The WAR HORSE Chronicles

User avatar
Miss Woodford
Posts: 1017
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:34 pm

Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:11 am

King of pacers Foiled Again got his 99th victory Saturday night at Yonkers in the first start of his 14yo season.
http://xwebapp.ustrotting.com/absoluten ... zoneid=118
A hard-fought race, he really showed his class. http://www.harnessracingupdate.com/race ... 32002YON4/
WarBiscuit
Posts: 1279
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:40 pm
Location: Mount Clemens, MI / Hawks Nest, WV

Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:36 am

[quote="WarBiscuit"]The day has arrived, and 10yo h Forest Mouse finds himself moved over to the War Horse thread. This Sunday he begins his 2018 campaign at Sunland Park entered in the Winsham Lad Handicap seeking his 4th consecutive win of this race. Save for the Zia Park Sprint in November, Forest Mouse had a fine 2017 and hopefully the aging legs can carry him safely through another season. Outside of his Southwest territory, he seems to be a very underappreciated horse. One of the very best of the hard-knockers, he'll be looking to hit that million dollar mark. Go get 'em, Mouse!

Winsham Lad H. - Sunland Park - Sunday, January 14th - $65,000 Purse - 1 Mile - Race 9 - 3:50 pm.

The Mouse finished 3rd.

WarBiscuit
"One horse-laugh is worth ten thousand syllogisms. It is not only more effective; it is also vastly more intelligent." H.L. Mencken
tachyon
Posts: 3489
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:52 pm

Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:01 pm

Bullet Liner(JPN) has been retired from racing.
He ran his final race on Jan 3rd at Mizusawa (7th of 7) with his lifetime record of 178-21-18-24.
He will be a riding horse at Baji Gakuin, a professional training college for the future horsemen/women, in Chiba Prefecture.
Happy retirement Bullet Liner!

Image
Bullet Liner
http://www.jbis.jp/horse/0000742700/

Higashi Kanto Baji Gakuin blog
https://ameblo.jp/shool-blog/
User avatar
Miss Woodford
Posts: 1017
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:34 pm

Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:52 pm

Isn't Bullet Liner still a stallion? Is he subfertile?
WarBiscuit
Posts: 1279
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:40 pm
Location: Mount Clemens, MI / Hawks Nest, WV

Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:19 pm

tachyon wrote:Bullet Liner(JPN) has been retired from racing.
He ran his final race on Jan 3rd at Mizusawa (7th of 7) with his lifetime record of 178-21-18-24.
He will be a riding horse at Baji Gakuin, a professional training college for the future horsemen/women, in Chiba Prefecture.
Happy retirement Bullet Liner!

Image
Bullet Liner
http://www.jbis.jp/horse/0000742700/

Higashi Kanto Baji Gakuin blog
https://ameblo.jp/shool-blog/
Thanks for this wonderful news, tachyon! Hopefully, we will be able to receive occasional updates on how he is doing. A War Horse for sure - a happy, healthy and long
retirement to Bullet Liner.

WarBiscuit
"One horse-laugh is worth ten thousand syllogisms. It is not only more effective; it is also vastly more intelligent." H.L. Mencken
User avatar
bare it all
Posts: 1096
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:21 pm

Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:42 pm

12 YO Renaldothewizard (g, 2006) finishes 3rd in the Dubawi stakes - a race he's wont he past 4 years and had raced in 5 times, now 6, total!! Total war horse. I've seen a few videos of him being unsaddled after the race and the crowd gives him a lovely round of applause. He looks a horse years younger and is definitely loving his job. Can't imagine this one would be happy in a field anywhere.
WarBiscuit
Posts: 1279
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:40 pm
Location: Mount Clemens, MI / Hawks Nest, WV

Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:34 pm

Recent Visitors to the Winners Circle:

10yo g Lagoon of Diamonds (Encosta de Lago - Nicole and Krista, by Machiavellian), 1st at Turfway Park (1/13/18). 63 - 13-12-10, $134,837. 3rd straight win.

10yo g Brave Julian (Brave Romane - Boston Heat, by Boston Harbor), 1st at Turf Paradise (1/13/18). 47 - 9-9-7, $72,493.

10yo g The Great Caper (Albert the Great - Cape Fog, by Cape Town), 1st at Turf Paradise (1/17/18). 49 - 12-6-8, $137,778. Stakes Placed.

