What if we had a National Racing Czar?

stark

Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:33 pm

Would he allow them to race in the snow blizzards at Laurel and Mountaineer today?
What fun is that for anybody involved, this ain't Lambo Field we're talkin about. If you keep records, how do reference a track like that, muddy with sleet and snow mixed in?

Would he give Martin Pedroza 15 days for fisticuffs in the jocks room with a valet at Santa Anita along with a $500 fine?
I understand he knocked the guy out by hitting him with his helmet but compare that penalty with the 3 and 5 day suspensions jocks get all the time when another horse and rider's lives are on the line for misbehavior on the racetrack, something seems strange.

Would he allow a first time colt to run? ;)
Jeremy Balan
‏@BH_JBalan
Today in gelding news, Croissant in the first race, who was listed as being gelded in the past performances and in the program, is actually a colt, according to the Santa Anita racing office.
1st: 4 Croissant $7.00 $4.20 $3.40
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
BaroqueAgain1

Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:06 pm

I am no fan of careless riding by jocks, and would probably levy more penalties than many stewards. However, I can understand why Martin got hit with that punishment. Fighting in the jock's room is bad enough, but when you deliberately take a helmet and hit a guy so hard with it that it knocks him unconscious, that's way past bad. That's assault.
Martin may be lucky that he's not in jail for that. :?
ETA: Regarding the miraculous reappearance of Croissant's jewels: Doesn't anyone LOOK at the horses when they go through their pre-race identification process? Does the paddock judge just hate to lean over and look at the horse's undercarriage? :shock: :lol:
Hate to say it, but this isn't the first time I've heard of this happening. :oops:
stark

Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:06 pm

Would he allow 10-11 year olds to be racing for a claiming price of $1,500 at some place named Rillito?

1 Brazos Ego (TX) 11/G L $1,500 D Aguilar 126 M Chavez 4/1
2 Spring for It (CA) 6/G L $1,500 L R Yescas, Jr. 126 M Ortega 5/2
3 Son of a Pistola (CA) 7/G L $1,500 M Ybarra 126 R D Ybarra 5/1
4 Peppery (CA) 8/M L $1,500 L Gamez 121 R B Bazurto 6/1
5 Trigo Padigo (CO) 7/M $1,500 D L French 121 J Perkins 8/1
6 Gambler Bill (CA) 10/G $1,500 R C Gamez 126 D Kern 2/1
7 Red Charger (CA) 8/G L $1,500 J Klaiber 126 R D Ybarra 10/1

p.s. the #1 was coming off a 517 day layoff, with $76,000 in the bank from 71 lifetime starts. Finished 4th @ 3/1. $1,150 to the winner.
Last edited by stark on Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BaroqueAgain1

Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:09 pm

"He" might, but maybe "she" wouldn't. :P
Perhaps our National Racing Czar should be our Czarina.
stark

Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:18 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:"He" might, but maybe "she" wouldn't. :P
Perhaps our National Racing Czar should be our Czarina.

Pick a lady from any walk of life that you think might be able to do the job and I'm all for it (since I can't think of a man that could pull if off)
Bo
Hillary
Penny (deceased)
Margaret (would've mandated all turf racing)
Julie
????????????????
Ballerina

Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:24 pm

stark wrote: Pick a lady from any walk of life that you think might be able to do the job and I'm all for it (since I can't think of a man that could pull if off)
Bo
Hillary
Penny (deceased)
Julie
????????????????
Barbara
Mandy
Charlotte
stark

Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:29 pm

Ballerina wrote:
stark wrote: Pick a lady from any walk of life that you think might be able to do the job and I'm all for it (since I can't think of a man that could pull if off)
Bo
Hillary
Penny (deceased)
Julie
????????????????
Barbara
Mandy
Charlotte
It's probably easier than I'm thinkin'
All you really have to do is get NYRA, Stronach, Churchill and the CHRB all on the same page along with the customers, owners and trainers.
barbaro111

Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:37 am

As I was trying to watch the races at Laurel on TVG, I could not believe what I was seeing-- was getting angry wondering how Laurel could allow the horses to race in those deplorable conditions
-then I wondered why the jockeys didn't protest and refuse to ride in that crap--why wouldn't they protest? I can't believe it isn't dangerous for horses to race in mud, snow and sleet!
Ridan_Remembered

Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:13 am

stark wrote:It's probably easier than I'm thinkin'
All you really have to do is get NYRA, Stronach, Churchill and the CHRB all on the same page along with the customers, owners and trainers.
All you'd really have to do is get the multiple racing jurisdictions (feds, states, counties and cities) to go along with it. That, right there, is the heart of the problem. Once politicians get their grubby hands on an income stream, they never let go even to the point of nearly killing the source of that income. The problem is not male or female, left or right, it is politicians of all stripes.
Catalina

Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:59 pm

stark wrote:
Ballerina wrote:
Bo
Hillary
Penny (deceased)
Julie
????????????????
Barbara
Mandy
Charlotte
It's probably easier than I'm thinkin'
Gretchen Jackson
stark

Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:38 pm

Jeremy Balan
@BH_JBalan

Some humdingers on the CHRB agenda for next week.

- Required transfer of medical records for horses who have been claimed.

- Automatic scratch of first-time geldings who aren't reported as geldings.

http://www.chrb.ca.gov/Board/board_meet ... agenda.pdf
BaroqueAgain1

Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:48 pm

Those are both such good ideas. How much to you want to wager that various groups (trainers, owners, vets?) will fight the first one? :roll:
stark

Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:58 pm

stark wrote:Jeremy Balan
@BH_JBalan

Some humdingers on the CHRB agenda for next week.

- Required transfer of medical records for horses who have been claimed.

- Automatic scratch of first-time geldings who aren't reported as geldings.

http://www.chrb.ca.gov/Board/board_meet ... agenda.pdf
The CHRB, trainers, and vets have compromised over the transfer of vet records for claimed horses. The scope of the new proposal would only mandate records of joint injections. Could get approved during the May CHRB meeting.

https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... ium=social
Sparrow Castle

Mon May 07, 2018 9:38 pm

Some thoughtful responses here and some overlap, some not so thoughtful.

Thoroughbred Idea Foundation @racingideas
If you were Czar of Racing, what would be your first three changes/improvements?

Carrie Brogden @MachmerHall
35m35 minutes ago
Replying to @racingideas
#1 NO race day drugs
#2 all horses post retirement not good enough to joint the broodmare bands or stand at stud be funneled into a standard rehome organization
#3 make a universal license, valid in all racing states , just like a DL.

maggi moss @maggimoss
2h2 hours ago
1. Hire a “czar” w total uniformity of all racing - rules and drug enforcement
2. Hire a public relations firm that brings back fans to the sport
3. Make tracks and regulators rid the sport of owners/trainers that callously discard the real athletes - the horses

Cormac Breathnach @CormacCB
1h1 hour ago
Replying to @racingideas
1. Fix the “upside-down model” where ADWs get lion’s share of takeout ahead of host tracks
2. Uniform rules etc
3. Limit stallion book sizes

Craig Bernick @Craig_Bernick
3h3 hours ago
Craig Bernick Retweeted Thoroughbred Idea Foundation
1. reduce takeout
2. make data (PP’s, race replays, catalog pages, live stream of races) available for free
3. create a central business office to improve marketing, sponsorship, and public relations of racing

More: https://twitter.com/racingideas/status/ ... 0860536832
Sparrow Castle

Mon May 07, 2018 10:53 pm

Joe Nevills @DRFNevills
7m7 minutes ago
1. Revive a Thoroughbred track in Michigan with proper funding, staff and support to survive long-term. Preferably GLD, but I’ll take anything but Pinnacle.

2. Revive Mount Pleasant Meadows under the same conditions.

3. Retire as czar of racing. My work here is done.
Ballerina

Mon May 07, 2018 11:04 pm

Perhaps a commission would be the answer - a long time equine lawyer, a former/retired trainer, a former/retired jockey, a multi horse owner/breeder over a long period of time. All with impeccable credentials.
Sparrow Castle

Thu May 24, 2018 8:06 pm

I think it would be great if all bettors had the same odds info as the big CRW players.

