Retirements 2017

User avatar
Sparrow Castle
Posts: 4657
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:44 pm

Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:50 pm

Shelley Blodgett‏ @ShelleyBlodgett
Highest peaks & deepest valleys 2day. On Very High Note @CaribbeanOTTB welcomed new OTTB 2 farm ARCH TRAVELER (9y KY-bred) @Centennial_Farm

Shelley Blodgett‏ @ShelleyBlodgett
Has 2 forever home offers (sanctuary) from former owners. @Centennial_Farm IMMEDIATELY started helping us seek & fund his way home! ThankU
Image
User avatar
Sparrow Castle
Posts: 4657
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:44 pm

Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:05 pm

His last race was the Dubai Golden Shaheen in March 2016, but...

Quarantine Law Change Impacting HK / Australia Travel for Horses
Champion HK galloper Rich Tapestry is another horse caught up in the current quarantine saga that is preventing the travel of horses between Australia and Hong Kong.

A globetrotting son of Aquis Farm shuttler Holy Roman Emperor (IRE), Rich Tapestry took his trainer Michael Chang Chun-wai on the trip of a lifetime and his trainer was planning to repay his best friend by providing him a life of luxury in retirement in Australia at Aquis Farm.

The new Australian quarantine restrictions have made that plan all the more difficult.

"He took me around the world, everywhere," Chang told South China Moring Post.

"Dubai, Japan, Singapore, America and we had lots of fun".

He holds a special place in Hong Kong racing history; Rich Tapestry was the first horse from the jurisdiction to win a Grade One race in America and first to compete at a Breeders' Cup, both achievements also firsts for a Chinese trainer.

"It was like a dream," Chang says of that famous 2014 Santa Anita Sprint victory.

"That's not easy to do, he beat two very good horses that day – he beat Goldencents and Secret Circle, they both won Breeders' Cup races. We shocked them. He always tried so hard this horse, he was so honest."

Instead of enjoying retirement, Rich Tapestry remains at Chang's stables as result of the ban on horse transport directly from Hong Kong to Australia put in place by the Australian Department of Agriculture and Water Resources (DAWR).
More: https://www.breednet.com.au/news/138029 ... for-Horses
WarBiscuit
Posts: 1242
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:40 pm
Location: Mount Clemens, MI / Hawks Nest, WV

Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:10 pm

Sparrow Castle wrote:Shelley Blodgett‏ @ShelleyBlodgett
Highest peaks & deepest valleys 2day. On Very High Note @CaribbeanOTTB welcomed new OTTB 2 farm ARCH TRAVELER (9y KY-bred) @Centennial_Farm

Shelley Blodgett‏ @ShelleyBlodgett
Has 2 forever home offers (sanctuary) from former owners. @Centennial_Farm IMMEDIATELY started helping us seek & fund his way home! ThankU
Image

That's great news. Placed a bet on that boy in the 2011 Florida Derby, and got to see him in person at Belmont in the Woody Stephens. Happy retirement Arch Traveler!


WarBiscuit
"One horse-laugh is worth ten thousand syllogisms. It is not only more effective; it is also vastly more intelligent." H.L. Mencken
User avatar
Sparrow Castle
Posts: 4657
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:44 pm

Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:24 pm

His last race was the Dubai Golden Shaheen in March 2016, but...

Quarantine Law Change Impacting HK / Australia Travel for Horses
Champion HK galloper Rich Tapestry is another horse caught up in the current quarantine saga that is preventing the travel of horses between Australia and Hong Kong.

A globetrotting son of Aquis Farm shuttler Holy Roman Emperor (IRE), Rich Tapestry took his trainer Michael Chang Chun-wai on the trip of a lifetime and his trainer was planning to repay his best friend by providing him a life of luxury in retirement in Australia at Aquis Farm.

The new Australian quarantine restrictions have made that plan all the more difficult.

"He took me around the world, everywhere," Chang told South China Moring Post.

"Dubai, Japan, Singapore, America and we had lots of fun".

