Derby Point Races 2018

Re: Derby Point Races 2018

Postby BaroqueAgain1 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:22 pm

If they really want to have an international flavor to the Derby, some of those races should be win and you're in type qualifiers.

Stark, it turns out that they are, according to this from the above article;
"Victory in this rearranged contest, which was lost to snow last week, earned Gronkowski 20 points in the European 'Road to the Kentucky Derby' with the leader at the end of the series earning a spot in the first leg of the US Triple Crown on May 5, provided they have been nominated."

I don't know what other races are in this "series," but I think one race was supposed to have been run at Dundalk last week. That race, where Coolmore's Mendelssohn was scheduled to race, wasn't run due to "The Beast From the East" horrible weather. Don't know if that one's been rescheduled. :?
BaroqueAgain1

Postby BigDonOKC » Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:30 pm

free drop bill is on 2 cards - don't know about the Santa Anita card I look for him to take the Tampa bay downs race. :shock:
BigDonOKC

Postby stark » Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:33 pm

BigDonOKC wrote:free drop bill is on 2 cards -

Needs the weather to cooperate for the plane ride out of Florida.
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
stark

Postby stark » Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:37 pm

BigDonOKC wrote:don't know about the Santa Anita card

Bolt d'Oro
Lombo
Ayacara
McKinzie
Aquila
Calexman
Peace
Kanthaka
stark

Postby Sparrow Castle » Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:19 pm

Jeremy Balan Verified account @BH_JBalan
27m27 minutes ago
Owner/trainer Mick Ruis says he will not run Bolt d'Oro in the San Felipe if the main track is sloppy. Next week's Rebel is Plan B.

“If you have a horse this good, and you don’t have to run on a sloppy track and have more options, wouldn’t you run for $900,000 on a fast track?"
Sparrow Castle

Postby stark » Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:52 pm

Sparrow Castle wrote:Jeremy Balan Verified account @BH_JBalan
27m27 minutes ago
Owner/trainer Mick Ruis says he will not run Bolt d'Oro in the San Felipe if the main track is sloppy. Next week's Rebel is Plan B.

“If you have a horse this good, and you don’t have to run on a sloppy track and have more options, wouldn’t you run for $900,000 on a fast track?"

Jeremy Balan
‏@BH_JBalan

For what it's worth, with rain possible this weekend, this was Bob Baffert's response to possibly running McKinzie on a wet track.

"Rain, sleet, or snow."
stark

Postby Sparrow Castle » Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:56 pm

stark wrote:
Sparrow Castle wrote:Jeremy Balan Verified account @BH_JBalan
27m27 minutes ago

Jeremy Balan
‏@BH_JBalan

For what it's worth, with rain possible this weekend, this was Bob Baffert's response to possibly running McKinzie on a wet track.

"Rain, sleet, or snow."

Jeremy Balan Verified account @BH_JBalan
41m41 minutes ago
Let's parse this a bit, because the reaction has been harsh. The Rebel's purse is $500,000 more than the San Felipe's. Would it stand to reason, or at least help explain the idea, that if you're going to run in mud, why not run for more money? And the Rebel might not be muddy.
Sparrow Castle

Postby stark » Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:29 pm

The Gotham field, in post order:

1 Dial Operator Trevor McCarthy

2 Cove Blue Chris Landeros

3 Beautiful Shot Angel Arroyo

4 Whereshetoldmetogo Joe Rocco Jr.

5 Firenze Fire Manny Franco

6 Free Drop Billy Dylan Davis *cross entered @ TampaBay

7 Old Time Revival Steve Hamilton

8 Nine Route Kendrick Carmouche

9 Enticed Junior Alvarado *cross entered @ Tampa Bay
stark

Postby Treve » Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:34 am

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:If they really want to have an international flavor to the Derby, some of those races should be win and you're in type qualifiers.

Stark, it turns out that they are, according to this from the above article;
"Victory in this rearranged contest, which was lost to snow last week, earned Gronkowski 20 points in the European 'Road to the Kentucky Derby' with the leader at the end of the series earning a spot in the first leg of the US Triple Crown on May 5, provided they have been nominated."

I don't know what other races are in this "series," but I think one race was supposed to have been run at Dundalk last week. That race, where Coolmore's Mendelssohn was scheduled to race, wasn't run due to "The Beast From the East" horrible weather. Don't know if that one's been rescheduled. :?

Yes I believe that one was rescheduled for Friday.
And there is one last 30 point race at the end of march if I remember correctly on the European road to the KY Derby. I don't know how it works if one of them would run in Dubai though...
A filly named Ruffian...

Eine Stute namens Danedream...

Une pouliche se nommant Trêve...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

And a Queen named Beholder
Treve

Postby stark » Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:18 pm

Jeremy Noseda
‏@JeremyNoseda

Gronkowski has come out of last night's race well. The road to Kentucky and the first Saturday in May is a little bit clearer now. All being well, we'll head to the US next for either the Blue Grass or Wood Memorial. Will finalise plans with @PhoenixThoroug1 & @amerabdulaziz
stark

PreviousNext

Return to Racing