In memoriam 2018

neighhey

Mon May 21, 2018 11:13 pm

So sorry to hear about Tonka...:(
sweettalk

Tue May 22, 2018 12:58 am

mariasmon wrote:
sweettalk wrote:there was a 2yr old filly, she set some kind of record, and she ran with modest success, i think. i swear her name had dream in it, but i might be way off.
Do you mean One Hot Wish?
lulz i WAS way off. yep, that's the one. dream, wish, same thing right? :lol:

your knowledge and memory are invaluable, seriously. i appreciate having you on the board.

EDIT;
just read abt tonka. i am really sorry for the loss. but tonka was loved, and wasn't alone at the end. it's very tough, but take comfort in knowing that, at least. <3
Catalina

Tue May 22, 2018 12:02 pm

Condolences to you and Erica on the loss of Tonka. Especially with jumping a cross country parcour, some times these breakdowns come practically out of the blue.
mariasmon

Tue May 22, 2018 1:00 pm

sweettalk wrote:
mariasmon wrote:
sweettalk wrote:there was a 2yr old filly, she set some kind of record, and she ran with modest success, i think. i swear her name had dream in it, but i might be way off.
Do you mean One Hot Wish?
lulz i WAS way off. yep, that's the one. dream, wish, same thing right? :lol:

your knowledge and memory are invaluable, seriously. i appreciate having you on the board.

EDIT;
just read abt tonka. i am really sorry for the loss. but tonka was loved, and wasn't alone at the end. it's very tough, but take comfort in knowing that, at least. <3
Thing about One Hot Wish was she set that record breaking her maiden, was then entered in the sale late and RNAd, so Wesley Ward wound up keeping her.

Condolences on the loss of your horse, Tapitsgal.
Prairie Bayou

Sun May 27, 2018 1:49 pm

STREET PASSAGE 2012 - 2018 (Bernardini - Street Sounds by Street Cry) pulled up and collapsed at Fair Hill. No word on the cause. I was there when it happened and got word from someone directly involved.

"AND ALYSHEBA AMERICA'S HORSE HAS DONE IT!!!" ~ Tom Durkin 1988 Breeder's Cup Classic
TapitsGal

Mon May 28, 2018 11:52 pm

“Doug” our barns foundation horse has passed unexpectedly last night. The barn owner has been away on a trip and the girls have been watching the barn. Doug was the first horse ever on the farm. It was even named after his racing name. Doug was such a goof and his passing will leave a massive hole in the barn.doug was 29 and had a full life. My heart is shattered right now
Psychotic Parakeet

Tue May 29, 2018 3:59 pm

Velvet Mesquite. Her California Chrome foal has been placed with a nurse mare.

http://live.drf.com/nuggets/42733-harri ... t-mesquite
I wanna do bad things with you.
stark

Thu May 31, 2018 2:11 pm

I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
Izvestia

Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:12 am

Aww, I really liked Gygistar when he ran, such a tough cookie. I’m glad he got to retire peacefully. Here’s more:

http://www.drf.com/news/grade-1-winner-gygistar-dies-19
Katewerk

Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:11 pm

Terrible incident in the Snow Chief Stakes (Santa Anita), Waya Ed reportedly euthanized on the track.

Jockey Tiago Periera, conscious enroute to hospital.

https://twitter.com/TVG/status/1003051730865610752
BaroqueAgain1

Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:10 pm

I just watched the replay on Bloodhorse and it looked like Tiago was really laying in to Waya Ed, trying to get him to move up to the leaders. And so he did...right into what looked like a clipped-heels incident, sending the horse head over heels.
Poor Waya Ed. :(
Dusty

Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:08 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:I just watched the replay on Bloodhorse and it looked like Tiago was really laying in to Waya Ed, trying to get him to move up to the leaders. And so he did...right into what looked like a clipped-heels incident, sending the horse head over heels.
I am so very upset - Rest well Waya Ed - did not deserve that ending - my God
May they run with the WIND
Catalina

Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:39 pm

Dusty wrote:
BaroqueAgain1 wrote:I just watched the replay on Bloodhorse and it looked like Tiago was really laying in to Waya Ed, trying to get him to move up to the leaders. And so he did...right into what looked like a clipped-heels incident, sending the horse head over heels.
I am so very upset - Rest well Waya Ed - did not deserve that ending - my God
Likewise. And it's just sheer luck it didn't bring down the other horse, too.