CHRB's Baedeker Wants Late Odds Changes Addressed
After a staff report and presentation by California Horse Racing Board executive director Rick Baedeker outlining his concerns about computer-robotic wagering, specifically late odds changes, the regulator decided May 24 to form a committee to examine the issue.

Baedeker recommended the board adopt a rule that mandates correct odds be provided to the public no later than five seconds after the start of any race. The staff report said the industry should be given a deadline to meet that standard. If it's not met, California would close its pools earlier, for instance when the first horse enters the gate.

Baedeker added that closing pools early is not a solution he favors, but he does want the industry to move forward on addressing odds changes. He said the late odds changes that have followed increased play by CRW outfits has negatively impacted horseplayers' perceptions. He said a proposed rule with a reasonable timeframe would force the issue.

Furthermore, the CHRB executive director asked that the board encourage advance-deposit wagering outlets and tote companies to provide some of the same advantages enjoyed by CRW players to more of the public at large—in an effort to level the playing field. Baedeker didn't envision any rules being adopted toward this goal but hoped the message would be communicated to the industry.

"It would seem desirable to provide average players with the same tote connectivity as other bigger players have," Baedeker said. "I simply raise it because I've heard from players that it's not necessarily an even playing field."
More: https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... -addressed
stark

Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:41 am

Last add.....

There's one thing I'm convinced of and that is the consistency from the racing crowd anytime something doesn't go as expected,
from a drop in odds after the race starts
to improper doses of medications being discovered
to duplicate owners in a race without coupling,
to a photo finish taking too long to decipher,
to not having a good camera angle investigating activities around the far turn,
to jocks not spending enough time on the scale for the arrow to settle,
to horses leaving the track for "treatments"
to jocks using the whip too often
to a track like Parx charging 30% for tri's and supers, while others charge as little as 19%
to California tracks trying to discourage claiming by out-of-state based connections.
to horses being asked to run in the snow on dangerous footing
to a lack of freebies provided to fans, pp's video etc.
to trainers "giving" their horse a start unbeknownst to the betting fans
to trainers and jocks strategizing how a race will unfold and who the competition is
to a foul is a foul or did it cost the horse a placing stewardship
and the list goes on.
And the thing the racing crowd is consistent about is the knee-jerk reaction, and I quote, "this wouldn't happen if we had National Policy", overseeing Czar, call it what you want, the people seem to think The Federales are the right answer.

And I'm convinced it isn't. There's nothing about the NFL or MLB that equates to horse racing. Horse racing is run by the individual states with varying laws and there's nothing wrong with that. Let the public, with their wallets, decide what's best for them. If they like wagering on horses where no raceday meds are allowed, somebody in Kentucky has enough pull to make that happen, then follow the money and see if it's really what the fans want? Same goes with coupled entries, if that's what the people want, a track will do it. But in reality, the outcry isn't strong enough, people seem to bet on whatever race is coming up next no matter some of those serious issues. And is that so bad?
Allow the free market to work, the public will bet with their wallets which product is best, and from a purely economical standpoint they have a new major foe becoming legalized, sports wagering! And once again, I'm convinced that a Czarina wouldn't know how to combat it.
If it was so easy, it'd already be done.
BigDonOKC

Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:55 pm

Ballerina wrote:
Bo
Hillary
Penny (deceased)
Julie
????????????????
Barbara
Mandy
Charlotte
Stark us to think you had a little common since--Hillary should be and more than likely will be. ;)
BaroqueAgain1

Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:48 pm

Stark, I agree that letting bettors vote for changes via their wallets makes sense...for those things which have no effect on the actual horse.
Anything that affects the horses, like whipping, meds or track surfaces, can't really wait for the money to exert pressure for change.
The welfare of the racehorses needs to come first, for so many reasons.