In memoriam 2018

Prairie Bayou

Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:59 am

HASILI

https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... dies-at-27

HASILI (1991-2018) -

It is with great sadness that I have to pass on the news that the great broodmare Hasili has sadly passed away at Banstead Manor Stud at the age of 27.

The daughter of Kahyasi, a Listed winner as a juvenile in France, will be best remembered as arguably one of the greatest broodmares of her generation; if not, of all time.

Hasili's Progeny:

Dansili (Danehill 1996) -
Group 2 winner & six-time Group/Grade 1 placed. High-class sire of multiple Group/Grade 1 winners.

Banks Hill (Danehill 1998) -
Three-time Group/Grade 1 winner & Classic placed. Dam of Group 1 heroine Romantica.

Heat Haze (Green Desert 1999) -
Two-time Grade 1 winner in the US. Dam of three Stakes performers: Forge, Mirage Dancer & Radiator.

Intercontinental (Danehill 2000) -
Two-time Grade 1 winner & Classic placed. Dam of Stakes performer Abseil.

Cacique (Danehill 2001) -
Two-time Grade 1 winner in the US. Sire of Group 1 hero Mutual Trust.

Champs Elysees (Danehill 2003) -
Three-time Grade 1 winner in North America. Sire of Ascot Gold Cup winner Trip To Paris.

Raise The Flag (Sadler's Wells 2005) -
Unplaced on only start. Standing at stud in New Zealand.

Deluxe (Storm Cat 2007) -
Grade 3 winner & Group 1 placed.

Very Good News (Empire Maker 2008) -
Retired unraced. Dam of Stakes performer Weekender.

Responsible (Oasis Dream 2011) -
Retired unraced.

On behalf of everyone connected to this page, I would like to pass on my sincere condolences to all connected with Juddmonte Farms at what must be an extremely sad time.
"AND ALYSHEBA AMERICA'S HORSE HAS DONE IT!!!" ~ Tom Durkin 1988 Breeder's Cup Classic
tachyon

Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:18 am

Prairie Bayou wrote:HASILI

https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... dies-at-27

HASILI (1991-2018) -

It is with great sadness that I have to pass on the news that the great broodmare Hasili has sadly passed away at Banstead Manor Stud at the age of 27.

The daughter of Kahyasi, a Listed winner as a juvenile in France, will be best remembered as arguably one of the greatest broodmares of her generation; if not, of all time.

Hasili's Progeny:

Dansili (Danehill 1996) -
Group 2 winner & six-time Group/Grade 1 placed. High-class sire of multiple Group/Grade 1 winners.

Banks Hill (Danehill 1998) -
Three-time Group/Grade 1 winner & Classic placed. Dam of Group 1 heroine Romantica.

Heat Haze (Green Desert 1999) -
Two-time Grade 1 winner in the US. Dam of three Stakes performers: Forge, Mirage Dancer & Radiator.

Intercontinental (Danehill 2000) -
Two-time Grade 1 winner & Classic placed. Dam of Stakes performer Abseil.

Cacique (Danehill 2001) -
Two-time Grade 1 winner in the US. Sire of Group 1 hero Mutual Trust.

Champs Elysees (Danehill 2003) -
Three-time Grade 1 winner in North America. Sire of Ascot Gold Cup winner Trip To Paris.

Raise The Flag (Sadler's Wells 2005) -
Unplaced on only start. Standing at stud in New Zealand.

Deluxe (Storm Cat 2007) -
Grade 3 winner & Group 1 placed.

Very Good News (Empire Maker 2008) -
Retired unraced. Dam of Stakes performer Weekender.

Responsible (Oasis Dream 2011) -
Retired unraced.

On behalf of everyone connected to this page, I would like to pass on my sincere condolences to all connected with Juddmonte Farms at what must be an extremely sad time.
RIP Hasili :cry: one of all-time best broodmares
It was always fun to cheer for her babies.
Flanders

Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:29 am

Scarlet Tango has a pending death report with the Jockey Club. She is the dam of 2 G1 winners Visionaire and Tara's Tango and 2 G3 winners Madison's Luna and Scarlet Strike. She had produced a Curlin colt on January 28th.
Prairie Bayou

Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:26 am

"AND ALYSHEBA AMERICA'S HORSE HAS DONE IT!!!" ~ Tom Durkin 1988 Breeder's Cup Classic
djnorth

Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:41 pm

WarBiscuit

Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:52 pm

djnorth wrote:Metro the painting racehorse

https://mailchi.mp/e1ae41b833c8/metro-t ... asses-away
Sorry to hear that he lost his battle. I remember reading about him and his ability to paint a few years back. An endearing soul, for sure.

RIP Metro.

