The VENT Thread

starrydreamer

Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:04 pm

sweettalk wrote:i have RA and my rheumatoid test was negative, as well. the dr i saw said that it happens sometimes, so i'm glad you're going in anyway.
Yeah, the internist I saw made it sound like it was all in my head.

However, I also need to lose about 30 lbs. I think that will help my poor knee out, at least.
Tessablue

Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:18 pm

starrydreamer wrote:
sweettalk wrote:i have RA and my rheumatoid test was negative, as well. the dr i saw said that it happens sometimes, so i'm glad you're going in anyway.
Yeah, the internist I saw made it sound like it was all in my head.

However, I also need to lose about 30 lbs. I think that will help my poor knee out, at least.
Ugh, I hate it when doctors act like we're crazy for... what, being in pain? I did a literature search and it looks like low mean platelet volume is an indicator for systemic inflammation, but it's a very very recent discovery so it's quite possible that it isn't common knowledge yet. Glad you are still planning on going to a rheumatologist and I hope you get answers there.

Lots of vents but I'm particularly bummed out by the impending wholesale devastation of the scientific infrastructure that I've basically devoted my life to.
Somnambulist

Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:25 pm

I can't wait until my boyfriend and I are together long enough we can ignore everyone on holidays and people aren't offended.

Also the last doctor that told me it was in my head I immediately walked out and didn't pay. Nothing like idiots.
"Life's no piece of cake, mind you, but the recipe's my own to fool with."
stark

Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:45 am

A few days ago I went shopping at Target, used my debit card to cover the $197.00 in damages.

Something is very wrong.....the charge hasn't hit my bank account yet and it usually does before I leave the store.

What am I suppose to do at this point?
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
starrydreamer

Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:01 pm

Kid is being sent home from daycare with a nasty cough AGAIN. It's been almost two months with him having this nasty cough. He sometimes needs oxygen support (which we can provide at home) and we gave him a dose of oral steroids a month ago, but nothing will kick this. He acts fine when he's not coughing up a lung and hasn't had any fevers. It's extremely frustrating.
serenassong

Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:46 pm

starrydreamer wrote:Kid is being sent home from daycare with a nasty cough AGAIN. It's been almost two months with him having this nasty cough. He sometimes needs oxygen support (which we can provide at home) and we gave him a dose of oral steroids a month ago, but nothing will kick this. He acts fine when he's not coughing up a lung and hasn't had any fevers. It's extremely frustrating.
So sorry about this. I have read that Whooping Cough is making a comeback- Im sure the doc has checked for this. Hope all is ok.
"I reject your reality, and substitute my own!"- Mythbusters
"Oh, What fresh Hell is this?!"- Sheldon Cooper(quoted from Dorothy Parker)- Big Bang Theory
"Sometimes I think he's the King of Stupid" - Old Man- Pawn Stars
Catalina

Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:01 pm

stark wrote:A few days ago I went shopping at Target, used my debit card to cover the $197.00 in damages.

Something is very wrong.....the charge hasn't hit my bank account yet and it usually does before I leave the store.

What am I suppose to do at this point?
Talk to the bank, I would imagine.
Catalina

Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:08 pm

starrydreamer wrote:Kid is being sent home from daycare with a nasty cough AGAIN. It's been almost two months with him having this nasty cough. He sometimes needs oxygen support (which we can provide at home) and we gave him a dose of oral steroids a month ago, but nothing will kick this. He acts fine when he's not coughing up a lung and hasn't had any fevers. It's extremely frustrating.
There seems to be a lot of this making the rounds right now, kid as well as adults.
starrydreamer

Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:44 pm

Catalina wrote:
There seems to be a lot of this making the rounds right now, kid as well as adults.
Yeah - my husband finally seems to have a handle on his cough, two months later. But his cough doesn't make him throw up like it does our kid. Husband used Mucinex to help clear him out - and kids can't have it. Somehow I didn't get it. I had three days of fever with a pounding headache, but it went away without a cough developing.

I guess I really can't complain. The child has stayed out of the hospital so far this year! Last time this year, he was in the hospital for surgery after it was delayed because he was in intensive care with RSV.
Somnambulist

Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:52 pm

starrydreamer wrote:
Catalina wrote:
Yeah - my husband finally seems to have a handle on his cough, two months later. But his cough doesn't make him throw up like it does our kid. Husband used Mucinex to help clear him out - and kids can't have it. Somehow I didn't get it. I had three days of fever with a pounding headache, but it went away without a cough developing.
[/quote]

Can you diffuse peppermint oil/eucalyptus oil in his room?/shower? This def isn't a cure but when my sinuses/chest are awful (frequently) I diffuse this when I'm in the shower and it always helps. Everyone in my family benefits from it and I'm not sure it gets worse than my dad's allergies.

My 2.5 year old crown apparently has a massive hole in it. Bye bye $1k. No wonder no one goes to the dentist.
Still no energy. I'd be concerned but I don't have the energy.
Piriformis syndrome is awful. Additionally, not hitting the gym 100% is actually worse so in comparison the pain is tolerable.
starrydreamer

Sun Dec 24, 2017 6:25 pm

Well, this has to rank as one of the worst Christmases yet.

Kid's cough got worse, so we took him to the ER on Tuesday and he was promptly admitted. He kept getting worse in the med/surg wing, so they put him in the pediatric ICU and sedated him so they could put a full-face bipap mask on him. I think he scared them because his co2 level was so high, it'd put regular people in a coma. The full-face bipap mask scared the daylights out of him - he was sedated but still managing to go full hulk-rage. He's doing better now but still in the PICU and definitely not coming home in time for Christmas.

