TV Discussion Thread

Re: TV Discussion Thread

Postby Insane Crazy » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:14 pm

greyhorse wrote:Was I the only one who thought Jon made up the cave drawings to convince Dany to fight for him? They looked like amateur chalk art.

This is how I think of Jon every time he starts on about the White Walkers:

But, yes, the moment he said "there's something else you need to see," I piped up with, "I drew something for you!" and sent my GoT phone viewing partner into giggles when we saw the actual art.
Not a wholesome trottin' race, no, but a race where they sit down right on the horse!
Like to see some stuck-up jockey boy sittin' on Dan Patch? Make your blood boil? Well, I should say!
Insane Crazy

Postby stark » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:11 pm

NBC good guy 50 year old Eddie Olczyk that does major horse racing events when not doing hockey is battling colon cancer, best wishes to beat that crap.
Chicago Blackhawks physician Michael Terry said in a statement that Olczyk recently had surgery to remove a tumor and will undergo chemotherapy to treat the cancer. Terry did not put a timetable on Olczyk's recovery but said: "We look forward to his return to good health after the completion of his treatment."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/ho ... story.html
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
stark

Postby PJMIII » Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:34 am

stark wrote:NBC good guy 50 year old Eddie Olczyk that does major horse racing events when not doing hockey is battling colon cancer, best wishes to beat that crap.
Chicago Blackhawks physician Michael Terry said in a statement that Olczyk recently had surgery to remove a tumor and will undergo chemotherapy to treat the cancer. Terry did not put a timetable on Olczyk's recovery but said: "We look forward to his return to good health after the completion of his treatment."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/ho ... story.html

Our prayers are with Eddie and his family.
PJMIII

Postby BaroqueAgain1 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:07 pm

I believe Eddie was mentioned by the crews of all three racing broadcasts (TVG, Saratoga Live and NBCSN's Arlington slot) today, making it clear how well-liked he is.
Hoping his treatment is completely successful.
BaroqueAgain1

Postby BaroqueAgain1 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:51 pm

Well, tomorrow is the 5th episode of GoT, and I've been thinking about some alarmed reactions I've seen about Dany's move in last weeks' The Spoils of War.
SPOILERS to follow, so hide your eyes if you haven't yet watched 'Spoils.'

So, some reviews seem to think that Dany has gone off, all "Mad Queen" bent on revenge, ignoring the more reasoned advice from Tyrion and John.
What? No, she hasn't. :roll:
She didn't take her dragons and attack the Red Keep and King's Landing. She made a strategic attack on a MILITARY target, well away from the civilian population. She scored on her enemy in three major ways:
1) She did serious damage to Cersei's military forces and and valuable resources (the Loot Train).
2) She may now have in her custody a very high value prisoner (Jaime).
3) She now knows about Cersei's dragon-killing weapon and, although it was a painful lesson, she and Drogon survived. They know how dangerous it can be and what its range is. Cersei has probably built more than one of those over-sized crossbows (wanna bet Euron has one?), but whoever tries to use it has lost the element of surprise.
BaroqueAgain1

Postby sweettalk » Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:32 am

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:Drogon survived.
FOR NOW! DUN DUN DUNNNN DRAMATIC REVERB!

drogon, named after khal drogo.

drogo was injured in his... shouldery chesty area.
drogon was hit in his frontal shouldery area (tho on the opposite side).

drogo's wound festered and he died (yeah the curse blahblah).
drogon was hit by a weapon called The Scorpion, named after a creature that has (in some species, very nasty) venom. was the ammo tip coated in poison? i wouldn't put it past its creator to have thought to do that.

my father laughed at me for pointing this out, as if there have never been things to happen like this in all of GoT. i really hope this is one of them coinky-dinks, tho :(

regarding the gold; i'm sure a lot, if not all, of it was melted and basically ruined or destroyed. what's cersei gonna use to pay the bank? they, like all banks, aren't fond of not being repaid... :twisted:
Airplanes are actually much, much safer than trains and cars when it comes to flying.
sweettalk

Postby BaroqueAgain1 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:16 pm

Ah, but Cersei does have that gold. Before the attack, Lord Tarley rode up to Jaime and Bronn to tell them that all the gold had made it through the gates of King's Landing. The rest of the Loot Train may have had valuables, but I believe much of it carried food and grain.
Since those wagons had supplies (like grain for the Dothraki horses?), maybe Drogon's wanton destruction of so many of the wagons wasn't prudent? :P ;)
BaroqueAgain1

Postby Catalina » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:52 pm

Melting does not destroy gold, just its shape. It would still have the metal value, and was routinely re-cast into new coins, jewelry or whatever. The bank of course might prefer payment in coin, and if so, recasting megabuck amounts into coins presumably would take a certain amount of time.
Catalina

Postby sweettalk » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:01 pm

Catalina wrote:Melting does not destroy gold, just its shape. It would still have the metal value, and was routinely re-cast into new coins, jewelry or whatever. The bank of course might prefer payment in coin, and if so, recasting megabuck amounts into coins presumably would take a certain amount of time.

i was worried about getting stuff in it; pieces of wood, dirt, etc, stuff that made it impure, as opposed to literally destroying. sorry, i worded that silly. but like, you'd have to melt it and get the gross stuff out maybe? and then like you said if they need to recast it, it could be a great big nightmare.

BA1, I totally missed that. my mum routinely watches every episode at least twice, maybe i should follow her lead. never too late to learn from your mum!
Airplanes are actually much, much safer than trains and cars when it comes to flying.
sweettalk

Postby Catalina » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:35 pm

sweettalk wrote:
Catalina wrote:Melting does not destroy gold, just its shape. It would still have the metal value, and was routinely re-cast into new coins, jewelry or whatever. The bank of course might prefer payment in coin, and if so, recasting megabuck amounts into coins presumably would take a certain amount of time.

i was worried about getting stuff in it; pieces of wood, dirt, etc, stuff that made it impure, as opposed to literally destroying. sorry, i worded that silly. but like, you'd have to melt it and get the gross stuff out maybe? and then like you said if they need to recast it, it could be a great big nightmare.

BA1, I totally missed that. my mum routinely watches every episode at least twice, maybe i should follow her lead. never too late to learn from your mum!

Getting out the wood and general crud would be the easiest part, it would burn off long before the gold would start to melt. As would anything else that was flammable.
Catalina

PreviousNext

Return to Horsin' Around