The VENT Thread

TapitsGal

Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:11 am

Also my friend just found out how important it is to thoroughly research dog rescues. She adopted a 13 week old puppy from a rescue one of her friends reccomended.... she has these past few weeks been through the ringer with that dog. First with the dog being first diagnosed with parvo/hookworms and now he's been diagnosed with another not as serious parasite... and he's had to be re-vaccinated as the vet believes his vaccine records were altered or non existant( my friend was told he had the parvo shot)... she said the rescue has been awful to deal with regarding his health...and that she didn't find out until a few days after she'd brought him home that another puppy in the litter had died from parvo.... she got this info via email
Insane Crazy

Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:12 am

We are pretty sure one of the new farm dogs was swiped by a...Hawk? Owl? Fox? Literally with people watching the pack closely out the window, less than 25 feet away.

Yes. Again.

Motherf***ker. We had him for a month and he was literally a perfect, pure gem of a dog. Ugh. UGH. This is why people don't get little dogs out here, I guess. I am now radically paranoid about wildlife -- I've never had reason to be before. Bleh.
Not a wholesome trottin' race, no, but a race where they sit down right on the horse!
Like to see some stuck-up jockey boy sittin' on Dan Patch? Make your blood boil? Well, I should say!
Catalina

Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:57 am

Insane Crazy wrote:We are pretty sure one of the new farm dogs was swiped by a...Hawk? Owl? Fox? Literally with people watching the pack closely out the window, less than 25 feet away.

Yes. Again.

Motherf***ker. We had him for a month and he was literally a perfect, pure gem of a dog. Ugh. UGH. This is why people don't get little dogs out here, I guess. I am now radically paranoid about wildlife -- I've never had reason to be before. Bleh.
Poor dog. Unless he was a small puppy from a small breed, more likely coyotes. Photoshopped internet offerings notwithstanding, even a fully grown bald eagle couldn't fly off with much more than a 7 lbs prey.

Obviously, watching from inside the house is diddly security for the dog, even assuming that somebody kept their eyes on the dog all the time. Which, clearly they didn't, or they wouldn't have to be guessing as to what got the dog.
Insane Crazy

Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:01 pm

Catalina wrote:
Insane Crazy wrote:We are pretty sure one of the new farm dogs was swiped by a...Hawk? Owl? Fox? Literally with people watching the pack closely out the window, less than 25 feet away.

Yes. Again.

Poor dog. Unless he was a small puppy from a small breed, more likely coyotes. Photoshopped internet offerings notwithstanding, even a fully grown bald eagle couldn't fly off with much more than a 7 lbs prey.

Obviously, watching from inside the house is diddly security for the dog, even assuming that somebody kept their eyes on the dog all the time. Which, clearly they didn't, or they wouldn't have to be guessing as to what got the dog.
He was 7 lb soaking wet -- smaller than most rabbits around these parts. Boss has always had big dogs on the farm, but has had littler ones for 10 years with no issues. My guess is the big dogs scared off most of the predators and they're finally moving back in, or changes in nearby farms (new buildings, new fields, etc.) are pushing animals out of old territory.

Since the first and only time we had issues with dogs getting taken/hurt was coyotes, the front yard has always been considered safe territory. I don't blame her for expecting it to stay that way. The coyotes (who we haven't seen hide nor hair of since they got the other dog, which is odd -- they were prolific in the weeks leading up to it) don't touch that area. That's why coyote is a question mark, though still possible. A fox or weasel wouldn't be impossible, either. We also have fishers, which can take down rabbits, porcupines, and deer fawns. Since they're wicked sneaky, we wouldn't know if we had them, either.

Granted, it's not like if a bird of prey swept down to get something, a human would be much good to stop it. That is what skeeves me out the most. The pack shot off into the woods in a frenzy, which is why she didn't have eyes specifically on the littlest one at the moment of absconsion. Of course, she's beating herself up plenty for it as it is.
Not a wholesome trottin' race, no, but a race where they sit down right on the horse!
Like to see some stuck-up jockey boy sittin' on Dan Patch? Make your blood boil? Well, I should say!
Catalina

Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:06 pm

Insane Crazy wrote: He was 7 lb soaking wet -- smaller than most rabbits around these parts. Boss has always had big dogs on the farm, but has had littler ones for 10 years with no issues. My guess is the big dogs scared off most of the predators and they're finally moving back in, or changes in nearby farms (new buildings, new fields, etc.) are pushing animals out of old territory.

Since the first and only time we had issues with dogs getting taken/hurt was coyotes, the front yard has always been considered safe territory. I don't blame her for expecting it to stay that way. The coyotes (who we haven't seen hide nor hair of since they got the other dog, which is odd -- they were prolific in the weeks leading up to it) don't touch that area. That's why coyote is a question mark, though still possible. A fox or weasel wouldn't be impossible, either. We also have fishers, which can take down rabbits, porcupines, and deer fawns. Since they're wicked sneaky, we wouldn't know if we had them, either.

Granted, it's not like if a bird of prey swept down to get something, a human would be much good to stop it. That is what skeeves me out the most. The pack shot off into the woods in a frenzy, which is why she didn't have eyes specifically on the littlest one at the moment of absconsion. Of course, she's beating herself up plenty for it as it is.
My guess is that human expansion is driving coyotes into areas where they didn't use to be a common sight. And a pack of coyotes would be savvy enough to lure the big dogs away while one or two coyotes use the confusion to grab a small dog.
Insane Crazy

Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:11 pm

Catalina wrote:My guess is that human expansion is driving coyotes into areas where they didn't use to be a common sight. And a pack of coyotes would be savvy enough to lure the big dogs away while one or two coyotes use the confusion to grab a small dog.
It's wild to realize that even rural expansion is contributing to this. We're talking additional farms, biiiig open tracts of land still, but the landscape is changing and has been for a while.