10yo g Southern Sunrise (Dehere - Clochard, by Devil's Bag), 1st at Los Alamitos (1/19/18). 25 - 10-5-3, $119,940.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Placed: El Grande Rojo - 10g, Lizzy Lass - 10m, Watch My Smoke - 10g, Becky's Kitten - 11g, Moments Notiz - 10g,
Catfeinated - 11g, Loveintheshadows - 10m.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

3rd: Forever Sure - 10g, Cozy Bar - 10g, Bully Roll - 12g, Well's Gold - 10g, Bim Bam - 11h, Surf N Ski - 10g.


_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

10yo g Nextalast (Eurosilver), DNF in Race 7 at Turfway Park on 1/19. "Pulled Up. Vanned Off". News appreciated.

Added to the list of War Horses covered here that perished in 2017:

12yo g Peters Creek (Louis Quatorze - Gallaslass, by Gallapiat). Retired from racing in 2016, rescued by Exceller Racing Warrior program. Passed in 2017.

10yo g Thunderclap Newman (Thunder Gulch - Silent Siren, by Quiet American), died during training at Arapahoe Park (6/15/17). "Trauma in Gate, died" .

10yo m (QH) With Love Too, "Went Wrong After Wire", Turf Paradise (1/8/17).

11yo g Fortune Faded (Catienus), track pony at Aqueduct, and retired race horse.

10yo g Jules L, track pony at Belmont Park.

RIP

WarBiscuit
"One horse-laugh is worth ten thousand syllogisms. It is not only more effective; it is also vastly more intelligent." H.L. Mencken
User avatar
Miss Woodford
Posts: 1017
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:34 pm

Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:18 pm

Classic Wildcat made his 12yo (!) debut today at Laurel, jumping up in class to a $15k claimer. He finished 4th.
http://www.equibase.com/static/chart/pd ... 18USA7.pdf
User avatar
Northport
Posts: 2069
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:13 pm
Location: probably near the food

Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:01 pm

bare it all wrote:12 YO Renaldothewizard (g, 2006) finishes 3rd in the Dubawi stakes - a race he's wont he past 4 years and had raced in 5 times, now 6, total!! Total war horse. I've seen a few videos of him being unsaddled after the race and the crowd gives him a lovely round of applause. He looks a horse years younger and is definitely loving his job. Can't imagine this one would be happy in a field anywhere.
I love those old Dubai specialists, like Reynaldo and the now-retired Barbeque Eddie. Race 3 or 4 times during the Dubai World Cup Carnival, hit the board/win in a few stakes/handicaps with nice prizemoney. Rinse. Repeat. It's a real credit to the local conditioners.
weeeeeeeee
WaquoitNBroadBrush
Posts: 1105
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:22 am

Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:16 pm

WarBiscuit wrote:
10yo g Thunderclap Newman (Thunder Gulch - Silent Siren, by Quiet American), died during training at Arapahoe Park (6/15/17). "Trauma in Gate, died" .
Why would you be training a 10-year-old with 71 starts from the gate anyway? Don't most horses with that kind of experience skip the gate works and just use a brisk breeze or two to get ready for the next start?
User avatar
bare it all
Posts: 1096
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:21 pm

Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:09 pm

WaquoitNBroadBrush wrote:
WarBiscuit wrote:
10yo g Thunderclap Newman (Thunder Gulch - Silent Siren, by Quiet American), died during training at Arapahoe Park (6/15/17). "Trauma in Gate, died" .
Why would you be training a 10-year-old with 71 starts from the gate anyway? Don't most horses with that kind of experience skip the gate works and just use a brisk breeze or two to get ready for the next start?
His last race back in June '17 he had gate trouble. My guess is the stewards might have asked that he get a new gate card and/or the trainer was working on gate issues. Without having seen him, maybe he was always a bad gate horse.
WarBiscuit
Posts: 1279
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:40 pm
Location: Mount Clemens, MI / Hawks Nest, WV

Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:44 pm

bare it all wrote:
WaquoitNBroadBrush wrote:
WarBiscuit wrote:
10yo g Thunderclap Newman (Thunder Gulch - Silent Siren, by Quiet American), died during training at Arapahoe Park (6/15/17). "Trauma in Gate, died" .
Why would you be training a 10-year-old with 71 starts from the gate anyway? Don't most horses with that kind of experience skip the gate works and just use a brisk breeze or two to get ready for the next start?
His last race back in June '17 he had gate trouble. My guess is the stewards might have asked that he get a new gate card and/or the trainer was working on gate issues. Without having seen him, maybe he was always a bad gate horse.
Yeah, it's hard to tell exactly what was going on there. As definitive as the outcome was, those words - "trauma in gate, died" - are a bit cryptic. I'm wondering if he
severely injured himself in the gate and had to be euthanized, or if he panicked his way into a heart attack. Either way, he was in great distress, and a sad ending for an older racer.

