Fire at San Luis Rey!?

Re: Fire at San Luis Rey!?

Postby bare it all » Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:28 pm

Scott Hansen lost a whole barn full...nothing a world beater but nice horses that brought home a few checks all the same. Looks like most owned by Gary Broad. What an absolute gut check.
bare it all

Postby Catalina » Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:25 pm

bare it all wrote:Scott Hansen lost a whole barn full...nothing a world beater but nice horses that brought home a few checks all the same. Looks like most owned by Gary Broad. What an absolute gut check.

As, I am sure, we all wish the decision to let them run loose had come minutes earlier.
Catalina

Postby barbaro111 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:53 pm

stark wrote:HORSES LOST IN LILAC FIRE IDENTIFIED
http://www.chrb.ca.gov/press_releases/2 ... elease.pdf

Reading the list of deceased horses fills me with immense sadness and makes those losses all so real
barbaro111

Postby Sparrow Castle » Fri Dec 22, 2017 5:00 pm

Yes, seeing the names makes it very final...a good thing for at least some of us. Still hard to believe California Diamond was among them.

A story could be told about all of them I'm sure, but just to say a bit about Los Borrachos. A 2011 son of Pulpit-Champagne Taste, he was a hard-knocking $32k claimer that Miller had just claimed for Rockingham. He won a couple of races at Del Mar this summer and had been claimed several times since. 36-6-6-6, $318,377, Earnings Per Start: $8,844. The kind of horse many would love to have in the barn.

Peter Miller said he still has seven horses in the equine hospital at San Luis Rey with burns and injuries. I so hope all the wounded, equine and human, recover well and return to doing what they love.

I'm going to copy the names here so they might come up in a Search.

Horses known or believed to have perished in the Dec. 7 Lilac fire listed by trainer:

Herman Ackerson
Handsome Beau

Martine Bellocq
Royal Kuna
Wild Bill Hickory

Phil D'Amato
Oddsmaker
Riri

Daniel Dunham
Packin Heat
Sir Charmalot

Scott Hansen
Monster Man
Oughttobeking
Puig
Stormin Norman
Aussie Rock Star (Ire)
Baby Bruin
Chrysaor
Dodgertown
Fregosi
He's a Pleasure
Malibu Vixen
Mr. Hockey
Rocknrollallnight
Sunset Grill
Potent
Cat Dreamer (pony)

Joe Herrick
Call Me First
Everlovin Woman
Only One Love
Ourroseofthenile
Ral Rue
Sarah Sunshine

Juan C. Lopez
Fast Freddie
Yrlg. colt, Slew’s Tiznow-Chalula One

Peter Miller
Amalfi Drive
California Diamond
Doc Raj
Lizmeister
Los Borrachos

Kimberly Schaffer-Marrs
Shortstormcoming

Clifford Sise
Candy Twist
Scat Home Lady
Colt City Zip-Sweet Thoughts
Colt Quality Road-Cool Flame
Filly Into Mischief-Warm Hugs

Les Baker (outrider)
Paint pony (name not known)

Unknown horses
http://www.drf.com/news/chrb-identifies-horses-killed-san-luis-rey-fire
Sparrow Castle

Postby Sparrow Castle » Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:52 pm

More info about the fundraiser. This looks like some of the money raised will be used to help pay for the medical expenses of the horses who were burned or suffered other injuries. I sure hope so anyway. Some owners will have a hard time absorbing the cost, and some of these horses may not be able to return to racing.

Elvis Costello, Burt Bacharach to Play Belly Up Fundraiser for Fire Victims
Instead of 'wishin' and hopin' that aid comes to those affected by the recent Lilac Fire, Grammy Award-winning composer/songwriter/singer Burt Bacharach is taking matters into his own hands.

On Jan. 17, 2018, Bacharach will team with fellow Grammy-winning rock icon Elvis Costello, along with some other celebrity friends, to host a fundraiser at the Belly Up billed as "An Evening of Music To Support the Victims of the Fire at San Luis Rey Downs Training Center."

