The WAR HORSE Chronicles

Re: The WAR HORSE Chronicles

Postby WarBiscuit » Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:36 pm

Sparrow Castle wrote:CTA is looking for a home for My Honey Laurie.

Caribbean Thoroughbred Aftercare Inc.
We’ve been asked to retire this 10y mare with 105 starts (76 races NY & PA and 29 races in PR). She’s earned $267,000. We’re told her breeder and first owner (he raced her for over 3 yrs) aren’t in the TB biz anymore. Ideas for aftercare? No more racing for her. Sanctuary or maybe light flat riding only if vet gives clearance... After all she’s done for Racing, now Racing needs to do something for her (ie, a good retirement).
http://www.equibase.com/profiles/Results.cfm?type=Horse&refno=7991985&registry=T

As reported by Sparrow Castle in the retirement thread, My Honey Laurie was euthanized today in PR. She was indeed a War Mare, and was followed here in this thread. She began on the bigger stage at Aqueduct, Belmont and Saratoga before gently sliding down the ladder and landing at Camarero. So close to making it back home...

Rest easy, old girl.

WarBiscuit
"One horse-laugh is worth ten thousand syllogisms. It is not only more effective; it is also vastly more intelligent." H.L. Mencken
WarBiscuit

Postby serenassong » Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:14 pm

WarBiscuit wrote:
Sparrow Castle wrote:CTA is looking for a home for My Honey Laurie.

Caribbean Thoroughbred Aftercare Inc.
We’ve been asked to retire this 10y mare with 105 starts (76 races NY & PA and 29 races in PR). She’s earned $267,000. We’re told her breeder and first owner (he raced her for over 3 yrs) aren’t in the TB biz anymore. Ideas for aftercare? No more racing for her. Sanctuary or maybe light flat riding only if vet gives clearance... After all she’s done for Racing, now Racing needs to do something for her (ie, a good retirement).
http://www.equibase.com/profiles/Results.cfm?type=Horse&refno=7991985&registry=T

As reported by Sparrow Castle in the retirement thread, My Honey Laurie was euthanized today in PR. She was indeed a War Mare, and was followed here in this thread. She began on the bigger stage at Aqueduct, Belmont and Saratoga before gently sliding down the ladder and landing at Camarero. So close to making it back home...

Rest easy, old girl.

WarBiscuit

How sad, rest easy indeed
"I reject your reality, and substitute my own!"- Mythbusters
"Oh, What fresh Hell is this?!"- Sheldon Cooper(quoted from Dorothy Parker)- Big Bang Theory
"Sometimes I think he's the King of Stupid" - Old Man- Pawn Stars
serenassong

Postby WarBiscuit » Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:05 pm

Per Sparrow Castle in the "In Memoriam" section , another frequent visitor to this War Horse thread, 10yo g Ryan's Gift, has been euthanized in PR. The son of
Bernstein had a lengthy career in the US before being exiled to Camarero.

Ryan's Gift (Bernstein - Annie's Tuff, by Lil's Lad). 80 - 19-18-9, $439,805. Stakes Winner. He tried hard right up to the end.

What a mess it has been in Puerto Rico. So grateful for all of the help these horses are getting from souls whose dedication goes beyond measure. Sadly, luck has run
out for many familiar names who had no other choice than to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. As the old tune says, "Time, like an ever flowing stream, bears all its sons away - they fly forgotten as a dream, dies at the opening day"...

RIP, Ryan's Gift.

WarBiscuit
"One horse-laugh is worth ten thousand syllogisms. It is not only more effective; it is also vastly more intelligent." H.L. Mencken
WarBiscuit

Postby Sparrow Castle » Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:01 pm

Classic Wildcat finished 1st by 1 1/2 lengths, on November 11, 2017, at LAUREL PARK in Race 4.
Off odds: 2.20
Your comments for this horse were: 2006 Forest Wildcat - Affirmed Class, by Affirmed; Leatherbury
http://www.equibase.com/static/chart/pdf/LRL111117USA4.pdf
Sparrow Castle

Postby WaquoitNBroadBrush » Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:08 pm

Tevez (B.g., 11, by Running Stag-Isle of Tunes, by Island Whirl) won his 20th race Friday at Woodbine. Now 87-20-14-14 for his career, and 3 wins in 6 starts in 2017. A well-managed horse who obviously still loves the game.
WaquoitNBroadBrush

Postby BaroqueAgain1 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:39 pm

I've noticed that many war horses who are still doing well run at Woodbine or Presque Isle. IMHO, their synthetic surfaces may contribute to a horse's longevity by being a little kinder to older joints and bones.
BaroqueAgain1

Postby WaquoitNBroadBrush » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:34 am

Of his 87 starts, 60 have been on synthetic (at WO and PID), 15 on turf, only 12 on dirt, so he's obviously found his niche as a stalking synth/turf sprinter, not exactly what you'd expect from that pedigree full of long-distance dirt class.
WaquoitNBroadBrush

Postby Dusty » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:24 am

WaquoitNBroadBrush wrote:Of his 87 starts, 60 have been on synthetic (at WO and PID), 15 on turf, only 12 on dirt, so he's obviously found his niche as a stalking synth/turf sprinter, not exactly what you'd expect from that pedigree full of long-distance dirt class.

Interesting = I still like the synth - Hollywood Park had a great track...
May they run with the WIND
Dusty

Postby Izvestia » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:43 am

And he was claimed by the people that have previously claimed him - not a good thing.
Izvestia

Postby WarBiscuit » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:48 pm

One race too many for 10 year old Papa Freud. Won his first race in 4 years at Meadowlands on September 23rd (only 2 career wins), and perished in his next start at Aqueduct on November 3rd. Had a chance to go out on top. RIP, Papa Freud.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Visitors to the Winners Circle:

10yo g Papa Freud (Freud - Whinaly, by Alysheba), 1st at Meadowlands (9/23/17). 51 - 2-6-8, $148,800. RIP.

10yo g Won Fast Bullet (Red Bullet - Lil Punkindo, by Maria's Mon), 1st at Mountaineer (11/6/17). 84 - 16-15-18, $295,502. Stakes Placed.

11yo g Lesson in Deceit (Roaring Fever - Freedom of Port, by Cryptoclearance), 1st at Mountaineer (11/1/17). 101 - 15-18-16, $214,052. MSW.

11yo h Bear's Conductor (Congaree - Symphonic Lady, by Blare of Trumpets), 1st at Mountaineer (11/12/17. 79 - 19-11-15, $274,050. GSP.

10yo g St. Patricks Appeal B L's Appeal - Naked Lies, by Keep Dreaming), 1st at Finger Lakes (11/9/17). 89 - 11-19-15, $160,485.
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Placed: Bank of Dad - 12g, Bartletts - 12g, Papa Frita - 10g, Toccets Charm - 10g, Classic Wildcat - 11g, Just Hank - 10g,
Don't Defy Me - 11g, It's Mr. Slew to You - 10g, I Am The King - 11g.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
3rd: Takiddm - 10g, Jupiter - 10g, Bye Bye Hollywood - 10m, Bank of Dad - 12g, Country Flavor - 11g, Miracle in May - 11m.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

11yo g Three Quarters (Desperately - Aunita Farmgirl, by Irish Dreamin), has been retired with only 2 races on his resume. 5th at Northlands Park (8/8/10), and
6th at Lethbridge, 6 years later (9/17/16). 0 - 0-0-0, $265. Happy retirement!

WarBiscuit
WarBiscuit

PreviousNext

Return to Racing