The Preakness

stark

Sat May 06, 2017 9:34 pm

Well, where do we start?

Pletcher is 0for8, hmmmm!
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
tcw

Sat May 06, 2017 9:38 pm

I believe Johnny V. is 0-for as well, although he finished 2nd with Animal Kingdom. However, this time they have a very talented Derby winner heading into the race.
ThreeMustangs

Sat May 06, 2017 10:09 pm

Pletcher's first Derby winner never won another race. Here's hoping Always Dreaming does better.
MTO

Sat May 06, 2017 10:26 pm

So far who else is pointing to the Preakness?
Treve

Sat May 06, 2017 10:29 pm

MTO wrote:So far who else is pointing to the Preakness?
Conquest Mo Money and Cloud Computing bypassed the KY Derby in favour of the Preakness.
A filly named Ruffian...

Eine Stute namens Danedream...

Une pouliche se nommant Trêve...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

And a Queen named Beholder
BaroqueAgain1

Sat May 06, 2017 10:37 pm

I wonder if the two who were stuck on the AE list, Royal Mo and Master Plan, are possibles? I know Shirreffs was working Royal Mo like he might get into the Derby, so the colt should be ready for the Preakness.
Tessablue

Sat May 06, 2017 11:20 pm

I think Malagacy is pointing to it, which makes for an interesting storyline. Conquest Mo Money is going to be very live, while I think Classic Empire should really wait for the Belmont.

Super Saver was awful in the Preakness, but he was also pretty much the worst Derby winner we've seen in the past several decades. This certainly isn't one of Pletcher's strengths, but the good news is we know exactly what to expect from a happy Always Dreaming in the mornings now.
Big Ten

Sun May 07, 2017 1:01 am

Beat Always Dreaming in the Belmont. No Lookin At Lucky quality to beat AD in Preakness. Super Saver was an awful bet who fluked because of the rain and he had Bo-rail. I believe Todd will finally win it. Have his first Triple Crown attempt. Then go against history at a juicy price longshot next June. Then again, we all saw how Nyquist ended up last year. Never won again after the Derby.

Kentucky Derby - Favorites and attach a longshot. Becoming a predictable race for the betting public during the last five runnings.

Preakness - Usually favorites. Top 2 betting choices. One with speed which AD has.

Belmont - Throw out all the personal emotions and just bet against the chalk who should be exhausted by then.

Unless the horse is as good as American Pharoah which I don't believe AD is. AP was a 2YO champ who broke his maiden in a G1 and won by daylight in all his preps. Happy AD won today but he is probably not even on par with California Chrome. I am just counting the days to see Arrogate in person. Now that's once-in-a-decade talent. Maybe Top 20 most brilliant horse ever. Then there's Mastery, Songbird, and Unique Bella to wait for.
Rock Hard Ten. Free House. Soul Of The Matter. Lit de Justice. Zenyatta. Justify. Cigar. Ghostzapper. Lava Man. Silver Charm.
Kay16

Sun May 07, 2017 3:22 am

Tessablue wrote:I think Malagacy is pointing to it, which makes for an interesting storyline. Conquest Mo Money is going to be very live, while I think Classic Empire should really wait for the Belmont.

Super Saver was awful in the Preakness, but he was also pretty much the worst Derby winner we've seen in the past several decades. This certainly isn't one of Pletcher's strengths, but the good news is we know exactly what to expect from a happy Always Dreaming in the mornings now.
I disagree, I think considering his inadvertent schedule leading up to the Derby...he now has 2 hard races under him (really only 2 races period since last year) he should be more ready to go in the Preakness than he was the Derby.
Treve

Sun May 07, 2017 10:09 am

Tessablue wrote:I think Malagacy is pointing to it, which makes for an interesting storyline. Conquest Mo Money is going to be very live, while I think Classic Empire should really wait for the Belmont.

I'm undecided about Classic Empire. The selfish part of me would like to see him run all three.
A filly named Ruffian...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

Kay16

Sun May 07, 2017 10:38 am

Treve wrote:

I'm undecided about Classic Empire. The selfish part of me would like to see him run all three.

He came out of the race with some cuts and significant swelling in his one eye. Casse said it depends on how he responds to treatments before they decide where to next.
stark

Sun May 07, 2017 11:36 am

David Grening‏ @DRFGrening
Irish War Cry came out of Derby fine, per @GrahamMotion, who added his "gut instinct" is to skip Preakness. Likely to train into Haskell.

