In memoriam 2017

BaroqueAgain1

Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:05 pm

I don't think that would work. It is very hard for riders in the middle of a race to hear the announcer, so saying that the jocks who continued riding were being deliberately disobedient would be very hard for stewards to prove.
Life At Zen

Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:03 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:I don't think that would work. It is very hard for riders in the middle of a race to hear the announcer, so saying that the jocks who continued riding were being deliberately disobedient would be very hard for stewards to prove.
The outriders were yelling at the riders to stop, and they didn't because they thought it was just a loose horse.
"When we were hearing the calls I thought something was coming back at us. Maybe a horse had turned around and was galloping back at us."
A R R O G A T E
Paradise Woods, Lady Eli, Songbird, Ziconic
Gormley, Royal Mo, Shaman Ghost, Constellation

Once upon a time there was a horse named Kelso.
But only once. ~Joe Hirsch
sweettalk

Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:19 pm

Get out to Lenny’s for their big grand opening sale. Find eight government secrets and get a free kidnapping and personality reassignment so that you’ll forget you found them!
Sparrow Castle

Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:51 pm

West Coasters and those who follow eventing might remember this guy.

Last Monarch Euthanized Due to Lung Infection
We are deeply saddened to report that Holly Hudspeth’s beloved partner Last Monarch died on Friday, April 14. Holly confirmed to EN that “Stewie” a 16-year-old Thoroughbred, contracted a lung infection and after spending a week in an equine hospital with no improvement, the decision was made to end his suffering.

Holly and Stewie partnered in 2006 and she developed him from the Novice to four-star level. They finished 17th in the 2010 Rolex Kentucky Three-Day Event and were short listed for the U.S. World Equestrian Games Team the same year. Out of 69 events on his USEA record, Stewie has over 60 clear cross country rounds and very few show jumping rails.

“Stewie had the most unique personality,” Holly said. “He was like taming a wild mustang on a daily basis. Yet his bravery on the cross country and carefulness in the show jump arena was unparalleled throughout my career. I appreciate everything Stewie gave me during our time together. He was one of a kind. RIP wild man, you will be missed.”
http://eventingnation.com/last-monarch- ... infection/
aethervox

Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:30 pm

Saw this in the Broodmare News thread:
Baby Zip, the 2005 Broodmare of the Year and dam of grade 1 winners and sires City Zip and Ghostzapper, was euthanized at age 26 due to complications from laminitis, Frank Stronach's Adena Springs Kentucky announced April 20.
Full story at http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/ ... euthanized
TapitsGal

Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:28 am

lurkey mclurker

Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:08 pm

Steve Andersen‏ @DRFAndersen

The 3yo Reach the World was euthanized Saturday after suffering an injury in a workout. #santaanita #drf
https://twitter.com/DRFAndersen/status/ ... 4239640576
BaroqueAgain1

Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:26 pm

TVG also just relayed the news. :( That is so sad. I thought the beautifully-bred colt had great potential, and looked forward to his hoped-for Belmont start.
Condolences to all the connections.
Catalina

Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:31 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:TVG also just relayed the news. :( That is so sad. I thought the beautifully-bred colt had great potential, and looked forward to his hoped-for Belmont start.
Condolences to all the connections.
Heartbreaking. RIP handsome, we were hoping to see more of you.
Diver52

Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:30 am

[quote][/quote]The Galileo connection was so desirable. A potentially major loss, but who knows. Baffert has run into the odds this year, that's for sure.
I ran marathons. I saw the Taj Mahal by Moonlight. I drove Highway 1 in a convertible. I petted Zenyatta.
Sparrow Castle

Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:40 pm

Old Friends‏Verified account @Oldfriendsfarm
Sad we've lost 2 OF iron horses-23yo DUKE ORA & 28yo SWANS WAY. On New England circuit =162 starts combined. #hickory Photos @battles_laura

From Michael...
Within just a few days of each other, we lost two tough old New England Campaigners: Duke Ora, 23, and Swan's Way, 28. They each made 81 starts and died within a few days of each other--Dukie from a neurological disorder and Swannie from inoperable colic. And anyone who thinks Thoroughbreds are the equine version of hot-house orchids, they're wrong. They were more like Jake LaMotta--a pair of raging bulls.
More: http://myemail.constantcontact.com/Old- ... xRdAuGXjpI
Le Beau Bai

Mon May 01, 2017 7:43 am

Ugly breakdown for Aragonite at Belmont yesterday (4/30). DRF confirmed it was fatal.
Formally ELPHIE!
"There's more than one way to fly"
In Memory Of Our Racehorses - https://www.facebook.com/inmemoryofourracehorses
Diver52

