In memoriam 2017

serenassong

Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:02 pm

mariasmon wrote:Lure has died, per Claiborne tweet:

https://twitter.com/claibornefarm/statu ... 7923059714
Just saw that, RIP
"I reject your reality, and substitute my own!"- Mythbusters
"Oh, What fresh Hell is this?!"- Sheldon Cooper(quoted from Dorothy Parker)- Big Bang Theory
"Sometimes I think he's the King of Stupid" - Old Man- Pawn Stars
BaroqueAgain1

Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:21 pm

Bloodhorse has a nice photo with their brief piece. What a handsome horse.
https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... -at-age-28
TapitsGal

Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:45 pm

It saddens me that Lure is gone. Another legend lost, but he did live a long fulfilling life and was greatly loved. No doubt a devestating day at Claiborne today
Sparrow Castle

Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:03 pm

Shelley Blodgett‏ @ShelleyBlodgett
SALIENTITO was euthanized today due 2 founder. Piroplasmosis prevented him from returning to KY breeder’s dghter last month. @CaribbeanOTTB tried since April 2 retire & finally did after Maria. Had 2 many health issues just couldn’t overcome & was in pain we couldn’t help.

Vet evaluated him & why he wasn’t gaining weight, was lame, etc. Vet determined chronic laminitis (was foundering), ulcers, anemia & a host of other issues. This poor boy raced 125 times. Wish we could have gotten him sooner & helped him. Salientito will always be [hearts].
Sparrow Castle

Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:25 am

OldFriendsCabinCreek‏ @OldFriendsCC
Today we lost sweet Midnight Secret. Somehow he fractured his hock beyond repair. He was such a warrior in racing, good boy, & beautiful ambassador for Retirement. So loved & missed deeply @ dinner tonight. This photo reflects the depth of the ❤️ of horses. Run free Midnight...
Midnight Secret is the dark brown horse. Run with the heavenly herd, ol' warrior.
Ziggypop

Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:38 pm

Sparrow Castle wrote:Shelley Blodgett‏ @ShelleyBlodgett
SALIENTITO was euthanized today due 2 founder. Piroplasmosis prevented him from returning to KY breeder’s dghter last month. @CaribbeanOTTB tried since April 2 retire & finally did after Maria. Had 2 many health issues just couldn’t overcome & was in pain we couldn’t help.

Vet evaluated him & why he wasn’t gaining weight, was lame, etc. Vet determined chronic laminitis (was foundering), ulcers, anemia & a host of other issues. This poor boy raced 125 times. Wish we could have gotten him sooner & helped him. Salientito will always be [hearts].
125 times? That's appalling.
WaquoitNBroadBrush

Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:12 am

Check out the PPs from the LARC simulcast tracks in South America sometime. There are horses in Chile, Uruguay and Argentina with well over 200 starts, running 40 times a year or more. I assume that in some of those races they aren't persevered with -- as they are outclassed and only in the races to fill the gate and give the numbers and names players many more ways to throw their money away. Otherwise, I don't see how any thoroughbred could withstand that sort of workload.
BaroqueAgain1

Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:34 am

I've seen those numbers with Standardbreds, but the stress of racing on a harness horse is lower than on a TB. :shock:
Flanders

Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:54 am

WaquoitNBroadBrush wrote:Check out the PPs from the LARC simulcast tracks in South America sometime. There are horses in Chile, Uruguay and Argentina with well over 200 starts, running 40 times a year or more. I assume that in some of those races they aren't persevered with -- as they are outclassed and only in the races to fill the gate and give the numbers and names players many more ways to throw their money away. Otherwise, I don't see how any thoroughbred could withstand that sort of workload.
Maybe they use the races to condition the horse instead of working them?

Shame Salientito didn't get to enjoy his retirement. Hopefully the rest of the horses brought from Puerto Rico after Hurricane Maria continue to improve.
WaquoitNBroadBrush

Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:09 pm

Flanders wrote:
WaquoitNBroadBrush wrote:Check out the PPs from the LARC simulcast tracks in South America sometime. There are horses in Chile, Uruguay and Argentina with well over 200 starts, running 40 times a year or more. I assume that in some of those races they aren't persevered with -- as they are outclassed and only in the races to fill the gate and give the numbers and names players many more ways to throw their money away. Otherwise, I don't see how any thoroughbred could withstand that sort of workload.
Maybe they use the races to condition the horse instead of working them?
Perhaps. But there's so little money in South American racing that horsemen probably run their horses often just to keep whatever they can manage to scratch out coming in. Not sure, but I would bet the tracks there pay out down to last place, like many of our minor tracks do.

I follow UK racing, not South American, and one of the first things that stunned me about the game in the UK is how small the purses are for everything but the "listed" and "group" (stakes) races. When Godolphin has a promising 2-year-old, they run him or her in a maiden race at someplace like Newbury or Haydock for a purse of around $7,000, because that's what maidens run for in England -- no $60,000 to $80,000 NYRA-style MSWs to be found there, not even at the top courses. And the purses really don't get much better unless you have a really top class horse. So you have horses over there running twice a week. I've seen some run two straight days, once on a synthetic track like Kempton, the next on the grass somewhere else. Even the jumpers do the back-to-back thing quite a bit.

So are we babying our thoroughbreds on this continent, are the Brits (and South Americans) being unnecessarily cruel to their thoroughbreds, or are they just breeding a tougher thoroughbred elsewhere?
BaroqueAgain1

Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:41 pm

What they're NOT doing is running them on hard dirt surfaces. Turf and synth may require a horse to be fit enough to handle the softer surface, but there is much less concussion on the skeletal system.
Sparrow Castle

Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:05 pm

Sparrow Castle wrote:
CoronadosQuest wrote:Many Clouds

http://www.racinguk.com/news/article/48 ... tenham-win

That horse looked absolutely exhausted as he was crossing the finish line too :( RIP Many Clouds.
Next to the Pegasus, this is the race I was really looking forward to watching today...really puts a damper on a great day of racing. RIP Many Clouds, you always gave your all.
Get out the hankies.

Many Clouds tribute by former work-rider wins award at US film festival
A film documenting the rise to prominence of Many Clouds, directed by the 2015 Grand National hero's former work-rider Nathan Horrocks, has won an award at the Equus Film Festival in New York.

Horrocks, a former jump jockey, was honoured with the award for best international director at a ceremony at the Helen Mills Theater for his feature titled Many Clouds: The People's Horse.

"I entered the film into the festival to share the Many Clouds story with an American audience, to show how much he was loved, but I never expected to win," said Horrocks.

"This is my tribute to him to say thank you for what he has done for me, both personally and professionally, he literally changed my life."
https://www.racingpost.com/news/news/ma ... val/309328
Sunline

Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:14 am

Pentire(GB) dies at the age of 25,He stood at Rich Hill Stud in New Zealand.

http://www.richhillstud.co.nz/news/2017 ... ic-pentire

Sunline (1995-2009)- Queen of the Turf/ Mare of the World.
mariasmon

Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:46 pm

There is a 2017 death report on file for Aruna.
Sparrow Castle

Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:05 pm

mariasmon wrote:There is a 2017 death report on file for Aruna.
Looks like she had a filly by Karakontie this year. Very sad.
djnorth

Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:28 pm

David Cassidy passed away at 67. I know he owned horses for awhile and was married to Meryl Tanz for awhile. I think he filed for bankruptcy in 2015 so don't know if he still had them. Liked his mare In Neon.

Hope he can rest easy.
Sparrow Castle

Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:46 pm

djnorth wrote:David Cassidy passed away at 67. I know he owned horses for awhile and was married to Meryl Tanz for awhile. I think he filed for bankruptcy in 2015 so don't know if he still had them. Liked his mare In Neon.

Hope he can rest easy.
It made me sad. This was published yesterday and gives more information about his life with horses. I hope he's surrounded by horses.

Long-Time Industry Supporter Cassidy in Critical Condition
The Thoroughbred racing world was saddened to hear that entertainer David Cassidy, a successful owner/breeder, is currently in a Florida hospital in critical condition following a reported organ failure.

Though known to the world as Keith Partridge in the ’70s television show The Partridge Family, the 67-year-old maintained a connection to racing, including donating his time to equine charitable causes, even after he had to exit the business as a Thoroughbred breeder/owner a few years ago due to financial reasons.
More: http://www.thoroughbreddailynews.com/lo ... condition/
djnorth

Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:47 am

I was sad about him too. I had the young crush on him and gave a listen to some of his post-Partridge stuff. It wasn't bad for the most part, especially one called Lyin' to Myself. I think there's a You Tube video.

He always seemed to love his horses as the article attests.
Prairie Bayou

Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:57 pm

Blu Moon Ace broke down in the Fabulous Strike Stakes and was euthanized.

"AND ALYSHEBA AMERICA'S HORSE HAS DONE IT!!!" ~ Tom Durkin 1988 Breeder's Cup Classic
ThreeMustangs

Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:50 pm

El Padrino is gone due to colic. He was only 8.

https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... ic-surgery