Mike Welsch‏ @DRFWelsch
Gunnevera possible to go forward to Preakness. Final decision later today per trainer Antonio Sano

Jay Privman‏ @DRFPrivman
Royal Mo, who didn't draw in to Derby, worked at CD this am, will go to Preakness, Gary Stevens rides, per John Shirreffs
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
Tessablue

Sun May 07, 2017 12:10 pm

Classic Empire has had two really hard races in three weeks off of very little foundation; I worry that another tough one two weeks later would put him over the top. I'd like to see them give him some time and see how he's doing for the Belmont. He'd be more competitive in that race than the Preakness, IMO.

Girvin is NOT going to the Preakness, and likely not the Belmont either, per the DRF. Lookin at Lee is probable.
aethervox

Sun May 07, 2017 12:16 pm

According to the Paulick Report McCraken came out of the Kentucky Derby with a puncture on his left hind leg. His trainer said that the Preakness is not an option for McCraken and the Belmont would be doubtful.
firehorse

Sun May 07, 2017 12:42 pm

Kay16 wrote:
Treve wrote:

He came out of the race with some cuts and significant swelling in his one eye. Casse said it depends on how he responds to treatments before they decide where to next.
He really is a tough honest horse, both times he's had adversity he fought on.
Big Ten

Sun May 07, 2017 1:30 pm

After replaying the race again, I don't think any 3YO could beat Always Dreaming except Mastery or if Pletcher put Malagacy and Battalion Runner in it. So Pletcher could win it but with another horse. Remember, Timber Country beat Thunder Gulch in the 1995 Preakness. Lukas spoiled another one from his stable. Unique Bella vs Always Dreaming would be an interesting one too.

Very proud of Battle of Midway. He is a miler at best though. AD and BoM were 2nd and 3rd mostly throughout only to finish 1st and 3rd. BoM didn't give way and finished the best among Californians. I just liked his name being a reference to WW2 considering our POS POTUS might ignite WW3 and he didn't look like he wanted to quit in the SA Derby after a torrid pace.

Chris Nolan will release the film Dunkirk this year, so Battle of Midway's name was always in my radar. Could he pull off a Shackleford or Oxbow? AD might still be too good for him. My #10 pick definitely outran my expectations of him. While it was generally a staggerfest home like what we saw in Smarty Jones' Derby, Always Dreaming definitely looked the cleanest after the race.

Preakness might be an off-track like last year, so let's keep on Dreaming...
Rock Hard Ten. Free House. Soul Of The Matter. Lit de Justice. Zenyatta. Justify. Cigar. Ghostzapper. Lava Man. Silver Charm.
Apollo

Sun May 07, 2017 1:53 pm

Battle of Midway didn't lose. That's a lie. He won by landslide in front of the largest crowd to ever watch a sporting event.
MySaladDays

Sun May 07, 2017 4:31 pm

Apollo wrote:Battle of Midway didn't lose. That's a lie. He won by landslide in front of the largest crowd to ever watch a sporting event.
I cashed on him in the Ky Derby (show bets) , paid quite well, so I am a fan of his. I had him pencilled in to my win list at one point.

Seemed to me he had the perfect running style and would stay up close in the Derby, which he did.

I thought his recent purchase was a stellar move by Winstar, and one of the reasons I held him in consideration.

As for the Preakness, I usually skip it. Not really into that race at all. The Belmont is my favorite TC race, so will save my money for that.
Big Ten

Sun May 07, 2017 5:03 pm

After reviewing the Ky Derby 143 again, Classic Empire was at least the 2nd best horse in that race considering how he got mugged early. I say they skip the Preakness and do an Empire Maker. The Bobby Frankel way at beating the Brooklyn Boyz like when Empire Maker did to a NY-bred. Empire wins in the Empire State. Win the Belmont like grandpa and his brother from another mother did.

Preakness - Keep The Dream Alive!
Belmont - The Empire Strikes Back!

Speaking of Star Wars, "Empire of Dreams."

*cue John Williams's "Imperial March" and "Han & The Princess" themes*...

Never tell me the odds.
Treve

Sun May 07, 2017 5:04 pm

Kay16 wrote:
Treve wrote:

What a tough little horse, he deserved a better start than what he got. Really proud of him - if he's that banged up though he probably ought to skip the Preakness and head for Belmont. They're all probably sore as heck today too.
A filly named Ruffian...

Kincsem nevű kanca...