WarBiscuit
"One horse-laugh is worth ten thousand syllogisms. It is not only more effective; it is also vastly more intelligent." H.L. Mencken
WarBiscuit
Posts: 1279
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:40 pm
Location: Mount Clemens, MI / Hawks Nest, WV

Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:21 pm

Recent Winners:

10yo r Sam Sparkle (Too Much Bling - La Carina, by Silver Deputy), 1st at Laurel Park (1/26/18). 67 - 9-11-16, $487,003. Stakes Winner.

10yo g Chaotic Bull (Holy Bull - Chaos, by Wild Again), 1st at Mahoning Valley (1/30/18). 66 - 14-10-14, $238,110.

10yo g Unitas (Sunday Break - Caught in the Dark, by Night Shift), 1st at Delta Downs (1/24/18). 75 - 14-12-9, $455,458. MSW.

10yo g City Sage (City Place - Mystical Susan, by French Deputy), 1st at Sunland Park (1/30/18). 61 - 14-16-10, $407,435. Stakes Winner.
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Placed: The Fourth Estate - 10g, War and Thunder - 10g, Lagoon of Diamonds - 10g, Dark Desire - 10m.
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

3rd: Bully Roll - 12g, Azote - 10g, Danzig Tera - 10m, Woodmans Luck - 10g, Crown King - 10g, Lizzy Lass - 10m.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

10yo h Forest Mouse is entered in an AOC race at Sunland Park on Tuesday, February 6th. Likely keeping limber for the Spring Handicap races at Sunland and Sunray Parks.

WarBiscuit
"One horse-laugh is worth ten thousand syllogisms. It is not only more effective; it is also vastly more intelligent." H.L. Mencken
WarBiscuit
Posts: 1279
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:40 pm
Location: Mount Clemens, MI / Hawks Nest, WV

Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:47 pm

12yo g Reynaldothewizard is entered in the Al Shindagha Sprint at Meydan this Thursday (2/8/18), and possibly headed to the Dubai Golden Shaheen on
March, 31st.

WarBiscuit
"One horse-laugh is worth ten thousand syllogisms. It is not only more effective; it is also vastly more intelligent." H.L. Mencken
User avatar
Sparrow Castle
Posts: 4877
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:44 pm

Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:02 am

WarBiscuit wrote:12yo g Reynaldothewizard is entered in the Al Shindagha Sprint at Meydan this Thursday (2/8/18), and possibly headed to the Dubai Golden Shaheen on
March, 31st.

WarBiscuit
Best of luck, ol' boy!

The Darling Of Meydan: 12-Year-Old Reynaldothewizard Still Going Strong
The most popular horse in the UAE is easily Reynaldothewizard. He has stood the test of time, quite literally, competing into his 12-year-old season in 2018; a feat unmatched at the Group-racing level. He has become the darling of Meydan racing fans, notably bringing the house to frenzy when winning the Dubawi Stakes for the third consecutive year in 2017 at the age of 11. A winner of the Dubai Golden Shaheen (G1) at age seven (2013), he holds a special place in the hearts of racing fans worldwide; year-after-year competing against the best sprinters on the planet and proving to be one of the most genuine athletes thoroughbred racing has seen. Satish Seemar's first G1 winner, he once again is training and competing well, defying convention and all possible odds.

“He holds a lot of importance to me,” Seemar said. “The other day (in the Dubawi), I was planning his retirement at about three furlongs out, but then he decided that he wanted to try to win the race. That's the way he is. He wants to race and is doing very well. When you have a horse racing at his age, he knows the drill and does it at his own pace. We are looking after his health, not forcing him to run and he is happy every day. You can have a 12-year-old race, but not running up to the top international level and that's very unique. He'll be special to me forever and has given me many great memories. We're looking forward to racing again on Thursday.”
More: https://www.paulickreport.com/news/thor ... ng-strong/
User avatar
Northport
Posts: 2069
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:13 pm
Location: probably near the food

Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:40 pm

Another good showing for Reynaldo, just got pipped by Comicas at the line and ended up 3rd in the G3 in the Al Shindagha Sprint. The race was unfortunately marred by Scrutineer breaking down in the home straight.