So now what happens? Do the stewards look if there was an actual hole that Tiago was trying to squeeze in or did he just hope something would open up? In the latter case, does Tiago get days (starting from when he is back to riding)?
Flanders

Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:17 pm

I tried to watch the head on view to see what happened but Twinspires cut it. The 5 horse wasn't keeping a straight path but I couldn't see if he actually went further out. The chart says the stewards did an inquiry and found no other runner responsible for the incident.
This was from the Bloodhorse, "After a review of the race replay from multiple angles, the stewards at Santa Anita suspect Waya Ed clipped heels while trying to split horses in the stretch, but they could not be sure."
Catalina

Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:01 pm

Flanders wrote:I tried to watch the head on view to see what happened but Twinspires cut it. The 5 horse wasn't keeping a straight path but I couldn't see if he actually went further out. The chart says the stewards did an inquiry and found no other runner responsible for the incident.
This was from the Bloodhorse, "After a review of the race replay from multiple angles, the stewards at Santa Anita suspect Waya Ed clipped heels while trying to split horses in the stretch, but they could not be sure."
If nothing else, the stewards should know after the autopsy. It still should be reckless riding, and as such carry enough of a penalty to get the jockey's attention.
WarBiscuit

Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:49 pm

RIP Northern Afleet...
"One horse-laugh is worth ten thousand syllogisms. It is not only more effective; it is also vastly more intelligent." H.L. Mencken
Prairie Bayou

Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:30 pm

Who's Your Daddy (3/23/97-6/4/18), by Smarten out of Miss Flutie Brown (by Salutely)
Merryland's awesome teaser has moved on to gallop and chase mares in Heaven. Before "retiring" to be our teaser he stood at stud in Maryland and sired 36 foals! RIP sweet boy
"AND ALYSHEBA AMERICA'S HORSE HAS DONE IT!!!" ~ Tom Durkin 1988 Breeder's Cup Classic
ThreeMustangs

Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:11 pm

Prairie Bayou wrote:Who's Your Daddy (3/23/97-6/4/18), by Smarten out of Miss Flutie Brown (by Salutely)
Merryland's awesome teaser has moved on to gallop and chase mares in Heaven. Before "retiring" to be our teaser he stood at stud in Maryland and sired 36 foals! RIP sweet boy
I hope he catches a few.

Smarten and Salutely—used to see those names all the time in pedigrees in the “Baltimore Sun’s” charts back in the 80s and 90s.
WaquoitNBroadBrush

Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:31 am

Prairie Bayou wrote:Who's Your Daddy (3/23/97-6/4/18), by Smarten out of Miss Flutie Brown (by Salutely)
Not being a true horse person, maybe I'm over-anthromorphizing here, but do teasers enjoy their work or do they show signs of frustration over constantly not being allowed to cover the mares? How are they to handle away from the "job"? I think I can say with little fear of contradiction that, if human breeding were conducted in the manner of equine breeding, you'd find few if any males of our species willing to become professional teasers, especially if they weren't allowed private sex lives.
Flanders

Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:25 am

WaquoitNBroadBrush wrote:
Not being a true horse person, maybe I'm over-anthromorphizing here, but do teasers enjoy their work or do they show signs of frustration over constantly not being allowed to cover the mares? How are they to handle away from the "job"? I think I can say with little fear of contradiction that, if human breeding were conducted in the manner of equine breeding, you'd find few if any males of our species willing to become professional teasers, especially if they weren't allowed private sex lives.
Some farms allow their teasers to cover other mares, so they don't get frustrated. I've seen photos of the foals of, I believe, Winstar's teaser.