In memoriam 2017

Diver52

Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:31 am

It was reported on TVG via someone trackside. The pull-up looked bad. It seems even tougher when it's a "baby" who didn't have the chance to run and compete as his nature told him to.
I ran marathons. I saw the Taj Mahal by Moonlight. I drove Highway 1 in a convertible. I petted Zenyatta.
Catalina

Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:09 am

Diver52 wrote:Time in Motion, a $650,000 firster by Uncle Mo x Flirting with Fate, pulled up in the 7th (MSW) at Gulfstream and was reportedly euthanized. :( He was a half-brother to Dancing With Fate (or maybe it was Dances With Fate?) who suffered a fatal training injury to end a fine career. RIP youngster.
The half brother you are thinking of was Dance with Fate by Two Step Salsa. May they both RIP.
Last edited by Catalina on Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Katewerk

Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:37 pm

Favoured Speighgal (2014 f) at Gulfstream today in the Tropical Park Oaks.
firehorse

Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:04 am

Katewerk wrote:Favoured Speighgal (2014 f) at Gulfstream today in the Tropical Park Oaks.
How horrible, I was not at the track today but was reading the results on Bloodhorse and noticed Bernadiva, Speighal wasn't listed in the results. Good that I've seen this before watching the replay (now I'll skip it). That makes 1 death yesterday and 1 today at GP - I'm glad I haven't been there.
lurkey mclurker

Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:40 pm

Barbara Livingston video via DRF - tribute to some of the horses lost in 2017

http://www.drf.com/in-memoriam-2017
Life At Zen

Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:07 pm

mariasmon wrote:MG1W It's Tricky (dam of the promising Enticed) apparently died this year and produced a dead foal, as well.
I don't know how I missed this, and I only found out while watching Barbara Livingston's 2017 In Memoriam, so I am fairly crushed right now. She was a huge favourite of mine and I am surprised this didn't make any headlines whatsoever.
A R R O G A T E
Paradise Woods, Lady Eli, Songbird, Ziconic
Gormley, Royal Mo, Shaman Ghost, Constellation

Once upon a time there was a horse named Kelso.
But only once. ~Joe Hirsch
Flanders

Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:17 pm

Life At Zen wrote:
mariasmon wrote:MG1W It's Tricky (dam of the promising Enticed) apparently died this year and produced a dead foal, as well.
I don't know how I missed this, and I only found out while watching Barbara Livingston's 2017 In Memoriam, so I am fairly crushed right now. She was a huge favourite of mine and I am surprised this didn't make any headlines whatsoever.
I don't think they released the information and mariasmon found it when searching for either 2017 foals or who mares were bred to for 2018.
serenassong

Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:56 pm

Wow- Red Scamper- was just talking about him the other day. I used to win money on him and Iron Gavel on the Nyra circuit when they were running

R. I. P all
"I reject your reality, and substitute my own!"- Mythbusters
"Oh, What fresh Hell is this?!"- Sheldon Cooper(quoted from Dorothy Parker)- Big Bang Theory
"Sometimes I think he's the King of Stupid" - Old Man- Pawn Stars
mariasmon

Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:02 pm

Flanders wrote:
Life At Zen wrote:
I don't think they released the information and mariasmon found it when searching for either 2017 foals or who mares were bred to for 2018.
Pretty much. Someone on another forum asked me about her specifically after Enticed won the Kentucky Jockey Club and I found the info then.
TapitsGal

Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:36 am

Easily the most gut wrenching part of the slideshow was seeing Bens Cat and Effinex...was like reliving the news they passed all over again. And also the babies..
Sparrow Castle

Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:32 pm

Most of these horses died in 2017. They are still dying and probably future lists should go in the 2018 thread.

Shelley Blodgett @ShelleyBlodgett
2m2 minutes ago
Names of 56 TB horses died in PR since Maria. Missing 50+ more horse names that died in backstretch stalls. 105 days of wet, muck, neglect is taking toll. Barns aren't repaired & death/killing rate rising significantly, yet they're in States now buying more horses 2 import 2 race :cry: @CaribbeanOTTB
WarBiscuit

Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:29 pm

Sparrow Castle wrote:Most of these horses died in 2017. They are still dying and probably future lists should go in the 2018 thread.

2m2 minutes ago
Names of 56 TB horses died in PR since Maria. Missing 50+ more horse names that died in backstretch stalls. 105 days of wet, muck, neglect is taking toll. Barns aren't repaired & death/killing rate rising significantly, yet they're in States now buying more horses 2 import 2 race :cry: @CaribbeanOTTB
I am fearful that more familiar names are going to show up on that list. I keep a close watch on the Camarero entries hoping for some of the missing ancient War Horses to show up, and it's not because I want to see them continue to race, but rather a relief to know that they are still alive. Several have resurfaced in the new year, but I am very concerned about a number of them that appear to be missing - in particular, a few older mares - 13yo Worthy of Wings who has 133 starts behind her, 12yo Princesa Dorada with 123 starts, and 12yo La Comeriena , with 138 starts. There are others, as well. I do understand that they need to race in order to generate much needed money, but something at Camarero is just not sitting well with me at the moment...

