Ziconic

Re: Ziconic

Postby sweettalk » Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:53 pm

luvsgeldings wrote:he always seems to get off slowly - and yes, he is always running wide on the home turn - he is little, but he is trying. I thought they should have kept him on the turf - but he ran well on the dirt today - so maybe next time.

who knows, maybe the turf was a wake up call? i'm ready for him to scratch that M off his race record and i really think he can/will.
Get out to Lenny’s for their big grand opening sale. Find eight government secrets and get a free kidnapping and personality reassignment so that you’ll forget you found them!
sweettalk

Postby Curtis » Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:50 pm

Starine wrote:I think his problem is that he's slow.

Ding, Ding, Ding, Ding.......We have a winner!
Curtis

Postby sweettalk » Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:54 pm

we're all aware he's slow. plenty of slow horses break their maidens. sorry we're trying to guess what it would take for this slow horse to slowly break his maiden, outside of a class drop, which they won't do.
Get out to Lenny’s for their big grand opening sale. Find eight government secrets and get a free kidnapping and personality reassignment so that you’ll forget you found them!
sweettalk

Postby Curtis » Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:48 pm

sweettalk wrote:we're all aware he's slow. plenty of slow horses break their maidens. sorry we're trying to guess what it would take for this slow horse to slowly break his maiden, outside of a class drop, which they won't do.

Never has so much been made out of so little. Careful what you wish for, his maiden may be his best friend.
Curtis

Postby Diver52 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:56 am

He needs to be trained and ridden to get out of the gate running. He's not Zenyatta, he can't give the field ten lengths. But he isn't hopeless.
I ran marathons. I saw the Taj Mahal by Moonlight. I drove Highway 1 in a convertible. I petted Zenyatta.
Diver52

Postby sweettalk » Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:33 am

why would we want him to stay a maiden?
(i really like you curtis, so i hope you know i don't mean this to pick a fight.)
sweettalk

Postby bare it all » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:37 am

I feel like if this horse had a different trainer we'd see much different results. Sorry not sorry.
bare it all

Postby BornToWin » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:12 am

Is there a replay somewhere?
BornToWin

Postby firehorse » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:35 am

BornToWin wrote:Is there a replay somewhere?

Calracing.com has all CA replays for free the day after the race. Some, but not always all, can also be found on Bloodhorse sometime after as well:

https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... -on-8-2-17

By coincidence they had Zenyatta's 2009 Clement Hirsch replay on TVG Classics last night, I had never seen her pre-race antics for that race in particular before - she was definitely in 'beast mode' (quite a comparison in size and attitude to her youngest son), for those who never saw her in person up close and don't get what all the fuss about her was, it would be a good watch if on again - it's the closest thing I've seen on video in capturing what it felt like to see/meet her in person.
firehorse

Postby Curtis » Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:38 pm

sweettalk wrote:why would we want him to stay a maiden?
(i really like you curtis, so i hope you know i don't mean this to pick a fight.)

I think with horses it's good to look at the big picture and that picture should be drawn with something easily removable. I like vine charcoal, myself. Now I don't know what the Mosses are thinking but here's what I see. Once Ziconic breaks his maiden, he'll have to go into AOC races which right now will have one or two late developing 3yo with a future of some sort and a small field size. This will probably result in a tepid pace and a non-competitive 4th for our subject. If he stays a maiden awhile, he'll be more competitive and if he can break that maiden late in the year, those AOC races may not be as tough. Now again, I don't know what the plan is for Ziconic. Maybe the Mosses just want him to get a win, try a couple of AOC's and then assess. If he can't hang at that level, he'd make a fine Polo horse stallion--and I mean that sincerely. My daughter plays at Montana State University, her coach is a nationally ranked player. Worse things could happen.

As for yesterday, I thought he ran fine and he was betable, instead, I took my daughter to see Dunkirk, boy was I disappointed. I expected to see a documentary about that gray Pletcher horse and all I saw was a yacht being bombed and shot at, but I digress. As for Ziconic, I don't think Ward, Baffert or Paul Jones training him would make an appreciable difference at the point. He looked like he broke alright and then dropped back as I expected he would. I think a mile is good for him because to get position, the horses in front of him have to gun a bit out of the gate and the pace is faster and he needs a fast pace. As for his stature and stride, it is what it is. As for going wide, it's the price of his doing business. Against the class of horse he'll be pitched against, I don't ever see him crafting a stalking trip and if they force him into that he probably won't finish.
Curtis

PreviousNext

Return to Racing