In memoriam 2017

User avatar
Sparrow Castle
Posts: 4970
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:44 pm

Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:32 pm

Most of these horses died in 2017. They are still dying and probably future lists should go in the 2018 thread.

Shelley Blodgett @ShelleyBlodgett
2m2 minutes ago
Names of 56 TB horses died in PR since Maria. Missing 50+ more horse names that died in backstretch stalls. 105 days of wet, muck, neglect is taking toll. Barns aren't repaired & death/killing rate rising significantly, yet they're in States now buying more horses 2 import 2 race :cry: @CaribbeanOTTB
Image
WarBiscuit
Posts: 1299
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:40 pm
Location: Mount Clemens, MI / Hawks Nest, WV

Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:29 pm

Sparrow Castle wrote:Most of these horses died in 2017. They are still dying and probably future lists should go in the 2018 thread.

Shelley Blodgett @ShelleyBlodgett
2m2 minutes ago
Names of 56 TB horses died in PR since Maria. Missing 50+ more horse names that died in backstretch stalls. 105 days of wet, muck, neglect is taking toll. Barns aren't repaired & death/killing rate rising significantly, yet they're in States now buying more horses 2 import 2 race :cry: @CaribbeanOTTB
Image
I am fearful that more familiar names are going to show up on that list. I keep a close watch on the Camarero entries hoping for some of the missing ancient War Horses to show up, and it's not because I want to see them continue to race, but rather a relief to know that they are still alive. Several have resurfaced in the new year, but I am very concerned about a number of them that appear to be missing - in particular, a few older mares - 13yo Worthy of Wings who has 133 starts behind her, 12yo Princesa Dorada with 123 starts, and 12yo La Comeriena , with 138 starts. There are others, as well. I do understand that they need to race in order to generate much needed money, but something at Camarero is just not sitting well with me at the moment...

WarBiscuit
"One horse-laugh is worth ten thousand syllogisms. It is not only more effective; it is also vastly more intelligent." H.L. Mencken
User avatar
Sparrow Castle
Posts: 4970
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:44 pm

Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:01 pm

WarBiscuit wrote:
Sparrow Castle wrote:Most of these horses died in 2017. They are still dying and probably future lists should go in the 2018 thread.

Shelley Blodgett @ShelleyBlodgett
2m2 minutes ago
Names of 56 TB horses died in PR since Maria. Missing 50+ more horse names that died in backstretch stalls. 105 days of wet, muck, neglect is taking toll. Barns aren't repaired & death/killing rate rising significantly, yet they're in States now buying more horses 2 import 2 race :cry: @CaribbeanOTTB
I am fearful that more familiar names are going to show up on that list. I keep a close watch on the Camarero entries hoping for some of the missing ancient War Horses to show up, and it's not because I want to see them continue to race, but rather a relief to know that they are still alive. Several have resurfaced in the new year, but I am very concerned about a number of them that appear to be missing - in particular, a few older mares - 13yo Worthy of Wings who has 133 starts behind her, 12yo Princesa Dorada with 123 starts, and 12yo La Comeriena , with 138 starts. There are others, as well. I do understand that they need to race in order to generate much needed money, but something at Camarero is just not sitting well with me at the moment...

WarBiscuit
That's how I feel too. I want to see them show up in the entries so I know they are still alive, but that's no guarantee they are out of danger.

Camarero has to make repairs to the barns. They make excuses that they are waiting for insurance money, but that is absurd. They started racing again before meeting the basic needs of the horses. Of course some of them can't perform well when they are standing in muck and not being cared for.

This made me too sad to post originally, but they need to be exposed for what's going on there. Carrio raced in the same race as Go Black Tie (who finished 3rd). It just breaks my heart.
http://www.equibase.com/static/chart/pd ... 317PR5.pdf

Shelley Blodgett @ShelleyBlodgett
Estimate well over 100 horses that survived Hurricane Maria at PR racetrack have died since (euthanized & died in stalls) due 2 colic, founder, infection, injury, neglect.... That's >10% of ~ 900 TBs reported 2 b on backstretch during Maria. Many deaths believed 2 b preventable!

Shelley Blodgett‏ @ShelleyBlodgett
Same list, Alphabetical. Barns NOT fixed & conditions poor; some connections deciding NOT 2 do what's right if horse de-conditioned, ill, depleted, opting 2 neglect or euthanize. Non Facile & Que Problema raced Dec 23 & Carrio raced Dec 25. All raced safely, yet euth days-week after.
Image
User avatar
Sparrow Castle
Posts: 4970
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:44 pm

Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:02 pm

Shelley Blodgett @ShelleyBlodgett
More Shelley Blodgett Retweeted Shelley Blodgett
3-month moratorium on racing in PR post-hurricane exasterbated long-standing tensions between track owners & horsemen. There is escalated tensions abt purses & other $ issues. Both sides are focused on $, & fears are owners, trainers, grooms will get lower % purse or less $...1/2

Shelley Blodgett @ShelleyBlodgett
2/2 there r lawsuits & counter-lawsuits being pursued; meanwhile, ~4 horses day r dying now! Horse welfare should be priority. They are backbone of Racing & make industry possible, but mostly b/c they are living, sentiment beings. 0 excuse many horses still in unsafe, often wet/mucky stalls
BaroqueAgain1
Posts: 9885
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:16 pm

Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:12 pm

Merciful Goddess...that sounds like the owners there have just written those horses off as losses...and don't want to spend a dime to keep them alive, let alone bring them back to health. :(
'Let the old horses die, buy younger ones for racing' seems to be their business plan. :evil:
User avatar
Diver52
Posts: 1656
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:44 pm
Location: Redlands, CA

Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:05 am

It's the same as people bringing in an old dog to a shelter and asking if there are any puppies. :( But realistically, these owners are probably operating on razor thin margins at the best of times. They need animals who can race now.
I ran marathons. I saw the Taj Mahal by Moonlight. I drove Highway 1 in a convertible. I petted Zenyatta.
Ziggypop
Posts: 455
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:45 pm

Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:17 pm

Diver52 wrote:It's the same as people bringing in an old dog to a shelter and asking if there are any puppies. :( But realistically, these owners are probably operating on razor thin margins at the best of times. They need animals who can race now.
No excuse for allowing their horses to wallow in abuse. None.
RuffiantoRags
Posts: 775
Joined: Sat Nov 02, 2013 6:09 pm

Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:07 pm

Pure ignorance and lack of responsibility. These owners should never be able to own a racehorse again!
firehorse
Posts: 447
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:00 pm

Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:44 pm

Poor Unstoppable U. While they're are all sad, this one really frosts me:

Starts: 45
Firsts: 13
Seconds: 7
Thirds: 3
Earnings: $375,202

Ran in the Belmont, a stakes winner, then down the claiming ranks to Finger Lakes then Camarero. It's everything I hate about racing that keeps nudging me away from the track.
genuinerizk
Posts: 101
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2016 2:21 pm

Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:29 am

I'm not understanding why this is still happening- where is the industry support and rallying and fundraising for these horses like there is/ was for the SLR fire victims?? Is it because, for the most part, these are US racing industry cast offs that are beyond the usefulness for the connections that exiled them to PR in the first place? Sad, sad state of affairs that represent the ugly truth of the life of a cast off racehorse.
Ziggypop
Posts: 455
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:45 pm

Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:28 pm

firehorse wrote:Poor Unstoppable U. While they're are all sad, this one really frosts me:

Starts: 45
Firsts: 13
Seconds: 7
Thirds: 3
Earnings: $375,202

Ran in the Belmont, a stakes winner, then down the claiming ranks to Finger Lakes then Camarero. It's everything I hate about racing that keeps nudging me away from the track.
I am so with you. This is dispicable.
BaroqueAgain1
Posts: 9885
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:16 pm

Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:58 pm

RacingPost has a lengthy homage to the horses we lost in 2017, including jumps and flat racehorses from all over the world, as well as broodmares and stallions. A complete list by month is at the end of the article.
https://www.racingpost.com/news/in-dept ... ime/314275
Catalina
Posts: 3217
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:08 pm
Location: South Texas

Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:30 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:RacingPost has a lengthy homage to the horses we lost in 2017, including jumps and flat racehorses from all over the world, as well as broodmares and stallions. A complete list by month is at the end of the article.
https://www.racingpost.com/news/in-dept ... ime/314275
I wonder what their criteria were, because, just at a quick glance, that doesn't sound anywhere near a "complete list".
wooley85
Posts: 18
Joined: Sun Mar 20, 2016 9:38 am

Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:07 pm

Ziggypop wrote:
firehorse wrote:Poor Unstoppable U. While they're are all sad, this one really frosts me:

Starts: 45
Firsts: 13
Seconds: 7
Thirds: 3
Earnings: $375,202

Ran in the Belmont, a stakes winner, then down the claiming ranks to Finger Lakes then Camarero. It's everything I hate about racing that keeps nudging me away from the track.
I am so with you. This is dispicable.
PR has been deteriorating for years....and not just TB racing. A few years ago I saw pictures of dead TB's laying on grass outside of barns. TB's that don't win in PR are dead. And this was maybe 5 years ago when racing in PR was "better".

US owners (not all) use PR as a dumping ground for TB's that are done in the US. The "illustrious" Steve Byk and his Dee Tree stables got rid of Toy Cannon, a DeeTee syndicate horse trained by C. Simon. Several weeks ago, I was reading about the Carribean TB group on twitter that had a few horses resting in some barn somewhere. One was Toy Cannon. I posted on facebook what I posted above re Toy Cannon. Thankfully Toy Cannon was shipped back to the US.

TB racing was dismal BEFORE the hurricane. Now, TB are just left to die whereever they are standing or laying down.
Any owner that ships a horse to PR in whatever "future" is left in PR racing would be more merciful if they just euth the horse. But mercy is not in this scenerio.
User avatar
mariasmon
Posts: 3963
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:38 am

Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:07 pm

Mesmeric (o/o Toussaud)
User avatar
Mylute
Posts: 1328
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:20 pm
Location: Alabama

Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:30 am

Rick's Natural Star passed away last November, per an article posted earlier this year by Barbara Livingston.

http://www.drf.com/blogs/remembering-ricks-natural-star
"I recently learned that Ricks Natural Star died last November 27. Winters had become very difficult for the old boy and, rather than have him suffer through another, his connections made the decision to let him go."
Rick's Natural Star (Natural Native x Malaysian Star, by Crimson Star)
26: 2-5-2, $6,092
3-31-89 ~ 1̶1̶-̶2̶7̶-̶1̶7̶ ∞
"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it."
~ Robin Williams 1951 - 2̶0̶1̶4̶ ∞
Post Reply