All proceeds from the event will be equally split between the California Thoroughbred Horsemen's Foundation and the California Retirement Management Account. According to the DMTC press release, "funds generated during the evening will be used for people such as the trainers, grooms and stable help who helped at San Luis Rey and were displaced by the fire," and added that "funds raised from the evening will be used specifically for the ongoing aid and care of the horses impacted by the fire that day."

https://www.nbcsandiego.com/blogs/sounddiego/Burt-Bacharach-Elvis-Costello-to-Headline-Belly-Up-Fundraiser-465737773.html
Sparrow Castle

Postby BaroqueAgain1 » Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:31 am

"...and some of these horses may not be able to return to racing. "

It seems likely that any horse who suffered burns, especially around the head and neck, would also have inhaled hot smoke and gases during the fire. Hard to imagine their lungs will ever completely heal, or at least enough to handle the rigors of racing.
If none of them end up with pneumonia, I would be very thankful.
BaroqueAgain1

Postby Sparrow Castle » Sat Dec 23, 2017 2:41 am

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:"...and some of these horses may not be able to return to racing. "

It seems likely that any horse who suffered burns, especially around the head and neck, would also have inhaled hot smoke and gases during the fire. Hard to imagine their lungs will ever completely heal, or at least enough to handle the rigors of racing.
If none of them end up with pneumonia, I would be very thankful.

I know there's more than a few who will need new careers. Glad to see there may be help for that, and hoping for the best long-term.
Sparrow Castle

Postby katmandu » Sat Dec 23, 2017 3:21 am

Sparrow Castle wrote:A story could be told about all of them I'm sure, but just to say a bit about Los Borrachos. A 2011 son of Pulpit-Champagne Taste, he was a hard-knocking $32k claimer that Miller had just claimed for Rockingham. He won a couple of races at Del Mar this summer and had been claimed several times since. 36-6-6-6, $318,377, Earnings Per Start: $8,844. The kind of horse many would love to have in the barn.

Los Borrachos was second to Heart to Heart in the Better Talk Now at Saratoga in 2014. He was followed by Pure Sensation. . . keeping pretty good company in those days.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lK9t8xmkOb8

RIP Los Borrachos
katmandu

Postby Sparrow Castle » Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:06 pm

TVG‏Verified account @TVG
The Southern CA racing community suffered a tragedy of monumental proportion this month as the #LilacFire ripped through San Luis Rey Downs Training Facility. We take a moment to honor the #SanLuisRey heroes who together saved more than 400 horses & remember those who were lost.

https://twitter.com/TVG/status/945792416266600448
Sparrow Castle

Postby Ridan_Remembered » Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:40 am

Sparrow Castle wrote:TVG‏Verified account @TVG
The Southern CA racing community suffered a tragedy of monumental proportion this month as the #LilacFire ripped through San Luis Rey Downs Training Facility. We take a moment to honor the #SanLuisRey heroes who together saved more than 400 horses & remember those who were lost.

https://twitter.com/TVG/status/945792416266600448

Still much too hard to take in without tears and heartache. I see one owner lost a lot of horses. How do you pick yourself up after something like that? Two days after this fire, on Dec. 9, I had to put my beloved little cat down. She had cardiomyopathy and there's really no practical way to treat that in a cat. I know that in the great scheme of things, she was just a little 11-year-old cat. But to me, she was a dear, dear friend who I bottle fed and hand raised after rescuing her at about 3 days old. I know how much I hurt having to put her down and how much I miss her, so the though of losing multiple horses all at once in that fire is too horrible to fully take in.

My heart goes out to everyone who was injured and/or lost horses, and the backstretch workers who might have lost everything they own. I donated, but somehow it's not enough.
Ridan_Remembered

PreviousNext

Return to Racing