WarBiscuit
"One horse-laugh is worth ten thousand syllogisms. It is not only more effective; it is also vastly more intelligent." H.L. Mencken
Sparrow Castle

Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:01 pm

WarBiscuit wrote:
Sparrow Castle wrote:Most of these horses died in 2017. They are still dying and probably future lists should go in the 2018 thread.

2m2 minutes ago
I am fearful that more familiar names are going to show up on that list. I keep a close watch on the Camarero entries hoping for some of the missing ancient War Horses to show up, and it's not because I want to see them continue to race, but rather a relief to know that they are still alive. Several have resurfaced in the new year, but I am very concerned about a number of them that appear to be missing - in particular, a few older mares - 13yo Worthy of Wings who has 133 starts behind her, 12yo Princesa Dorada with 123 starts, and 12yo La Comeriena , with 138 starts. There are others, as well. I do understand that they need to race in order to generate much needed money, but something at Camarero is just not sitting well with me at the moment...

WarBiscuit
That's how I feel too. I want to see them show up in the entries so I know they are still alive, but that's no guarantee they are out of danger.

Camarero has to make repairs to the barns. They make excuses that they are waiting for insurance money, but that is absurd. They started racing again before meeting the basic needs of the horses. Of course some of them can't perform well when they are standing in muck and not being cared for.

This made me too sad to post originally, but they need to be exposed for what's going on there. Carrio raced in the same race as Go Black Tie (who finished 3rd). It just breaks my heart.
http://www.equibase.com/static/chart/pd ... 317PR5.pdf

Estimate well over 100 horses that survived Hurricane Maria at PR racetrack have died since (euthanized & died in stalls) due 2 colic, founder, infection, injury, neglect.... That's >10% of ~ 900 TBs reported 2 b on backstretch during Maria. Many deaths believed 2 b preventable!

Shelley Blodgett‏ @ShelleyBlodgett
Same list, Alphabetical. Barns NOT fixed & conditions poor; some connections deciding NOT 2 do what's right if horse de-conditioned, ill, depleted, opting 2 neglect or euthanize. Non Facile & Que Problema raced Dec 23 & Carrio raced Dec 25. All raced safely, yet euth days-week after.
Sparrow Castle

Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:02 pm

More Shelley Blodgett Retweeted Shelley Blodgett
3-month moratorium on racing in PR post-hurricane exasterbated long-standing tensions between track owners & horsemen. There is escalated tensions abt purses & other $ issues. Both sides are focused on $, & fears are owners, trainers, grooms will get lower % purse or less $...1/2

2/2 there r lawsuits & counter-lawsuits being pursued; meanwhile, ~4 horses day r dying now! Horse welfare should be priority. They are backbone of Racing & make industry possible, but mostly b/c they are living, sentiment beings. 0 excuse many horses still in unsafe, often wet/mucky stalls
BaroqueAgain1

Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:12 pm

Merciful Goddess...that sounds like the owners there have just written those horses off as losses...and don't want to spend a dime to keep them alive, let alone bring them back to health. :(
'Let the old horses die, buy younger ones for racing' seems to be their business plan. :evil:
Diver52

Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:05 am

It's the same as people bringing in an old dog to a shelter and asking if there are any puppies. :( But realistically, these owners are probably operating on razor thin margins at the best of times. They need animals who can race now.
I ran marathons. I saw the Taj Mahal by Moonlight. I drove Highway 1 in a convertible. I petted Zenyatta.
Ziggypop

Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:17 pm

Diver52 wrote:It's the same as people bringing in an old dog to a shelter and asking if there are any puppies. :( But realistically, these owners are probably operating on razor thin margins at the best of times. They need animals who can race now.
No excuse for allowing their horses to wallow in abuse. None.
RuffiantoRags

Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:07 pm

Pure ignorance and lack of responsibility. These owners should never be able to own a racehorse again!
firehorse

Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:44 pm

Poor Unstoppable U. While they're are all sad, this one really frosts me:

Starts: 45
Firsts: 13
Seconds: 7
Thirds: 3
Earnings: $375,202

Ran in the Belmont, a stakes winner, then down the claiming ranks to Finger Lakes then Camarero. It's everything I hate about racing that keeps nudging me away from the track.
genuinerizk

Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:29 am

I'm not understanding why this is still happening- where is the industry support and rallying and fundraising for these horses like there is/ was for the SLR fire victims?? Is it because, for the most part, these are US racing industry cast offs that are beyond the usefulness for the connections that exiled them to PR in the first place? Sad, sad state of affairs that represent the ugly truth of the life of a cast off racehorse.