He holds a special place in Hong Kong racing history; Rich Tapestry was the first horse from the jurisdiction to win a Grade One race in America and first to compete at a Breeders' Cup, both achievements also firsts for a Chinese trainer.

"It was like a dream," Chang says of that famous 2014 Santa Anita Sprint victory.

"That's not easy to do, he beat two very good horses that day – he beat Goldencents and Secret Circle, they both won Breeders' Cup races. We shocked them. He always tried so hard this horse, he was so honest."

Instead of enjoying retirement, Rich Tapestry remains at Chang's stables as result of the ban on horse transport directly from Hong Kong to Australia put in place by the Australian Department of Agriculture and Water Resources (DAWR).
More: https://www.breednet.com.au/news/138029 ... for-Horses
BaroqueAgain1
Posts: 9337
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:16 pm

Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:54 pm

I had posted about this a little while ago over in Across the Pond.
http://thoroughbredchampions.com/forum/ ... &start=180
The impression I got was that Australian health authorities were not satisfied with the mainland China standards and protocols. It would appear that there has not been sufficient change for the Aussie officials to change their minds.
The poor horses are caught in the middle. :(
User avatar
Sparrow Castle
Posts: 4657
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:44 pm

Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:51 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:I had posted about this a little while ago over in Across the Pond.
http://thoroughbredchampions.com/forum/ ... &start=180
The impression I got was that Australian health authorities were not satisfied with the mainland China standards and protocols. It would appear that there has not been sufficient change for the Aussie officials to change their minds.
The poor horses are caught in the middle. :(
Yeah, just surprised to see that they haven't figured out a way to get this horse out yet, even if they have to go through another country, SMH.
BaroqueAgain1
Posts: 9337
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:16 pm

Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:51 am

Australia has some strict quarantine requirements, IIRC, and it doesn't feel that mainland China has met those requirements. Since Hong Kong started allowing horses from the mainland to ship in, I don't know that any horse who is now at Sha Tin or Happy Valley will be allowed into Australia...no matter what country or countries it goes to now.
I have to say I'm not surprised by the conflict between the different health agencies. It's not like we haven't seen cases where the safety/quality control of China's exports has been lacking, so Australia is probably not comforted by Chinese officials' assurances that no disease is getting through.
The horses who are waiting to ship to Australia will be able to IF China will meet the Aussie requirements, but....when have you ever seen CHINA willing to change their practices to what another country feels is the better/safer standard? :(
User avatar
Sparrow Castle
Posts: 4657
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:44 pm

Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:12 pm

Jeremy Balan‏Verified account @BH_JBalan
Dortmund has been retired, according to owner Kaleem Shah. He is headed to Maryland and will stand at Bonita Farm. Fee TBA.
BaroqueAgain1
Posts: 9337
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:16 pm

Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:41 pm

I'd say 'happy retirement, Dortzilla,' but I think I'm going to wait a bit...to make sure this retirement sticks. :P ;)
User avatar
Curtis
Posts: 779
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:17 am
Location: Monroe, WA
Contact:

Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:42 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:I'd say 'happy retirement, Dortzilla,' but I think I'm going to wait a bit...to make sure this retirement sticks. :P ;)
The main difference this time around is that there is a plan to stand him. Shah retains full ownership, but if Dortmund does well......
User avatar
Sparrow Castle
Posts: 4657
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:44 pm

Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:53 pm

The latest recap. So much work by so many people and organizations has gone into this, yet sometimes it still feels like a drop in the bucket.

Seven Puerto Rico Horses Retired Stateside
Seven of the eight Puerto Rican racehorses who were recently retired after Hurricane Maria hit the island Sept. 20 have made the journey back to the contiguous United States safely, according to Caribbean Thoroughbred Aftercare's Shelley Blodgett.

The eighth horse, Salientito, tested positive for equine piroplasmosis and will stay in the care of CTA at Hacienda Siesta Alegre Farm in Puerto Rico with other CTA off-track Thoroughbreds. The CTA said that farm does not have electricity and lost some pieces of its roof and fencing during Hurricane Maria, but otherwise is OK. The farm also has working generators and stall fans.

