In memoriam 2018

PONYRCR

Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:55 am

Mylute wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:15 am
CHRB Chairman Sheds Light On Bobby Abu Dhabi's Death

https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... abis-death

If TL;DR:

~ Espinoza says "I don't know who came up with the idea the horse had a heart attack," and claims to have heard the sound of a bone cracking
~ Espinoza also says that Bobby "didn't feel 100%" going into the workout
~ Chuck Winner says there's a "very good chance" Bobby did not die of a heart attack (as of now since the necropsy isn't complete)
~ Joanne Nor talked about the negative effects of a certain pesticide (which we know is a cancer causing agent) and this sparked the new discussion
~ Brian Trump won't comment until the necropsy is done
~ Peter Miller has no comment
This is the first time I've read Espinoza say ANYTHING about the horse breaking down. Previous things I've read quote him saying the horse just disappeared from under neath him. Something like. "Poof, he was gone and I was riding air". I just read the LA TImes article on him and he said NOTHING about the horse breaking down - I've been following racing for over 40 years, I've watched a lot of races, and unfortunately seen a lot of break downs. Horses that break down don't usually disappear from under you. I've never heard of one breaking down and hitting the ground already dead. - Given the mention of the pesticide is it possible the horse nibbled on some tainted grass that morning?
The Doctors Saint

Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:10 pm

What necropsy results take over a month to attain? Gross dissection is done as a matter of course with racing animals; particularly the limbs,grading of articulating surfaces respective to wear/damage, condition of musculoskeletal tissues etc. and records are kept on this I thought. Toxicology findings?
Flanders

Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:35 pm

The Doctors Saint wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:10 pm
What necropsy results take over a month to attain? Gross dissection is done as a matter of course with racing animals; particularly the limbs,grading of articulating surfaces respective to wear/damage, condition of musculoskeletal tissues etc. and records are kept on this I thought. Toxicology findings?
Toxicology tests can take a long time. First it would depend how backed up the labs are that are doing them and then how many tests they are running. It could take months to get them all back and they wont report findings until all the tests are back.
Mylute

Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:25 pm

PONYRCR wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:55 am
Mylute wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:15 am
CHRB Chairman Sheds Light On Bobby Abu Dhabi's Death

https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... abis-death

If TL;DR:

~ Espinoza says "I don't know who came up with the idea the horse had a heart attack," and claims to have heard the sound of a bone cracking
~ Espinoza also says that Bobby "didn't feel 100%" going into the workout
~ Chuck Winner says there's a "very good chance" Bobby did not die of a heart attack (as of now since the necropsy isn't complete)
~ Joanne Nor talked about the negative effects of a certain pesticide (which we know is a cancer causing agent) and this sparked the new discussion
~ Brian Trump won't comment until the necropsy is done
~ Peter Miller has no comment
This is the first time I've read Espinoza say ANYTHING about the horse breaking down. Previous things I've read quote him saying the horse just disappeared from under neath him. Something like. "Poof, he was gone and I was riding air". I just read the LA TImes article on him and he said NOTHING about the horse breaking down - I've been following racing for over 40 years, I've watched a lot of races, and unfortunately seen a lot of break downs. Horses that break down don't usually disappear from under you. I've never heard of one breaking down and hitting the ground already dead. - Given the mention of the pesticide is it possible the horse nibbled on some tainted grass that morning?
Yeah. My theory is that he probably heard something and mistook it for a bone popping. I don’t think he would lie about it to cover anything up (not to put on a tin foil hat or anything), especially since this may have cost him the rest of his riding career.

If he “wasn’t 100%” going into the workout that supports the pesticide/something else theory. If that’s really what happened this could be the start of something major.
"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it."
~ Robin Williams 1951 - 2̶0̶1̶4̶ ∞
BaroqueAgain1

Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:02 pm

It's possible that Bobby's death and the use of Roundup at the track are connected...or that these are two separate issues.
Even if the toxicology results end up showing no herbicide in the colt's system, IMO the industry still needs to have a conversation about the use of Roundup. It shouldn't be used anywhere near living creatures. :evil:
One of these days....and that day may come sooner rather than later...humanity is going to have to face the disastrous consequences of all the poisons we have put into the environment. We've contaminated the air, soil, groundwater, waterways and oceans with everything from herbicides and insecticides to nuclear waste.
It's just too bad that, while we're destroying ourselves, we're going to drag thousands of other species down with us. :roll:
lurkey mclurker

Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:24 pm

Izvestia wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:53 am
This is too weird. I have one question- if the horse doesn’t feel right, why work him?
This, to the power of infinity :?
Katewerk

Sat Aug 25, 2018 12:54 am

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:02 pm
It's possible that Bobby's death and the use of Roundup at the track are connected...or that these are two separate issues. [snip]
Unless someone had that horse on a Round Up drip prior to being worked, it's not "possible".
The Doctors Saint

Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:52 pm

I wonder if the "pop" he remembered hearing was his own neck vertebra fracturing; at the instant of nerve impingement it's possible that the sequence of messages from the senses going back to the brain get a bit jumbled in recollection.
Diver52

Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:40 pm

If poor Bobby had been trained by a trainer with several "B's" in his name, the speculation wouldn't be so benign.
I ran marathons. I saw the Taj Mahal by Moonlight. I drove Highway 1 in a convertible. I petted Zenyatta.
Mylute

Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:21 am

Diver52 wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:40 pm
If poor Bobby had been trained by a trainer with several "B's" in his name, the speculation wouldn't be so benign.
Oh, people would be having a field day.
Sparrow Castle

Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:38 pm

Barbara Livingston @DRFLivingston
1d1 day ago
Sending condolences to the connections of 5-time G1 winner WITH ANTICIPATION, who died in July at 23, according to a @DRFGrening article about Wednesday's feature: the With Anticipation.

