2018 Preakness Stakes

stark

Tue May 15, 2018 3:36 pm

MySaladDays wrote:
stark wrote: Good Magic had noticeable neck sweat as he jogged back following about a 1 3-8-mile gallop over a sealed, muddy Pimlico main track.

oh hold the presses.....Mendelssohn was sweating after being overhydrated on a VERY LONG transatlantic flight, then quarantined, then dropped down onto a foreign track.

When he sweat, they were going bonkers and there were all sorts of conspiracy theories about what a toss he was.

So, just wondering if Good Magic gets tossed for sweating under way less stress and abolutely no tough circumstances :lol:

oh, wait, d some kind of PSTD brought on by memories of Derby rain? :D poor good magic--
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
BaroqueAgain1

Tue May 15, 2018 4:14 pm

This article details NBC's/NBCSN's schedule of coverage for Friday and Saturday.
https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... s-coverage
stark

Wed May 16, 2018 9:23 am

David Grening , Pimlico Race Course , 2018-05-16 - DRF Live Posted

Kentucky Derby runner-up Good Magic looked much better Wednesday morning than he did Tuesday, his first day on the track, as he galloped 1 1-2 miles over a sealed muddy Pimlico main track at around 7:30 a.m.

On Tuesday, Good Magic had a slow, steady gallop and got noticeably hot as he jogged past the grandstand on his way to leaving the track.

On Wednesday, Good Magic picked up the pace of his gallop and had minimal swet around his neck.

"He was better today, normal gallop," said Jose Hernandez, assistant to trainer Chad Brown. "He got a little hot yesterday, but it was his first day. He looked good today. He handled the track really well."
katmandu

Wed May 16, 2018 2:34 pm

Sporting Chance didn't even want to jog this morning, kidney sweat too.

https://www.xbtv.com/video/d.-wayne-luk ... 16th-2018/
BaroqueAgain1

Wed May 16, 2018 2:54 pm

I think this is the second time this week Sporting Chance has refused to work as asked.
This Paulick article doesn't mention it, just says that that he and Bravazo took it 'easy' this morning. :?
https://www.paulickreport.com/news/trip ... wednesday/
ETA: This Bloodhorse article also doesn't say anything about Sporting Chance refusing to jog.
https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... mlico-slop
katmandu

Wed May 16, 2018 4:10 pm

Well in all fairness, refusing to break off and perform a scheduled work (where the track posts the work results for the public) is not the same as showing reluctance to move forward on the track for a jog. Although for a horse they may be part and parcel of the same problem. . .
Personal Ensign

Wed May 16, 2018 5:03 pm

What is the best and worst post positions at Pimlico?
Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people.
W. C. Fields

-Formerly LadyWeaver-
Tessablue

Wed May 16, 2018 5:20 pm

Personal Ensign wrote:What is the best and worst post positions at Pimlico?
The rail was cited as a bad place to be for years, but I'm not sure how much evidence there was for it and it certainly didn't stop American Pharoah. It definitely varies from year to year- the rail in 2013 was noticeably dead, not that anyone told Rosario...

The draw is likely to be more important. Nyquist drew the other speed immediately inside and outside of him in 2016 and he got cooked by the ensuing speed duel.
MySaladDays

Wed May 16, 2018 9:45 pm

Personal Ensign wrote:What is the best and worst post positions at Pimlico?
Historically? For Preakness:

Most winners post 8
next most winners: post 3 and post 7

Post Horse Trainer/Jockey Odds
1. Quip Brisset/Geroux 12-1
2. Lone Sailor Amoss/Ortiz Jr. 15-1
3. Sporting Chance Lukas/Contreras 30-1
4. Diamond King Servis/Castellano 30-1
5. Good Magic Brown/Ortiz 3-1
6. Tenfold Asmussen/Santana Jr. 20-1
7. Justify Baffert/Smith 1-2
8. Bravazo Lukas/Saez 20-1
MySaladDays

Wed May 16, 2018 9:49 pm

katmandu wrote:Well in all fairness, refusing to break off and perform a scheduled work (where the track posts the work results for the public) is not the same as showing reluctance to move forward on the track for a jog. Although for a horse they may be part and parcel of the same problem. . .
he's exactly like his sire. Does what he wants when he wants. Lukas said the same
Personally having seen him in person 2x, I think he is a late bloomer type
Somnambulist

Thu May 17, 2018 9:01 am

Chad Brown deserves a medal for running Good Magic here. What an absolute snoozer of race this would be otherwise.

This field has really suffered in recent years.
"Life's no piece of cake, mind you, but the recipe's my own to fool with."
stark

Thu May 17, 2018 10:29 am

Somnambulist wrote:Chad Brown deserves a medal for running Good Magic here. What an absolute snoozer of race this would be otherwise.