The seven horses who are now stateside are: Poker Dave at Randy and Karen Hickman's Stone Ridge Farm in Ocala, Fla.; Winning Dubai, who developed an abscess and is on layover at Stone Ridge before traveling to Old Friends Equine in Georgetown, Ky.; Victor Spider, who has been transported to Fallbrook Farm in Versailles, Ky.; Sweetlandofliberty and Rodriguito, who are at Machmer Hall Farm in Paris, Ky. for layup before traveling to Oklahoma as part of the Exceller Fund's Racing Warrior Campaign; Ugottabcatty at KESMARC in Versailles before heading to Alaina O'Brien in Washington state; and Lallie, who went to Oxford, Penn. to be retrained by former owners PTK LLC.

Blodgett said the Hickmans helped her care for the seven horses upon their initial arrival and layover at Lorraine Horse Transport in Ocala, Fla.

In addition to those horses, the CTA has also retired Arch Traveler and Toy Cannon. My Honey Laurie, who was expected to be retired to CTA in the near future, was euthanized Oct. 25 after foundering.

Since Hurricane Maria hit the island, the nearly 800 horses at Hipódromo Camarero near San Juan have been surviving off minimal supplies in damaged barns. Various industry members—including Thoroughbred Charities of America, American Association of Equine Practitioners, The Jockey Club, Brook Ledge, Ocala Breeders' Sales, and Bonnie Heath Farm's Kim Heath—worked to get shipments of feed and vet supplies to the island.

The CTA reported Oct. 24 that portable stalls were set up at Camarero to help get horses under a roof and off the concrete.
https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... -stateside
WarBiscuit
Posts: 1242
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:40 pm
Location: Mount Clemens, MI / Hawks Nest, WV

Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:29 pm

Sparrow Castle wrote:The latest recap. So much work by so many people and organizations has gone into this, yet sometimes it still feels like a drop in the bucket.

Seven Puerto Rico Horses Retired Stateside
Seven of the eight Puerto Rican racehorses who were recently retired after Hurricane Maria hit the island Sept. 20 have made the journey back to the contiguous United States safely, according to Caribbean Thoroughbred Aftercare's Shelley Blodgett.

The eighth horse, Salientito, tested positive for equine piroplasmosis and will stay in the care of CTA at Hacienda Siesta Alegre Farm in Puerto Rico with other CTA off-track Thoroughbreds. The CTA said that farm does not have electricity and lost some pieces of its roof and fencing during Hurricane Maria, but otherwise is OK. The farm also has working generators and stall fans.

The seven horses who are now stateside are: Poker Dave at Randy and Karen Hickman's Stone Ridge Farm in Ocala, Fla.; Winning Dubai, who developed an abscess and is on layover at Stone Ridge before traveling to Old Friends Equine in Georgetown, Ky.; Victor Spider, who has been transported to Fallbrook Farm in Versailles, Ky.; Sweetlandofliberty and Rodriguito, who are at Machmer Hall Farm in Paris, Ky. for layup before traveling to Oklahoma as part of the Exceller Fund's Racing Warrior Campaign; Ugottabcatty at KESMARC in Versailles before heading to Alaina O'Brien in Washington state; and Lallie, who went to Oxford, Penn. to be retrained by former owners PTK LLC.

Blodgett said the Hickmans helped her care for the seven horses upon their initial arrival and layover at Lorraine Horse Transport in Ocala, Fla.

In addition to those horses, the CTA has also retired Arch Traveler and Toy Cannon. My Honey Laurie, who was expected to be retired to CTA in the near future, was euthanized Oct. 25 after foundering.

Since Hurricane Maria hit the island, the nearly 800 horses at Hipódromo Camarero near San Juan have been surviving off minimal supplies in damaged barns. Various industry members—including Thoroughbred Charities of America, American Association of Equine Practitioners, The Jockey Club, Brook Ledge, Ocala Breeders' Sales, and Bonnie Heath Farm's Kim Heath—worked to get shipments of feed and vet supplies to the island.

