Cancellations - 2017

User avatar
Miss Woodford
Posts: 1010
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:34 pm

Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:20 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:Gulfstream is cancelling racing Thursday through Sunday, because Hurricane.
https://www.paulickreport.com/horseplay ... cane-irma/
“Horsemen are being given the option to keep their horses at Gulfstream, Gulfstream Park West or move to our training facility at Palm Meadows in Palm Beach."

:shock: So...which facility has the highest elevation and the sturdiest stables?
With the hurricane's path looking like it will make landfall right on top of Miami, and the size of it enough to damage most of south Florida, I'm hoping the horsemen and their charges will evacuate. There is no way any of those facilities can withstand a Category 5 impact.

Florida has in fact suspended the interstate movement requirements for livestock to encourage speedy evacuation.
https://www.ftboa.com/FTBContent/Articl ... 9-5-17.pdf
Hopefully there are facilities in neighboring states willing/able to take this many horses.
User avatar
Insane Crazy
Posts: 3028
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:26 pm

Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:33 pm

Miss Woodford wrote:
BaroqueAgain1 wrote:Gulfstream is cancelling racing Thursday through Sunday, because Hurricane.
https://www.paulickreport.com/horseplay ... cane-irma/
“Horsemen are being given the option to keep their horses at Gulfstream, Gulfstream Park West or move to our training facility at Palm Meadows in Palm Beach."

:shock: So...which facility has the highest elevation and the sturdiest stables?
With the hurricane's path looking like it will make landfall right on top of Miami, and the size of it enough to damage most of south Florida, I'm hoping the horsemen and their charges will evacuate. There is no way any of those facilities can withstand a Category 5 impact.

Florida has in fact suspended the interstate movement requirements for livestock to encourage speedy evacuation.
https://www.ftboa.com/FTBContent/Articl ... 9-5-17.pdf
Hopefully there are facilities in neighboring states willing/able to take this many horses.
I've seen quite a few posts circulating on FB for basically every major showgrounds/arena/facility in GA, at least, opening as many stalls as they can. Oof. Wild stuff.
Not a wholesome trottin' race, no, but a race where they sit down right on the horse!
Like to see some stuck-up jockey boy sittin' on Dan Patch? Make your blood boil? Well, I should say!
User avatar
serenassong
Posts: 4696
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:36 pm
Location: Connecticut

Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:29 pm

Has not been reported on Equibase- but according to their website- Turfway Park has called off the card for tonight due to the low temps. If its anything like it is here- good call

Penn has also called the card off for tonight
"I reject your reality, and substitute my own!"- Mythbusters
"Oh, What fresh Hell is this?!"- Sheldon Cooper(quoted from Dorothy Parker)- Big Bang Theory
"Sometimes I think he's the King of Stupid" - Old Man- Pawn Stars
PJMIII
Posts: 9550
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:12 am

Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:39 am

Racing Canceled at Aqueduct

NYRA cancels Dec. 28 program.

https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... t-aqueduct

-----
User avatar
serenassong
Posts: 4696
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:36 pm
Location: Connecticut

Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:46 am

PJMIII wrote:Racing Canceled at Aqueduct

NYRA cancels Dec. 28 program.

https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... t-aqueduct

-----
Wouldnt surprise me to see Turfway or Penn call it again - but nothing on their sites as of right now
"I reject your reality, and substitute my own!"- Mythbusters
"Oh, What fresh Hell is this?!"- Sheldon Cooper(quoted from Dorothy Parker)- Big Bang Theory
"Sometimes I think he's the King of Stupid" - Old Man- Pawn Stars
WaquoitNBroadBrush
Posts: 1102
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:22 am

Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:22 pm

Looks like a rough go for all the northern tracks right through the middle of next week, at least.
User avatar
serenassong
Posts: 4696
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:36 pm
Location: Connecticut

Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:45 pm

WaquoitNBroadBrush wrote:Looks like a rough go for all the northern tracks right through the middle of next week, at least.
Yeah- Saturday we are supposed to have a high of 24 and no real relief in site.
"I reject your reality, and substitute my own!"- Mythbusters
"Oh, What fresh Hell is this?!"- Sheldon Cooper(quoted from Dorothy Parker)- Big Bang Theory
"Sometimes I think he's the King of Stupid" - Old Man- Pawn Stars
Somnambulist
Posts: 7382
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:59 pm

Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:53 pm

Better this weather ANY DAY over summer weather with 100% humidity.
"Life's no piece of cake, mind you, but the recipe's my own to fool with."
User avatar
serenassong
Posts: 4696
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:36 pm
Location: Connecticut

Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:19 pm

Just saw that Hawthorne has scrapped the Dec 30th card- says "weather"- because of "Freezing-the-hiney-off" syndrome.
"I reject your reality, and substitute my own!"- Mythbusters
"Oh, What fresh Hell is this?!"- Sheldon Cooper(quoted from Dorothy Parker)- Big Bang Theory
"Sometimes I think he's the King of Stupid" - Old Man- Pawn Stars
BaroqueAgain1
Posts: 9719
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:16 pm

Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:11 pm

Aqueduct has just cancelled the rest of today's card.
Add Turfway.
Below Zero Forecast Forces Cancellation Of Saturday’s Card At Turfway
https://www.paulickreport.com/horseplay ... d-turfway/
:shock:
BaroqueAgain1
Posts: 9719
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:16 pm

Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:30 pm

Now Laurel has cancelled the rest of its card. :(
stark
Posts: 4021
Joined: Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:55 am
Location: SoCal

Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:32 pm

Andy Serling
‏@andyserling

We have cancelled racing at #Aqueduct both today and Monday, New Year’s Day.
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
User avatar
serenassong
Posts: 4696
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:36 pm
Location: Connecticut

Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:13 pm

Turfway has called off the card today
"I reject your reality, and substitute my own!"- Mythbusters
"Oh, What fresh Hell is this?!"- Sheldon Cooper(quoted from Dorothy Parker)- Big Bang Theory
"Sometimes I think he's the King of Stupid" - Old Man- Pawn Stars
stark
Posts: 4021
Joined: Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:55 am
Location: SoCal

Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:13 pm

stark wrote:Andy Serling
‏@andyserling

We have cancelled racing at #Aqueduct both today and Monday, New Year’s Day.
Add Laurel, Parx and Turfway to the cancellations today.

Santa Anita pots should be juicy if the east coast can find a place to bet at.
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
BaroqueAgain1
Posts: 9719
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:16 pm

Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:03 pm

Parx has canceled for Monday, as well.
https://www.paulickreport.com/horseplay ... -saturday/
Forry Cow How
Posts: 95
Joined: Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:52 am

Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:51 am

NYRA has cancelled through the weekend. Expects to race again on Thursday, January 11, 2018. Per Dave Grening.
WaquoitNBroadBrush
Posts: 1102
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:22 am

Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:18 am

Forry Cow How wrote:NYRA has cancelled through the weekend. Expects to race again on Thursday, January 11, 2018. Per Dave Grening.
Mahoning Valley has been running in 10- to 15-degree temperatures through this long cold spell. Why is 10 degrees OK with their jocks, while 20 degrees is cold enough to keep Eastern tracks shut down? Do jocks in Ohio need every chance to earn purse money more than NY, PA and MD jocks do?

Side note: I was playing MVR via simulcast last week and saw three track records broken in the first four races. Just a few days earlier, in milder weather, horses were struggling to get 6 furlongs in under 1:18, which I attributed to MVR's deep, winter-engineered surface. Did it freeze or was the track scraped for some reason?
Somnambulist
Posts: 7382
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:59 pm

Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:56 am

WaquoitNBroadBrush wrote:
Forry Cow How wrote:NYRA has cancelled through the weekend. Expects to race again on Thursday, January 11, 2018. Per Dave Grening.
Mahoning Valley has been running in 10- to 15-degree temperatures through this long cold spell. Why is 10 degrees OK with their jocks, while 20 degrees is cold enough to keep Eastern tracks shut down? Do jocks in Ohio need every chance to earn purse money more than NY, PA and MD jocks do?
I really, really hate this argument. I mean you do understand Aqueduct is literally a stone's throw from a large body of water? When was the last time you got on a horse in single digit weather after a blizzard?

If a bunch of people who starve themselves to make weight think it's unsafe to ride, then it probably is..
"Life's no piece of cake, mind you, but the recipe's my own to fool with."
BaroqueAgain1
Posts: 9719
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:16 pm

Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:24 pm

Meadowlands has cancelled racing for Friday and Saturday.
https://www.paulickreport.com/horseplay ... ulcasting/
You know the weather is dangerously bad when the tough Standardbreds and their drivers stay in the barn. :shock:
ETA: Regarding Aqueduct; I would guess that it's not just the riders who get to weigh in on racing conditions. Outriders, gate crew and emergency personnel all have to be out in that weather. And let's not forget the people who come to watch. Would anyone even come out to Aqueduct in blizzard conditions?
Som can probably weigh in on this, but isn't it kind of iffy getting to Aqueduct on the local trains in this sort of weather? Aqueduct may have decided that it was too dangerous for both track personnel and spectators to come to the track.
I can't guess why Mahoning is still running in their weather, but maybe the fact that it's a lower-level track means they're operating with a much slimmer budget...and need to run their card?
Catalina
Posts: 3162
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:08 pm
Location: South Texas

Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:11 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:Meadowlands has cancelled racing for Friday and Saturday.
https://www.paulickreport.com/horseplay ... ulcasting/
You know the weather is dangerously bad when the tough Standardbreds and their drivers stay in the barn. :shock:
ETA: Regarding Aqueduct; I would guess that it's not just the riders who get to weigh in on racing conditions. Outriders, gate crew and emergency personnel all have to be out in that weather. And let's not forget the people who come to watch. Would anyone even come out to Aqueduct in blizzard conditions?
Som can probably weigh in on this, but isn't it kind of iffy getting to Aqueduct on the local trains in this sort of weather? Aqueduct may have decided that it was too dangerous for both track personnel and spectators to come to the track.
I can't guess why Mahoning is still running in their weather, but maybe the fact that it's a lower-level track means they're operating with a much slimmer budget...and need to run their card?
I would think that some tracks may have to cancel for longer than just through this weekend.
Post Reply