The VENT Thread

starrydreamer

Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:07 pm

Ballerina wrote:Supposedly this kid inherited nearly a million dollars from his late adoptive mother. I'm sure the courts will force him to use that money for a legal defense (should he not plead out) instead of asking for a court appointed attorney.
He admitted to killing all those people. He's spending life in prison or getting the death penalty. What's he going to use that money for - commissary? Which will likely get stolen from him since the other inmates won't be so keen on a child killer. If he's dumb enough to turn down the plea and go to trial, he should use that money to pay a defense attorney to keep him off death row, which I doubt will happen. I'm fine if he pleads guilty and gets life in prison without possibility of parole for 30 years or so. I want him to sit in prison and think about how he killed classmates, with the vague hope that maybe he'll get out of prison someday if he can change.

As for financing, these kids are pretty well organized themselves. They're getting funding from celebrities. We complain and complain about "KIDS TODAY" and then we see them actually doing things and are immediately suspicious of who is REALLY behind their actions. What they're doing is admirable.
stark

Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:28 pm

starrydreamer wrote: As for financing, these kids are pretty well organized themselves. They're getting funding from celebrities. We complain and complain about "KIDS TODAY" and then we see them actually doing things and are immediately suspicious of who is REALLY behind their actions. What they're doing is admirable.
True but....
Now we're learning that the organizers behind The Womans March are setting a March 3rd national protest for the kids
https://www.cnn.com/2018/02/18/us/natio ... index.html

I was thinking that it sort of reminded me of Union Rebel Rousers that come in from out of the area and get folks organized to protest.

And, I'm assuming that Clooney and Oprah's money will go towards paying the overtime for police that are required for crowd control?
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
Ballerina

Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:32 pm

Now knowing he has all that money, the parents of the slain children may bring a class action civil suit if he decides to take a plea deal.
Insane Crazy

Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:19 pm

stark wrote:True but....
Now we're learning that the organizers behind The Womans March are setting a March 3rd national protest for the kids
https://www.cnn.com/2018/02/18/us/natio ... index.html

I was thinking that it sort of reminded me of Union Rebel Rousers that come in from out of the area and get folks organized to protest.

And, I'm assuming that Clooney and Oprah's money will go towards paying the overtime for police that are required for crowd control?
The students very clearly want to protest. If someone is giving them the resources and support to make it a big one, then kudos to them.

Not sure what your point is with the police overtime comment, though. Ensuring safe and peaceful protest is pretty high up there on the list of things on police job descriptions. They'll get paid for doing their job.
Not a wholesome trottin' race, no, but a race where they sit down right on the horse!
Like to see some stuck-up jockey boy sittin' on Dan Patch? Make your blood boil? Well, I should say!
stark

Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:59 pm

Insane Crazy wrote: Not sure what your point is with the police overtime comment, though. Ensuring safe and peaceful protest is pretty high up there on the list of things on police job descriptions. They'll get paid for doing their job.
The additional expense for any protest should not be a taxpayers responsibility where city budgets are strained to the max. It's nice to see somebody stepping up and donating the necessary cash.
starrydreamer

Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:46 pm

stark wrote:
Insane Crazy wrote: Not sure what your point is with the police overtime comment, though. Ensuring safe and peaceful protest is pretty high up there on the list of things on police job descriptions. They'll get paid for doing their job.
The additional expense for any protest should not be a taxpayers responsibility where city budgets are strained to the max. It's nice to see somebody stepping up and donating the necessary cash.
I think it's nice if the protest movement can afford to pay the police force's overtime. However, requiring it would, I think, be a violation of the Constitution. Protest is a form of free speech. Requiring protesters to pay for the police would basically be a fee, which would preclude poor people from being able to protest, thus the violation of their free speech rights.
stark

Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:11 pm

starrydreamer wrote:
I think it's nice if the protest movement can afford to pay the police force's overtime. However, requiring it would, I think, be a violation of the Constitution. Protest is a form of free speech. Requiring protesters to pay for the police would basically be a fee, which would preclude poor people from being able to protest, thus the violation of their free speech rights.
There's only X amount of dollars in any city budget and that has to cover costs for libraries, potholes, security, parks&recreation, schools, police, fire, salaries, etc etc etc.
I prefer my tax dollars NOT be spent controlling any organized protest movement. I'm not sure I can recall a protest movement with people in the streets producing a WINNING outcome for them? I say let the organizers provide their own private security/crowd control.

It's almost akin to pyromaniacs or careless campers and the city Fire Department, they've got enough on their hands without voluntary problems.
Somebody has to pay, either those responsible or the taxpayer.
starrydreamer

Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:08 pm

stark wrote:
starrydreamer wrote:
There's only X amount of dollars in any city budget and that has to cover costs for libraries, potholes, security, parks&recreation, schools, police, fire, salaries, etc etc etc.
I prefer my tax dollars NOT be spent controlling any organized protest movement. I'm not sure I can recall a protest movement with people in the streets producing a WINNING outcome for them? I say let the organizers provide their own private security/crowd control.

It's almost akin to pyromaniacs or careless campers and the city Fire Department, they've got enough on their hands without voluntary problems.
Somebody has to pay, either those responsible or the taxpayer.
Protests aren't about winning. Putting my personal feelings about protests aside - you'll never find me at one, because I don't like crowds and I really don't like yelling - people have the right to have their voices heard. If they feel that their elected officials aren't listening to them - and they aren't - they have the right to make people hear them.