The CTA reported Oct. 24 that portable stalls were set up at Camarero to help get horses under a roof and off the concrete.
https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... -stateside
So happy to hear about all of these old warriors making it home, but very saddened to learn about My Honey Laurie being euthanized today. The old girl was about as close as you can get to making it back home before fate decided differently. What a shame. Her final stats reported over on the War Horse thread, where she was closely followed this year. RIP...

WarBiscuit
"One horse-laugh is worth ten thousand syllogisms. It is not only more effective; it is also vastly more intelligent." H.L. Mencken
User avatar
Sparrow Castle
Posts: 4657
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:44 pm

Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:12 pm

WarBiscuit wrote:
Sparrow Castle wrote:The latest recap. So much work by so many people and organizations has gone into this, yet sometimes it still feels like a drop in the bucket.

Seven Puerto Rico Horses Retired Stateside
Seven of the eight Puerto Rican racehorses who were recently retired after Hurricane Maria hit the island Sept. 20 have made the journey back to the contiguous United States safely, according to Caribbean Thoroughbred Aftercare's Shelley Blodgett.

The eighth horse, Salientito, tested positive for equine piroplasmosis and will stay in the care of CTA at Hacienda Siesta Alegre Farm in Puerto Rico with other CTA off-track Thoroughbreds. The CTA said that farm does not have electricity and lost some pieces of its roof and fencing during Hurricane Maria, but otherwise is OK. The farm also has working generators and stall fans.

The seven horses who are now stateside are: Poker Dave at Randy and Karen Hickman's Stone Ridge Farm in Ocala, Fla.; Winning Dubai, who developed an abscess and is on layover at Stone Ridge before traveling to Old Friends Equine in Georgetown, Ky.; Victor Spider, who has been transported to Fallbrook Farm in Versailles, Ky.; Sweetlandofliberty and Rodriguito, who are at Machmer Hall Farm in Paris, Ky. for layup before traveling to Oklahoma as part of the Exceller Fund's Racing Warrior Campaign; Ugottabcatty at KESMARC in Versailles before heading to Alaina O'Brien in Washington state; and Lallie, who went to Oxford, Penn. to be retrained by former owners PTK LLC.

Blodgett said the Hickmans helped her care for the seven horses upon their initial arrival and layover at Lorraine Horse Transport in Ocala, Fla.

In addition to those horses, the CTA has also retired Arch Traveler and Toy Cannon. My Honey Laurie, who was expected to be retired to CTA in the near future, was euthanized Oct. 25 after foundering.

Since Hurricane Maria hit the island, the nearly 800 horses at Hipódromo Camarero near San Juan have been surviving off minimal supplies in damaged barns. Various industry members—including Thoroughbred Charities of America, American Association of Equine Practitioners, The Jockey Club, Brook Ledge, Ocala Breeders' Sales, and Bonnie Heath Farm's Kim Heath—worked to get shipments of feed and vet supplies to the island.

The CTA reported Oct. 24 that portable stalls were set up at Camarero to help get horses under a roof and off the concrete.
https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... -stateside
So happy to hear about all of these old warriors making it home, but very saddened to learn about My Honey Laurie being euthanized today. The old girl was about as close as you can get to making it back home before fate decided differently. What a shame. Her final stats reported over on the War Horse thread, where she was closely followed this year. RIP...

WarBiscuit
Before those portable stalls were set up in the grandstand area, the horses in barns with no roofs were standing in near-constant wet shavings and muck for 32 days post hurricane. The stalls were partially partially donated by Hacienda Siesta Alegre, a gorgeous wedding/horse show venue nearby. I hope and pray the covered stalls help keep other horses from developing abscesses, foundering and colicking. Too late for My Honey Laurie though, so sad.
User avatar
Sparrow Castle
Posts: 4657
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:44 pm

Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:20 pm

WarBiscuit wrote:
Sparrow Castle wrote:The latest recap. So much work by so many people and organizations has gone into this, yet sometimes it still feels like a drop in the bucket.

Seven Puerto Rico Horses Retired Stateside
Seven of the eight Puerto Rican racehorses who were recently retired after Hurricane Maria hit the island Sept. 20 have made the journey back to the contiguous United States safely, according to Caribbean Thoroughbred Aftercare's Shelley Blodgett.

