Winter Olympics watch

BaroqueAgain1

Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:22 am

Oh, don't feel lonely. I think most of the world find the Swarm of Kim-Styled Synchronized Sycophants WAY creepy.
stark

Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:27 pm

There's a time and a place for everything, and the gold medal celebration press conference was not the right time or the right place to be asking Shawn White about the #MeToo allegations in his past.
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
Ballerina

Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:45 pm

I was happy for Shaun White - he sure can fly. Sorry to hear the allegations hurled against him. I took particular note of the flag dragging, but I chalk it off to him not really catching grip of reality with what he had just accomplished. He did apologize.
BaroqueAgain1

Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:50 pm

I think trying to carry his helmet and board AND the flag, all while getting hugs and backslaps from his fans, was a bit too much, even for Shaun. He needed another arm.
Maybe whoever shoved the flag into his hands could have helped carry a corner? :oops:
Catalina

Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:44 am

lurkey mclurker wrote:I'm watching on Eurosport, it's a refreshing change. :mrgreen:
And so, how much does Eurosport want for a subscription, and how long is it for?
Ballerina

Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:01 pm

The German pairs last night were breathtaking.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nhl/ge ... li=BBnb7Kz
BaroqueAgain1

Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:12 pm

They were, and I think the scene in the 'kiss and cry' after Savchenko and Massot won the gold has become my favorite moment from the Games so far.
This was Aljona's fifth Olympics and, IIRC, Massot is her third partner. She's been trying for 16 years to win that gold...she'd come so close but never quite got there.
She must be admired by the other skaters, both for her perseverance and her talent, because she was embraced by all the other competitors after the results were final. Radford led the charge, getting up from her seat and going over to hug the sobbing Aljona, followed by everyone else. The happiness shown by the other skaters as they congratulated her looked and sounded genuine.
Her partner, the young former French citizen Massot, had just skated far better than he did in the short program, so he was pretty much a puddle of relieved tears. :D
lurkey mclurker

Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:31 am

Catalina wrote:
lurkey mclurker wrote:I'm watching on Eurosport, it's a refreshing change. :mrgreen:
And so, how much does Eurosport want for a subscription, and how long is it for?
I have no idea as I am watching streams via Reddit's Winter Olympics thread. :mrgreen: It's been pretty reliable & sometimes the non-NBC commentary is hilarious (when it's not in Russian, which I don't know so I have no idea :lol: ). There were Aussie commentators for pairs and first the lady commentator echoed my thoughts about the Chinese skater, Zhang Hao, being built like a brick wall... and later in their skate, the male commentator marveled about his physique too. :lol:

reddit.com/r/WinterOlympicsStreams/
BaroqueAgain1

Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:42 am

Is Zhang Hao the one Johnny said the other skaters called The Hulk? :lol:
lurkey mclurker

Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:54 am

Yeah, that would be him. :mrgreen:

On a side note, I guess Yuzuru Hanyu just answered lingering questions about whether his ankle issues have been worked out? Holy crap that program. :shock:
BaroqueAgain1

Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:01 am

And holy crap, Nathan Chen has a painfully bad case of the Olympic Yips. :shock: :(
Could Adam Rippon end up being the only US hope for a medal?
lurkey mclurker

Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:15 am

Adam Rippon won't medal, he doesn't have the difficulty. But I hope he has a faboo free skate & enjoys the heck out of it.

I felt badly for Nathan, he was just wound too tight looked like. But Shoma Uno brought it for Japan toooooo. I am like biting my nails here.
BaroqueAgain1

Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:01 am

IMHO, the pressure on Nathan has probably been more than what most athletes have to deal with, especially amateur athletes.
I can't count the television profiles I've seen on Nathan, on all the NBC channels and every local station here in SoCal. Add the all-sports outfits like ESPN, print media and even the TMZ types. The obligations of being a top (young, attractive) Olympic athlete...I can't imagine the time and energy it's taken out of his days...when he should have been given the space/privacy to completely focus.
I know he's been performing for years but he's still only 18. :(
Catalina

Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:50 am

lurkey mclurker wrote:
Catalina wrote:
I have no idea as I am watching streams via Reddit's Winter Olympics thread. :mrgreen: It's been pretty reliable & sometimes the non-NBC commentary is hilarious (when it's not in Russian, which I don't know so I have no idea :lol: ). There were Aussie commentators for pairs and first the lady commentator echoed my thoughts about the Chinese skater, Zhang Hao, being built like a brick wall... and later in their skate, the male commentator marveled about his physique too. :lol:

reddit.com/r/WinterOlympicsStreams/
Thanks! I'll have to check it out!
Ballerina

Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:10 am

Ditto on everything said about Nathan. The pressure and the hype have been too much for him. I hope he does well in the long/free program. Maybe now that he knows he's not in medal contention - even if he skates perfect- he'll calm down and get back his mojo. One can only hope.

The Chinese single man skater was very good, but I really liked the young man fom Spain who is now in 2nd place.
starrydreamer

Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:30 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:IMHO, the pressure on Nathan has probably been more than what most athletes have to deal with, especially amateur athletes.
I can't count the television profiles I've seen on Nathan, on all the NBC channels and every local station here in SoCal. Add the all-sports outfits like ESPN, print media and even the TMZ types. The obligations of being a top (young, attractive) Olympic athlete...I can't imagine the time and energy it's taken out of his days...when he should have been given the space/privacy to completely focus.
I know he's been performing for years but he's still only 18. :(
But he's 18, so he HASN'T been performing for years, not as the senior international level. He's so good and skates so maturely that we all forget that. He's an 18 year old kid. He'll be back in 4 years.

I also hope he has a great free skate tonight. I hope that for Adam Rippon, too - I love his long program.
Tessablue

Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:06 pm

lurkey mclurker wrote:Yeah, that would be him. :mrgreen:

On a side note, I guess Yuzuru Hanyu just answered lingering questions about whether his ankle issues have been worked out? Holy crap that program. :shock:
I saw that program at World's a few years ago and it left me crying in my seat. Up there with American Pharoah's Belmont as one of the most extraordinary things I've ever seen. Just beyond thrilled to see that he recaptured that magic yesterday, fingers crossed for another clean performance tonight because he truly deserves to go back-to-back.

Javy is wonderfully charming and capable of winning on his best day, I really hope he medals after the disappointing 4th in Sochi. I really like both Boyang Jin and Shoma Uno- Shoma was a work in progress when I saw him a few years ago, but he's truly formidable now. I know people say skating is too technical now, but I think all of these guys are great (or in Hanyu's case, masterful) at infusing artistry with technical difficulty.

I feel bad for Nathan Chen but at the moment have no interest in him. The US men have been terrible for a while now so I imagine that's contributed to the hype and pressure, hopefully he learns from this and comes back stronger and more experienced in four years.
BaroqueAgain1

Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:38 pm

SIX QUADS!? Alright, way to go, Nathan Chen. Or as Tara is now calling him, Nathan Quad. :D
Ballerina

Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:22 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:SIX QUADS!? Alright, way to go, Nathan Chen. Or as Tara is now calling him, Nathan Quad. :D
As I suspected, the pressure is no longer there. He can get back to his ability. It's a good morale booster. He'll be back in 4 years. In the interview afterwards he said he had nothing to lose so he went for it and nailed it. I'm very happy for him.
starrydreamer

Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:13 pm

Ballerina wrote:
BaroqueAgain1 wrote:SIX QUADS!? Alright, way to go, Nathan Chen. Or as Tara is now calling him, Nathan Quad. :D
As I suspected, the pressure is no longer there. He can get back to his ability. It's a good morale booster. He'll be back in 4 years. In the interview afterwards he said he had nothing to lose so he went for it and nailed it. I'm very happy for him.
Agreed. I think we'll see him back at the Olympics in 4 years and he'll be better. I think the same thing happened with Evan Lysacek - he went to the Olympics, did really poorly in the short program, did really well in the long program, then came back 4 years later and won gold. I think Chen has that kind of ability.

I really hope Mirai Nagasu has a better long program. She won't beat the two Russians (holy cow, they're good) but there's a slim chance she could get bronze and that would be lovely for her.

I've been sick with the flu and haven't been watching any skating but yay Virtue and Moir got their second individual gold. They're so so good.