This fan favorite was the very popular winner of the 2002 Sword Dancer here at age 7....

24h24 hours ago
Photograph, with rider Jenny Young, at Saratoga in 2003.

24h24 hours ago
Correction: With Anticipation lived out his life in comfort at owner George Strawbridge's Pennsylvania farm.

With Anticipation was SO exciting to watch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbSh2NsMTnE

David Grening article about Wednesday's With Anticipation:
https://www.drf.com/news/somelikeithotb ... nable=true
Mylute

Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:33 am

According to Pedigreequery, Apple Betty died in February due to botulism. She was a full-sister to Magician, and a globetrotting Gr.III winner in the US.

She was an Aiden O’Brien trainee...is this the virus that has gone through his stables? Can anyone confirm this?
mariasmon

Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:18 pm

Mylute wrote:
According to Pedigreequery, Apple Betty died in February due to botulism. She was a full-sister to Magician, and a globetrotting Gr.III winner in the US.

She was an Aiden O’Brien trainee...is this the virus that has gone through his stables? Can anyone confirm this?
She was more recently in the US with Shug McGaughey, not at Aidan O'Brien's yard. She raced in the US from the fall of 2016 through her last start in early 2018.
Katewerk

Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:02 pm

Mylute wrote:

Botulism is a toxin produced by a bacteria.
Mylute

Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:30 pm

Chevely Park Stud Medicean Dies at 21
Medicean, a stalwart of the Cheveley Park Stud stallion roster for 16 years until his retirement last August, died after suffering a suspected heart attack. The son of Machiavellian was 21.
https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... dies-at-21
Sparrow Castle

Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:19 pm

A P Valentine, Son of A.P. Indy, Euthanized at 20
A P Valentine, a Gr. 1 winner, was euthanized due to complications from colic on September 1 at Park Equine Hospital in Woodford County. The 20-year-old son of A.P. Indy had been pensioned at Old Friends, the Thoroughbred Retirement farm in Georgetown, KY.

Campaigned by Rick Pitino's Ol' Memorial Stable (formerly Celtic Pride Stables) and trainer Nick Zito, A P Valentine ( out of the Alydar mare Twenty Eight Carat) was a leading 2-year-old of 2000 having captured that year's Gr. 1 Champagne Stakes.

The following year the colt broke the 1/16 miles track record at an optional claiming race for 3-year-olds and upwards at Hialeah Park before embarking on the Triple Crown trail, where he placed second to Point Given in the 2001 Preakness Stakes.

A P Valentine was retired from racing in 2001 to Ashford/Coolmore Stud but was soon pensioned due to unresolvable fertility problems.
More: http://myemail.constantcontact.com/A-P- ... oYZBc8Alpk
BrawnsMom

Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:50 pm

Boo Boo Bear. One of the first I added to my virtual stable; his name and attitude made him seem so huggable. The only race of his I missed watching online, he broke down in the stretch. :(

And I was surprised to find this out on Horse Racing Wrongs while looking to see if the name of another favorite horse might be there. :(
Ingrid

Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:35 pm

Sparrow Castle wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:38 pm
1d1 day ago
Sending condolences to the connections of 5-time G1 winner WITH ANTICIPATION, who died in July at 23, according to a @DRFGrening article about Wednesday's feature: the With Anticipation.

This fan favorite was the very popular winner of the 2002 Sword Dancer here at age 7....

24h24 hours ago
Photograph, with rider Jenny Young, at Saratoga in 2003.

24h24 hours ago
Correction: With Anticipation lived out his life in comfort at owner George Strawbridge's Pennsylvania farm.

With Anticipation was SO exciting to watch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbSh2NsMTnE

David Grening article about Wednesday's With Anticipation:
https://www.drf.com/news/somelikeithotb ... nable=true
Oh, this one hurts. With Anticipation was the one that got me into racing. I’d seen the 2001 Triple Crown races but it was a With Anticipation race in either 2001 or 2002 that showed me how goddamn exciting racing could be and got me hooked.
"Grief is the price we pay for love." - Gretchen Jackson
Mintano

Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:53 am

August 18th - Gata’s Applause won race 2 at Monmouth but was pulled up during the gallop out and vanned off. X-rays showed she’d shattered her knee and was euthanized. Condolences to her connections who were devastated 😔
ElPrado2

Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:00 am

Chattel, you left us too soon.
A participant in the KY Downs Juv Turf Sprint, did not survive it. He suffered a broken shoulder when run into by an uncontrolled race participant in the race and it was not repairable. He was euthanized.
Only 2, he showed promise. We will never see what could have been.