.

“We are beyond devastated,” Miller said in an Instagram post that showed several photos of the blonde, blue-eyed, chubby-cheeked toddler.

In a video, Emmy, as she was known, was being kissed on the check by her mother Morgan as she repeatedly said, “Hi Dada.”

One photo showed her covered in suds in a tub and another showed her smiling as she pushed two baby dolls in a pink stroller on a street with large homes in the background.

“Never in a million years did we think we would experience a pain like this,” Miller said in the post. “Her love, her light, her spirit will never be forgotten. Our little girl loved life and lived it to its fullest every day.”
More: https://www.washingtonpost.com/national ... ea4d4ac6c2
Post Reply