In memoriam 2018

WarBiscuit

Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:01 pm

[quote="Sparrow Castle"]Paul Espinosa Jr.‏ @BettorCallPaul
Russell Road has passed away, reportedly from colic. RIP to a West Virginia legend, and condolences to his connections.

Damn. Sorry to hear that. Like Ben's Cat, he was truly a local hero and sure had many followers over the years - including me.

RIP Russell Road. You left way too soon young man...

WarBiscuit
"One horse-laugh is worth ten thousand syllogisms. It is not only more effective; it is also vastly more intelligent." H.L. Mencken
hadrianmarcus

Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:11 pm

Losing Russell Road is like a punch in stomach for me. I've probably seen him run (and win) 10+ times. Everybody at
Charles Town loved that horse. The loudest cheer I ever heard at that track was his defeat of Lucy's Bob Boy at the
2015 Confucius Say Stakes on CT Classic Day. When he lead the post parade for the race named in his honor at the
2017 CT Classic Day....he was still the best looking horse on track that day. Such a cool personality and his people
really loved him and took care of him.
Prairie Bayou

Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:33 pm

hadrianmarcus wrote:Losing Russell Road is like a punch in stomach for me. I've probably seen him run (and win) 10+ times. Everybody at
Charles Town loved that horse. The loudest cheer I ever heard at that track was his defeat of Lucy's Bob Boy at the
2015 Confucius Say Stakes on CT Classic Day. When he lead the post parade for the race named in his honor at the
2017 CT Classic Day....he was still the best looking horse on track that day. Such a cool personality and his people
really loved him and took care of him.
Gut wrenching. I loved watching him. Being at the track when he ran was amazing. I remember his retirement celebration like it was yesterday.
"AND ALYSHEBA AMERICA'S HORSE HAS DONE IT!!!" ~ Tom Durkin 1988 Breeder's Cup Classic
Izvestia

Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:32 am

Aww, how sad. :(
RIP Russell Road
Wanderin Boy

Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:09 pm

RIP-RR
Miss Woodford

Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:09 pm

Russell Road was my favorite racehorse. He had so much heart. This is a real punch to the gut.
sweettalk

Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:41 pm

http://myemail.constantcontact.com/PRIV ... jm0HC-f4JI

Private Zone was euthanised. good start, 2018. really goin' for the 'worst year ever' award, aren't we.
Sparrow Castle

Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:20 pm

sweettalk wrote:http://myemail.constantcontact.com/PRIV ... jm0HC-f4JI

Private Zone was euthanised. good start, 2018. really goin' for the 'worst year ever' award, aren't we.
This really bums me out! Watched him run in California and win a stakes on the Derby undercard in 2015, got very fond of him. Rest in Peace, Private Zone.
BaroqueAgain1

Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:51 pm

Like the losses of Ben's Cat and Russell Road, PZ's death isn't just sad. It's terribly unfair.
These guys gave their all for years on the track, were given a well-earned retirement...and then passed away before they had much of a chance to really enjoy some golden years as just pasture pets.
Dammit. :evil:
Catalina

Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:53 pm

RIP, handsome boy. Condolences to his connections and all who loved him.
Psychotic Parakeet

Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:22 pm

Phantom On Tour
I wanna do bad things with you.
serenassong

Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:26 pm

Psychotic Parakeet wrote:Phantom On Tour
He was such a beautiful horse with all of that chrome.
R. I. P.
"I reject your reality, and substitute my own!"- Mythbusters
"Oh, What fresh Hell is this?!"- Sheldon Cooper(quoted from Dorothy Parker)- Big Bang Theory
"Sometimes I think he's the King of Stupid" - Old Man- Pawn Stars
Sparrow Castle

Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:50 pm

The Bloodhorse article:

TRF's Phantom on Tour Euthanized at 24
Phantom on Tour at TRF's facility at Blackburn Correctional Complex
Thoroughbred Retirement Foundation's Phantom on Tour, who starred as a living exhibit at the Kentucky Derby Museum for eight years, was euthanized Jan. 29 at the age of 24. He suffered from complications caused by equine protozoal myeloencephalitis (EPM), a neurological disease he was first diagnosed with in 2006.

"Phantom was always liked by every inmate that came into the Second Chances program; everyone always wanted to see the horse that had run in the Kentucky Derby," said Linda Dyer, farm manager at TRF's facility at Blackburn Correctional Complex.

"I would show them his race with everybody commenting on what a good racehorse he was. It helped show them what these retired racehorses are capable of as athletes. We kept him down at the barn in his own paddock and stall, so he led a very spoiled life. He loved to be groomed every day. His favorite thing to do was to rub his head on you. The inmates would sneak him so many mints I had to warn them about giving him too many," she said.

Phantom on Tour finished sixth to Silver Charm in the 1997 Kentucky Derby (G1), and he earned $724,065 in a career that included victories in the Rebel Stakes (G3) and the New Orleans Handicap (G3).

Sent to stud in 1998, the son of Tour d'Or proved to be infertile, he was then gelded and returned to racing. After three starts, a group of fans purchased him in 2001, and he was retired to TRF's Second Chances farm at Blackburn Correctional Facility near Lexington.