WarBiscuit
"One horse-laugh is worth ten thousand syllogisms. It is not only more effective; it is also vastly more intelligent." H.L. Mencken
ThreeMustangs

Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:17 pm

djnorth wrote:Metro the painting racehorse

https://mailchi.mp/e1ae41b833c8/metro-t ... asses-away
Oh, no. He was such a cool horse.
Izvestia

Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:52 pm

Aww, how sad. He was such a special horse. My heart aches for his humans. They did the right thing, but it’s so heartbreaking. RIP Metro
Prairie Bayou

Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:35 pm

Izvestia

Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:44 am

RIP El Bakan
He looked really good in that photo. That’s a long good life.
Ridan_Remembered

Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:09 pm

Izvestia wrote:Aww, how sad. He was such a special horse. My heart aches for his humans. They did the right thing, but it’s so heartbreaking. RIP Metro
Another article about Metro...this one from Paulick Report: https://www.paulickreport.com/horse-car ... lications/
Prairie Bayou

Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:08 pm

Silviniaco Conti

His final victory.
Sad news via @PFNicholls.
Silviniaco Conti has died following an accident while team chasing on Sunday.
Starts: 36
Wins: 16
Two King Georges
Two Betfair Chases
Two Betfred Bowls
One legend.
#RIP
sweettalk

Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:50 pm

RUSSIAN GREEK was pulled up and euth'd at mahoning on april 2.
Sparrow Castle

Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:03 pm

Steve Byk @Steve_Byk
41m41 minutes ago
With tributes pouring in from his readers and colleagues, am late to the disconsolate news of Bill Nack's passing. He was a delight to read and a privilege to know. Enjoy his piece at the @PovichCenter's wonderful 'Still No Cheering in the Press Box' ~
http://povichcenter.org/still-no-cheeri ... index.html

Another piece about Nack's famous tribute to Secretariat in Sports Illustrated...
"Why’s this so good?" No. 76: William Nack and "Pure Heart"
I still remember where I was—sitting in a dive bar in Fort Lauderdale, Fla., trying to tune out the noise from the beach bums and a jukebox blaring Madonna and the Bangles—when I read these words:

Just before noon the horse was led haltingly into a van next to the stallion barn, and there a concentrated barbiturate was injected into his jugular….

And I still remember how I felt as I read the words—exhilarated and chastened. At the time, I was a 25-year-old reporter doing grunt work for little pay in the Broward bureau of the Miami Herald, writing about fires, Medicare scams and city commission meetings.

….Forty-five seconds later there was a crash as the stallion collapsed. His body was trucked immediately to Lexington, Kentucky, where Dr. Thomas Swerczek, a professor of veterinary science at the University of Kentucky, performed the necropsy. All of the horse’s vital organs were normal in size except for the heart.

Perfect. After reading that opening paragraph—and the entire piece, “Pure Heart,” published in the June 4, 1990, edition of Sports Illustrated—I knew two things: I’d never in my life write anything that spectacular. And I wanted to spend the rest of my life trying.
http://niemanstoryboard.org/stories/why ... ure-heart/

Edited to add the DRF story:
http://www.drf.com/news/secretariat-bio ... ck-dies-77
short_lead

Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:22 pm

Rest in peace, Mr. Nack.

Damn, brought tears to my eyes reading about Ruffian's demise and the video that went with it, that Mr. Nack narrated. Not a good start to the day. :cry:
Ballerina

Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:17 pm

One of the great love stories - PURE HEART by Bill Nack. Waxing eloquent.

R.I.P., sir, and thank you for putting those beautiful words together. I read it every year on Big Red's birthday. I know you're with him now.
Last edited by Ballerina on Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sparrow Castle

Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:10 pm

There will be lots of tribute articles posted about Bill Nack's passing but this is the one by Tim Layden, his worthy racing beat successor at SI, is the one I was waiting for.

Remembering William Nack: A Passionate, Personable Master of His Craft
He was sitting in the darkness, silhouetted by the blue light from a first-generation portable computer, while nearby we all drank deeply from glasses and bottles and cans and talked a little too loudly about the events of the day and the evening. It was the summer of 1981, at a house party in Saratoga Springs. The Travers had been run that day, and the celebration of that horse race had carried into the summer night. We were finished with our work, but in a cramped study off the kitchen, Bill Nack was still doing his. I stood outside the door and watched as Bill typed, wondering what genius might be unfolding in his words. He was 40 years old, three years into a remarkable 23-year career at Sports Illustrated. I was 25, a local newspaper writer, dabbling in horse racing coverage. Bill called me in and asked for a clarification on a quote from that afternoon. I haltingly provided it, and Bill thanked me. I stole a peek at his screen.

Before the night was over, Bill would finish his work and join us on the deck. He made the night better, like he made every night better, filling the humid air with stories about Bill Shoemaker and Woody Stevens and Secretariat. Of course, about Secretariat. In the small hours, Bill put one arm on the railing, raised his chin and recited—no, performed—the last page of The Great Gatsby, not for the first time, or the last. It was stunning and fun, and it was magical.
More: https://www.si.com/sports-illustrated/2 ... d-obituary
Ballerina

Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:59 am

Bill Nack narrating a video on Ruffian and Barbaro - speaking or writing, he was eloquent.

https://ruclip.com/video/-XrdTrdcRHY/ru ... -nack.html
Catalina

Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:44 pm

Ballerina wrote:Bill Nack narrating a video on Ruffian and Barbaro - speaking or writing, he was eloquent.

https://ruclip.com/video/-XrdTrdcRHY/ru ... -nack.html
Yes, he was.
firehorse

Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:13 pm

sweettalk wrote:RUSSIAN GREEK was pulled up and euth'd at mahoning on april 2.
Another honest horse run into the ground.