To make things worse, I have norovirus. I was at the hospital two days ago, then started throwing up. Had to call my poor husband back, then threw up again on my walk from my son's room to my car. I was basically bedridden yesterday. Climbing back to life now. I did manage to lose 10 lbs, so hey. Silver lining. I've stayed away from the hospital because that's the last thing my kid needs, but man. It sucks.
BaroqueAgain1

Sun Dec 24, 2017 8:07 pm

So sorry. :(
I really hope you all get stockings stuffed full of good health for the holiday. Especially for your little one. Sick AND scared is no way to spend Christmas.
stark

Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:37 am

The awards shows are just around the corner, Golden Globes are Sunday night and I'd really like to enjoy them, then the Academy Awards in March.

Rather, I fear the winners will take their moment in time to make political statements that I haven't liked since Marlon Brando opted out of accepting the Godfather award in favor of telling us about Indian history.

I don't like it, I put Meryl Streep in the same category along with Colin Kaepernick.....you might have a good message, but I can't hear you, it's not what I tuned in to see. This is the wrong time, wrong place to be telling me how I should be thinking about stuff much larger than your movie or game.

Just like some folks use the mute button while watching TVG, I guess that's what I'll have to resort to, or just skip the darn things altogether. Heck, do they realize I'd watch their fixed awards show if they were gracious, thanked their staff, the fans, peers etc. tell us a funny story from on the set, what's so wrong with that?

Mondays are a good day for protesting and making political speeches. Meryl, Colin et al, grab a picket sign and join the crowd, you'll make the nightly news!
starrydreamer

Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:46 pm

I'm not surprised that this is your position, and it shouldn't be surprising that I wholeheartedly disagree. I know a lot of people who share your position, though, and it is a valid one. Actors and athletes are primarily entertainers, after all. They should entertain us.

However, in a society that puts entertainers on pedestals, why shouldn't entertainers use their high status to try to make society a better place? They're also citizens - they have as much a right to speak out about causes important to them as anyone else. Whether it's Sarah McLachlan and her ASPCA commercials, Pamela Anderson and PETA, Colin Kapaernick and police brutality toward blacks, or Clint Eastwood talking to an empty chair at the Republican National Convention, they all have the right to use the microphones that get shoved into their faces so often to talk about things important to them. Maybe it'll make us all care a little bit more, too.

If you don't like it, then don't watch. Either follow the winners in real time, or watch and then mute the acceptance speeches and read a book until they're done.
Somnambulist

Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:51 pm

starrydreamer wrote:I'm not surprised that this is your position, and it shouldn't be surprising that I wholeheartedly disagree. I know a lot of people who share your position, though, and it is a valid one. Actors and athletes are primarily entertainers, after all. They should entertain us.

However, in a society that puts entertainers on pedestals, why shouldn't entertainers use their high status to try to make society a better place? They're also citizens - they have as much a right to speak out about causes important to them as anyone else. Whether it's Sarah McLachlan and her ASPCA commercials, Pamela Anderson and PETA, Colin Kapaernick and police brutality toward blacks, or Clint Eastwood talking to an empty chair at the Republican National Convention, they all have the right to use the microphones that get shoved into their faces so often to talk about things important to them. Maybe it'll make us all care a little bit more, too.

If you don't like it, then don't watch. Either follow the winners in real time, or watch and then mute the acceptance speeches and read a book until they're done.
It's pretty hysterical watching a bunch of rich white people like Streep tell everyone that they aren't liberal enough when there is just no way in hell she didn't know about Harvey Weinstein.
starrydreamer

Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:57 pm

Somnambulist wrote:
It's pretty hysterical watching a bunch of rich white people like Streep tell everyone that they aren't liberal enough when there is just no way in hell she didn't know about Harvey Weinstein.
Hah, true.

However, it shouldn't matter if you're liberal or not when it comes to pervasive sexual harassment and abuse.
Somnambulist

Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:04 pm

starrydreamer wrote:
Somnambulist wrote:
Hah, true.

However, it shouldn't matter if you're liberal or not when it comes to pervasive sexual harassment and abuse.
Well duh! :D
stark

Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:52 pm

starrydreamer wrote:I'm not surprised that this is your position, and it shouldn't be surprising that I wholeheartedly disagree. I know a lot of people who share your position, though, and it is a valid one. Actors and athletes are primarily entertainers, after all. They should entertain us.

Just maybe "a lot of people" are right?,

Speaking of Meryl Streep, for the life of me I can't understand her role in life now. Worth a reported $90 million dollars, why shouldn't she follow her passion, not that many people have that opportunity in life. It is abundantly clear that politics is her passion and as a Yale graduate I'm confident she'd be a first ballot House Of Representatives electee from California where she could work towards her goals of making this a better world.

I mean really, in the scheme of life how important is recreating the life of Margaret Thatcher, Miranda Priestly or Julia Childs on the bigscreen? Why not roll up your sleeves and put your ideas into action? This is your life, it ain't no dress rehearsal for the next one, you've got 10 maybe 15 years left to contribute.

Maybe she'd pave the way for Rosie and Whoopi to the White House?

"Maybe it'll make us all care a little bit more"
starrydreamer

Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:06 pm

stark wrote:

Just maybe "a lot of people" are right?,
I also know a lot of people who agree with me, too. So, yknow.

Have you ever thought that maybe Meryl Streep IS following her passion (acting)? Why aren't YOU in politics if you're omniscient?

I don't know why I bother to respond to you seriously when you have such an air of superiority in your posts.
Katewerk

Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:35 pm

Somnambulist wrote:
$hertoo