And you think that protests movements don't work? The peaceful protests during the civil rights movement were paramount in getting the Civil Rights Act passed in the 1960s. And protests helped women get the right to vote.

However - I will say that protests aren't enough. For a protest to be successful, there also needs to be behind-the-scenes stuff being done, like lobbying and organizing. Which, in the case of the teens protesting against gun violence, there is.
stark

Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:27 pm

LONG BEACH — A Placentia man who rode a white horse on the 91 Freeway in Long Beach on his 29th birthday the morning of Saturday, Feb. 24, was arrested on suspicion of drunken driving, California Highway Patrol officials said.

According to a CHP news release, a 911 caller, around 1 a.m. reported a man riding a white horse eastbound on the 91 from Paramount Boulevard to Downey Avenue. CHP officers found the man after he exited at Downey Avenue and rode into Bellflower.

The rider, identified as Luis Alfredo Perez, was stopped and interviewed by officers who administered field sobriety tests and determined he was under the influence of alcohol, officials said.
https://www.ocregister.com/2018/02/24/o ... um=twitter
BaroqueAgain1

Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:55 pm

The horse looks like an Arabian, and someone took the time to braid/tie up its mane. Horse probably had more sense as a driver than his/her rider. :P
Last edited by BaroqueAgain1 on Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
starrydreamer

Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:48 am

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:The horse looks like an Arabian, and someone took the time to braid/tie up its mane. Horse probably had more sense as as a driver than his/her rider. :P
And it's definitely grey, not white. :lol:
Ballerina

Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:36 pm

I have been trying since February 5th to reach my cardiologist by phone. All I get is - "the lines are busy, someone will be with you shortly." Nuh uh - no one gets back at all, let alone shortly. I've called every day, 3 x's a day, always the same message. I sent a letter 10 days ago asking for someone to call me so I could make an appointment. Still no response. This Thursday we will be in the area. I'll stop in and try very hard to remain calm, and maybe just maybe I'll finally get an appointment. They told me when I was there last to call the 1st of February to make an appointment for March. Just following orders.

This is the vent thread, isn't it. Steam coming out of the top of my head.
stark

Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:49 pm

Strange way for a Dr. to retain his customer base.

Be well in spite of him!
starrydreamer

Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:03 pm

Ballerina wrote:I have been trying since February 5th to reach my cardiologist by phone. All I get is - "the lines are busy, someone will be with you shortly." Nuh uh - no one gets back at all, let alone shortly. I've called every day, 3 x's a day, always the same message. I sent a letter 10 days ago asking for someone to call me so I could make an appointment. Still no response. This Thursday we will be in the area. I'll stop in and try very hard to remain calm, and maybe just maybe I'll finally get an appointment. They told me when I was there last to call the 1st of February to make an appointment for March. Just following orders.

Noooo, not cool. Hope you are able to get your appointment.
Catalina

Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:01 pm

Ballerina wrote:I have been trying since February 5th to reach my cardiologist by phone. All I get is - "the lines are busy, someone will be with you shortly." Nuh uh - no one gets back at all, let alone shortly. I've called every day, 3 x's a day, always the same message. I sent a letter 10 days ago asking for someone to call me so I could make an appointment. Still no response. This Thursday we will be in the area. I'll stop in and try very hard to remain calm, and maybe just maybe I'll finally get an appointment. They told me when I was there last to call the 1st of February to make an appointment for March. Just following orders.

That's flat out bizarre.
stark

Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:06 pm

Florida follow-up....

Congrats to Dicks Sporting Goods for taking a stand that may impact their sales bottom line.

Won't sell any AR-15s
Won't sell guns to anybody under 21.
Won't sell high capacity magazines.
Won't sell bump stocks.

Of course nobody knows what, if any, effect this will have on the big picture, but it beats the heck out of forming another committee and discussing it some more.

https://www.nbcnews.com/business/busine ... es-n851881
Catalina

Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:28 pm

Step in the right direction. It's what a lot of people think should be implemented.
BaroqueAgain1

Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:17 pm

Love the fact that other states are asking Delta to consider them as its new headquarters, since some politicos in Georgia are threatening to punish the company for discontinuing its NRA discounts.
Maybe I should have posted this in Happiness instead? :P :lol:
Tessablue

Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:49 pm

Tessablue wrote:It doesn't have to happen here, either, but it will keep happening until your incomprehensibly vicious, fearmongering, nihilistic ideology is ground into dust. And if my generation doesn't do it, the next one will.
Tessablue wrote:All these arguments? All that fear you desperately cling to? It's not just pointless- it'll be a source of scorn and derision for generations, until it's finally forgotten. That's your legacy!
Tessablue wrote:I just want to make it as clear as possible that no matter how entrenched you are, you're going to lose, and history will not be kind about it.
I love it when things get started ahead of schedule :D
starrydreamer

Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:06 am

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:Love the fact that other states are asking Delta to consider them as its new headquarters, since some politicos in Georgia are threatening to punish the company for discontinuing its NRA discounts.
Maybe I should have posted this in Happiness instead? :P :lol:
Seriously. Delta's main hub being Atlanta has been a huge deal for Georgia and THIS is how some of Georgia's politicians have chosen to thank them? I hope Delta doesn't cave on the whole NRA discount thing and actually does move to a new state.