Matings 2018

Re: Matings 2018

Postby Treve » Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:16 pm

Ballerina wrote:
Treve wrote:Not like Curlin who is as crooked as his mama.

Curlin had a wonky ankle as a youngster due to a calcium deposit plus he was bowing out at the knee and his head looked like it belonged on another horse. He just wasn't very attractive as a youngster. But he outgrew most of it. He now has a handsome head and a beautiful shoulder. In short, he's a drop dead handsome horse. If there is some perceived unsoundness in his front legs, it sure didn't hurt his chances running. He's one of the soundest horses in the business and unless he is passing on the knee problem to his get, I think it means no never mind.

I don't know if that is what affected Jess's Dream's career but I do recall seeing pics of him and noticing he'd gotten Curlin's legs. Curlin certainly gets runners, and I was actually very surprised the first time I saw a confo shot of Curlin. I think he's a helluva horse from the chest up, and so I really don't have any problem with the idea of mating him to most mares as long as they have clean legs to increase chances the offspring won't be affected. Whether his legs didn't bother him at all, or he performed in spite of them, certainly shows the caliber of race horse he was.
A filly named Ruffian...

Eine Stute namens Danedream...

Une pouliche se nommant Trêve...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

And a Queen named Beholder
Treve

Postby Ballerina » Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:41 pm

mariasmon wrote:The only thing I really don't like about Curlin is that he's quite short-legged for such a strapping body.

Maybe his legs were the right length - just too much body. I'd hate to see him any taller than his already 16.2 height.
Ballerina

Postby Ballerina » Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:42 pm

Treve wrote:I don't know if that is what affected Jess's Dream's career but I do recall seeing pics of him and noticing he'd gotten Curlin's legs. Curlin certainly gets runners, and I was actually very surprised the first time I saw a confo shot of Curlin. I think he's a helluva horse from the chest up, and so I really don't have any problem with the idea of mating him to most mares as long as they have clean legs to increase chances the offspring won't be affected. Whether his legs didn't bother him at all, or he performed in spite of them, certainly shows the caliber of race horse he was.

Some photo's of Jess's Dream's underpinnings

Ballerina

Postby BaroqueAgain1 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:18 pm

Am I correct in thinking that those are some long, lumpy pasterns? :shock:
BaroqueAgain1

Postby Ballerina » Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:44 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:Am I correct in thinking that those are some long, lumpy pasterns? :shock:

His mommy Rachel's pasterns

Ballerina

Postby Sparrow Castle » Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:13 pm

Craig Bernick‏ @Craig_Bernick
How (Galileo-Lillie Langtry) getting a last look at GHF. Heads to Kentucky for quarantine tomorrow, flies to England and will be bred to Dubawi.
Sparrow Castle

Postby Sparrow Castle » Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:05 am

Sparrow Castle

Postby mariasmon » Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:19 pm

Marsha (IRE) --> Galileo
mariasmon

Postby Sparrow Castle » Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:47 pm

mariasmon wrote:Marsha(IRE) --> Galileo

Coolmore and Godolphin got in another bidding war and Coolmore won this one. She sold for an incredible 6,000,000gns, a European record for a broodmare. That's more than $8 million if I'm remembering correctly. Godolphin won the bidding war for Dank's Galileo filly by Galileo at the October yearling sale. Looks like there will be a lot of mixing of Dubawi and other Godolphin mares' bloodlines with Galileo's and other Coolmore stallions. And Coolmore mares will visit Godolphin stallions. Will be fun to watch and hopefully will improve the breed in Europe.

https://www.racingpost.com/bloodstock/bloodstock-world/commerce-between-breeding-superpowers-no-longer-implausible/310801

And an article about the Marsha sale:
https://www.racingpost.com/bloodstock/bloodstock-news/marsha-sets-the-ring-alight-as-she-sells-for-record-six-million-guineas/311141
Sparrow Castle

Postby Starine » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:09 pm

Zhukova --> Dubwai
Starine

PreviousNext

Return to Breeding & Sales