Jockey/Trainer News - 2018

Re: Jockey/Trainer News - 2018

Postby Treve » Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:16 pm

WaquoitNBroadBrush wrote:
Sparrow Castle wrote:‘Goggles as Whip’ Earns $76,000 Win–And a $200 Fine
Jockey David Cabrera was on the lead and under pressure aboard an 8-1 filly approaching the final furlong of the fourth race Feb. 10 when the whip slipped from his grip and skittered uselessly behind him in the Oaklawn Park slop.

The 25-year-old rider didn’t waste much time before instinct kicked in. He ripped down a pair of goggles from atop his helmet with his right hand and used them as a substitute crop to propel the 4-year-old La Key (J P’s Gusto) forward, prevailing by three-quarters of a length in the $76,000 allowance (VIDEO).

Such a spontaneous tactic is not unprecedented in North American racing. Nylon helmet covers, for example, have occasionally been employed in this manner over the years.

But in the state of Arkansas, striking a horse with anything other than an “ordinary whip” is explicitly forbidden.

Thus, on Feb. 16, Cabrera was hit with a $200 fine from the Arkansas Racing Commission for violation of state Rule #1214, which states, in part, “No electrical or mechanical device or other expedient designed to increase or decrease the speed of a horse, or that would tend to do so, other than the ordinary whip, shall be possessed by any one or applied by any one to a horse at any time.”

So merely possessing goggles, a helmet cover or anything else that might make a horse go faster is a no-no? Gee. Boots could be used that way, too, or a lead pad from under the saddle, or even the helmet itself. And all the other jocks in the race were in possession of goggles. Why weren't they fined?

Obviously, the rule was written to apply to buzzers, joints, or whatever you want to call electrical devices, not pieces of standard jockey equipment, none of which were "designed" to help a horse run faster. I wonder if Cabrera appealed the fine or figured it wasn't worth fighting.

It's poorly worded but it does say "possessed" (such as electrical devices) or applied... you don't normally apply goggles to horses. In his shoes I wouldn't appeal it, not worth it. But that's just yet another problem with not having unified racing rules.
A filly named Ruffian...

Eine Stute namens Danedream...

Une pouliche se nommant Trêve...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

And a Queen named Beholder
Treve

Postby PJMIII » Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:00 am

Trainer Brittany Trimble Scores First Career Victory

Peter Blum's filly Oh My captured the fourth race at Laurel Park Feb. 25.

https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... er-victory
PJMIII

Postby stark » Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:29 am

Good read. Trainer Robert Falcone Jr. from New York to California

https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... ium=social
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
stark

Postby stark » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:01 pm

Martin Garcia is returning to ride full time at Santa Anita after a three-month sojourn on the New York Racing Association circuit. The 33-year-old native of Veracruz, Mexico, will be represented by Vince DeGregory, who will continue to handle apprentice Cesar Franco.

“Martin is fulfilling his obligations in New York this week, is due here Monday and will start working horses Tuesday,” said DeGregory, 85, who has represented eight Hall of Fame jockeys in a career that started in 1959 with a kid out of Puerto Rico named Angel Cordero Jr.
stark

Postby Sparrow Castle » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:06 pm

Feel good story...includes info about Brass Hat and the antics of The Player.

Breeders’ Cup Presents Connections: ‘Playing’ Around At Bradley’s Indian Ridge Farm
...One of Kabel's first equine students was multi-millionaire and Grade 1 winner Brass Hat, whom she had groomed and galloped during his star-studded career. The gelding, who will be honored as an official Breyer model horse at the Kentucky Horse Park later this year, did some small local shows with both Chelsey Coady and the now 14-year-old Jett Bradley.

“He jumps very well, but he just doesn't really enjoy it,” Kabel said. “Now, Buff or I will occasionally throw a stock saddle on him to trail ride around the property, but for the most part he just hangs out with his best friend in his paddock.”

...“Kim (Bradley's wife) actually delivered The Player, along with his daughter Jett,” Kabel recalled. “He has been sitting like a dog on his haunches for his whole life – we even sent him to the clinic a few times because of that!”

The Player has developed a fan following due to his unusual antics off the racetrack, including the habit of sitting down on his haunches. He even has a Facebook page, operated by Bradley himself, which has a number of entertaining videos showcasing those antics. One of The Player's favorite tricks is to lie down with his head hanging out underneath the stall guard into the shed row, then stretch his lips to beg for peppermints whenever anyone walks by...

https://www.paulickreport.com/features/breeders-cup-presents-connections/playing-around-at-bradleys-indian-ridge-farm/
Sparrow Castle

Postby BaroqueAgain1 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:13 pm

How spoiled is The Player; he has his own pillow to rest his head on while he's mooching peppermints. :lol:
BaroqueAgain1

Postby katmandu » Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:13 pm

And the crowd rose to their feet!

Win #2000 for Shug with Fly So Hall.
katmandu

Postby stark » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:35 am

Happy Birthday Gary Stevens, #55!
stark

Postby Little Watermelon » Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:26 pm

Sparrow Castle wrote:Feel good story...includes info about Brass Hat and the antics of The Player.

Breeders’ Cup Presents Connections: ‘Playing’ Around At Bradley’s Indian Ridge Farm
...One of Kabel's first equine students was multi-millionaire and Grade 1 winner Brass Hat, whom she had groomed and galloped during his star-studded career. The gelding, who will be honored as an official Breyer model horse at the Kentucky Horse Park later this year, did some small local shows with both Chelsey Coady and the now 14-year-old Jett Bradley.

“He jumps very well, but he just doesn't really enjoy it,” Kabel said. “Now, Buff or I will occasionally throw a stock saddle on him to trail ride around the property, but for the most part he just hangs out with his best friend in his paddock.”

...“Kim (Bradley's wife) actually delivered The Player, along with his daughter Jett,” Kabel recalled. “He has been sitting like a dog on his haunches for his whole life – we even sent him to the clinic a few times because of that!”

The Player has developed a fan following due to his unusual antics off the racetrack, including the habit of sitting down on his haunches. He even has a Facebook page, operated by Bradley himself, which has a number of entertaining videos showcasing those antics. One of The Player's favorite tricks is to lie down with his head hanging out underneath the stall guard into the shed row, then stretch his lips to beg for peppermints whenever anyone walks by...

https://www.paulickreport.com/features/breeders-cup-presents-connections/playing-around-at-bradleys-indian-ridge-farm/

Thanks for posting this article. Brass Hat was one of my favorite horses. When my wife and I used to go to Suffolk regularly to play simulcasts, we were talking to Christian Teja who worked at Suffolk at the time and mentioned we were fans of the horse, who was coming for the MassCap. He arranged for us to meet Buff Bradley and BH. He won the race that year. Buff was a very nice, unassuming guy, and we are always happy to hear when he has successful horses.
Little Watermelon

Postby stark » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:46 am

BIG CONGRATULATIONS....

Jockey “JOEL ROSARIO” becomes US Citizen today... proud day in the life a Dominican, who’s dreams came true today....

https://twitter.com/ronaldt54/status/971160415161012225
stark

PreviousNext

Return to Racing