The eighth horse, Salientito, tested positive for equine piroplasmosis and will stay in the care of CTA at Hacienda Siesta Alegre Farm in Puerto Rico with other CTA off-track Thoroughbreds. The CTA said that farm does not have electricity and lost some pieces of its roof and fencing during Hurricane Maria, but otherwise is OK. The farm also has working generators and stall fans.

The seven horses who are now stateside are: Poker Dave at Randy and Karen Hickman's Stone Ridge Farm in Ocala, Fla.; Winning Dubai, who developed an abscess and is on layover at Stone Ridge before traveling to Old Friends Equine in Georgetown, Ky.; Victor Spider, who has been transported to Fallbrook Farm in Versailles, Ky.; Sweetlandofliberty and Rodriguito, who are at Machmer Hall Farm in Paris, Ky. for layup before traveling to Oklahoma as part of the Exceller Fund's Racing Warrior Campaign; Ugottabcatty at KESMARC in Versailles before heading to Alaina O'Brien in Washington state; and Lallie, who went to Oxford, Penn. to be retrained by former owners PTK LLC.

Blodgett said the Hickmans helped her care for the seven horses upon their initial arrival and layover at Lorraine Horse Transport in Ocala, Fla.

In addition to those horses, the CTA has also retired Arch Traveler and Toy Cannon. My Honey Laurie, who was expected to be retired to CTA in the near future, was euthanized Oct. 25 after foundering.

Since Hurricane Maria hit the island, the nearly 800 horses at Hipódromo Camarero near San Juan have been surviving off minimal supplies in damaged barns. Various industry members—including Thoroughbred Charities of America, American Association of Equine Practitioners, The Jockey Club, Brook Ledge, Ocala Breeders' Sales, and Bonnie Heath Farm's Kim Heath—worked to get shipments of feed and vet supplies to the island.

The CTA reported Oct. 24 that portable stalls were set up at Camarero to help get horses under a roof and off the concrete.
https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... -stateside
So happy to hear about all of these old warriors making it home, but very saddened to learn about My Honey Laurie being euthanized today. The old girl was about as close as you can get to making it back home before fate decided differently. What a shame. Her final stats reported over on the War Horse thread, where she was closely followed this year. RIP...

WarBiscuit
Before those portable stalls were set up in the grandstand area, the horses in barns with no roofs were standing in near-constant wet shavings and muck for 32 days post hurricane. The stalls were partially donated by Hacienda Siesta Alegre, a gorgeous wedding/horse show venue nearby. Many owners and horsepeople are expressing extreme frustration that track management isn't doing much to restore the backside areas. I hope and pray the covered stalls help keep other horses from developing abscesses, foundering and/or colicking. Too late for My Honey Laurie though...so sad.
User avatar
Sparrow Castle
Posts: 4657
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:44 pm

Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:08 am

G‏ @LongBallToNoOne
LANI (Tapit x Heavenly Romance (Sunday Silence)) has been retired and will stand at Arrow Stud. It was fun while it lasted #mad
https://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=2017 ... -dal-horse
Art by @derbydannyk
https://twitter.com/LongBallToNoOne/sta ... 2911649793
User avatar
Dusty
Posts: 575
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:51 pm
Location: Dana Point, Ca
Contact:

Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:16 am

Long time favorite and always a trier ROYAL F J
https://www.paulickreport.com/horse-car ... M.facebook

Loved this guy!!!
May they run with the WIND
User avatar
Sparrow Castle
Posts: 4657
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:44 pm

Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:56 pm

Mary Rampellini‏ @DRFRampellini
Texas Chrome retired; second Texas-bred millionaire behind Groovy http://bit.ly/2yKx8p6 DRF+
User avatar
Sparrow Castle
Posts: 4657
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:44 pm

Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:28 pm

Jeremy Balan‏Verified account @BH_JBalan
Klimt has been retired and will stand at Darby Dan, per a news release from the farm.
Post Reply