In memoriam 2018

Re: In memoriam 2018

Postby BaroqueAgain1 » Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:10 pm

I just watched the replay on Bloodhorse and it looked like Tiago was really laying in to Waya Ed, trying to get him to move up to the leaders. And so he did...right into what looked like a clipped-heels incident, sending the horse head over heels.
Poor Waya Ed. :(
BaroqueAgain1
 
Posts: 9144
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:16 pm

Re: In memoriam 2018

Postby Dusty » Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:08 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:I just watched the replay on Bloodhorse and it looked like Tiago was really laying in to Waya Ed, trying to get him to move up to the leaders. And so he did...right into what looked like a clipped-heels incident, sending the horse head over heels.
Poor Waya Ed. :(


I am so very upset - Rest well Waya Ed - did not deserve that ending - my God
May they run with the WIND
User avatar
Dusty
 
Posts: 556
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:51 pm
Location: Dana Point, Ca

Re: In memoriam 2018

Postby Catalina » Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:39 pm

Dusty wrote:
BaroqueAgain1 wrote:I just watched the replay on Bloodhorse and it looked like Tiago was really laying in to Waya Ed, trying to get him to move up to the leaders. And so he did...right into what looked like a clipped-heels incident, sending the horse head over heels.
Poor Waya Ed. :(


I am so very upset - Rest well Waya Ed - did not deserve that ending - my God


Likewise. And it's just sheer luck it didn't bring down the other horse, too.

So now what happens? Do the stewards look if there was an actual hole that Tiago was trying to squeeze in or did he just hope something would open up? In the latter case, does Tiago get days (starting from when he is back to riding)?
Catalina
 
Posts: 3122
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:08 pm
Location: South Texas

Re: In memoriam 2018

Postby Flanders » Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:17 pm

I tried to watch the head on view to see what happened but Twinspires cut it. The 5 horse wasn't keeping a straight path but I couldn't see if he actually went further out. The chart says the stewards did an inquiry and found no other runner responsible for the incident.
This was from the Bloodhorse, "After a review of the race replay from multiple angles, the stewards at Santa Anita suspect Waya Ed clipped heels while trying to split horses in the stretch, but they could not be sure."
User avatar
Flanders
 
Posts: 2596
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:01 pm

Re: In memoriam 2018

Postby Catalina » Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:01 pm

Flanders wrote:I tried to watch the head on view to see what happened but Twinspires cut it. The 5 horse wasn't keeping a straight path but I couldn't see if he actually went further out. The chart says the stewards did an inquiry and found no other runner responsible for the incident.
This was from the Bloodhorse, "After a review of the race replay from multiple angles, the stewards at Santa Anita suspect Waya Ed clipped heels while trying to split horses in the stretch, but they could not be sure."


If nothing else, the stewards should know after the autopsy. It still should be reckless riding, and as such carry enough of a penalty to get the jockey's attention.
Catalina
 
Posts: 3122
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:08 pm
Location: South Texas

Re: In memoriam 2018

Postby WarBiscuit » Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:49 pm

RIP Northern Afleet...
"One horse-laugh is worth ten thousand syllogisms. It is not only more effective; it is also vastly more intelligent." H.L. Mencken
WarBiscuit
 
Posts: 1212
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:40 pm
Location: Mount Clemens, MI / Hawks Nest, WV

Re: In memoriam 2018

Postby Prairie Bayou » Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:30 pm

Who's Your Daddy (3/23/97-6/4/18), by Smarten out of Miss Flutie Brown (by Salutely)
Merryland's awesome teaser has moved on to gallop and chase mares in Heaven. Before "retiring" to be our teaser he stood at stud in Maryland and sired 36 foals! RIP sweet boy
"AND ALYSHEBA AMERICA'S HORSE HAS DONE IT!!!" ~ Tom Durkin 1988 Breeder's Cup Classic
User avatar
Prairie Bayou
 
Posts: 578
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:29 am
Location: Reisterstown, Maryland

Re: In memoriam 2018

Postby ThreeMustangs » Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:11 pm

Prairie Bayou wrote:Who's Your Daddy (3/23/97-6/4/18), by Smarten out of Miss Flutie Brown (by Salutely)
Merryland's awesome teaser has moved on to gallop and chase mares in Heaven. Before "retiring" to be our teaser he stood at stud in Maryland and sired 36 foals! RIP sweet boy


I hope he catches a few.

Smarten and Salutely—used to see those names all the time in pedigrees in the “Baltimore Sun’s” charts back in the 80s and 90s.
User avatar
ThreeMustangs
 
Posts: 1329
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:37 pm
Location: Florida

Re: In memoriam 2018

Postby WaquoitNBroadBrush » Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:31 am

Prairie Bayou wrote:Who's Your Daddy (3/23/97-6/4/18), by Smarten out of Miss Flutie Brown (by Salutely)
Merryland's awesome teaser has moved on to gallop and chase mares in Heaven. Before "retiring" to be our teaser he stood at stud in Maryland and sired 36 foals! RIP sweet boy


Not being a true horse person, maybe I'm over-anthromorphizing here, but do teasers enjoy their work or do they show signs of frustration over constantly not being allowed to cover the mares? How are they to handle away from the "job"? I think I can say with little fear of contradiction that, if human breeding were conducted in the manner of equine breeding, you'd find few if any males of our species willing to become professional teasers, especially if they weren't allowed private sex lives.
WaquoitNBroadBrush
 
Posts: 1079
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:22 am

Re: In memoriam 2018

Postby Flanders » Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:25 am

WaquoitNBroadBrush wrote:
Prairie Bayou wrote:Who's Your Daddy (3/23/97-6/4/18), by Smarten out of Miss Flutie Brown (by Salutely)
Merryland's awesome teaser has moved on to gallop and chase mares in Heaven. Before "retiring" to be our teaser he stood at stud in Maryland and sired 36 foals! RIP sweet boy


Not being a true horse person, maybe I'm over-anthromorphizing here, but do teasers enjoy their work or do they show signs of frustration over constantly not being allowed to cover the mares? How are they to handle away from the "job"? I think I can say with little fear of contradiction that, if human breeding were conducted in the manner of equine breeding, you'd find few if any males of our species willing to become professional teasers, especially if they weren't allowed private sex lives.

Some farms allow their teasers to cover other mares, so they don't get frustrated. I've seen photos of the foals of, I believe, Winstar's teaser.
User avatar
Flanders
 
Posts: 2596
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:01 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Whatever Happened To?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests