Icabad Crane

Lord Helpus

Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:12 pm

Just finished his first Preliminary level event with no jumping penalties and double clear (jumping and time) on cross country. He was second overall to a stable mate with more experience. (Coming in 2nd the first time out at a new level is an incredible placing.)

In fact, probably to no one's surprise, he had the fastest time on cross country. :lol:

https://www.facebook.com/IcabadCraneFan ... =1&theater
WarBiscuit

Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:42 pm

Great picture. Very happy to hear that he is doing so well!

WarBiscuit
"One horse-laugh is worth ten thousand syllogisms. It is not only more effective; it is also vastly more intelligent." H.L. Mencken
Izvestia

Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:37 pm

He is such a fantastic example of what OTTB's can do. He excelled tremendously as a racehorse, and now he is excelling at cross country. I love seeing him do so well.
Lord Helpus

Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:42 pm

At the end of his racing career, he was given to Graham and Anita Motion and they are very involved with his new career. Anita goes to Dutton's stable and regularly videos Icabad's training sessions and then posts them. Icabad seems to be part of their family.

Icabad's progress is not hindered by having an Olympic rider/trainer. ;) But the talent and attitude all come from inside the horse. For him to have gone from Beginner Novice to Preliminary in a little over a year is amazing.
Izvestia

Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:56 am

It's all there. If he wasn't sound enough, athletic enough, or as competitively-minded as he is, he wouldn't be doing it. It's just really special to see. i have an OTTB and he is a wonderful horse, will give me his everything even when he's a bit unsure. They truly are the best horses.
perfectsoul

Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:03 pm

Image\

Per Phillip Dutton Eventing: "Icabad Crane is officially a Prelim horse! He placed third today (feb. 25) at Full Gallop Farm Horse Trials in his debut at the Preliminary level, finishing on his dressage score of 30.0. He was the fastest horse on cross country in his division by 36 seconds — I think he had fun out there...I’d like to think that at the higher levels he’s going to be even more competitive when the fitness and endurance on cross country matter more. This is his career now, and we’re committed to taking this as far as Icabad wants to go. If today is any indicator, this journey is far from over. Thank you to Barry Bornstein for the great photo of Icabad at Full Gallop today."

So happy to see this horse doing well.
Prairie Bayou

Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:42 pm

Actually Dutton was given another horse before Icabad. He didn't have the talent or desire that Icabad does. This dicipline is not for every horse but it's nice to see that for some they can excell at multiple things. :D
"AND ALYSHEBA AMERICA'S HORSE HAS DONE IT!!!" ~ Tom Durkin 1988 Breeder's Cup Classic
Prairie Bayou

Mon May 04, 2015 2:02 pm

Icabad won his first preliminary eventing title at Shawan Downs this Saturday. I don't have the placings to post here but they are on his Facebook page. :mrgreen:
"AND ALYSHEBA AMERICA'S HORSE HAS DONE IT!!!" ~ Tom Durkin 1988 Breeder's Cup Classic
Rainyday

Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:05 pm

TapitsGal

Sun Aug 02, 2015 12:56 pm

I look forward to watching him at the cci events
Squeaky

Sun Sep 20, 2015 1:28 pm

Icabad just won his first CIC one star event at Plantation Fields today with a double clear and running the X country 19 sec under the time! He is a true up and coming STAR! See Phillip Dutton Eventing Facebook page for nice winning photo.
BlindLucky

Sun Sep 20, 2015 2:00 pm

Squeaky wrote:Icabad just won his first CIC one star event at Plantation Fields today with a double clear and running the X country 19 sec under the time! He is a true up and coming STAR! See Phillip Dutton Eventing Facebook page for nice winning photo.
From yesterday, 9/19:

From today, 9/20:

Photos from my racing travels: ThoroughbredJourney.com
Sparrow Castle

Sun Sep 20, 2015 6:20 pm

So excited when I saw this on my FB feed. Well done, Icabad and team!
Sparrow Castle

Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:35 pm

Lovely photo of Icabad on Phillip Dutton Eventing's FB page.
Thank you to Charlie Mann and AK Dragoo Photography for this composite photo of Icabad Crane jumping the final water complex on cross country at Plantation Field Horse Trials! — with Charlie Mann and Amy Dragoo.
https://www.facebook.com/phillipduttone ... =1&theater
Squeaky

Sat Oct 24, 2015 4:06 pm

Icabad finished fifth out of over 50 horses in a large and competitive field of eventers in his first CCI* at the prestigious Hagyard 3 day event in Kentucky at the horse park. He had a very good dressage score, was clear, fast and inside the time over a big and demanding cross country course, and had one rail down over a difficult stadium jumping course. Tomorrow he will do a demonstration at this year's Thoroughbred Makeover competition, and Phillip Dutton will present the trophy to this year's winner. Go Icabad!
Sparrow Castle

Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:30 pm

Thought I'd resurrect this thread with a nice story about this team.

Former top Thoroughbred and daughter of Olympic medalist combine for gold
Two-time Olympic gold medalist Phillip Dutton has long been an advocate of off-the-track Thoroughbreds for competition in eventing, which tests a horse’s athleticism, versatility, stamina, and courage through tests in dressage, cross-country, and stadium jumping.

That love for the breed, along with skill in the sport, runs in the family.

Dutton's teenage daughter Olivia recently rode one of the stable’s most familiar names, classic-placed Icabad Crane, to victory in the Junior Open Training division at Fair Hill International's August horse trials.
http://www.drf.com/news/former-top-thor ... mbine-gold
Jacob Bedeau

Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:45 am

Interesting, thanks for the link!
I like online betting. I'm into sports right now. Too bad I don't even know how to play here. Do you know those rules?
Sparrow Castle

Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:35 pm

GrahamMotion Retweeted
Bailey Gallison @starting_gate
4h4 hours ago
Bailey Gallison Retweeted Equestrian Canada
Love this photo of #OTTB Icabad Crane toting around Peter with the utmost care. Icabad finished 3rd in the 2008 Preakness for trainer @GrahamMotion and owner Earle Mack. @HerringswellStb was instrumental in placing the horse with Olympian Phillip Dutton.

Equestrian Canada @Equestrian_Can
On March 25, 2017, Peter Barry suffered a stroke on the grounds of the Carolina Horse Park. Approximately one year later, the Canadian Eventing Olympian is making great strides in his rehabilitation, motivated by his desire to get back into the saddle http://bit.ly/2GZZ2ly