In March 2002 Phantom on Tour, on loan from the TRF, arrived at the Kentucky Derby Museum where he spent the next eight years. During his time at the museum, he served as the sport's ambassador to thousands of fans.

"Phantom was super personable and super cool," said Alison Knight, equine manager at the Kentucky Derby Museum. "I used to walk him down the sidewalk and right up to the Kentucky Derby Museum's front doors. He was a great ambassador for retired Thoroughbreds. Our guests loved getting to see him up close and to interact with such a great horse. He was one of my favorite resident Thoroughbreds here at the Museum."

Phantom on Tour retired from the Derby Museum in October 2010 and returned to TRF's Blackburn farm, where he helped teach inmates equine care as part of TRF's Second Chances vocational program.
More: https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... ized-at-24
Sparrow Castle

Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:53 pm

Innkeeper, son of Secretariat, dies at 30
Innkeeper, who was the final son of Secretariat standing in the United States, was euthanized on Feb. 2 following complications from colic. The 30-year-old stallion last stood as a sporthorse sire at Virginia Tech’s Middleburg Agricultural Research and Extension (MARE) Center in Middleburg, Va.

“He epitomized the diversity and greatness of the Thoroughbred breed,” Virginia Tech said in a statement about the stallion, whose barn name was ‘Howard.’

Secretariat, record-shattering winner of the 1973 Triple Crown, entered stud in 1974 at Claiborne Farm in Paris, Ky., and stood 16 seasons before being euthanized due to laminitis on Oct. 4, 1989. His final foals arrived in 1990. None of Secretariat’s runners replicated their sire’s feats on the racetrack, although they had a fair amount of success; the group was led by Horse of the Year Lady’s Secret, dual classic winner and champion Risen Star, and Canadian champion Medaille d’Or. Secretariat made his biggest impact through his daughters, appearing among America’s leading broodmare sires four times, including in 1992 when he led the nation. Stallions produced by his daughters included breed-shaping sires A.P. Indy and Storm Cat.

Secretariat’s final two active sons at stud were Innkeeper, whose story took several twists and turns before he arrived at the MARE Center; and Careless Secretary, who last stood at Sweetwater Stud in Bulgaria, dying in 2016.
More: http://www.drf.com/news/innkeeper-son-s ... at-dies-30
Sparrow Castle

Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:59 pm

AftertheFinishLine @AfterFinishLine
14h14 hours ago
So sad to hear that equine artist Fred Stone passed this evening. I adored Fred & enjoyed our conversations. Visiting him at his home was such a treat. He supported our non-profit w/ his art and was the guest speaker at one of our Gala's. Fred was a talented artist & a kind man.
Catalina

Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:47 pm

RIP, Mr. Stone. The world has lost a great artist and a kind heart.
stark

Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:29 pm

I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
Sparrow Castle

Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:19 pm

Shadwell Farm @ShadwellFarm
53m53 minutes ago
(1/2) It is with heavy hearts that we announce the passing of Cartier Champion and multiple Group 1 winner ALJABR. Born and raised at Shadwell Farm, he traveled the world, training in Dubai and earning victories in Europe’s Prix de la Salamandre, Sussex S. & Lockinge S. ...

54m54 minutes ago
(2/2) After standing at stud in both KY and Canada, ALJABR returned home to Shadwell Farm to live out his retirement years with our other pensioners in a peaceful, tranquil setting. Rest in peace, Aljabr. #ForeverAChampion

47m47 minutes ago
This picture of ALJABR was taken just last week and turned out to be the final photo captured of him. #ForeverAChampion #RestInPeace
Sparrow Castle

Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:32 pm

European champion Aljabr dies at 22
Aljabr, Europe’s champion 2-year-old male of 1998, died Tuesday of a heart attack at Shadwell Farm in Lexington, Ky. He was 22.

The son of Storm Cat had resided at Shadwell Farm as a pensioner since 2013, and he will be buried at the farm.

Bred in Kentucky by Shadwell, out of the French Group 1-winning Baillamong mare Sierra Madre, Aljabr raced for Sheikh Mohammed Al-Maktoum’s Godolphin operation and trainer Saeed bin Suroor.

Aljabr was undefeated in three starts as a juvenile, winning on debut in England by four lengths, then taking the Group 3 Vintage Stakes at Goodwood. He finished the season with a half-length score in the French Group 1 Prix de la Salamandre to clinch Europe’s champion 2-year-old colt honors.

He returned to England to begin his 3-year-old season, starting with a second in the Group 1 St. James’s Palace Stakes, followed by a win in the Group 1 Sussex Stakes, before traveling again for a fourth-place effort in the French Group 1 Prix du Moulin de Longchamp. At four, Aljabr won the English Group 1 Lockinge Stakes.
http://www.drf.com/news/european-champi ... br-dies-22
BaroqueAgain1

Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:28 pm

TVG just passed along the sad news that Jeter has died. I think they said he had signs of colic and reared over. Missed the rest of the sentence, but perhaps he injured himself fatally?
Hard-knocking gelding with a lot of back class. :(
Last edited by BaroqueAgain1 on Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.