I was thinking from a betting perspective, Good Magic has to be the toss in here. $30 worth of trifectas keying Justify on top of everybody else for me.
Tessablue

Thu May 17, 2018 10:31 am

Somnambulist wrote:Chad Brown deserves a medal for running Good Magic here. What an absolute snoozer of race this would be otherwise.

Absolutely. I want to send those connections a fruit basket. I guess it makes sense that the Preakness would suffer as the Belmont strengthens, and the TC as a whole is more difficult and competitive than it used to be, but this field would be dire without Good Magic in there.
Somnambulist

Thu May 17, 2018 10:43 am

I am not betting this race so my opinion is probably not worth much, but even if I was I find this race inherently un-bettable unless you are using the race in a sequence. Outside of Good Magic and Justify there is nothing here that looks fast enough to move forward, unless those two regress a considerable amount.

But at 5/2 or whatever GM is morning .. yuck.

For a $1.5M (I think) Classic you think there would be some level of competitiveness, but I think that Derby race was a hard race so I guess they don't want to run back. There isn't much waiting in the shadows either.
Tessablue

Thu May 17, 2018 11:24 am

I think it's playable if you key the top two and go heavy on the supers, but it's not very appealing, the track will be a mess, and both of them have some question marks. I'm honestly surprised the foot bruise angle hasn't caused much fervor, but I suppose that's a Baffert benefit.

The Belmont looks like it'll be good, especially if Audible actually runs, and I don't think Justify will have it easy even if he walks here. That race has definitely improved in quality over the past decade or so, just wish the general Belmont day experience had improved along with it...
Somnambulist

Thu May 17, 2018 11:31 am

Tessablue wrote: The Belmont looks like it'll be good, especially if Audible actually runs, and I don't think Justify will have it easy even if he walks here. That race has definitely improved in quality over the past decade or so, just wish the general Belmont day experience had improved along with it...
I agree. :( Did you get the survey NYRA sent out on Monday regarding the Belmont and reno?

My boyfriend took the day off and is basically imploring us to go. We paid $95 for the upper grandstand last year and could literally see or hear nothing... we got lucky it was a non-TC year and had a lot of mobility. The food/beer prices don't kill me because whatever, I live in this money-pit state anyway but the drunk people are just horrible.

This is just a big money year for us already so I don't know if I can swing the $350 seats for the weekend but it is literally not worth attending without spending that much. I am having such anxiety over whether or not to get tickets I'm having dreams about it.
MySaladDays

Thu May 17, 2018 11:49 am

eh, these are 3 year olds. Not 4 year olds. ANYTHING can happen.
bare it all

Thu May 17, 2018 11:52 am

Somnambulist wrote:
Tessablue wrote: The Belmont looks like it'll be good, especially if Audible actually runs, and I don't think Justify will have it easy even if he walks here. That race has definitely improved in quality over the past decade or so, just wish the general Belmont day experience had improved along with it...
I agree. :( Did you get the survey NYRA sent out on Monday regarding the Belmont and reno?

My boyfriend took the day off and is basically imploring us to go. We paid $95 for the upper grandstand last year and could literally see or hear nothing... we got lucky it was a non-TC year and had a lot of mobility. The food/beer prices don't kill me because whatever, I live in this money-pit state anyway but the drunk people are just horrible.

This is just a big money year for us already so I don't know if I can swing the $350 seats for the weekend but it is literally not worth attending without spending that much. I am having such anxiety over whether or not to get tickets I'm having dreams about it.
Its your money and time and life... but I would implore you to go. Money is money and its hard to come by but there can always be more money made, but the experience?? You cannot buy an experience and if you're "unsure"... just do it. Regardless of the who/what - if there is a TC on the line after Saturday night, you'll be bummed you didn't buy those tickets. Regardless of who/what, Belmont with a TC on the line is like nothing else and I hope to one day attend such an event. Small kids and a husband make my life more difficult, but you have all the freedom and youth on your side. DO IT SOM :)
Tessablue

Thu May 17, 2018 12:12 pm

Aww man, that sucks Som. Remember when tickets were $65 with free parking? Last year I paid $100 plus $40 parking to sit behind a giant NYRA Bets tent. Couldn't see the track at all, but we got a great view of the singer or whoever when they performed for three minutes before the race. So if you do end up going, avoid section W at all costs. It's weird because the quality of racing on the day is massively improved and there are actual food options, but the crowd is awful and it just isn't as fun anymore. I didn't get the survey- what was it about?

Just caught up on some videos of Justify galloping. This is definitely not a betting race.
MySaladDays

Thu May 17, 2018 12:20 pm

Somnambulist wrote:Chad Brown deserves a medal for running Good Magic here..
But Tom Amoss doesn't?