Mon May 01, 2017 11:48 am

∆∆∆

Five years ago.
I ran marathons. I saw the Taj Mahal by Moonlight. I drove Highway 1 in a convertible. I petted Zenyatta.
WaquoitNBroadBrush

Mon May 01, 2017 6:36 pm

Sparrow Castle wrote:Old Friends‏Verified account @Oldfriendsfarm
Sad we've lost 2 OF iron horses-23yo DUKE ORA & 28yo SWANS WAY. On New England circuit =162 starts combined. #hickory Photos @battles_laura

From Michael...
Within just a few days of each other, we lost two tough old New England Campaigners: Duke Ora, 23, and Swan's Way, 28. They each made 81 starts and died within a few days of each other--Dukie from a neurological disorder and Swannie from inoperable colic. And anyone who thinks Thoroughbreds are the equine version of hot-house orchids, they're wrong. They were more like Jake LaMotta--a pair of raging bulls.
More: http://myemail.constantcontact.com/Old- ... xRdAuGXjpI
Swan's Way was 15 when he was retired. I saw him run many, many times at Suffolk. The thing I'll remember, though, is the "(VI)" after his pedigree which, if correct, meant he was bred in the Virgin Islands. I highly doubt that -- his classic Mellon bloodlines would point to Virginia (VA), and the (VI) may well be an uncorrected typo. I noticed that Old Friends' article omitted any mention of where "Swanny" was foaled, so maybe they had their doubts about his alleged Caribbean origins, too. Regardless, that (VI) still accompanies his breeding line on Equibase.
BlindLucky

Mon May 01, 2017 9:17 pm

WaquoitNBroadBrush wrote:Swan's Way was 15 when he was retired. I saw him run many, many times at Suffolk. The thing I'll remember, though, is the "(VI)" after his pedigree which, if correct, meant he was bred in the Virgin Islands. I highly doubt that -- his classic Mellon bloodlines would point to Virginia (VA), and the (VI) may well be an uncorrected typo. I noticed that Old Friends' article omitted any mention of where "Swanny" was foaled, so maybe they had their doubts about his alleged Caribbean origins, too. Regardless, that (VI) still accompanies his breeding line on Equibase.
I always thought the VI was funny, too. I dug into it a while back, and his 1987 half-brother (Swan of Avon) was foaled in Virginia, so yeah, it's totally a typo that never got corrected :lol:

His dam did move around a bit. She had foals in FL and OH as well, at the least.
Photos from my racing travels: ThoroughbredJourney.com
WaquoitNBroadBrush

Wed May 03, 2017 9:13 pm

BlindLucky wrote:
WaquoitNBroadBrush wrote:Swan's Way was 15 when he was retired. I saw him run many, many times at Suffolk. The thing I'll remember, though, is the "(VI)" after his pedigree which, if correct, meant he was bred in the Virgin Islands. I highly doubt that -- his classic Mellon bloodlines would point to Virginia (VA), and the (VI) may well be an uncorrected typo. I noticed that Old Friends' article omitted any mention of where "Swanny" was foaled, so maybe they had their doubts about his alleged Caribbean origins, too. Regardless, that (VI) still accompanies his breeding line on Equibase.
I always thought the VI was funny, too. I dug into it a while back, and his 1987 half-brother (Swan of Avon) was foaled in Virginia, so yeah, it's totally a typo that never got corrected :lol:

His dam did move around a bit. She had foals in FL and OH as well, at the least.
I suppose, then, that a wealthy man like Mr. Mellon could have afforded to take a Virgin Islands vacation with a pregnant broodmare as his companion. He wasn't known as an eccentric, however, and if this actually happened I'm afraid of what other skeletons might be in his closet! :lol:
Private Thoughts

Sun May 07, 2017 5:23 pm

Rapper Dragon - http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/ ... by-tragedy

What a beautiful and talented horse, such a shame.
neighhey

Sun May 07, 2017 9:21 pm

Zarkar, son of Zarkava, has died in Argentina after fracturing his tibia.

http://www.turfdiario.com/triste-notici ... -numancia/
Life At Zen

Mon May 08, 2017 10:02 am

Heartbreak City broke down in a workout.
A R R O G A T E
Paradise Woods, Lady Eli, Songbird, Ziconic
Gormley, Royal Mo, Shaman Ghost, Constellation

Once upon a time there was a horse named Kelso.
But only once. ~Joe Hirsch