Arrogate

bare it all

Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:33 pm

Squeaky wrote:Asked about this on the Paulick Report and Ray emailed back that he was told by Baffert barn that it was not a patch but was “ shoeing support,” whatever that means.
Interesting. I wonder if it's somehow to make the hoof wall firmer/thicker when using nail-in shoes? I readily admit not knowing the first thing about how shoes on a racehorse work. I do know TB's tend to be pretty brittle/thin walled and maybe he's had some issues.
Catalina

Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:56 pm

Tessablue wrote:
Catalina wrote:
Squeaky wrote:Asked about this on the Paulick Report and Ray emailed back that he was told by Baffert barn that it was not a patch but was “ shoeing support,” whatever that means.
Now I don't know the first thing about this, but seems to me if Arrogate needs this "shoeing support" in order to safely run, then he shouldn't be running.
That's a pretty... stratospheric... assumption.
My specialty, I suppose. And I will be delighted if Arrogate wins going away and shows no ill effects from whatever necessitates the use of the "shoeing support".
CoronadosQuest

Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:31 pm

Catalina wrote:
Tessablue wrote:
Catalina wrote:
Now I don't know the first thing about this, but seems to me if Arrogate needs this "shoeing support" in order to safely run, then he shouldn't be running.
That's a pretty... stratospheric... assumption.
My specialty, I suppose. And I will be delighted if Arrogate wins going away and shows no ill effects from whatever necessitates the use of the "shoeing support".
He wore it in the Pegasus and it didn't seem to stop him then.
Catalina

Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:42 pm

Complete with the "shoeing support:? That's encouraging then.
Treve

Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:30 pm

Looks to me like it could be some kind of adhesive/filler to help the shoe fit better to his foot whilst simultaneously supporting the stress of racing. I don't think it's an orthopaedic thing so much as it is one meant to avoid shoes ripping off. Also, not the same as a racehorse obviously but there's a tb at my barn that has a foot with really weird uneven growth patterns so occasionally the farrier adds some kind of glue to fill in the area so there isn't an uncomfortable gap.
A filly named Ruffian...

Eine Stute namens Danedream...

Une pouliche se nommant Trêve...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

And a Queen named Beholder
Miss Woodford

Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:18 pm

Catalina wrote:
Did you see Big Brown's feet when he was racing? He had more epoxy and acrylic than actual hoof. He had hoof wall separation on both front feet in the spring before the Derby necessitating glue-on shoes with embedded copper clips, a quarter crack held together with steel sutures before the Belmont and retired after tearing off his heel bulb.

If BB could run on those, Arrogate is fine.
Starine

Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:25 pm

The Unsolved Mystery of Arrogate (Steve Haskin)
http://cs.bloodhorse.com/blogs/horse-ra ... ogate.aspx
Squeaky

Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:10 pm

Anyone have any updates on how Arro is settling in at the farm? I hope he is finally getting some pasture time.
Squeaky

Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:03 pm

There is a twitter page from Juddmonte showing Arro in a large stall but there is a metal grate over the front and back windows that reminds me of a cage. I recall Pharoah had that but Coolmore eventually modified the front opening so he could stick his head out. I know Arro is not as friendly as AP and Bob said he doesn’t like it when people stand in front of his stall- gets agitated and starts tossing his head ( unless one has carrots), so perhaps that is a reason. I just can’t wait to see him romping in a pasture.
mariasmon

Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:08 pm

I saw him on Saturday. He's really happy and bright. He definitely does NOT look skinny, wrung out or tired. They said he has been getting short periods of turnout. Mizzen Mast got kicked out of his paddock for Arrogate, because that paddock is visible from the farm manager's house and he wants to be able to see the big guy from his window.
Squeaky

Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:27 pm

Thanks Mariasmon!
Squeaky

Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:10 pm

If anyone has a video or photo of him in his paddock would love to see it! Thanks
mariasmon

Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:17 am

Squeaky wrote:If anyone has a video or photo of him in his paddock would love to see it! Thanks
https://twitter.com/Arrogatethegr8/stat ... 6007516160
Sparrow Castle

Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:02 pm

Jon White‏ @PostTimeJon
Now that Arrogate's racing career is over, I have decided where to put him on my updated list of the Top 100 Racehorses of the 20th and 21st Centuries to have raced in North America:

My Updated Top 100 Racehorses of All Time
...By putting Arrogate at No. 22, it does accord him the respect that I think he deserves in relation to the horses on the list to have raced since Spectacular Bid. Yes, American Pharoah, also trained by Baffert, is one of the horses on the list to have raced since Spectacular Bid. I do not think Arrogate should be ranked higher than American Pharoah. In addition to becoming the first Triple Crown winner in an excruciatingly long 37 years, American Pharoah concluded his racing career with an emphatic 6 1/2-length victory in the BC Classic of 2015. But I do rank Arrogate higher than all others to have raced since Spectacular Bid...
More: https://www.xpressbet.com/component/con ... ed-top-100
stark

Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:17 pm

"I wont retire until that baby runs!!!" - Mike Smith on the future mating of Arrogate and Songbird
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
sweettalk

Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:44 pm

https://www.cnn.com/2018/01/23/sport/ar ... index.html

thoughts? not sure i can agree with it (unpopular opinion, sorry)
Get out to Lenny’s for their big grand opening sale. Find eight government secrets and get a free kidnapping and personality reassignment so that you’ll forget you found them!
Treve

Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:49 pm

sweettalk wrote:https://www.cnn.com/2018/01/23/sport/ar ... index.html

thoughts? not sure i can agree with it (unpopular opinion, sorry)
If I'm not mistaken Longines uses a similar system to Timeform: ie the horse's ranking is based on their single best performance rather than their overall record. I do not know exactly how they rate the individual performances though.
A filly named Ruffian...

Eine Stute namens Danedream...

Une pouliche se nommant Trêve...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

And a Queen named Beholder
sweettalk

Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:32 pm

oh... that's a really, uhm, awkward? system.
Get out to Lenny’s for their big grand opening sale. Find eight government secrets and get a free kidnapping and personality reassignment so that you’ll forget you found them!
BaroqueAgain1

Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:58 pm

Why 'awkward?' It's different, sure, but it may be simpler.
Basing the award on a horse's single most outstanding performance through the year escapes the problem of weighing resumes that may seem similar. One doesn't have to decide whether a 2 G1, 1 G3 record is better than a 1 G1, 2 G2, 1 G3 record. Or whether a G1 at Ascot outweighs a G1 at Meydan or Longchamp or Santa Anita.
Arrogate's victory in the World Cup was pretty amazing, and we should feel flattered that the mainly (I think) European panel picked it over Cracksman's Champion Stakes, Enable's Arc or Winx's Cox Plate.
stark

Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:33 pm

On a related note, one writers vote for the NTRA moment of the year.
http://www.horseraceinsider.com/Ante-Po ... o-contest/
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.