There's a lot of anger on Twitter, as this was Scrutineer's 7th race in 4 months, but not a lot of people are factoring that Emirati season only runs November-March.
weeeeeeeee
User avatar
Sparrow Castle
Posts: 4877
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:44 pm

Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:43 pm

Classic Wildcat finished 2nd beaten by 7 3/4 lengths, on February 9, 2018, at LAUREL PARK in Race 4.
Off odds: 4.00
Your comments for this horse were: 2006 Forest Wildcat - Affirmed Class, by Affirmed; Leatherbury
http://www.equibase.com/static/chart/pd ... 18USA4.pdf
Catalina
Posts: 3172
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:08 pm
Location: South Texas

Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:55 pm

Northport wrote:Another good showing for Reynaldo, just got pipped by Comicas at the line and ended up 3rd in the G3 in the Al Shindagha Sprint. The race was unfortunately marred by Scrutineer breaking down in the home straight.

There's a lot of anger on Twitter, as this was Scrutineer's 7th race in 4 months, but not a lot of people are factoring that Emirati season only runs November-March.
I don't quite understand your comment. What's there to factor in?

Raced Feb 8 ----- DNF
Raced Feb 3 ----- Won
Raced Jan 20-----7th
Raced Jan 4 -----2nd

Trainer A. Al Rayhi (same as Mushaakis earlier this week)
WarBiscuit
Posts: 1279
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:40 pm
Location: Mount Clemens, MI / Hawks Nest, WV

Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:58 pm

Visitors to the Winners Circle:

10yo g Top Prospect (Stormy Atlantic - Strike Me Lucky, by Smart Strike), 1st at Laurel Park (2/2/18). 61 - 9-14-13, $419,238. MSP. 3rd consecutive win.

10yo g Lucky Lotto (Pure Prize - Kirsche, by Defrere), 1st at Delta Downs (2/1/18). 61 - 13-13-11, $528,398. SP.

11yo g Small Town (Ecton park - Won Perfect Rose, by Air Forbes Won), 1st at Camarero (2/2/18). 140 - 23-24-18, $301,426.

11yo g Evening Concerto (Concerto - Almost Aprom Queen, by Montbrook), 1st at Turf Paradise (2/7/18). 126 - 21-15-26, $283, 639. SP.
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Placed: Catfeinated - 11g, Praetereo - 10g, Roarin Missile - 11g, Forever Sure - 10g, Cozy Bar - 10g, Smack Ridge - 10g,
Classic Wildcat - 12g, Forest Mouse - 10h.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

3rd: Reynaldothewizard - 12g, Carr Creek - 10g, Cactus Son - 10g, Bim Bam - 11h, My Charming Clyde - 11g,
Giselle Ma Belle - 10m.


WarBiscuit
"One horse-laugh is worth ten thousand syllogisms. It is not only more effective; it is also vastly more intelligent." H.L. Mencken
User avatar
Northport
Posts: 2069
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:13 pm
Location: probably near the food

Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:09 pm

Catalina wrote:
Northport wrote:Another good showing for Reynaldo, just got pipped by Comicas at the line and ended up 3rd in the G3 in the Al Shindagha Sprint. The race was unfortunately marred by Scrutineer breaking down in the home straight.

There's a lot of anger on Twitter, as this was Scrutineer's 7th race in 4 months, but not a lot of people are factoring that Emirati season only runs November-March.
I don't quite understand your comment. What's there to factor in?

Raced Feb 8 ----- DNF
Raced Feb 3 ----- Won
Raced Jan 20-----7th
Raced Jan 4 -----2nd

Trainer A. Al Rayhi (same as Mushaakis earlier this week)
The horses race 2-3 times a month during the racing season (whether they are trained by Al Rayhi, Doug Watson, Mike De Kock, etc.), then are off April-October. When all is said and done, at the end of a calendar year, I personally wouldn't count many of those horses as over raced.
weeeeeeeee
Post Reply