Pegasus World Cup Invitational - 1/27/18

Re: Pegasus World Cup Invitational - 1/27/18

Postby Curtis » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:33 pm

Somnambulist wrote:
thinair wrote:Being that only four spots have actually been sold to this supposed race, I think if any of us had a million bucks, we could run any horse we chose to enter.

I get there is an infinity of time between now and this race, but why is everyone just ignoring this part? I never see it brought up.

Some jokes are over people’s heads? I see that Fipke is now wavering about entering both his horses. Seems he wants a package deal at a discounted rate. I can’t blame him a bit. The idea of this race only works if the contention runs deep enough that you’re not entering a bomber to turn 1M into 650K in less than two minutes. I think you’d get the same field for a 2M purse or better yet the 4M that Stronach is putting up anyway.
Curtis

Postby Ballerina » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:32 pm

Quick math based on $12 million % breakdown from last year's race and if they keep the same % this year, shows winner walking away with $9,500,000, 2nd place $2,400,000, 3rd place 1,280,000 and the rest of the field dividing up the difference of what's left over - something like $313,000. A lot of pressure on jockeys to make good on owner's $1 million investment.
Ballerina

Postby thinair » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:47 pm

Ballerina wrote:Quick math based on $12 million % breakdown from last year's race and if they keep the same % this year, shows winner walking away with $9,500,000, 2nd place $2,400,000, 3rd place 1,280,000 and the rest of the field dividing up the difference of what's left over - something like $313,000. A lot of pressure on jockeys to make good on owner's $1 million investment.

Every starter gets at least $650K back, so this is completely inaccurate.
thinair

Postby stark » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:13 pm

IMHO common folk shouldn't be so obsessed with the entry fees and what the monetary rewards mean for the connections. Rather, I think that 99% of the connections are simply after the prestige, they want to be photographed holding a trophy overhead from one of the premier events in the racing world.

What's next, are you going to scrutinize supplemental entry fees in stakes races?

How about diagnosing the money changing hands mano y mano in Dubai where no gambling is allowed, lol.

If you've got a jockey who is nervous about protecting entry fees, then you've got the wrong jockey.

Forget about the money aspect of entering this contest, as we've seen from Mattress Mac's millions of dollars in donations to the needy in recent months, to BWayne Hughes listing on the Forbes richest men in the world, to etc etc etc, a million dollars is usually lost in rounding when discussing these people's wealth, if they thought they could win it, they'd be in it.

Just worry about handicapping their horses, that's enough of a headache, there's no need to try balancing their checkbook too.
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
stark

Postby Ballerina » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:22 pm

thinair wrote:
Ballerina wrote:Quick math based on $12 million % breakdown from last year's race and if they keep the same % this year, shows winner walking away with $9,500,000, 2nd place $2,400,000, 3rd place 1,280,000 and the rest of the field dividing up the difference of what's left over - something like $313,000. A lot of pressure on jockeys to make good on owner's $1 million investment.

Every starter gets at least $650K back, so this is completely inaccurate.

Hummm - why not just charge $350K to begin with?!~ Just going by info on last year's race re distribution of purse. http://www.equibase.com/premium/eqbPDFC ... &STYLE=EQB
Ballerina

Postby thinair » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:29 pm

Ballerina wrote:
Hummm - why not just charge $350K to begin with?!~

That's an excellent question.

If they were honest about it, they couldn't pretend this is a $16 million race ( it's not....it's a $4 million dollar race with added money from entry fees, which is essentially $4.2 million if 12 horses enter ). The problem is that nobody in the press writes about it in a responsible manner.

The Jockey Club needs to step up, IMO, and say we are not counting "earnings" of $650K for all the also-rans, as in actuality they are losses of $350K. What's to stop CDI from saying it's $25 million to enter in the Derby, with every starter getting at least $24.9 million in return, and declaring it a $500 Million race? Would the Jockey Club then recognize 20 horses as having earned at least $24.9 million? The only difference is the size of the numbers. The concept is exactly the same.
thinair

Postby Ballerina » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:32 pm

[quote="stark"
Just worry about handicapping their horses, that's enough of a headache, there's no need to try balancing their checkbook too.[/quote]

Horse players are always looking for a return on investment. Horse owners don't have the same mindset? It matters not to me what they choose to do with their money. I was just making an observation.
Ballerina

Postby stark » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:40 pm

Actually I don't think most owners at the highest levels in the sport are looking to make money from it, they've got other avenues of revenue to depend on. It's sport for them, bragging rights, the biggest boat in the docks. Oh sure, they care about the bottom line, they're not stupid, but they're not in it for money, they've already got that. Don't confuse hobbies with careers.

And yes I realize that there are some whose entire life revolves around the horse, from breeding to racing to breeding to racing, but for every one of those folks I can name ten who made there money elsewhere and are not dependent on income from their hobbies.
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
stark

Postby Ballerina » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:41 pm

thinair wrote:
Ballerina wrote:
Hummm - why not just charge $350K to begin with?!~

That's an excellent question.

If they were honest about it, they couldn't pretend this is a $16 million race ( it's not....it's a $4 million dollar race with added money from entry fees, which is essentially $4.2 million if 12 horses enter ). The problem is that nobody in the press writes about it in a responsible manner.

The Jockey Club needs to step up, IMO, and say we are not counting "earnings" of $650K for all the also-rans, as in actuality they are losses of $350K. What's to stop CDI from saying it's $25 million to enter in the Derby, with every starter getting at least $24.9 million in return, and declaring it a $500 Million race? Would the Jockey Club then recognize 20 horses as having earned at least $24.9 million? The only difference is the size of the numbers. The concept is exactly the same.

So then the purse distribution outlined in the link I provided is bogus? How dey do dat?
Ballerina

Postby thinair » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:58 pm

Ballerina wrote:
So then the purse distribution outlined in the link I provided is bogus? How dey do dat?

I couldn't see any purse distribution in that link.
thinair

PreviousNext

Return to Racing