Right now we're down to mostly dogs under 20lb. The 40 lb fella is in fine fettle but can't hear a damn thing. I keep offering to get an Anatolian Shepherd or some such, but no takers yet...
Somnambulist

Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:26 pm

You should watch the last episode of BBC America Planet Earth. It's pretty insane.

That said, some of the ways urbanization has effected the planet are semi-cool. See: peregrine falcon watching on my lunch break.
"Life's no piece of cake, mind you, but the recipe's my own to fool with."
Tessablue

Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:53 pm

Really sorry to hear that IC. I can't believe it happened again to you guys, that's so sad :(

Fishercats are terrifying and could absolutely be the culprits, but they are mostly nocturnal. Also they scream like banshees at night sometimes so that's one way to know if you have them. Either way, wishing you and the other people at your farm the best.
Catalina

Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:41 pm

Tessablue wrote:Really sorry to hear that IC. I can't believe it happened again to you guys, that's so sad :(

Fishercats are terrifying and could absolutely be the culprits, but they are mostly nocturnal. Also they scream like banshees at night sometimes so that's one way to know if you have them. Either way, wishing you and the other people at your farm the best.
It's the dogs there that need better luck.
starrydreamer

Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:18 pm

Somnambulist wrote:You should watch the last episode of BBC America Planet Earth. It's pretty insane.

That said, some of the ways urbanization has effected the planet are semi-cool. See: peregrine falcon watching on my lunch break.
Semi-cool until you remember that we're basically in the middle of a mass extinction event.

That said, I need to watch Planet Earth 2 still.
Somnambulist

Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:29 pm

starrydreamer wrote:
Somnambulist wrote:You should watch the last episode of BBC America Planet Earth. It's pretty insane.

Semi-cool until you remember that we're basically in the middle of a mass extinction event.

I have to make working in Manhattan tolerable in some way so I have to forget a lot.

The reality is morose but the fast track of evolution some predators are on is so insane that you can't help but marvel at it.
starrydreamer

Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:21 am

Somnambulist wrote:
starrydreamer wrote:

I have to make working in Manhattan tolerable in some way so I have to forget a lot.

The reality is morose but the fast track of evolution some predators are on is so insane that you can't help but marvel at it.
:lol: I worked in Manhattan for a few years, so I understand.

But yeah, it's interesting to see how species are adapting.
Somnambulist

Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:13 pm

I'm not sure I hate anything more than bad management.

Except 3 day migraines.
BaroqueAgain1

Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:50 pm

The two things may be one. The bad management brings on the three-day migraine?
Nice thing about being retired; I don't have to deal with lousy managers anymore. :P ;)
peeptoad

Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:51 am

Somnambulist wrote:I'm not sure I hate anything more than bad management.
Agreed. It's the prime reason (among several) that I am looking for other work. And it's not just bad... it's also corrupt, egotistical, and belligerent. Grrrr.
Somnambulist

Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:48 am

peeptoad wrote:
Agreed. It's the prime reason (among several) that I am looking for other work. And it's not just bad... it's also corrupt, egotistical, and belligerent. Grrrr.
Im flirting pretty heavily with the idea of getting a master's in Industrial Organizational Psych just so I can study bad management and then make it better. But school. Ugh.
Insane Crazy

Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:08 am

Somnambulist wrote:
peeptoad wrote:
Im flirting pretty heavily with the idea of getting a master's in Industrial Organizational Psych just so I can study bad management and then make it better. But school. Ugh.
Yo! That'd be so cool! Do iiit.

But school. Ugh.
peeptoad

Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:17 am

School ugh is right, lol.
I'm toying with using the formerly unused degree I got 25 years ago and becoming a fine artist living out of a ditch. No wait, maybe that would be worse with the current administration... :roll:
Somnambulist

Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:52 pm

peeptoad wrote:School ugh is right, lol.
I'm toying with using the formerly unused degree I got 25 years ago and becoming a fine artist living out of a ditch. No wait, maybe that would be worse with the current administration... :roll:
Or about the same. Yikes. As long as your art is cheap I'm willing to pledge. :D

My job is not well managed but they leave me alone to do my own thing. I'm off a bunch of days this week for doctors appointments. I waited four hours yesterday. A wait normally doesn't bother me because I'll read and I get it, stuff happens. But 4 hours? The clock management was just bad. The girl admitted to triple booking and I don't know how the doctor didn't kill her.

My boyfriend waits tables at a nice place and honestly, I can't believe the amount of money he takes home sometimes. At the really nice places in NYC these people bring home in a day or two what it takes me two weeks to make. I wish I didn't have RBF and liked people more. I think about going back to school but then I think about everything I'd have to give up (sleeping 8 hours a day, cutting back at the gym, reading for fun less, liking my life) and I become bristled.

May God be listening and may we all hit the super on Derby day.
Tessablue

Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:12 pm

Well, this is a great year for hitting a life-changing Derby super! That's my current life plan as well, unless peep and I get a ditch community going. Literally had one of my committee members yesterday say "you're awesome and you deserve a great job, but that doesn't mean you'll get one." This has all been so worth it...

Although honestly, as much as I have complained, grad school isn't a terrible deal so long as you end up in a good environment. I had an awesome PI who gave me a lot of freedom, and I got to travel the world basically for free while making discoveries that helped people. Not sure if that all balanced out the total lack of income/ job security/ worker's rights/ sleep/ mental well-being, compounded by crushing pressure and expectations... but it wasn't all bad. Would be nice if I could actually get a job out of it, though. No way in hell am I doing a postdoc, I'm not going to go through all of that again but with MORE pressure.

I hope everyone here finds a job that makes them happy (and also pays well).